PDA

View Full Version : Willie Harris

poorme
10-13-2003, 09:46 AM
I'd like to get some rational opinions on Willie Harris. His minor league numbers suggest that he can hit a little. So far his major league numbers suggest otherwise. However, he's never had a chance to play day-in day-out for anything resembling an extended period. He's got about 300 AB's over three seasons, and he's hit about .210. I've seen him enough of him at 2B to see that he is kind of shaky. But no worse than Ray Durham was at the same age. I haven't seen enough of him to know if he can play CF or not. I'm not in love with this guy by any means, but I just can't see paying Roberto Alomar big dollars. If it's not Harris, we could find a dozen or so good-field, no-hit secondbasemen.

TornLabrum
10-13-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by poorme
I'd like to get some rational opinions on Willie Harris. His minor league numbers suggest that he can hit a little. So far his major league numbers suggest otherwise. However, he's never had a chance to play day-in day-out for anything resembling an extended period. He's got about 300 AB's over three seasons, and he's hit about .210. I've seen him enough of him at 2B to see that he is kind of shaky. But no worse than Ray Durham was at the same age. I haven't seen enough of him to know if he can play CF or not. I'm not in love with this guy by any means, but I just can't see paying Roberto Alomar big dollars. If it's not Harris, we could find a dozen or so good-field, no-hit secondbasemen.

His major league numbers suggest he can hit very little.

poorme
10-13-2003, 10:17 AM
I agree. So far. I guess it depends what you define as a representative sample. If you call up a guy and he goes 0-5, I would say that would be too small a sample to determine if he can hit. Compare that to say, Ron Karkovice, who had 2600 career AB's. I think it's safe to say Karkovice couldn't hit. Is 300 AB's over several big league call-ups enough of a sample to conclude that he can't hit? I'd say give him one last chance. I think at very best he could hit .280, 80 walks, 40 SB, 1 HR (inside the park). The thought of paying R. Alomar 3-4 million kills me. He's basically Rey Sanchez.

TornLabrum
10-13-2003, 10:28 AM
I agree. So far. I guess it depends what you define as a representative sample. If you call up a guy and he goes 0-5, I would say that would be too small a sample to determine if he can hit. Compare that to say, Ron Karkovice, who had 2600 career AB's. I think it's safe to say Karkovice couldn't hit. Is 300 AB's over several big league call-ups enough of a sample to conclude that he can't hit? I'd say give him one last chance. I think at very best he could hit .280, 80 walks, 40 SB, 1 HR (inside the park). The thought of paying R. Alomar 3-4 million kills me. He's basically Rey Sanchez.

I think those are very optimistic numbers for a guy who can hit the ball about as far as Mike Caruso.

hold2dibber
10-13-2003, 10:32 AM

I would not pay R. Alomar 3-4 mm/year. But I think I would be willing to sign him to a 2 year deal for about $3-4 mm total (i.e., $1.5 to $2 mm/year). I think that's a fair price for a guy who is a very good fielder, a very good baserunner and a very good bunter. He also gets on base at a reasonable clip, though he has no power left at all whatsoever.

poorme
10-13-2003, 10:38 AM
The fact is, Harris won't get a real starting opportunity. It would be nice if he could become some sort of supersub guy who could play OF, 2B, maybe 3B in a pinch. Pinch runner. If he could just keep his avg > .250.

MHOUSE
10-13-2003, 10:39 AM
I'd take Alomar for $5 million total over 2 years. But you're right more than a million or two a season is pushing it. Harris hit a little bit in the games after the Twins clinched. I'd give him a week or so in the beginning of the season to play everyday and see what he can do. If it's still .200 or lower and no walks then I DFA him and bring in Miles or Robbie or whomever.

TheRockinMT
10-13-2003, 02:26 PM
I would predict that Willie Harris will be our 2B person in 2004 if we don't resign Alomar. Aaron Miles might be his backup or work with Graffy in the infield relief role. I liked what I saw of Harris and his hitting stroke the last couple weeks of the season. The other plus he has is speed.