PDA

View Full Version : JR & KW's Responsibilities

Viva Magglio
10-11-2003, 08:30 PM
It is Jerry Reinsdorf and Kenny Williams' fiduciary responsibilities to make our team a powerhouse immediately, especially due to the suffering we are continue to experience from the success the Cubs are having.

I hope and suspect that they realize how much all of this is huring us because it is surely hurting them even more. I think Reinsdorf and Williams will take a "DAMN THE TORPEDOES!!! FULL STEAM AHEAD!!!" approach, starting with the hiring of the new manager.

Kilroy
10-11-2003, 10:56 PM
As chairman, JR needs to go to the other owners and convince them to dig deeper, along with himself, and put more money on the table for next season. Cut into those profit margins a bit more. Gotta spend money to make money. If they spend it, they'd probably earn it back 10 times over.

Ah, who the **** am I kidding?

Lip Man 1
10-12-2003, 11:17 AM
Kilroy:

You've got that right.

I wonder when or if the media is going to try to contact Uncle Jerry to see what he thinks about all this Cub success.

Oh silly me....Uncle Jerry already said what he felt in June 2002 on ESPN Radio 1000 before the start of the Sox / Cubs series. "Chicago has always belonged to the Cubs..."

Unlce Jerry would rather hide out in Arizona and imitate Howard Hughes.

Lip

WillieHarris12
10-12-2003, 02:08 PM
I hate how the Cubs are owned by the Tribune, and they have so much money to spend, when our club is in the hands of a fool who could careless about the team as long as he makes a profit and then could spend it on the Bulls.

GoSox2K3
10-12-2003, 03:01 PM
If JR really cared about winning, he wouldn't use Konerko's and Koch's 2004 salary as an excuse to not try to be competitive next year.

I know those guys are going to get $6 mil each, but they are each only signed for one more year, right? You'd think they were each signed through 2012 the way Sox ownership talks about their payroll problems.

This team was close enough this year that an owner who saw the big picture would realize that he's probably better off in the long term spending some more in '04 to put us over the top. Maybe that's how the Sox are run in Bizzaro World. Too bad that's not the case in our universe.

soxtalker
10-12-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
I know those guys are going to get $6 mil each, but they are each only signed for one more year, right? You'd think they were each signed through 2012 the way Sox ownership talks about their payroll problems.

Konerko is 2 more years, I believe.

Koch is 1 year. That supposedly was the reason for trading Foulke for him. Foulke is a FA at the end of the year that is just concluding.

GoSox2K3
10-12-2003, 11:13 PM
We all know that, if the Cubs win the pennant this week, the Sox will become the team with the longest pennant drought - which is pathetic.

BUT, does anyone know how many other teams have failed to win a pennant since Reinsdorf bought the Sox in 1981? That may be a better indicator of JR's resposibility for our team's never ending futility. Maybe I'll look up this info if I have some time - I'm willing to bet the list of other failures is embarassingly small.

Sox fans are not stupid and we are fed up with more of the same from ownership. That's why our fan base continues to shrink with each passing year.

Lip Man 1
10-13-2003, 12:11 PM
Jerry Reinsdorf is the current owner who holds the record for the longest time period (currently) owning a franchise without a World Series appreance, 23 years. The Tribune Company bought the Cubs a few months after Reinsdorf took control.
Off the top of my head the Cubs (as of right now), Pirates, Astros, Expos, Rockies, Rangers, Mariners and Devil Rays have not been in the series since Reinsdorf took control (along with the Sox)

Lip

GoSox2K3
10-13-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
.... Pirates, Astros, Expos, Rockies, Rangers, Mariners and Devil Rays have not been in the series since Reinsdorf took control (along with the Sox)

Lip

I'm glad that we're on par with such great franchises. HOW PATHETIC! I wouldn't even count the Rockies and Devil Rays since they didn't even start playing until 93 and 98 respectively. At least the Mariners have made it past the ALDS a couple of times - including the spanking they gave us in 2000.

At least we're keeping pace with "Les Expos"!

duke of dorwood
10-13-2003, 07:24 PM
This ownership stopped fooling the fans long ago- He got $ from US Cellular-has a share of National TV $, a moderate payroll, played rent free when attendence is down, and yet, all they worry about is money. These investors have made big $ here. Just think how much their share value has increased in the 23 years, from what they originally invested. Losing $ ? I dont want to hear that crap any more.

TornLabrum
10-13-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
This ownership stopped fooling the fans long ago- He got $ from US Cellular-has a share of National TV $, a moderate payroll, played rent free when attendence is down, and yet, all they worry about is money. These investors have made big $ here. Just think how much their share value has increased in the 23 years, from what they originally invested. Losing $ ? I dont want to hear that crap any more.

One thing all of us who attend half-price Mondays and Tuesdays are doing is helping The Chairman in his never-ending quest to avoid paying rent. Half-price tickets for those nights are not counted toward the total attendance the Sox must accumulate for the rent to kick in. Sweet deal!