PDA

View Full Version : Veeck As In Wreck: The Motion Picture

Chisox_cali
10-12-2003, 09:20 PM
Just saw this in the production listings, it's currently "In Devolpment" The only cast listed so far is Bill Murray, so I assume he'll be playing Veeck, but don't quote me on that.

Just passing it along.

idseer
10-12-2003, 10:07 PM
i cannot STAND bill murray!

Chisox_cali
10-12-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by idseer

Really? I love him, Lost in Translation is the best movie this year. He's flawless in that movie.

GoSox2K3
10-12-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by idseer

I can imagine the movie now..... 95% of the movie is dedicated to Veeck's involvement with the Cubs and only a passing reference to the Sox.

Brian26
10-12-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Really? I love him, Lost in Translation is the best movie this year.

You obviously haven't seen School of Rock.

nasox
10-13-2003, 12:19 AM
you are right. here is the "official" web site for the movie
http://www.redeemable.com/veeck_as_in_wreck.htm

Chisox_cali
10-13-2003, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
You obviously haven't seen School of Rock.

I have but I still think Lost in Translation was better, and I loved School of Rock....

MarqSox
10-13-2003, 07:22 AM
SYNOPSIS
VEECK AS IN WRECK chronicles the life of the late White Sox owner known as the P.T. Barnum of baseball, Bill Veeck. Veeck is remembered for developing the exploding scoreboard, sending a midget to the plate when the team needed a walk and creating movable outfield fences, which would move out when the opposing teamís star hitters were up at bat. He was also regarded as the everyman who would enjoy his games sitting with the crowds in the stands and talk baseball with patrons at the local bars.

Sounds like the Sox will get a good amount of attention. John McNaughton, a Chicago-born director, is in charge ... anybody know if he's a Sox or Cubs fan?

Clembasbal
10-13-2003, 11:08 AM
I know of the guy that wrote the script up. His main point in the movie, what he wanted it to center around, was Disco Demolition.

And they wanted Jack Black to play Steve Dahl, but they haven't gotten anywhere with that yet.

doublem23
10-13-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
I can imagine the movie now..... 95% of the movie is dedicated to Veeck's involvement with the Cubs and only a passing reference to the Sox.

They'll stick the exploding scoreboard in Wrigley. Maybe, if we're lucky, they'll just blame Sox fans for Disco Demolition Night.

TDog
10-13-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3

Bill Murray is too old to play the young Wrigley-ivy planting Veeck, but he could play the 1980s Veeck who used to sit in the Wrigley bleachers and complain about how he didn't like going to (old) Comiskey anymore.

woodenleg
10-13-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
They'll stick the exploding scoreboard in Wrigley. Maybe, if we're lucky, they'll just blame Sox fans for Disco Demolition Night.

We should do what other groups do if they fear they'll be mis-represented in a film : write letters asking that they get it right.

I like Bill Murray, I'm sorry. I will forgive him for being a Cub fan if he's involved in this cross-town gesture.

I just hope it's not an exploitation movie.

Brian26
10-13-2003, 11:42 AM
ESPN Classics recently showed their hour long tribute to Veeck. Some really good old footage of Disco Demolition and some of the other promotions at the time.

KingXerxes
10-13-2003, 02:52 PM
This movie could be great if it would take an "Ed Wood" type of perspective. Show Veeck as the imperfect yet consummate showman, running the team on a shoe-string, and doing a great job of it. Sure no World Series, but a hell of a lot of fun.

ihatethecubs
10-13-2003, 03:09 PM
theyre just continuing the grand tradition of cub fans playing white sox related characters (john cusack and d.b. sweeney).

KingXerxes
10-13-2003, 03:23 PM
As an aside, who are the celebrities who claim the White Sox as their team. Every year we hear about Jim Belushi, Bill Murray, John Cusack et al ad nasuem. Who are some off the popular types that follow the beloved?

Chisox353014
10-13-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
As an aside, who are the celebrities who claim the White Sox as their team. Every year we hear about Jim Belushi, Bill Murray, John Cusack et al ad nasuem. Who are some off the popular types that follow the beloved?

Ummm.........there's Bernie Mac.......that guy from Styx......and....

BackInBlack
10-13-2003, 03:41 PM
For the record, I saw John Cusack on Conan O'Brien (I think it was Conan, anyway), and he claimed his allegiance to the Go Go White Sox.

Maybe he's like me, growing up on the North Side as a Cubs fan, but ultimately seeing the light later in life and morphing into a TRUE Chicago baseball fan ó a Chicago White Sox baseball fan.

For the record, I read that Gayle Sayers is a Sox fan and so is Norm from Cheers. Dr. Dre is often spotted sporting the Black & White on his dome.

woodenleg
10-13-2003, 03:55 PM
I saw Christina Aguilera wearing a vintage 1983 Sox cap on VH1, but I don't know if that means anything.

I understand Russell Crowe was at a Sox game.

And Jerry Springer was at the ballpark when I was there.

Nelson Algren, famous dead writer, was a Sox fan.

TornLabrum
10-13-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014

Either of those would make a great Bill Veeck!

Hangar18
10-13-2003, 04:38 PM
I can tell whats going to happen already.
"Touchstone Pictures presents.....Before the World Series Championship, before Sammy, before Harry, before the Ivy....
there was ..... (scene shows Murray walking onto
Wrigley Field) there was BILL VEECK.

the movie will be all ABOUT THE CUBS, and their "tradition",
how lucky the Cubs and their "fans" were to have Bill Veeck.
From the "Na na na na hey hey hey" (which the film will point out SOX fans stole) to the exploding scoreboard (which the SOX will be blamed for stealing ) this movie will NOT help the SOX

KingXerxes
10-13-2003, 04:45 PM
That would be hard to believe. If it were to be about the Cubs only - it would have to end sometime in the mid-1930's.

Veeck really made his mark later on as an owner (Browns/Orioles, White Sox).

Hangar18
10-13-2003, 04:54 PM

We had a REally good thread regarding this called
Famous Sox Fans a while back. I remembered that, because a week later, I went to the cub board, and some cub fan saw what we were Doing, acknowledged us as lame, then promptly copied our thread. ahhh memories

Hangar18
10-13-2003, 04:55 PM
That would be hard to believe. If it were to be about the Cubs only - it would have to end sometime in the mid-1930's.

Veeck really made his mark later on as an owner (Browns/Orioles, White Sox).

As in Media.....So In Hollywood:
Never let Facts Get in the Way of a Good Story

jortafan
10-13-2003, 05:10 PM
My understanding is that this project has been "under development" for more than a decade. Bill Murray has long said he wanted to play Veeck in a film, and he supposedly has the blessing of minor league promotor Mike Veeck and the Veeck family.

But that hasn't resulted in anything approaching a script or work being done toward making a movie.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this film to get done.

fuzzy_patters
10-13-2003, 05:21 PM

Former SNL and current National Lampoon's Funny Money star Jimmy Pardo is a die-hard Sox fan.

doublem23
10-13-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014

I read that Bernie Mac went North on us when the Sox traded Sosa...

We got Daley.

vegyrex
10-13-2003, 06:37 PM
Don't forget Richard Roeper is a Sox fan.

If they do cover the disco demolition part of Veeck's life and Jack Black plays Stever, it should be pretty funny.

I hope.

Lip Man 1
10-13-2003, 08:14 PM

and never let reality and truth get in the way of the worldwide, vast anti Sox media conspiracy! Remember they are everywhere...spending all day figuring out ways to humble, humiliate and disparge the Chicago White Sox baseball franchise.

They could be working for the Federal Court, the Chicago Tribune, the city of Chicago Sanitation department or even (gasp) Hollywood!

All with one thing in mind, the end totally and completely of the franchise known as White Sox and the eradication of their loyal fans.

Like the former Communists of the 1950's, they are out to get you! So be careful where you go, whom you associate with and what you do for a living.

You May Be Next!!!!!

Lip

Thunderstruck30
10-13-2003, 08:31 PM
Tom Hanks is a Sox fan.

StillMissOzzie
10-13-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by BackInBlack

For the record, I read that Gayle Sayers is a Sox fan and so is Norm from Cheers. Dr. Dre is often spotted sporting the Black & White on his dome.

That "Norm from Cheers" is George Wendt, who has a Chicago area connection. His sister is married to former DuPage county state's attorney Joe Birkett.

Here's one for you, George.

:gulp:

SMO

StillMissOzzie
10-13-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by woodenleg
I saw Christina Aguilera wearing a vintage 1983 Sox cap on VH1, but I don't know if that means anything.

Nice, but was she even BORN by 1983?

SMO

LuvSox
10-14-2003, 07:53 AM
Who gives a rats ass about celebrities? We're all Sox fans, right? Who is there game in, game out? We are.

By the way, WGN ran a small interview with Bernie Mac this morning. He says he is done with the Sox, comparing them to having sex with an ugly girl. Of course WGN played this irrelevant piece in the middle of a Cub-Love segment.

Hangar18
10-14-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
I read that Bernie Mac went North on us when the Sox traded Sosa...

Thats not True. BMac was asked to sing the 7th inning stretch one day, and when they do the little Interview, Chimp asked:

Chimp: So tell us about your show....
BMac: (blah blah blah, tells him about show)
Chimp: Now your originally from chicago arent you?
BMac: yeah I was, grew up on the South Side of Chicago
Chimp: Now wait a second, if you grew up on the ....
BMac: (cuts him off) White Sox
Chimp: (laughing) so you grew up a ....
BMac: (again cutting him off) White Sox. we grew up
watching the white sox, (tells story of taking the "L" to the games)
Bernie Mac is real, and doesnt Do What the Media Tells him to do.

FJA
10-14-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by woodenleg

I understand Russell Crowe was at a Sox game.

And Jerry Springer was at the ballpark when I was there.

Nelson Algren, famous dead writer, was a Sox fan.

I was at that game Russell Crowe was at ... he didn't seem terribly interested in the game, and IIRC, he was at the Flubs game the next day to sing TMOTTBG (and even then it was more a PR thing than anything else).

We get Nelson Algren, they get Jim Belushi ... advantage Sox. Big time.

I also saw Cusack claim allegiance to the Sox, and his sister is also a Sox fan.

Bill Murray is one of my favorite actors/comedians, and has been ever since I saw him in Ghostbusters as a kid. It's unfortunate that he's a Flub fan, but at least he's a true fan. I can respect the misguided; I can't respect the bandwagoners (see almost everyone who sings TMOTTBG).

ewokpelts
10-14-2003, 11:34 AM
Hey all,

Bernie's a Sox fan. As for him being "done with them"....I can kinda agree with him, after this latest choke. When Mr. 3000 was shooting, Bernie wanted to shoot at Comiskey. The Sox wouldnt let him, although I suspect it had more to do with scheduling diferences( mr 3 000 shot in milwaukee around the time of all star week). Also, the Cubs refused him as well. In an interview in SI, Bernie was disapointed that he couldnt shoot in Chicago.

George Wendt is a Sox fan. He even did a Documentary on Old Comiskey back in 1990. He had a great story about how his old man took him and his sister out ofschool to see game one of the 59 series. As they walked into the park, hi dad said " enjoy this, for the White Sox wont do this agian in your lifetime".......how true

Gene

xil357
10-14-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

and never let reality and truth get in the way of the worldwide, vast anti Sox media conspiracy! Remember they are everywhere...spending all day figuring out ways to humble, humiliate and disparge the Chicago White Sox baseball franchise. Lip

Lip, if you are a media professional you have to acknowledge that without exception, the corporate-owned media is the in business of making profits, not journalism. And you have to acknowledge, if you are intellectually honest, that Hangar is right, that for all intents and purposes the media is Hollywood and Hollywood is the media. And Hangar is EXACTLY RIGHT, As in Media.....So In Hollywood: Never let Facts Get in the Way of a Good Story

The only big-name journalist today who reports the news straight, profits-be-damned, is Bill Moyers. Moyers is the only one I would trust to report on the Sox, and Michael Moore is the only big-name filmmaker I would trust to tell the story of the White Sox and Bill Veeck.

Lip, you are one of the few pro sports writers I trust to give it to me straight about the White Sox, because your Sox reportage isn't filtered through a corporation seeking to make money first and foremost. I also trust you because your White Sox reportage is not being edited by someone who is on the Sox payroll, or the payroll of a company that has a legitimate business interest in seeing the White Sox succeed or fail. You give us the straight dope. You are an honest journalist when it comes to the Sox, and I thank you for your dogged pursuit of the truth.

But just like Kiley and Rosenbloom and Sullivan and Mariotti, et.al., you bury your head in the sand when it comes to discussing your chosen profession, seeking instead to resort to lampooning those who choose to point out the various and plainly manifest pro-Cubs conflicts of interest and biases in the media at large.

I do not mean to insult or demean you or your profession. But you have to admit that the modern corporate profit-driven media is by its very nature neither fair, nor balanced, nor unbiased. And I hope that it bothers you as much as it bothers me.

TDog
10-14-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
Who gives a rats ass about celebrities? We're all Sox fans, right? Who is there game in, game out? We are.

By the way, WGN ran a small interview with Bernie Mac this morning. He says he is done with the Sox, comparing them to having sex with an ugly girl. Of course WGN played this irrelevant piece in the middle of a Cub-Love segment.

I don't know who Bernie Mac is, but he sounds like one sensitive dude.

Hangar18
10-14-2003, 12:26 PM

and never let reality and truth get in the way of the worldwide, vast anti Sox media conspiracy! Remember they are everywhere...spending all day figuring out ways to humble, humiliate and disparge the Chicago White Sox baseball franchise.

They could be working for the Federal Court, the Chicago Tribune, the city of Chicago Sanitation department or even (gasp) Hollywood!

All with one thing in mind, the end totally and completely of the franchise known as White Sox and the eradication of their loyal fans.

Like the former Communists of the 1950's, they are out to get you! So be careful where you go, whom you associate with and what you do for a living.

You May Be Next!!!!!

Lip

come on Lip, now your being Silly. Ive reiterated before, I dont believe theres a ANTI-SOX Conspiracy, but a PRO-CUB Conspiracy. The truth is out there, we just have to notice it. SOmetimes, when we see things that are "anti" sox. Does anyone remember the Press the "SOX" fan (actually a cub fan) got for running on the FIeld this year against KC ???
And remember the PRESS the cubs got for someone throwing a CELL PHONE at a Padres player? Which story got the Press, and which one was BURIED? thats what Im talking about.

Hangar18
10-14-2003, 12:31 PM
Even Jordan Kass of the cubune realizes it. He too was tired of
ESPN and CNN going into bars on Rush St and Wrigleyville, asking people if they were rooting for the CUbs. how stupid a question is that? of course theyre going to say yes. Kass took the theory a step further, and went to a SOX bar to see if they were
rooting for the blue team and got a better story out of it

Lip Man 1
10-14-2003, 12:36 PM
Xil:

You are absolutely correct as I have stated in the past (and you agreed with) that the media is in business to make money.

My post (and I'm sorry I didn't make it clear) was trying to show how stupid some of the posters sound on these boards, when every single time something happens they immediately post about how so and so is out to "screw" (in so many word) the Sox.

Folks, the simple fact is this and you need to understand this point....the White Sox don't matter!

To think that a screenwriter in L.A. is figuring out a way to screw the Sox with the possible upcoming movie on Bill Veeck is insane.

Just like it's insane to immediately start thinking that some reporter in Pittsburgh or Boston or Tokyo is writing a story specifically to screw the Sox by giving "Cub love." Folks thoses reporters don't care about the Sox!

I'm amazed how some of these folks can take a most distant, tenuious connection between a profession or individual and immediately concluded "they're out to get the Sox."

Please folks get a grip. Most screenwriters, actors, media professionals or politicians could care less about the Sox. They aren't spending every waking moment trying to figure out ways to screw them over. As Xil pointed out they're spending every waking moment trying to make money.

I'm not trying to insult anybody but please take a step back and look closely about how some of you are sounding. This is crazy.

I agree that some media members in Chicago are out to screw the Sox, and if that's the case, I'm fairly sure since I've spoken to enough of them, they are justified in doing so.

The Sox are their own worst enemy when it comes to the media.

As I've said in the past when the Sox finally get off their dead ass and win something, they'll get respect...when the Sox organization finally starts treating the media in a professional, friendly manner (a la the Cubs) they'll get better and more coverage.

Am I saying that the media then is biased...you're damn right they are. They are human beings and anybody who think any segment of the media is "totally unbiased" is very foolish. that's reality folks, not fanatasy land.

All I asking is that some of you please stop making yourself look very foolish by constantly making these claims. You sound like the boy who cried wolf.

When a situation comes up when someone is trying to screw the Sox then you won't be able to know for sure, it'll have been lost or tuned out by those of us who are constantly hearing this refrain.

Lip

Lip Man 1
10-14-2003, 12:47 PM
Thunder:

Tom Hanks is not a Sox fan.

On Inside The Actors Studio on Bravo, hosted by James Lipton, Hanks when interviewed, stated that he grew up in the Bay Area and worked as a peanut vendor at the Oakland Alameda County Coliseum. He loved the A's and was there when they won three straight World Series in the early 70's.

You are probably thinking about the time in the early 90's when Hanks was a frequent visitor at Comiskey Park. the reason for that is because they were making the movie "A League Of Their Own," in Indiana and Hanks, Penny Marshall, Madonna and Jon Lovitz would drive into Chicago and take in that night's Sox game. I have video from that time period that shows them very often at the game.

That does not mean they were or are Sox fans. I've got video of many, many visitors to Comiskey Park. They are baseball fans not necessarily Sox fans.

For example on the last game ever played at Old Comiskey Park, September 30, 1990, Goldie Hawn, Kurt Russell, Maureen O'Hara, the Oak Ridge Boys, Styx, John Candy, Wayne Gretzky and George Wendt were shown. Does that mean they are all Sox fans? I don't think so.

Lip

Hangar18
10-14-2003, 12:47 PM
Lip, that was a good response, and I understand it for the most part, but I think that argument wouldve made Sense 10yrs ago. The stakes are changed now. Just because when the media includes a statement in a story that really didnt have ANYTHING to do with the story itself (puffers, party at bar celebrating someone going to jail) and had a Negative Connotation, what is someone supposed to think? and When things are WITHHELD from stories or things DISTORTED to make the SOX Look bad...
What is someone supposed to think? Yeah, Winning Cures everything. Your RIGHT ABOUT THAT. But what has been the Cubs excuse? They Won NOTHING, yet get extra media coverage? Weve gotten to the point LIP, that some outlets now purposely DISTORT or otherwise IGNORE certain things regarding our SOX NOT BECAUSE, they hate us, but BECAUSE OF MONEY. I think we all missed that point. Make your Competitor Look BAD, so people will like YOUR product. Because your a Media Giant Corporation, your competitors in the media will try to OUTDO you, thus resulting in more "negative"
stereotypes. Yeah, most is the sOX fault. shame on them.
the rest is the Medias Fault for not having a mind of their own

Lip Man 1
10-14-2003, 12:56 PM
Hangar:

"Money talks...you know what walks"...

I'm not saying it's fair but that's reality. If it's putting Jerry Reinsdorf and the Sox in such a hole, then maybe they should buy a few TV and or radio stations of their own to counter the Tribune Company.

If you can't beat em'...join em'

If that's not an option, all the more reason to kiss the Chicago media's ass isn't it... instead of constantly attacking, belittling and blaming them for the problems the Sox themselves created. Hey if that's what you have to do to start getting better media and PR coverage then why won't the Sox do it?

You and I both know the answer to that one of course...it's called Uncle Jerry's ego, and Rob Gallas' ego and Scott Reifert's ego (Which ironically is what caused most of these problems in the first place.)

Lip

Lip

Hangar18
10-14-2003, 01:00 PM
Hangar:

"Money talks...you know what walks"...

I'm not saying it's fair but that's reality. If it's putting Jerry Reinsdorf and the Sox in such a hole, then maybe they should buy a few TV and or radio stations of their own to counter the Tribune Company.

Lip

Its funny, but I thought of that. WCIU channel 26 is based out of Chicago here. Why Havnt the SOX tried to take over that channel? I know its not available in most markets, but you think a Cable outlet in Florida or Mississippi would Reject this channel if IT ALSO INCLUDED ALL TELEVISED SOX GAMES?

npdempse
10-14-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
That "Norm from Cheers" is George Wendt, who has a Chicago area connection. His sister is married to former DuPage county state's attorney Joe Birkett.

Wendt started out in Second City.

daveeym
10-14-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by xil357

The only big-name journalist today who reports the news straight, profits-be-damned, is Bill Moyers. Moyers is the only one I would trust to report on the Sox, and Michael Moore is the only big-name filmmaker I would trust to tell the story of the White Sox and Bill Veeck.

Michael Moore?!?!?! AHHHHHHHH

GoSox2K3
10-14-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by BackInBlack
For the record, I saw John Cusack on Conan O'Brien (I think it was Conan, anyway), and he claimed his allegiance to the Go Go White Sox.

I heard about that interview too. Interesting to hear that fact because, when the Sox sold the stadium naming rights to U.S. Cellular, one of the Cubune sports columnists wrote an article about it and he claimed that John and Joan Cusack "bled Cubbie blue" and he was trying to make the Sox look stupid for the fact that U.S. Cellular's spokeswoman was a huge Cubs fan.

Interesting to find out later that this isn't true at all. I guess reporters in the Chicago media - especially those who work for the Tribune - just assume as a fact that anyone famous from Chicago must "bleed Cubbie blue".

AsInWreck
10-14-2003, 05:22 PM

Pat Eubanks claims to be a sox fan

nasox
10-14-2003, 05:46 PM
it sounds great

that book is one of my favorite books all time so i cant wait