A sight for sore eyes...

Need I say more?

siugrad25
10-11-2003, 05:49 PM
Good detective work roofshot.

cheeses_h_rice
10-11-2003, 06:09 PM
Nice legwork, roofshot.

Somewhere down in Florida, Mark Giangreco is shedding a tear.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-11-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Nice legwork, roofshot.

Somewhere down in Florida, Mark Giangreco is shedding a tear.

:giangreco
"This is terrible! How the hell am I going to fill the void of those 81 punchlines I just lost?"

white sox bill
10-11-2003, 06:47 PM
Hey Roof Welcome aboard!! :D:
(How'd I do guys? Ambassodor material or what?)

BroadwyBabyMiami
10-11-2003, 06:54 PM
i'm a newbie to the sox and am still learning about your history and such. can someone explain to me what the picture is about? *feels sheepish*

white sox bill
10-11-2003, 07:00 PM
Broadway,
Those are seats from the best stadium in Chicago, US Cellular Field. And don't let anyone tell you different. They are likely from the steep upper deck which will be changed. The seats are in near perfect condition, testimony to the fact that not many people sat there.

oheeoh...magglio
10-11-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by BroadwyBabyMiami
i'm a newbie to the sox and am still learning about your history and such. can someone explain to me what the picture is about? *feels sheepish*

Yeah, white sox bill explained it quite well, but hey why aren't ya at the pro right now?? :D:

BroadwyBabyMiami
10-11-2003, 07:06 PM
thank you kindly bill :smile:

oheeoh...magglio
10-11-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by white sox bill
The seats are in near perfect condition, testimony to the fact that not many people sat there.

LOL!! Sad and true, but also pretty funny.

BroadwyBabyMiami
10-11-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by oheeoh...magglio
Yeah, white sox bill explained it quite well, but hey why aren't ya at the pro right now?? :D:

i skipped work to go to both of the home games against the Giants (best freaking games i have ever been to, but i may suffer heart palpatations later on in life lol. well worth it though.) so when my family asked me if i could go with them this time ,since i went with a friend last time, i said i shouldnt because i am almost possitive i have to work. turns out i only worked till 3 today and could have gone :whiner: . *sigh*

speaking of work... today a lot of scrub fans came in to buy some gear and i was forced to sell it to them but not before saying *cough* white sox *cough* and some guy behind them was like woa you like the sox? i said yes they are my new team for the AL. he told me how he works for fox and is in town for the game but he loves the white sox and thinks everyone on the fox team is an idiot. i agreed and it was an interesting convo. so yea i met my first chicagoan sox fan. unfortunately i met like 5 for the cubs... that reminds me i must go wash my hands for an hour now that they have been contaminated by the stench of cubs shirts.

oheeoh...magglio
10-11-2003, 07:18 PM
i skipped work to go to both of the home games against the Giants (best freaking games i have ever been to, but i may suffer heart palpatations later on in life lol. well worth it though.) so when my family asked me if i could go with them this time ,since i went with a friend last time, i said i shouldnt because i am almost possitive i have to work. turns out i only worked till 3 today and could have gone :whiner: . *sigh*

speaking of work... today a lot of scrub fans came in to buy some gear and i was forced to sell it to them but not before saying *cough* white sox *cough* and some guy behind them was like woa you like the sox? i said yes they are my new team for the AL. he told me how he works for fox and is in town for the game but he loves the white sox and thinks everyone on the fox team is an idiot. i agreed and it was an interesting convo. so yea i met my first chicagoan sox fan. unfortunately i met like 5 for the cubs... that reminds me i must go wash for an hour now that they have been contaminated by the stench of cubs shirts.

Good to hear about a sox fan down in Miami. :smile: But that sucks you could have gone and didn't, but wow those 2 giant games were 2 of the best games of baseball I think i've ever watched. I was down there in Miami six years ago and went to a game at the pro (then joe robbie stadium I think) to see the marlins play during their world series year. It was like in august, so the crowds were starting to get pretty big, and you guys had a heck of a team then. But sadly, I was only 11 back then, so I don't remember much about Miami :( but oh well, one day i'll go back lol. So did any of the cub fans talk trash to ya while they were buying their stuff?? :(:

BroadwyBabyMiami
10-11-2003, 07:31 PM
yea they talked some trash but i shut them up hehe. they were all rather annoying. last night i went to Fridays for a watch party and there was on flub there. we nearly killed the guy. he wasnt even remotely on key during his chants *shudders at the sound of his voice*

oheeoh...magglio
10-11-2003, 07:35 PM
yea they talked some trash but i shut them up hehe. they were all rather annoying. last night i went to Fridays for a watch party and there was on flub there. we nearly killed the guy. he wasnt even remotely on key during his chants *shudders at the sound of his voice*

Good to hear you shut them up, you can't take **** from those ppl, and the :gulp: will tend to make cub fans chants off-key. :D:

GoSox2K3
10-11-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by roofshot87
check out the attached picture

There should have been people in those !#$@! seats for a playoff game tonight! :angry: :angry: :angry:

:jerry
I helped assure that workers were able to start the renovation project on Sept. 29. I'm glad the project wasn't delayed by a month.

roofshot87
10-11-2003, 09:16 PM
In another thread, they mentioned the addition of arched windows to the reduded upper deck. There was some question on how this could occur; it could happen by building a brick backing behind the last row of seats and carving the windows into the brick. The brick would be quite fitting to the new scheme of the park. In addition, the new roof would begin at this backing.

If you dont understand what I am getting at, post a question and i'll try to explain. Nonetheless, it could work quite well.

Geeterman1
10-11-2003, 11:07 PM
I can't wait to see what it's going to look like when it's finished.

KingXerxes
10-11-2003, 11:23 PM
I can't fathom how they would make arched windows work in this thing, and it annoys me to no end that every year they try desperately to fix a stadium that everyone involved with says is perfect. Seriously, how much money has to be pumped into this thing before they get it right?

MRKARNO
10-11-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
I can't fathom how they would make arched windows work in this thing, and it annoys me to no end that every year they try desperately to fix a stadium that everyone involved with says is perfect. Seriously, how much money has to be pumped into this thing before they get it right?

Three times the amount it cost to build in the first place

34rancher
10-12-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Three times the amount it cost to build in the first place

That would still be about 200 million cheaper than soldier field.

roofshot87
10-12-2003, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by KingXerxes

I guess its good that they are addressing a long standing complaint. Who cares what the front office thinks about it? Finally something for the fans

MarqSox
10-12-2003, 01:54 AM
I realize the plastic blue UD seats aren't exactly the wooden green seats from Old Comiskey, but I'm surprised they didn't try to sell those at the Garage Sale or SoxFest or something. I mean, hell, I'd be willing to pay $10 or $15 for a set of 2 or 3 seats. Only thing I can figure is it would be more costly to store them while they await sale than they'd actually make by selling them, but I doubt that.

dllrbll7
10-12-2003, 02:04 AM
I would definately buy a few

WillieHarris12
10-12-2003, 09:18 AM
Am I missing something here? We are getting a "roof"? Like a retractable dome or something like that?

PaleHoseGeorge
10-12-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by WillieHarris12
Am I missing something here? We are getting a "roof"? Like a retractable dome or something like that?

No, heaven forbid, no. There is no roof going over the Cell.

Nothing has been officially announced about any kind of renovations. However the Sox have been removing seats and this dovetails nicely with the ongoing rumors (at least 2 years-old now) that the team intends to remove the top 7-10 rows of seats in the upper deck.

Furthermore, the rumors say, the entire upper deck would receive a newly-enlarged roof that covers all the upper deck seats. This would require a set of posts near the front of the deck. Somebody else posted here that a series of arched windows are (allegedly) being added at the rear of the upper deck as part of this renovation.

There has been NOTHING in the mainstream media about any of this and the Sox have not made any announcements either. All we know for sure is that seats are being removed.

Anything the Sox do to make sitting in the upper deck more enjoyable is money well spent, IMHO. I hope these rumors are true. We'll just have to wait and see.

duke of dorwood
10-12-2003, 09:47 AM
AS of Friday they were all removed between first and third. It would be nice to put a few concession stands way up there after they extend the roof. That would take lots of concrete though. Remember the few stands behind the upper deck in the outfield at the old park? Those were pretty convienient when open.

Clembasbal
10-12-2003, 10:43 AM
Where are those seats, I would like to steal a few for my home.

roofshot87
10-12-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Clembasbal
Where are those seats, I would like to steal a few for my home.

When I visited the park yesterday, they were behind a locked gate behind the player's parking lot. Also, there were stashes of them at the top of the ramps. Who knows, they could be relocated to the new homerun porch, or they could be disposed of. Hell, I wouldnt be surprised if they ended up on the auction block in the coming months either. One thing for sure, it will tell us if they will ever end up getting green seats.

ewokpelts
10-12-2003, 05:06 PM
They are removing seats in teh lower rows of the ud.....how is that an indicator of them chopping the top ten rows?
Gene

p.s. they have been removing seats all season..anyone notice how there were always sections of torn up seats?

roofshot87
10-12-2003, 05:18 PM
I was there yesterday to see what was going on...and it was the top ten rows of seats. They have removed all seats from these rows between 1st and 3rd. I dunno how anyone got the idea that it was the lower rows.

cheeses_h_rice
10-12-2003, 09:23 PM
Another view of "Giangreco's Sorrow," taken today. It didn't look as if any other major work was going on in the park except for removing the top rows of the UD behind home plate.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-12-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Another view of "Giangreco's Sorrow," taken today. It didn't look as if any other major work was going on in the park except for removing the top rows of the UD behind home plate.

LOL! Good one! :smile:

:giangreco
"I fail to see the humor. Sweeps month is coming, Magers hates my guts, and Rose and Palmer are conspiring against me. Right now I don't need this ****!!!"

Irishsox1
10-13-2003, 11:39 AM
Any reason why the picture of the stadium with the ripped out seats is not available? I know that "stealing bandwith is a crime", but isn't this gone a little far.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-13-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
Any reason why the picture of the stadium with the ripped out seats is not available? I know that "stealing bandwith is a crime", but isn't this gone a little far.

What are you talking about? The only two pictures posted here were by roofshot and cheeses. Both are still available to view in this thread. To my knowledge nobody has posted a picture of the stadium itself missing the seats. However there are several people who have seen the work going on inside the ballpark, and the pile of blue seats outside the ballpark would seem to confirm precisely what they were claiming. Perhaps somebody else can take additional pictures with their digital camera and post it here.

So where's the beef?

:?:

FarWestChicago
10-13-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
What are you talking about? The only two pictures posted here were by roofshot and cheeses. Both are still available to view in this thread. To my knowledge nobody has posted a picture of the stadium itself missing the seats. However there are several people who have seen the work going on inside the ballpark, and the pile of blue seats outside the ballpark would seem to confirm precisely what they were claiming. Perhaps somebody else can take additional pictures with their digital camera and post it here.

So where's the beef?

:?: You have to wonder what Irishsox1 had in his coffee this morning. :smile:

soxnut
10-13-2003, 12:45 PM
Not the best picture, but if you look beyond the light standard to the right, there is a concrete space in the UD where the seats have been removed

Brian26
10-13-2003, 01:10 PM
That last pic is tough to see because of the shadows, but nice work on the pics nonetheless.

roofshot87
10-13-2003, 09:56 PM
They pretty much got it covered between first and third. Its very difficult to get a good shot of the missing seats in the ballpark because the walls of the park are pretty high. I got a small glipse closer to 39th though.

If renovation threads keep popping up in the coming weeks, there should be a section on the website dedicated to such. Users could contribute latest images and information.

dllrbll7
10-13-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by roofshot87
They pretty much got it covered between first and third. Its very difficult to get a good shot of the missing seats in the ballpark because the walls of the park are pretty high. I got a small glipse closer to 39th though.

If renovation threads keep popping up in the coming weeks, there should be a section on the website dedicated to such. Users could contribute latest images and information.

Renovation threads have been popping up for the last few years, well i assume they have before i started to be a frequent poster. But it wouldnt be a bad idea to have a page of what we definately know is true but the problem is we dont know much right now besides the seats bein takin out.

roofshot87
10-14-2003, 12:27 AM
Very true.