PDA

View Full Version : Your Guy

RichH55
10-11-2003, 08:58 PM
Who is your guy for this coming FA?

Last Year my guy was Moyer (As Lip can attest to)

Basically the rules are: Try and make it reasonable, and be creative

I think my guy this offseason is Sterling Hitchcock

Slates in nicely as a 4th or 5th starter, shouldnt cost more than 2.0 million a season

In line for a nice comeback year IMHO

Who else you got?

poorme
10-11-2003, 09:05 PM
i'd like to wait until we find out who's options haven't been picked up. i kind of like wilson alvarez. KW was interested in maddux last year until he saw the price tag. that might be a possibility. i mentioned before I think foulke could be a good starter.

ScottyTheSoxFan
10-11-2003, 10:42 PM
Kaz Matsui. that would be awesome.

whitesoxwilkes
10-11-2003, 10:57 PM
Sidney Ponson.
El Sid stunk up the playoffs with the Giants and his hopes of a fat contract will probably be diminished as a result. If we can't resign Colon, I think he's a viable alternative...similar type of picther.

oheeoh...magglio
10-11-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
Sidney Ponson.
El Sid stunk up the playoffs with the Giants and his hopes of a fat contract will probably be diminished as a result. If we can't resign Colon, I think he's a viable alternative...similar type of picther.

I agree 100 percent with wilkes here. Ponson is a great, and realistic option. However if we DO sign colon, then I have no idea, i'll have to see the list of free agents.

MRKARNO
10-11-2003, 11:43 PM
Sidney Ponson.

Stay away from Ponson. The first 2 thirds of 2003 were a fluke. The giants got screwed. I'm all for Wilson Alvarez or Brian Anderson

ChiWhiteSox1337
10-11-2003, 11:50 PM
i like brian anderson also for a end of the rotation kind of guy, he was great for the indians and royals this year. I like Orlando Cabrera and Luis Castillo but castillo did remind of Duh'Angelo Jimenez on that one play in yesterday's game

kermittheefrog
10-12-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Stay away from Ponson. The first 2 thirds of 2003 were a fluke. The giants got screwed. I'm all for Wilson Alvarez or Brian Anderson

What are you talking about? Ponson pitched just as well with the Giants as he did with the Orioles.

MRKARNO
10-12-2003, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
What are you talking about? Ponson pitched just as well with the Giants as he did with the Orioles.

ERA wise yes, but he was 14-6 before the trade and 3-6 after. It all comes down to Ws and Ls. When he was with the O's, they won when he pitched. When with the Giants, a much better team, they lost.

I think he isnt much better than Jon Garland, and there are so many other pitchers who would probably do just as well for less money. Ponson had a career year and there's no guarentee that this is the real ponson. If we're about to spend 8 mil+ on a pitcher, dont waste it on Ponson is what I'm saying. Let the O's take him back

JRIG
10-12-2003, 03:09 AM
ERA wise yes, but he was 14-6 before the trade and 3-6 after. It all comes down to Ws and Ls. When he was with the O's, they won when he pitched. When with the Giants, a much better team, they lost.

So it's Ponson's fault that when he was with the O's his offense scored runs and when he was with the Giants his offense didn't score runs? That kind of logic can get you Joe Morgan's seat in the broadcast booth.

poorme
10-12-2003, 07:57 AM
Ponson was a real enigma for 5 years. Then he has one decent year when he's going to become a free agent. I'd stay away.

TornLabrum
10-12-2003, 08:19 AM

One point to make about being the same ERA-wise: The Giants are in the NL where ERAs traditionally are about a half-run lower on the average. A similar ERA does not mean that he was just as good in the NL.

hose
10-12-2003, 08:42 AM
If the Sox can sign Colon , Alomar, and Graffinino I'll be happy, Carl Everett will probably be to expensive to stay put.

Andy Pettitte would be a great free agent signing , but I don't think it's realistic to think Andy would end up on the south side.

Todd Van Poppel could be offered a minor league contract.

I see Terry Adams, Jason Grimsley, Todd Jones, Turk Wendell, and Leskanic heading the list of low budget bull pen help.

The higher cost for the pen would be Hawkins, Guardado, Worrell, Benitez, Rhodes and Nelson.

whitesoxwilkes
10-12-2003, 08:54 AM
Another thought (and I hate to say it, but) would be Randall Simon. Sure he's a Chub and a sausage-beater, but he's also a grinder, not bad defensively, and rarely strikes out.

fquaye149
10-12-2003, 11:30 AM
all of you who say stay away from ponson like he has AIDS are probably not averse to picking up the expensive loaiza option. just something to think abuot

bc2k
10-12-2003, 12:17 PM
Another thought (and I hate to say it, but) would be Randall Simon. Sure he's a Chub and a sausage-beater, but he's also a grinder, not bad defensively, and rarely strikes out.

I say we avoid him because while courting him we'll have to hear the Cub media mention his "World Series experience" non-stop.

Originally posted by fquaye149
all of you who say stay away from ponson like he has AIDS are probably not averse to picking up the expensive loaiza option. just something to think abuot

Expensive?

bc2k
10-12-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by RichH55

After seeing what the Cubs did under a real manager, Joe Torre is my guy for this coming FA. I'm guessing it's unlikely he'll be available after sweeping the 2003 World Series, but this is a thread of deep pink so I'll go with it.

RichH55
10-12-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
I say we avoid him because while courting him we'll have to hear the Cub media mention his "World Series experience" non-stop.

Expensive?

3.5 is not expensive:) Good point bc2k

poorme
10-12-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149

Hmmm. $4 million for one year versus $40 million for 4 years.

RichH55
10-12-2003, 01:05 PM

He's not good defensively either

He's not really good offensively either

He's what 28 or 29?

And he doesn't K, but he doesn't walk either....He has no plate discipline, which is why he likes 2 K counts--> doesnt either have to fake the discipline

He would be terrible to have around young hitters, as his style is to be avoided

Maybe he could work as a pinch hitter coming off the becnh....but unless he is willing to take less than one million and play sparingly....He has no value to me ( And of course he isnt willing to do those things)

You can have any FA and the only requirement is to try and be realistic and you choose Simon?!?!?

Brian26
10-12-2003, 01:07 PM

Interesting. I talk to a guy online from SF who is a big Giants fan. He basically said the same thing. Ponson was an overated bum and completely tanked them.

34 Inch Stick
10-13-2003, 10:45 AM
I would love to get LaTroy Hawkins. However if the closer role is not fixed the long relief role is unnecessary.

O.K. my guy is Jeremi Gonzalez.

Hangar18
10-13-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
Kaz Matsui. that would be awesome.

I too am Sticking with KAZZ. I think he would help Immensely in 3 areas for the SOX. Though it might be too little too late...
nevertheless, SIGN HIM

Hangar18
10-13-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I would love to get LaTroy Hawkins. However if the closer role is not fixed the long relief role is unnecessary.

LaTroy is gonna be a Cub next year. That team has their BOOT on the SOX' proverbial Throat, and will finish us off. They will throw money around like the chicago baseball hasnt seen since......Einhorn/Reins came here in 1981

wulfy
10-13-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by RichH55

Who else you got?

I like Miguel Batista of the D'backs as a #4 starter. He pitched 193 innings last year with 10-9 record with a 3.54 ERA.

From TSN.com:
Oct 03 2003 - Diamondbacks declined RHP Miguel Batista's $5 million option for 2004. The Diamondbacks will pay Batista a $300,000 buyout and try to re-sign him at a lower price. If they can't do it, the Elmer Dessens deal is going to look even worse than it already does.

soxrme
10-13-2003, 12:09 PM
Tejada would be the guy I want the most. Time for Jose to go bye-bye. Pettite would be great also. Signing Colon is a must.