PDA

View Full Version : Lip's Sox 70's Audio Memories

Brian26
10-12-2003, 02:03 PM
Wow. This is a must read/listen.

Lots of history about the Sox teams in the write-up, and then really good sound clips. Listen to the Harry call of Dick Allen's homer into the centerfield bleachers. Really good stuff.

Nice job, Lip.

TornLabrum
10-12-2003, 02:44 PM
Great stuff, Lip. One correction: The 1972 clip featuring Jack Drees would have to have been from WFLD-TV, not WSNS. The Sox moved to WSNS in 1973 when Harry took over TV as well as radio.

Lip Man 1
10-12-2003, 02:51 PM
Thanks to all of you.

Hal you are correct, I just typed in the wrong info.

Thanks also to Pale Hose George for downloading the clips into the proper areas.

I hope all of you enjoy this on what promises to be the darkest day in Sox history since perhaps the Black Sox scandle breaking.

Lip

Brian26
10-12-2003, 04:00 PM
It was really cool to hear the Rizzuto/Messer call of Dick Allen's homer in that doubleheader sweep. I'm sure others, like me, saw the When Bucky Beat Boston game on ESPN Classics a couple of weekends ago, with the same Yankees announce team. So Messer was with the Yankees from at least '72 to '78. Did he come directly over to the Sox in '86 from the Yankees, or was he anywhere else in between? I always thought he and Drysdale did a good job.

Lip, Do you have any full video of Disco Demolition? I've always wanted to see the entire incident, and maybe even the entire first game if possible.

Lip Man 1
10-12-2003, 07:23 PM
Brian:

To answer your questions:

1. Messer did come directly from the Yankees to the Sox.

2. I have about :35 seconds of video from that night only.

By the way...let's make this the "official" Sox 70's memories thread. If you have any or can add any historical info to the just recently posted story please do so.

I've got a ton but one of my favorites is from June 72 a Sunday DH against Milwaukee. In Game #1 with Jim Lonborg pitching Alvarado, Andrews and Allen all hit home runs in the same inning.

This was back when hitting three home runs in a game was rare enough, let alone in the same inning...all by guys with the same first letter in their last name.

Allen's blast landed a few rows in front of me and my high school friend who were at the game about half way up the upper deck along the left field line. For a second I thought I was finally going to get a ball!

Lip

SoxFanSince67
10-12-2003, 07:42 PM
Great Article. It brought back great memories growing up in Northern Indiana listening to Bob Ellison broadcast the Sox on the AM station.

Daver
10-12-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by SoxFanSince67
Great Article. It brought back great memories growing up in Northern Indiana listening to Bob Ellison broadcast the Sox on the AM station.

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

Brian26
10-12-2003, 07:54 PM
Another SCARY part of the 1970's story is how quickly the Sox almost fell of the face of the earth. They were in first until the final day of the 1967 season, and then 5 years later nobody picked up their radio rights? They were on the LaGrange AM station? That's insane. I'm not sure that would ever happen in this day and age the way advertising is set up and with the proliferation of all-talk AM stations. I'm sure the Sox will always have a home on the radio.

duke of dorwood
10-12-2003, 09:27 PM
Spectacular and I thank you. Gonna have my mom over to listen to the highlights. Had a lot of fun at the park in the 70's.

Lip Man 1
10-13-2003, 01:19 PM
Brian:

Go back and look at the won / loss record and the attendence for the years 1968, 1969 and 1970 and you'll see why nobody was interested in bidding on the Sox radio rights before the 1971 season.

Personally I always felt that was part of the motivation for the Sox to go outside of the organization in hiring Tanner and Hemond.

John Allyn realized something drastic had to be done...and he went out and did it.

If this happened today do you think Uncle Jerry would be so forward thinking?

Lip

Brian26
10-13-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
If this happened today do you think Uncle Jerry would be so forward thinking?

I don't really know. We're dealing with a completely different economic and political climate in baseball right now compared to what existed 30 years ago. What would be the equivalent "forward thinking" today? Opening up the checkbook and giving a blank check to Torre and Billy Beane? Bringing someone in from outside the organization nowadays is 100% about money. Loyalty, prestige, power...really not as important as the almighty dollar. Tanner and Hemond weren't really huge names before 1972. Didn't Hemond work a bit with the Angels out west before he came to the Sox? Tanner's greatest success happened after he left here. That early 70's strategy wasn't about opening the pocketbook as much as it was about just pumping some new blood into the system to see what would happen. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Lip Man 1
10-13-2003, 09:37 PM
Brian:

Hemond came from an extremely solid MLB background starting with the Milwaukee Braves in the 50's. Yes he was working with the Angels before taking the Sox job. He was responsible for signing and developing such players as Andy Messersmith, Jay Johnstone, Rick Reichardt, Clyde Wright and Tom Murphy.

Tanner was the Triple A manager of the Angels team in Hawaii when he got the Sox call.

Lip

Brian26
10-13-2003, 10:43 PM
Lip-

A question a bit off topic from what we're discussing, but still within this thread:

You mention that Bill Mercer was a White Sox radio announcer in the 70's. I think you mentioned he went on to teach broadcasting in Texas.

Any idea if this is the same guy that used to be an announcer on the Von Erichs' World Class Championship Wrestling out of Dallas in the 80s?

Lip Man 1
10-14-2003, 12:22 AM
I'm met and spoken with Bill many times when I worked at KNOE TV in Monroe, Louisiana. He was the play by play radio broadcaster for North Texas football and men's basketball through the 80's and early 90's.

Yes it's the same guy and you are very, very good!

Lip