PDA

View Full Version : Internet Baseball Awards...

MarkEdward
10-09-2003, 06:46 PM
I don't know how many other people vote in this, but you can post your ballots here if you'd like. Here's mine:
AL MVP
1. Rodriguez, Rangers
2. Ramirez, Red Sox
3. Delgado, Blue Jays
4. Boone, Mariners
5. Giambi, Yankees
6. Thomas, White Sox
7. Ordonez, White Sox
8. Mueller, Red Sox
9. Ortiz, Red Sox
10. Mora, Orioles

AL Cy Young
1. Loaiza, White Sox
2. Hudson, A's
3. Martinez, Red Sox
4. Halladay, Blue Jays
5. Mussina, Yankees

AL Rookie of the Year
1. Berroa, Royals
2. Matsui, Yankees
3. Gerut, Indians

AL Manager of the Year
1. Pena, Roayls
2. Macha, A's
3. Gardenhire, Twins

NL MVP
1. Bonds, Giants
2. Pujols, Cardinals
3. Lopez, Braves
4. Sheffield, Braves
5. Brian Giles, Padres
6. Guerrero, Expos
7. Helton, Rockies
8. Marcus Giles, Braves
9. Edmonds, Cardinals
10. Thome, Phillies

NL Cy Young
1. Schmidt, Giants
2. Prior, Cubs
3. Webb, D'Backs
4. Vazquez, Expos
5. Gagne, Dodgers

NL Rookie of the Year
1. Webb, D'Backs
2. Willis, Marlins
3. Podsednik, Brewers

NL Manger of the Year
1. McKeon, Marlins
2. Alou, Giants
3. Baker, Cubs

poorme
10-09-2003, 06:54 PM
loaiza won't win and he shouldn't win after choking like a dog in the two most important games of the year.

SoxxoS
10-09-2003, 06:55 PM
Two words for manager of the year...

Jerry Manuel.

JohnJeter
10-09-2003, 06:58 PM
I think Halladay gets it, on strength of IP.

hold2dibber
10-09-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by poorme
loaiza won't win and he shouldn't win after choking like a dog in the two most important games of the year.

I agree he won't, but disagree that he shouldn't. The Cy Young is not MVP; it's for best pitcher over the course of the year. I think Loaiza was, hands down, the best pitcher in the AL this year.

fledgedrallycap
10-10-2003, 10:12 AM

I don't agree, if it were not for Loiza the Sox would not of been in a position to be playing games to choke in. Besides, the entire team crapped in their pants. E-Lo is probably going to win because he was the feel good story of the year until the Scrubs got hot.

poorme
10-10-2003, 10:20 AM
my money is on halliday, who pitched about 50 extra innings (equivalent of more than 5 complete games), had a better W-L record, and only a slightly higher era.

actually it's only 40 innings, now that i check. i forgot loaiza pitched on 3 days rest so he could get the most victories ever by a mexican born player. glad he pitched well when it mattered most.

bc2k
10-10-2003, 10:23 AM
I hope the people who vote on the Cy Young take Loaiza's 1-0, 2-1 losses into consideration when voting.

JRIG
10-10-2003, 10:33 AM
I love Esteban, obviously. But Tim Hudson pitched 14 more innings this year and had an ERA .20 lower than Loaiza. He also had a better WHIP, 1.07 to 1.11. Loaiza got to pitch against Cleveland, Detroit, and Tampa Bay a combined 9 times while Hudson had only 4 opportunites against those offensively-challenged clubs. Hudson also pitched more games against Texas and Seattle, two very good hitting teams.

Esteban had a great season, but I think it falls just short of Hudson's. He's my choice for Cy.

cwsox
10-10-2003, 10:34 AM
I'd love ELo to win but I think Halladay really does deserve it - he posted those wins for a much less gifted club - albeit a club that didn't underachieve as much as we did

JRIG
10-10-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
I hope the people who vote on the Cy Young take Loaiza's 1-0, 2-1 losses into consideration when voting.

That would matter only if the voters are like Joe Morgan and think that "Wins" are far and away the most important measuring stick for starting pitchers.

Sadly, I would guess many voters do think this way.

kermittheefrog
10-10-2003, 12:54 PM
My ballot

AL MVP
Alex Rodriguez 1
Bret Boone 2
Carlos Delgado 3
Manny Ramirez 4
Jorge Posada 5
Esteban Loaiza 6
Pedro Martinez 7
Magglio Ordonez 8
Jason Giambi 9
Tim Hudson 10

AL Cy Young
Loaiza
Martinez
Hudson
Halladay
Mussina

AL ROY
Berroa
Matsui
Baldelli

AL Manager
Carlos Tosca 1
Tony Pena 2
Ken Macha 3

NL MVP
Barry Bonds 1
Albert Pujols 2
Gary Sheffield 3
Javy Lopez 4
Edgar Renteria 5
Todd Helton 6
Bobby Abreu 7
Jim Thome 8
Jason Schmidt 9

NL Cy
Schmidt
Prior
Gagne
Webb
Brown

NL ROY
Brandon Webb 1
Dontrelle Willis 2
Jerome Williams 3

NL MOY
Jack McKeon 1
Jim Tracy 2

kermittheefrog
10-10-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward

3. Baker, Cubs

Please explain this one...

Hangar18
10-10-2003, 01:03 PM

Yeah he did. HOWEVER, he had a few No Decisions, where he
Shouldve won the game, but lost 1-0, 1-0, 2-1.
Only because of that.....Should he win, and by the slimmest of
Margins.

MarqSox
10-10-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by cwsox
I'd love ELo to win but I think Halladay really does deserve it - he posted those wins for a much less gifted club - albeit a club that didn't underachieve as much as we did
A pitcher's W-L record is highly overrated. It's an important stat, don't get me wrong, but it's not as telling as ERA. Halladay's ERA was in the mid-3's, which is too high for a Cy Young winner. If Loaiza got the run support that Halladay got, his record would have ben about 24-6 or so.

MarkEdward
10-10-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Please explain this one...

Well, I sort of like to put the maximum number of candidates for each award on the ballot. It's not the best policy, but heck, the awards are supposed to be subjective (especially manager of the year). After McKeon, no NL manger really deserves this award.

Anyway, I have no real strong argument for choosing Baker. I could've easily picked Jimy Williams or Jim Tracey or Frank Robinson. Unlike these three however, Baker did get his team to the playoffs (terrible reasoning, baseless, I know) with a very crappy offense. He also got good production out of Eric Karros and Mark Grudzielanek, who both seemed done for at the end of 2002.

I picked my ballot mostly on a whim (damn school gave me little time really look over the stats). Looking back, I probably did make some mistakes. Baldelli should most likely be ahead of Gerut in the AL ROY, Gagne should be higher on the NL CYA. Overall, I'm pretty happy with my ballot, though.