PDA

View Full Version : Sox Payroll Limit Question

GoSox2K3
10-09-2003, 02:37 PM
There has been so much discussion on this site lately about ways the Sox can juggle trades and Free Agents to put together a winning team within their budget, that makes me ask some more basic questions. I'd appreciate some input:

What is the Sox declared salary limit for 2004? Is it $65 million?

Do people on this site believe this is a fair limit for the Sox to impose on themselves? Why aren't they willing to spend some more to try to put the Sox over the top in '04?

If the difference between us and the Yankees for Colon is 3-5 million, what's stopping the Sox from just spending that much more? Are the team's finances and revenues that poor?

voodoochile
10-09-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
There has been so much discussion on this site lately about ways the Sox can juggle trades and Free Agents to put together a winning team within their budget, that makes me ask some more basic questions. I'd appreciate some input:

Do people on this site believe this is a fair limit for the Sox to impose on themselves? Why aren't they willing to spend some more to try to put the Sox over the top in '04?

If the difference between us and the Yankees for Colon is 3-5 million, what's stopping the Sox from just spending that much more? Are the team's finances and revenues that poor?

The first definitive answer you see to any of those questions will be the first one there is. All of their salary constraints are self imposed. They have never said how much they are willing to spend, what their profits are, how many tickets they need to sell to raise payroll or whether they are willing to risk a loss to chance a playoff run.

In addition, the books are not open and what information they have released leads some people to believe they are hiding revenue to make it look like they are not making money and thus cannot spend more.

If anyone knows more than that, I will be delighted to retract any or all of my statement.

RichH55
10-09-2003, 03:04 PM

On Colon....I think the Sox made their best offer already.

They can spend more money, I just hope they do it wisely. With the Yankees and Colon...if they want him, they will get him. Even if the Sox were a 90 million payroll, they still could not reasonably be expected to keep with the Yankees in a pure bidding war

soxtalker
10-09-2003, 03:08 PM
I don't have a link, but I recall reading a column in Baseball America (paper copy, actually, though I'm sure that it was avaible in either the free or premium online version) a couple of weeks ago in which it was stated that JR had directed something like a $5M CUT in payroll for next year. Now, who knows how accurate that is, but it does contrast with all of the calls for payroll increases that I've seen on the board.

GoSox2K3
10-09-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
I don't have a link, but I recall reading a column in Baseball America (paper copy, actually, though I'm sure that it was avaible in either the free or premium online version) a couple of weeks ago in which it was stated that JR had directed something like a $5M CUT in payroll for next year. Now, who knows how accurate that is, but it does contrast with all of the calls for payroll increases that I've seen on the board.

God I hope that's not true. I guess things will never change on the South Side.

RichH55
10-09-2003, 05:33 PM
God I hope that's not true. I guess things will never change on the South Side.

I don't know about you, but I'm calling for about a 8 million dollar payroll cut

:walnuts
I did not recieve my paycheck this week....I was told that I would recieve my paycheck(Think Office Space)

soxruleEP
10-10-2003, 09:48 AM
I have no data to back this up, but I'm willing to bet that the payroll figure is derived from some income floor based on tv/radio rights, ball park advertising, and ancillary income. The "payroll ceiling" probably guaranteed JR and his partners a certain return on their investment.

I wish he'd take the real return on his investment and sell the team to somebody who understands that winning begets greater income.

GoSox2K3
10-10-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by soxruleEP
... The "payroll ceiling" probably guaranteed JR and his partners a certain return on their investment.

I wish he'd take the real return on his investment and sell the team to somebody who understands that winning begets greater income.

I agree 100%. For 20 years, the only thing JR has shown the ability to focus on is his short term investment.

Attendance was up in '03 and the team made a good run for the playoffs (despite taking the 1st half of the season off and despite having an imcompetent manager). You'd think any decent businessman would realize that he's got a great chance to put his team over the top next year and would be willing to look beyond his immediate bottom line and go for that chance with the realization that he'd see a long term benefit through increased ticket sales.

But it sounds like all we should look forward to for '04 is a payroll cut and another mediocre season. That sounds like a great way to sell tickets! Let's blame the Cubs for our attendance woes!