PDA

View Full Version : Sun-Times article today - jumping ship?

Tom in Boston
10-13-2003, 10:02 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/cubs/cst-nws-sox13.html

Disappointing. I'm writing a quick e-mail to the author thanking him for writing something, anything about the other half of Chicago baseball fans but letting him know that the reports of Sox fans jumping ship and committing treason, his own included, are greatly exaggerated :smile:

KingXerxes
10-13-2003, 10:10 AM
That's just great. A White Sox bar where a send-off party is being held by White Sox fans for a guy going to Federal Prison for a drug conviction.

This should really do wonders for the image.

Viva Magglio
10-13-2003, 10:26 AM
While we recognize the right of each individual White Sox fan to exercise his or her own free will in deciding how to react to the Cubs' success, I think the media is doing a great disservice (how shocking) in trying to portray rank-and-file White Sox fans as being on the Cubs' bandwagon. In reality, so many of us have jumped on the Marlins' huge bandwagon that is docked at Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale, the Marlins' bandwagon is in danger of sinking merely due to all the weight.

I wish someone from the media would report what I REALLY think is happening with us White Sox fans and the Cubs success. One (obscure?) bar in Bridgeport does not a White Sox fans' consensus make. Why don't they go to places like Schaller's, Jimbo's, or the bars on Western between 103rd and 115th? These people at Puffer's are complete morons. I think our fandom will alone be ten times greater without these dopes.

Tom in Boston
10-13-2003, 10:33 AM
E-mail sent. I erred on the side of caution and courtesy, lest my words be used to justify a rant against Sox fans' alleged negativity and hooliganism.

GoSox2K3
10-13-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
That's just great. A White Sox bar where a send-off party is being held by White Sox fans for a guy going to Federal Prison for a drug conviction.

LOL! That fits perfectly with the media's idea of a Sox fan.

Actually, I didn't think the article was all that bad. It's not like they were talking about a bunch of Sox fans totally going over to the dark side and becoming Cubs fans.

In '98 - with the White Flag trade still fresh in our memories and the Cubs making a playoff run, the Tribune ran a totally disgusting article about all these people who used to be Sox fans that totally switched allegiance. They dug up people who came from generations of Sox fans and now had fallen madly in love with the Cubs and hated the Sox. That was the most shameless Sox-bashing article I ever read. This one doesn't even come close.

Viva Magglio
10-13-2003, 10:52 AM

Does anyone smell a subtle smear campaign here?

34 Inch Stick
10-13-2003, 11:05 AM
Ahoy matees, I will never abandon this ship. Those scurvey dogs will taste the steel of my blade when we get the good ship white sox righted.

soxtalker
10-13-2003, 11:08 AM
I'm not one for conspiracy media theories in baseball. Fans tend to take the smallest negative comment by someone in the media as a great insult. But this really doesn't look like a great article. If someone wanted to really get a feel for how Sox fans were reacting, he/she could go to several bars on the S - SW side.

npdempse
10-13-2003, 11:11 AM
I wish someone from the media would report what I REALLY think is happening with us White Sox fans and the Cubs success. One (obscure?) bar in Bridgeport does not a White Sox fans' consensus make. Why don't they go to places like Schaller's, Jimbo's, or the bars on Western between 103rd and 115th? These people at Puffer's are complete morons. I think our fandom will alone be ten times greater without these dopes. [/B]

Didn't bother with the article, but Puffer's is a very nice bar, with very nice folks; definitely a decent place to watch a Sox game. Also the only place in the city south of the loop where you can get a really high quality beer.

bobj4400
10-13-2003, 11:20 AM
John Kass did a nice article in the Cubune today...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-0310120310oct12,1,1976424.column?coll=cs-home-headlines

Hangar18
10-13-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
......These people at Puffer's are complete morons. I think our fandom will alone be ten times greater without these dopes.

This is Very Funny. On saturday afternoon, I helped my sister
move into her new place, in Bridgeport, and afterwards a bit Hot and in need of a bevarage, walked down the block to Puffers.
I go there from time to time, nice crowd. However, the Place was full of 5 or 6 cub fans, and they shouted with Glee the happenings of the evening. I didnt stay long, had plans later in the evening, BUT, always wanting to get to the bottom of a story, I talked to these people. We talked Baseball, Economics, Salary Caps, the Pirates etc, and dont let that article fool you. There were more SILENT sox fans in the place than cub fans. They were watching, with DisInterest. The Bartender, under his breath Muttered to himself "i hate cub fans" while he poured a drink. Of The cub fans that were in there, 1/2 WERE NOT REGULARS. YOu heard it HERE First kids. Always takes someone from WSI to TELL THE TRUTH

woodenleg
10-13-2003, 11:48 AM

LOL - sounds like "25th hour".

I dunno, I'm sick of worrying about what our neighbors to the north will think. I'd rather have a realistic image than an unrealistic, pious and dopey one. If they want to think we're all
drug-dealers, then screw 'em. Lots of people out there have relatives who have been to jail for drug crap. Chad and Tad sniff coke and get away with it - many of us don't.

It's only the (deliberate?) placement of this fact in the story that irritates me.

Hangar18
10-13-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by woodenleg

It's only the (deliberate?) placement of this fact in the story that irritates me.

Im used to this already. I was in the SAME BAR, Talking to the SAME PEOPLE, and because I asked BETTER QUESTIONS, and DIDNT HIDE some Details, its a Different Stoory if I wrote it.
I wish they would REPORT THE NEWS, instead of CREATING THE NEWS. Then again, the Chicago Media isnt one to Let FACTS get in the way of a Good Story :angry:

bobj4400
10-13-2003, 12:14 PM
Anybody see Amy Jacobsen's pathetic attempt at objective journalism outside PP Stadium after the game yesterday on NBC? Constantly referring to the Cubs as 'we' and repeatedly saying "we only need one more victory" etc. It was mind numbing.

fuzzy_patters
10-13-2003, 12:26 PM
Joey Bova Jr. said, "I just crossed over. I put this on and I felt like there was no turning back. I feel like Benedict Arnold. My dad may shoot me."

Is this moron any relation, PHG? I hope fence-sitting isn't a family trait.

duke of dorwood
10-13-2003, 01:11 PM
The only effect this has had on me is I hate them and their fans more than ever. None of these crapsters wore their team stuff until recently. They are as phoney our ex manager . You think the media will refer to the Sox as Unlovable losers now?

KingXerxes
10-13-2003, 01:34 PM
Somebody ought to remind Walter Jacobsen (a Cubs bat boy in the 1950's) that in 1983 he switched allegiences over to the White Sox while on the air doing the Channel 2 News in Chicago. I can't stand this clown. In 1984 when the Cubs were winning their division, Johnny Morris (then the CBS sports guys) went to great pains every night to remind Jacobsen of his 180 degree turn in the prior year.

The man lost a libel suit to a CIGARETTE COMPANY for God's Sake. The Cubs can keep him.

FarmerAndy
10-13-2003, 01:47 PM
McNally's on Western has had big crowds cheering for the Marlins. A buddy of mine went the other night and said that everybody got a beer on the house everytime the Marlins hit a home-run.

That would be a good story for the papers to pick up on.

Dadawg_77
10-13-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
McNally's on Western has had big crowds cheering for the Marlins. A buddy of mine went the other night and said that everybody got a beer on the house everytime the Marlins hit a home-run.

That would be a good story for the papers to pick up on.

John Kass has that in his column today.

thepaulbowski
10-13-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
These people at Puffer's are complete morons. I think our fandom will alone be ten times greater without these dopes.

Uhhh....I frequent Puffers & I am not a dope. Don't paint all of Puffer's patron with the same brush. :smile:

alohafri
10-13-2003, 03:07 PM
If Sox fans want to go to a Southside bar, STAY AWAY from Corrigan's on 111th. We were there when the scrubs won their division, and we arrived over an hour after the game ended. EVERY TV in the bar had the post game celebration on, AND the intercom system had the sound of it on full blast. This was while the Sox were playing. We had to ask to have one of the TVs put on the Sox game. We had to wait until the scrub celebration was over before they turned off the sound. To top it all off, one of the bartenders (a female) was wearing a stupid scrub shirt along with a stupid scrub floppy hat.

The scrub fans in there were making snide comments for us to hear. (We were minding our own business but Mr. Aloha was wearing a Sox cap).

Will I root for the scrubs now that they're deep into the playoffs? NOT ON YOUR LIFE. I don't care that they are a CHICAGO TEAM. The scrubs with their beloved CHEATER, their obnoxious bandwagon fans, and their scumbag media ownership can all go to h*ll and take their ugly stinkin outdoor bar/urinal with them. :angry:

---Mrs.(ok maybe I'm a little PMS) Aloha

(and I speak for Mr. Aloha too)

cheeses_h_rice
10-13-2003, 03:18 PM
May I sum up the majority of WSI posters' feelings thusly?

**** the Cubs and **** their fans.

Viva Magglio
10-13-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
Uhhh....I frequent Puffers & I am not a dope. Don't paint all of Puffer's patron with the same brush. :smile:

Let my clarify. The people at Puffer's who decided to dump the White Sox are root for the Cubs because they are winning are dopes. I was not referring to Puffer's customers in general.

GoSox2K3
10-13-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
Is this moron any relation, PHG? I hope fence-sitting isn't a family trait.

Say it ain't so!

34 Inch Stick
10-14-2003, 10:48 AM
Isn't Puffer the English word for a homosexual? Not that there is anything wrong with it.

MarqSox
10-14-2003, 10:51 AM
I e-mailed the author of this article and he wrote me back. Basically said he got a bunch of e-mails from ticked off Sox fans and said he understood our complaints. He also said that he wanted to include a few paragraphs about how most Sox fans would never jump to the dark side under any circumstances, but he ran out of room.

For whatever that's worth.

Hangar18
10-14-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski

Really? I'll bet Ive seen you before (though I dont know you)

Viva Magglio
10-14-2003, 12:15 PM
As if yesterday's article was not enough, the Sun-Times had this article (http://) which is basically arguing that Cubbiness continues to infest Soxdom. An overwhelming majority of us are anti-Cubs hard-liners, but the media report that.

Mammoo
10-14-2003, 01:20 PM

Hilariously put!!!! :D:

Foulke You
10-14-2003, 01:44 PM
Why don't these idiot reporters come to WSI to find out what Sox fans REALLY think about the Cubs? This site has the most rabid collection of Sox fans on the planet from all parts of the country and all walks of life. Heck, we even have some overseas Sox fans on this site. You get a wider demographic of Sox fans than you would at one local south side bar also and you wouldn't have to leave the office! Of course, this line of thinking would require a brain which is something that many sports reporters lack.

Tom in Boston
10-14-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I e-mailed the author of this article and he wrote me back. Basically said he got a bunch of e-mails from ticked off Sox fans and said he understood our complaints. He also said that he wanted to include a few paragraphs about how most Sox fans would never jump to the dark side under any circumstances, but he ran out of room.

For whatever that's worth.

"I was going to include an accurate conclusion to my article, but I couldn't make room for it, so I just left the article misleading. Oh well."

:?: