PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICIAL* Fighting Fish vs. Evil Empire Game 3 Thread

JRIG
10-10-2003, 07:17 PM
Big game guys. I really believe whoever wins this game will win the series.

MisterB
10-10-2003, 07:29 PM
Can anyone explain to me why the Marlins, who steadfastly refused to give Barry Bonds anything near the strike zone, insist on pitching to ShamMe with runners on base and 1st base open? So far I've seen him 2 home runs and a double in such situations. :angry:

WhiteSox = Life
10-10-2003, 07:50 PM
Well, it's time for the Marlins to get out of this jam before the score gets even steeper.

C'mon, guys...

MRKARNO
10-10-2003, 08:06 PM
If anyone thinks this is gonna be a pitchers duel or one-sided pitching wise, they are not watching the same game I'm watching

WhiteSox = Life
10-10-2003, 09:00 PM
With the bases loaded and two outs, Wood pitches to Rodriguez.

And...

Wood K's Rodriguez on three pitches.

:(:

Deadguy
10-10-2003, 09:43 PM
Nice execution from Pierre and Castillo.

2-2

Deadguy
10-10-2003, 09:45 PM
Ivan does it again!!! Wow.

3-2

cheeses_h_rice
My first half-inning of this series that I've watched, and whaddya know, Fish take the lead 3-2.

Good timing!

:gulp:

FarWestChicago
Ivan comes through. I hope the Fighting Fish pitchers can hold up!!

cheeses_h_rice
10-10-2003, 09:53 PM
So, what's all that cheering and white-towel waving I'm seeing when the Marlins are rallying? I thought Flub fans were going to turn PPS into Wrigley South Florida?

:?:

JRIG
10-10-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
So, what's all that cheering and white-towel waving I'm seeing when the Marlins are rallying? I thought Flub fans were going to turn PPS into Wrigley South Florida?

:?:

They did. They're just not aware that any runs have scored as they are busy trying to get the beer man's attention with their towels.

FarWestChicago
10-10-2003, 10:02 PM
I think that was the wrong choice of pitchers Trader Jack. :(:

A.T. Money
10-10-2003, 10:04 PM
McKeon fell asleep right there. Man on 3rd, 1 out. Simon swings at EVERYTHING. A contact hitter like that, you might as well walk him and take your chances with Lofton and hope for a groundball. You know you're not going to strike him out, so put him on with 1st open. Instead, first pitch gone.

WhiteSox = Life
10-10-2003, 10:04 PM
Oh, man...

The Sausage-Beater does it...

Deadguy
10-10-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by A.T. Money
McKeon fell asleep right there. Man on 3rd, 1 out. Simon swings at EVERYTHING. A contact hitter like that, you might as well walk him and take your chances with Lofton and hope for a groundball. You know you're not going to strike him out, so put him on with 1st open. Instead, first pitch gone.

I don't see any reason why he'd put the go ahead run on 1st base, this late in the game.

With one out, there is little to no chance that you can get Lofton to GIDP.

voodoochile
10-10-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by A.T. Money

Blame McKeon for disrupting his pitcher's routine.

WhiteSox = Life
10-10-2003, 10:15 PM
Baker brings in Borowski to close the close game.

C'mon, Fish!

WhiteSox = Life
10-10-2003, 10:21 PM
Quite an at-bat by Hollandsworth...

YES!!!!

THE FISH TIE IT UP!!!!

FarWestChicago
10-10-2003, 10:22 PM
I love the Fighting Fish!! They have spunk. The Braves should take note.

Deadguy
10-10-2003, 10:23 PM
Hollandsworth = Clutch

WhiteSox = Life
10-10-2003, 10:24 PM
It's time to hold the Cubs in the top, bring home the winning run in the bottom and send a crowd of 60,000+ home happy. Not to mention, pleasing a lot of posters here and at the Marlins Board.

Soxfan7070
10-10-2003, 10:24 PM
Anyone see what Farmsworth hit with the towel??? Indeed it was the Santo jersey. Gasp!!!

A.T. Money
10-10-2003, 10:27 PM
Urbina scares me when he pitches.....

WhiteSox = Life
10-10-2003, 10:28 PM
Sosa: He gawn!!!

Two more.

C'mon.

WhiteSox = Life
10-10-2003, 10:32 PM
Alou hits one just foul down the right-field line.

Close.

Check swing and a sweet bare hand pickup by Lowell and Lee finishes it with the stretch; Alou grounding out.

One more.

SoxRulecubsdrool
10-10-2003, 10:32 PM
That was a stretch!
Two outs!

WhiteSox = Life
10-10-2003, 10:35 PM
Ramirez goes to an 3-0 count, and then swings and takes one after.

On the 3-2 count, the fans go crazy and erupt as Ramirez K's!

Now, finish this, Marlins.

Pierre, Castillo and Rodriguez.

Oh, yeah.

FarWestChicago
10-10-2003, 10:35 PM
The ump squeezed Ugie and he responded. Phew!

WhiteSox = Life
10-10-2003, 10:38 PM
Pierre with an awesome bunt single!

Wow, is that guy fast!!!

FarWestChicago
10-10-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
Pierre with an awesome bunt single!

Wow, is that guy fast!!! He's definitely a speed merchant!

WhiteSox = Life
10-10-2003, 10:40 PM
Nice bunt by Castillo and Pierre is at second. Baker wisely calls the intentional walk on Rodriguez.

How will D-Lee respond?

WhiteSox = Life
10-10-2003, 10:45 PM
Lee gets anxious and pops up easily.

Cabrera at-bat. Pierre steals third. Cabrera walks, loading the bases.

It's up to Mike Mordecai.

FarWestChicago
10-10-2003, 10:45 PM
It's up to Mike Mordecai. Who is a complete sphincter. :angry:

WhiteSox = Life
10-10-2003, 10:46 PM
And, Mordecai swings first pitch - popping it up - directly after Borowski had problems throws strikes to the previous batter.

Ugh.

ChiWhiteSox1337
10-10-2003, 10:46 PM
argh! extra innings for this one. i wish the sox could get pierre

WhiteSox = Life
10-10-2003, 10:53 PM
I love how Rodriguez calls for the popups with total authority and just whips his helmet 30 feet away before he catches the ball.

JJAustin69
10-10-2003, 10:55 PM
This will be Uribina's last inning. Time for the fish to get em in the bottom half.

WhiteSox = Life
10-10-2003, 10:56 PM
Well, the bottom of the 9th wasn't it, so let's make it the bottom of the 10th, all right?

:smile:

crector
10-10-2003, 10:59 PM
Marlins blow it in the bottom of the 9th with bases loaded when their batter, instead of going for a sure-fire squeeze play bunt to bring in the winning run, goes for the grand slam for his personal glory.

Why do so many baseball players never learn?

SoxRulecubsdrool
I love how Rodriguez calls for the popups with total authority and just whips his helmet 30 feet away before he catches the ball.

I always thought the guy was pretty good. It seemed last spring when there was a little tiny bit of buzz about the Sox signing him, not too many here liked the idea.

JJAustin69
Be patient and let Borowski throw Marlins, he is getting tired. Look for a mistake.

JJAustin69
10-10-2003, 11:03 PM
Darn, juuuust missed that one.

WhiteSox = Life
10-10-2003, 11:13 PM
This is all I've got.

Dammit!

:angry:

FarWestChicago
10-10-2003, 11:17 PM
This is all I've got.Go Yankees!! :?:

WhiteSox = Life
10-10-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Go Yankees!! :?:

It should've been, "This is all I've got:" to be exact.

Go Yankees, indeed. The Marlins still have a lot of time and this game is not yet over. I don't want to see the Cubs or the Red Sox in the World Series.

For now, though, the Marlins have to do what they've done all year: come from behind at the end and win the game.

VeeckAsInWreck
10-10-2003, 11:23 PM
Remlinger hasn't had a save since 2001, let's keep that streak going!

WhiteSox = Life
10-10-2003, 11:26 PM
The "Let's Go, Cubbies" chant in the background is making me retch.

Pierre had a great at-bat, but swung at ball four.

C'mon, Marlins.

WhiteSox = Life
10-10-2003, 11:28 PM
Dropped third strike and Castillo is safe on first with one out.

Rodriguez up.

VeeckAsInWreck
10-10-2003, 11:29 PM
(playing Bee Gee's "Staying Alive)

GO I-ROD!!!!!!!!

VeeckAsInWreck
10-10-2003, 11:32 PM
C'mon Marlins, at least tie it up and keep it going!!!!!!!

WhiteSox = Life
10-10-2003, 11:32 PM
Remlinger bobbles and Rodriguez grounds out, 3-1.

It's up to Derrek Lee to not pull a Mike Mordecai, but take Rodriguez' mantle of hero.

C'mon, Marlins.

WhiteSox = Life
10-10-2003, 11:34 PM
Sonofa...

Shades of D'Angelo Jimenez.

VeeckAsInWreck
10-10-2003, 11:34 PM
What the fudge!!!! :angry: :angry:

Bisco Stu
10-10-2003, 11:35 PM
Luck o' the Flubs

A.T. Money
10-10-2003, 11:36 PM
The Cubs are the Cinderella team of baseball. Freaky weird **** happens to the other team. Ramirez bobbles the ball, and Castillo gets hung up. Freaky ****.

I'm afraid the Cubs are going to go a long way. You don't need to be the best team to win it, you just need to get the breaks at the right times, and right now, the Cubs are getting them.

WhiteSox = Life
10-10-2003, 11:36 PM
I can't believe the luck of the Cubs. Wow.

:o:

Marlins were 8-0 in one-run games in their postseason history. They are now 8-1 and on the brink of going down in this series and a little bit too far out to climb back to the top.

Brush this tough loss off, Fish, and come back tomorrow and Sunday with a vengeance.

:cool:

VeeckAsInWreck
10-10-2003, 11:37 PM
:tool
"This is going as planned! BWAHAHAHAHA!"

Viva Magglio
10-10-2003, 11:38 PM
Can someone please explain to my why the @#$% why the baseball gods are harrassing us like this??? How many kicks in the balls do we have to @#$%ing take!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

crector
10-10-2003, 11:42 PM
Well, the Cubs's 2 pitching weak links, Clement and Zambrano are up the next 2 days, so the series should be coming back to Wrigley, 3-2 with Florida in the lead.

WhiteSox = Life
10-10-2003, 11:43 PM
Something needs to be set up where we could lure 10,000 Cubs fans into a giant warehouse, suading them to go in because of beer and more beer. Then, once they've all entered, have the walls slowly move in, crushing all occupants.

It wouldn't be too illegal, would it?

voodoochile
10-10-2003, 11:44 PM
Nice bunt by Castillo and Pierre is at second. Baker wisely calls the intentional walk on Rodriguez.

How will D-Lee respond?

That was a horrible call. If you are going to give up the out anyway, why not send Pierre. That stat that proves that you are more likely to score from first with no one out than second with one out is built for this exact situation. Part of why it is more likely is because of the possibility of a stolen base. Pierre led the league in them. Play the percentages, send Pierre.

Heck at least do hit and run. Hmmm... like the flubbies did with Lofton in the 11th to score the winning run...

oheeoh...magglio
10-10-2003, 11:46 PM
Something needs to be set up where we could lure 10,000 Cubs fans into a giant warehouse, suading them to go in because of beer and more beer. Then, once they've all entered, have the walls slowly move in, crushing all occupants.

It wouldn't be too illegal, would it?

As my wise, wise best friend once told me "it's not illegal unless you get caught." :D:

voodoochile
10-10-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Can someone please explain to my why the @#$% why the baseball gods are harrassing us like this??? How many kicks in the balls do we have to @#$%ing take!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh please...

WhiteSox = Life
10-10-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by crector
Well, the Cubs's 2 pitching weak links, Clement and Zambrano are up the next 2 days, so the series should be coming back to Wrigley, 3-2 with Florida in the lead.

It's the only way the Marlins preserve their home-field advantage and give themselves a true shot at winning the series.

The Fish need to take the next two games at home, or there is little to no chance they can advance to the World Series.

And, we all know what that would mean...

WhiteSox = Life
10-10-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
That was a horrible call. If you are going to give up the out anyway, why not send Pierre. That stat that proves that you are more likely to score from first with no one out than second with one out is built for this exact situation. Part of why it is more likely is because of the possibility of a stolen base. Pierre led the league in them. Play the percentages, send Pierre.

Heck at least do hit and run. Hmmm... like the flubbies did with Lofton in the 11th to score the winning run...

The thing is, one of the commentators said that Castillo usually takes a few pitches to allow Pierre to steal, but I think he bunted the second pitch he saw, if memory serves correctly.

The execution was fine, but the call was not.

Viva Magglio
10-10-2003, 11:49 PM
It's the only way the Marlins preserve their home-field advantage and give themselves a true shot at winning the series.

The Fish need to take the next two games at home, or there is little to no chance they can advance to the World Series.

And, we all know what would mean...

Our worst nightmare...that's exactly what that would mean!

SoxRulecubsdrool
10-10-2003, 11:51 PM
With the cub win tonight, I am digging myself a big hole to crawl in. Who's got the heavy duty digging equipment?
Please help me, I am fragile.

WhiteSox = Life
10-10-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
"This is going as planned! BWAHAHAHAHA!"

"And now for the Yankees to uphold their end of the bargain! MUWAHAHAHAHA!"

WhiteSox = Life
10-10-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by SoxRulecubsdrool
With the cub win tonight, I am digging myself a big hole to crawl in. Who's got the heavy duty digging equipment?
Please help me, I am fragile.

Just wait, and providing the next game or two's results are not different, you'll more than likely have plenty of other people around to help you out and keep you company.

bc2k
10-11-2003, 12:00 AM
If the Fish lose tomorrow the Cubbies win the pennant. Even if the Malins beat Clement tomorrow, they would still have to win two of the last three games, pitched by Zambrano, Prior, and Wood.

How the hell have the Flubs gotten so far in the playoffs? THEY AREN'T THIS GOOD!

If there is a silver lining, Borowski probably won't be available tomorrow.

Viva Magglio
10-11-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
How the hell have the Flubs gotten so far in the playoffs? THEY AREN'T THIS GOOD!

The baseball gods decided to kick us in the balls over and over again. That's how.

ChiSox14305635
10-11-2003, 12:01 AM

As many as possible until Reinsdorf sees the light. Grab an ice pack; it might be awhile.

WhiteSox = Life
10-11-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
As many as possible until Reinsdorf sees the light. Grab an ice pack; it might be awhile.

There is still time left for the Marlins to come back. So only worry about one thing at a time, and let it be the Cubs losing three more games and the Marlins advancing.

If the above does not happen, remember; it's an ice pack, not an ice pick.

MRKARNO
10-11-2003, 12:15 AM
This series could easily go the full 7 and I would be surprised if the marlins won it any other way

Lip Man 1
10-11-2003, 12:21 AM
Well....

The Cubs didn't have the greatest regular season record but consider.

They have two dominant pitchers in Wood and prior for relatively short series.

They have caught some breaks...they beat Atlanta (100+ plus win team) and the Giants (100+ win team) lost.

and practically every single July addition that was being sneered at by some here at WSI as being 'washed up, over the hill, etc..." (i.e. Lofton, Glanville, Womack, Ramirez, Simon) have come up huge since Labor Day winning either regular season or post season games.

Keeping all that in mind do some of you want to rethink that "the Sox are not cursed" opinion? (There are more things in heaver and Earth Horatio that are dreamt of in your science...)

Hey I can't come up with anything better can you?

Lip

Lip

JohnJeter
10-11-2003, 12:31 AM
It's actually "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy", but that's a minor quibble.

oheeoh...magglio
10-11-2003, 12:45 AM
"And now for the Yankees to uphold their end of the bargain! MUWAHAHAHAHA!"

I hope the Yankees make the series if the Cubs win the NL pennant. There is NO WAY the Cubs could defeat the Yankees, and if they did, it would be so obviously fixed, I might have to consider no longer watching the game of baseball anymore.

kittle42
10-11-2003, 12:47 AM
I give up.

Hand them the Series.

It's all over for us.

voodoochile
10-11-2003, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Keeping all that in mind do some of you want to rethink that "the Sox are not cursed" opinion? (There are more things in heaven and Earth Horatio that are dreamt of in your science...)

I still want to know who cursed them... I mean I would think this problem could be "fixed"... nudge nudge, wink wink. This is a Chicago team we are talking about. Nobody curses nobody in Daley's beautiful utopia without kissing his ring first. No ring kissing, no curse. It's really that simple. We wouldn't want anything should get broken around here now would we? Besides, Hizzonner jr. is a Sox fan. Find the people responsible and bring them to him...

Viva Magglio
10-11-2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Find the people responsible [for the curse] and bring them to [Mayor Daley]...

The people responsible for the curse cannot be brought to Mayor Daley because they are all dead. The last surviving member of the Black Sox died in 1971, I believe.

SoxFan14
10-11-2003, 10:46 AM
I hope the Yankees make the series if the Cubs win the NL pennant. There is NO WAY the Cubs could defeat the Yankees

What are you talking about? The Cubs already beat the Yankees in the regular season -- and looked pretty good doing it.

I think Boston will be more of a challenge to the Cubs. Plus, if it's a Cubs-Yankees World Series, almost EVERYONE with the exception of Sox and Yankee fans will be pulling for the Cubs since, 1. they're the Cinderella story and haven't won in 95 years and 2. people are already tired of seeing the Yankees win it.

If it's a Cubs-Boston WS, the Cubs might not get all of the attention because Boston will also be a big story since they haven't won in a long time, too.

VeeckAsInWreck
10-11-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan14

If it's a Cubs-Boston WS, the Cubs might not get all of the attention because Boston will also be a big story since they haven't won in a long time, too.

Very true, also think about how much the media will crap themselves if there is a Prior vs. Pedro matchup.

:boston
"Anyone have an extra pair of pants I could borrow?"

voodoochile
10-11-2003, 12:27 PM
The people responsible for the curse cannot be brought to Mayor Daley because they are all dead. The last surviving member of the Black Sox died in 1971, I believe.

No... bring the people responsible for casting the curse to Daley. I still say that a curse has to be cast. They don't just happen...