PDA

View Full Version : The White Sox: who are they cheering for?

i_luv_jgarland
10-11-2003, 10:06 PM
Obviously the guys are baseball fans and are following the series... who do you think they want to win??

RKMeibalane
10-11-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by i_luv_jgarland
Obviously the guys are baseball fans and are following the series... who do you think they want to win??

I'm not sure how the Sox players feel about this year's World Series. Were I in their position, however, I would be too disgusted with my own inability to help my team reach October, so I would be spending my time preparing for next season.

WhiteSox = Life
10-11-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by i_luv_jgarland

A simple answer, but probably whichever team they grew up watching or are a fan of. If none of their teams are of the four choices, they are probably keeping an eye on it while focusing even more on what the Cubs are doing and telling themselves they cannot let the Cubs keep the upper hand in postseason success. And, that they will upstage the Cubs in 2004.

Unregistered
10-11-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
A simple answer, but probably whichever team they grew up watching or are a fan of. If none of their teams are of the four choices, they are probably keeping an eye on it while focusing even more on what the Cubs are doing and telling themselves they cannot let the Cubs keep the upper hand in postseason success. And, that they will upstage the Cubs in 2004. Call me pessimistic, but if there were even two guys on the team who gave a crap about what the Cubs winning will do to the Sox franchise, I'd be surprised. I have a hard time believing that any of these players are as passionate about the history of our franchise, etc., as we are. It seems like most of these guys are concerned about their money, their contracts and which beer they'll be drinking poolside in the offseason.

Or maybe I'm just bitter cause we're not watching OUR team in a Championship Series...

WhiteSox = Life
10-11-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Call me pessimistic, but if there were even two guys on the team who gave a crap about what the Cubs winning will do to the Sox franchise, I'd be surprised. I have a hard time believing that any of these players are as passionate about the history of our franchise, etc., as we are. It seems like most of these guys are concerned about their money, their contracts and which beer they'll be drinking poolside in the offseason.

Or maybe I'm just bitter cause we're not watching OUR team in a Championship Series...

I don't know, either. I honestly do not know what the Sox have said about the Cubs, or more truthfully, what they really think. I would like to think the players who know Chicago baseball incredibly well, or have played with the Sox for several years would be very upset with what the Cubs are doing, but that might not be the case.

If there's anybody who feels like a lot of us here, or at least used to before the yo-yo approach was taken with him, it would be...

:versatile
"I was a Duncan for the Sox, but what did I do to deserve not only playing for the Devils, but playing for them this year, of all years?"

FJA
10-12-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Call me pessimistic, but if there were even two guys on the team who gave a crap about what the Cubs winning will do to the Sox franchise, I'd be surprised. I have a hard time believing that any of these players are as passionate about the history of our franchise, etc., as we are. It seems like most of these guys are concerned about their money, their contracts and which beer they'll be drinking poolside in the offseason.

I agree with you completely, and I think it starts at the top. For JR, I get the feeling he wants the White Sox to win, but not for their fans or their history. Everyone wants to win--it's ludicrous to suggest otherwise. But I don't get the feeling JR wants to win because he genuinely cares about the White Sox franchise being a winning franchise. I don't even think it's necessarily just a money issue for him like so many seem to think. It's because he wants to say HIS business WON. If you think he cares more about winning with the White Sox than, for example, if he owned the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, I think you're mistaken. JR is a businessman first, a baseball man second. This is his investment now, so he'll see what he can do to win with his investment. I watched a SportsCentury on George Steinbrenner ... I don't like him, but you can't say he doesn't genuinely care about the YANKEES winning. I don't get the feeling Steinbrenner would be the same if his team was the Devil Rays. Steinbrenner, for all his bad qualities, balances the businessman and baseball man qualities like no other. Unless we're bringing back the Brooklyn Dodgers, I don't think Reinsdorf cares at all WHO he wins with, and that's disheartening when he's owned this team for 20+ years.

Really, free agency and Pittsburgh-to-Cubs-type trades have made loyalty to franchise extremely rare among players, and it's hard to fault most for not being passionate about their current team's history. I think Frank Thomas has that loyalty and wants to win, but he's not a good leader; that is, he doesn't inspire the same loyalty in other players who might not have his tenure (and few in the league do).

soxwon
10-12-2003, 01:52 PM
i dont think the sox players have any real hatred for the CUBS- im sure they might admire them for gettin this far.
im sure alot of sox players have friends on the north side!!!
its us the fans who despise the Cubs.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-12-2003, 02:08 PM
The only Sox ballplayer I can possibly imagine caring about the Cubs is Jose Valentin-- and that is mostly because he hates all the Scammin' Shammy Soso hype.

The heart thumps and two-fingered kissies he did at the Urinal back in 2001 are classic. We ought to make him an honorary member of the Sox Fans' hall of fame for just that alone. :smile:

:corker

soxtalker
10-12-2003, 02:37 PM
I bet that there are a number of players on the team that care. Oh, maybe not those who are fairly new or who know for sure that they'll be leaving in the off season. But the Sox have brought a pretty strong intensity to the cross-town games. Remember those series this year. They were probably the turning point for the Sox (combined with KW's trades about the same time). The Sox were limping along before then -- almost playing out the string. The Cubs, in contrast, were playing well above what people had expected. Then they met, and the Sox took 2 of 3 (almost 3 of 3). The Cubs started a bit of a nosedive, while the Sox perked up.

Sure, these guys are well-paid and can expect to move among several clubs in a successful career. But how does it make them feel when they hear all of the enthusiasm for the team on the other side of town.

Hopefully, this gives them additional motivation. We can talk about JR, KW, etc., but well-motivated ball players can do a lot.

TDog
10-12-2003, 04:19 PM
There may be a few Sox players that hate the Cubs. Valentin probably does. MB, as a big Cardinals fan, certainly does. (I haven't read if St. Louis folks are doing their duty as proud Midwesterners by cheering for the Cubs.) The interleague series have fostered some unfriendly feelings. Rocky Biddle said when it was rumored that he would be traded from the Sox that he wanted to stay in Chicago but he would never want to play for the Cubs.

Mostly, I would guess that players don't care because they have so little connection with Chicago. That isn't a slam at our Sox players in particular.

I would guess that many, if not most, of the players on the Cubs, while they want to win and certainly want their team to win the World Series, don't care much about the Cubs the way the fans believe they do. Players like Randall Simon don't bleed Cubbie blue.

JohnJeter
10-12-2003, 04:27 PM
They're rooting for lowering their respective handicaps.

Viva Magglio
10-12-2003, 05:02 PM
During one of the interleague series, Joe Cowley wrote an article about Sox players who hate the Cubs' guts. Valentin was one, and Ordˇ˝ez was another. Here is the thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20969&highlight=Cowley) I posted about that. Unfortunately, the article link does not work anymore because it's now about the Cubs-Pirates doubleheader split in Pittsburgh.