PDA

View Full Version : Sam Perlozzo, Manager Candidate

DrCrawdad
10-09-2003, 12:26 PM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:xK6DyA_lJFMC:seattletimes.nwsource.co m/ABPub/perlozzo06_1105180538.jpeg

Speculation has centered on former Toronto manager Cito Gaston, Baltimore bench coach Sam Perlozzo, Double-A Birmingham manager Wally Backman and Florida third-base coach Ozzie Guillen as possible candidates. But there is no confirmation that any of the candidates has been interviewed. LINKY (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20031008&content_id=568958&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cha)

Has Perlozzo been mentioned yet here on WSI?

poorme
10-09-2003, 12:29 PM
there must be about 25 different guys' names out there. is KW going to interview them all? this seems absurd. what in the world does sam perlozzo bring to the table? where are these names coming from? i almost feel that KW is leaking names to the media just as a joke.

Jerko
10-09-2003, 12:33 PM
I think I would rather have Enrique Perlozzo.

DrCrawdad
10-09-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by poorme
there must be about 25 different guys' names out there. is KW going to interview them all? this seems absurd. what in the world does sam perlozzo bring to the table? where are these names coming from? i almost feel that KW is leaking names to the media just as a joke.

The article makes very plain, as well as the quote, that Perlozzo being a candidate is SPECULATION.

Perlozzo was bench coach for the Orioles. IIRC that was what Manuel's brought to the table. Seems to me that being a bench coach is often a qualification for manager. Wasn't Ken Macca an bench coach last year? Macca was a candidate for the Cubbie managing job, IIRC.

Not that I'm an advocate of Perlozzo. Other than Perlozzo being a bench coach, I have no idea of his qualifications.

soxtalker
10-09-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by poorme

KW is trying to keep this very quiet. Exactly why is not clear to me. I can't see that any media speculation would affect his decision or bargaining power. I would think that speculation in the media would be good publicity for the team.

Hangar18
10-09-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
I think I would rather have Enrique Perlozzo.

What about Chuck Panozzo ???

KingXerxes
10-09-2003, 02:28 PM
I've written this on other posts - so it won't come as news to a lot of you, but I still feel that the White Sox have already agreed to terms with their new manager. As for the fact that 25 names or so are being bandied about - If you're going to try and hide a tree, the best place to do it is in a forest. There is a concerted effort to create a picture where it looks like the job is up for grabs, and when they finally announce who it is, you'll be able to look back and see that it was quite possible that the guy could have been easily named at the Manuel firing press conference.

Again - it's just my humble opinion, but it would fit into JR's history.

:hawk

"Mercy..............are you saying I wasn't interviewed, and I wasn't the strongest candidate?"

:KW

"To say that predetermined people are filling spots without interviewing and emerging as the strongest candidate would impugn my appointment as general manager."

xil357
10-09-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
What about Chuck Panozzo ???

Is he the dead brother from Styx? Or the one who is still alive?

Back in my "long hair" days I played in a band with Dennis DeYoung's son, Matt DeYoung. Dennis' in-house recording studio walls were filled with Styx's gold and platinum records and photos of Dennis and Tony LaRussa at Comiskey Park. One time in February 1994 Dennis, JY, the living Panozzo brother (I think it was Chuck), Mrs. DeYoung, Matt DeYoung, my band's guitar player and I were gathered in the DeYoung's kitchen. Over Mrs. DeYoung's homemade pizza puffs I had the opportunity to talk White Sox baseball with the biggest rock act of 1979!

Also, in 1987 I threw out the ceremonial first pitch at a White Sox vs. Boston game to Ozzie Guillen (the Sox lost the game). Ozzie signed the ball for me afterwards. My father had won a drawing to throw out the first pitch but let me throw it in his place. That's why his name was on the Diamond Vision scoreboard and not mine! LOL

So, if Ozzie and Chuck Panozzo are the two leading managerial candidates, I truthfully can say that I have ties to both of them!

Jerko
10-10-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by xil357
Is he the dead brother from Styx? Or the one who is still alive?

Back in my "long hair" days I played in a band with Dennis DeYoung's son, Matt DeYoung. Dennis' in-house recording studio walls were filled with Styx's gold and platinum records and photos of Dennis and Tony LaRussa at Comiskey Park. One time in February 1994 Dennis, JY, the living Panozzo brother (I think it was Chuck), Mrs. DeYoung, Matt DeYoung, my band's guitar player and I were gathered in the DeYoung's kitchen. Over Mrs. DeYoung's homemade pizza puffs I had the opportunity to talk White Sox baseball with the biggest rock act of 1979!

Also, in 1987 I threw out the ceremonial first pitch at a White Sox vs. Boston game to Ozzie Guillen (the Sox lost the game). Ozzie signed the ball for me afterwards. My father had won a drawing to throw out the first pitch but let me throw it in his place. That's why his name was on the Diamond Vision scoreboard and not mine! LOL

So, if Ozzie and Chuck Panozzo are the two leading managerial candidates, I truthfully can say that I have ties to both of them!

Maybe there's a bullpen coaching job in your future if Ozzie/Chuck get the job. Unless it's Ozzie Osbourne and Chuck Woolery, which is kind of what we had the LAST 6 seasons.