PDA

View Full Version : Longest homer at Comiskey?

andytheclown
10-10-2003, 11:43 AM
Who has hit the longest homer at New Comiskey?

Also, how many homers have actually reached the concourse on a fly?

JRIG
10-10-2003, 11:49 AM
Frank Thomas has hit the longest HR at new Comiskey -- 495 feet during the 2002 season. I believe Eric Chavez' blast is 2nd.

Don't know about the number to hit the concourse on a fly. Can't be many.

andytheclown
10-10-2003, 11:51 AM
I thought that Glenallen Hill hit a bomb a while back that broke Pasqua's record?

dllrbll7
10-10-2003, 11:52 AM
Didn't Pasqua have one of the longest? I also believe Mark Mcquire hit one on top of the New Era Hat place or it may have been on a bounce

mrwag
10-10-2003, 11:58 AM
I remember Pasqua hit the old Winston billboard in right field. That has to be longer than 495.

JRIG
10-10-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by mrwag
I remember Pasqua hit the old Winston billboard in right field. That has to be longer than 495.

I watched that stupid Bulls/Sox Underground show at least six times last year during rain delays. Believe me, Frank's is first for sure. I'm pretty sure Chavez is 2nd, then Pasqua, then McGwire.

Mammoo
10-10-2003, 12:18 PM
From Baseball Almanac (Internet):

"Included among the other great exaggerations in the history of tape measure home runs are Dave Nicholson's Comiskey Park rooftopper on May 6, 1964, and Dave Kingman's Wrigley Field blast on April 14, 1976. In the case of Nicholson, who was a powerful man, as was Kingman, the figure of 573 feet was provided by "White Sox mathematicians." These unidentified individuals based their calculations on the assumption that the ball traveled completely over the left-center-field roof. However, subsequent investigation indicated that the ball landed on the back of the roof before bouncing into the night. When Kingman launched his wind-aided blow in Chicago, the New York Times somehow concluded that it had flown 630 feet. It has been confirmed that the ball struck against the third house beyond Waveland Avenue, which is situated about 530 feet from home plate. Yet again, we have an example of a genuinely epic home run that has been grievously overstated."

Whether true or false, I love these old stories. My brother was at the Nicholson game. He said it was quite a sight to see that ball go over (or on the roof)! :smile:

KingXerxes
10-10-2003, 12:19 PM
All of those are absolutely nothing when compared to the roof shots at Old Comiskey. The ones that took place before they moved the plate up. They used to have placards commemorating each roof shot, but then they moved the plate up about 20 feet or so, and roof shots became a somewhat more common appearance.

Mammoo
10-10-2003, 12:25 PM
Hey Lip, have you ever interviewed him? Do you know where he's living these days? :?:

PaleHoseGeorge
10-10-2003, 12:27 PM

It's a bit deceptive. Pasqua hit the billboard in the right field corner. That's at least 50 feet closer to homeplate than dead-centerfield. Frank's shot reached the edge of the concourse in left-center, one section from the batter's eye. (I know this because the ball landed 5 feet to my left.)

It's hard to say which one flew further. Those "official" home run distances are always pretty suspicious to me. The same goes for the "official" pitch speeds.

FarWestChicago
10-10-2003, 12:36 PM
Let's not forget Dick Allen's Laser Beam Seat Destroyer. Nobody could freeze a rope like him. Especially after burning through a pack of cigarettes. :smile:

KingXerxes
10-10-2003, 12:49 PM
The best thing about Dick Allen was how he would race around the bases inorder to speed the whole game up after a home run. This was due to the fact that he had a bet for the fourth race that he needed to get down over at Sportsman's Park.

jortafan
10-10-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
It's hard to say which one flew further. Those "official" home run distances are always pretty suspicious to me.

You mean to say you question the legitimacy of Sammy Claus hitting a ball 495 feet the other night?

Insofar as Sammy's home run is concerned, I'll concede it was a deep fly ball. But I can't help but think the original Comiskey Park's deep center field (remember when it was 445 feet to the wall?) would have held it in the park for an out. Just think how indignant Sammy would have gotten.

Lip Man 1
10-10-2003, 01:00 PM
Mamoo:

He lives in the Chicago area and I'm working on it. I'd like to ask him about that double header (He hit three home runs in the two games including the roof top shot...the ball by the way was found in Armour Square and WITHOUT any tar on it, leading some to conclude that it did NOT hit the roof.) and the famous shower incident after he had a bad game.

But what I'd really like to get and am hoping to have it in the near future is the WGN TV audio from that game where Nicholson blasted the roof shot (against Kansas City and future Sox pitcher Moe Drabowski) a guy said that he has it and is supposed to send it to me. It's Jack Brickhouse and Lloyd Pettit doing the play by play.

Lip

davenicholson
10-10-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Mamoo:

He lives in the Chicago area and I'm working on it. I'd like to ask him about that double header (He hit three home runs in the two games including the roof top shot...the ball by the way was found in Armour Square and WITHOUT any tar on it, leading some to conclude that it did NOT hit the roof.) and the famous shower incident after he had a bad game.

But what I'd really like to get and am hoping to have it in the near future is the WGN TV audio from that game where Nicholson blasted the roof shot (against Kansas City and future Sox pitcher Moe Drabowski) a guy said that he has it and is supposed to send it to me. It's Jack Brickhouse and Lloyd Pettit doing the play by play.

Lip
I, for one, would relish both! :)

voodoochile
10-10-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by jortafan
You mean to say you question the legitimacy of Sammy Claus hitting a ball 495 feet the other night?

Insofar as Sammy's home run is concerned, I'll concede it was a deep fly ball. But I can't help but think the original Comiskey Park's deep center field (remember when it was 445 feet to the wall?) would have held it in the park for an out. Just think how indignant Sammy would have gotten.

That ball landed on top of the TV camera booth in dead center. It was totally tagged. Cleared all of the ivy and came down on top of the hut that houses the camera.

FarWestChicago
10-10-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
That ball landed on top of the TV camera booth in dead center. It was totally tagged. Cleared all of the ivy and came down on top of the hut that houses the camera. :nandrolone

Me and my vitamins got all of that one!!

voodoochile
10-10-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
:nandrolone

Me and my vitamins got all of that one!!

Actually, I think he is using a wine bottle for a bat again. I can't wait until it shatters.

Mammoo
10-10-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Mamoo:

He lives in the Chicago area and I'm working on it. I'd like to ask him about that double header (He hit three home runs in the two games including the roof top shot....Lip

Fan-friggin'-tastic!!! :D:

MRKARNO
10-10-2003, 04:00 PM
The longest at the cell this year was Barry Bonds' shot to deep right field of 475 ft. I was at that game and that was out and deep in a hurry. It was like the whole world just stopped when he hit it.

DrCrawdad
10-10-2003, 06:21 PM
I'm suspicious of the Sox tape measure. Seems to me that Sox players always have the longest HRs.

This homer exaggeration (or perhaps hyperbole) is nothing unique to the Sox. For example, take note of Cubbie fans and Cubbie broadcasters when they talk about how, "all the Cub starters throw 98 mph." I'm not saying that they don't throw hard. They do, except for Estes. But Prior does not throw 98, neither does Clement. When I've watched Wood throws consistently in the 92-96. Zambrano is regularly in the 91-95, but I guess the other day he supposedly threw 101 mph.

MRKARNO
10-10-2003, 06:50 PM
They have an official computer chart where they can just see where it landed and plot it on the chart and see how far it is (at least that's what I got from an article early in the year). They wanted accurate distances for the hr derby so they spent some money and the people at IIT made a distance chart.

duke of dorwood
10-10-2003, 08:35 PM
I saw the Pasqua shot in person-that thing still had some hang time left if it didnt hit the sign-

RKMeibalane
10-10-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I saw the Pasqua shot in person-that thing still had some hang time left if it didnt hit the sign-

When was that home run hit? I vaguely remember hearing about it, but I can't place the memory exactly.

SoxRulecubsdrool
10-10-2003, 10:36 PM

I had also heard that and imagined that would have to be the farthest.

Maybe not?

nixsox
10-10-2003, 11:50 PM
I think it was the first year of Comiskey, 1991. It was against the Yankees. He hit the Winston sign in RF on a fly. That was a blast. The longest I ever saw hit there.

AngelLeroy
10-11-2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
They have an official computer chart where they can just see where it landed and plot it on the chart and see how far it is (at least that's what I got from an article early in the year). They wanted accurate distances for the hr derby so they spent some money and the people at IIT made a distance chart.

Yes, yes we did. Now we have another dubious claim to fame: magnetic tape, golf ball dimple machine, twinkie filling machine, and charts to see how far a ball went.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-11-2003, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by AngelLeroy
Yes, yes we did. Now we have another dubious claim to fame: magnetic tape, golf ball dimple machine, twinkie filling machine, and charts to see how far a ball went.

Cool "L" stop, though. :smile:

AngelLeroy
10-12-2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Cool "L" stop, though. :smile:

Haha yeah. I SUPPOSE that is an accomplishment... as is our new campus center, which we have affectionately dubbed "the BUT." (Building Under the Tube) It was modeled after a smashed violin by an architect who wears a cape.