PDA

View Full Version : New Development = Possible FA sign?

JDP
10-09-2003, 01:33 AM
The San Francisco Giants are cutting $10 in payroll: Snow, Aurillia and Santiago.

Santiago made $1,750,000 last year. How about getting him for a year at that same price or perhaps a little bit lower? I know I'm not too thrilled w/ the idea of Olivo and Burke as the 2004 catchers.

Thoughts?

OneDog
10-09-2003, 06:18 AM
The Sox may still want to bring back both Alomar brothers. It seems like they are a package deal. They only play up to potential when they are with each other. That being said, I would much rather have Santiago. But only for a one or two year deal at most. His age is going to start catching up with him.

poorme
10-09-2003, 07:57 AM
santiago is about 53 years old and only marginally better than olivo. how about we spend the money elsewhere. i wouldn't mind having snow on the bench just so i can refresh my memory as to what a good defensive 1B looks like.

dan
10-09-2003, 08:03 AM
Santiago is so old that signing him wouldn't really make a difference. If they could get Aurilia for less than what Jose expects, I think they could make out well.

soxtalker
10-09-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by JDP
...I know I'm not too thrilled w/ the idea of Olivo and Burke as the 2004 catchers.

Thoughts?

Why are you not happy with the idea of Olivo and Burke as 2004 catchers (with possibly S. Alomar to start off or serve as back-up)?

Burke is really the question here. I don't know much about him. He seemed to come out of nowhere and hit well in the extremely small number of games that he played.

Olivo seems to be considered the Sox catcher for a long time to come. I will grant you that he had a terrible season hitting, though I don't think that means that he's doomed to be terrible for his career. His arm is widely respected; teams avoid running on him. And I think that the word is that he made good strides in calling games.

34 Inch Stick
10-09-2003, 08:51 AM
I thought you were going to say Aurillia. Olivo hit over .250 in the second half of the year last year after coming up from AA. I don't think the Sox should sign anyone who would retard his development. Very little money should be spent on catching this offseason.

Brian26
10-09-2003, 09:00 AM
Santiago is living on borrowed time. The numbers he put up in 2002 and 2003 are unbelievable for his age and injury record. I'd stay away from him at this point. Sandy would fill that role quite well.

MisterB
10-09-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by JDP
The San Francisco Giants are cutting $10 in payroll: Snow, Aurillia and Santiago.

Santiago made $1,750,000 last year. How about getting him for a year at that same price or perhaps a little bit lower? I know I'm not too thrilled w/ the idea of Olivo and Burke as the 2004 catchers.

Thoughts?

The reason Santiago wants to test the FA market is that he wants a raise. If the interest in him is low and no one will offer a larger dollar amount, he would probably go back to the Giants.

Snow's option won't be picked up, and has said he'd probably retire if the he can't work a deal with the Giants.

Aurilia is 32 and has already peaked offensively, he's no more than an average offensive SS and a below average defensive one.

The potential Giant FA's I'd have interest in are Ponson (especially if we can't sign Colon), Jose Cruz (if we get top-of-the-order types for 2B and SS) and possibly Felix Rodriguez (if Gordon doesn't re-sign and Marte becomes the closer).

jeremyb1
10-09-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by OneDog
The Sox may still want to bring back both Alomar brothers. It seems like they are a package deal. They only play up to potential when they are with each other.

Hahaha. Yeah, they were both stellar for us after we acquired Robbie.

gosox41
10-09-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I thought you were going to say Aurillia. Olivo hit over .250 in the second half of the year last year after coming up from AA. I don't think the Sox should sign anyone who would retard his development. Very little money should be spent on catching this offseason.

How much do you thing Aurllia would cost? He is a SS, right? For the right price he might be worth a shot, unless the Sox can trade for a solid young SS.

Bob

RichH55
10-09-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
How much do you thing Aurllia would cost? He is a SS, right? For the right price he might be worth a shot, unless the Sox can trade for a solid young SS.

Bob

Aurilla is way down the list of SS I want....Had one great year that I remember and the rest of his numbers wont justify what he winds up making

Mammoo
10-09-2003, 03:37 PM
We already have B. Santiago...his name is Sandy Alomar Jr.

hold2dibber
10-09-2003, 06:10 PM

Bob

If you compare their numbers, (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_sortable_player_stats.jsp?section1=1&section2=1&section3=1&statSet2=null&statSet3=null&statType=1&timeFrame=1&timeSubFrame=2003&baseballScope=mlb&prevPage1=1&readBoxes=true&sitSplit=&venueID=&subScope=pos&teamPosCode=6&compare.y=1&compare.x=&box1=XXXX110383sfn6&box2=XXXX123610cha6&statSet1=1) you'll see that Aurilia is not an upgrade from Jose. Less homers, less RBI, lower SLG - his BA and OBP are better, but he also grounds into double plays like a made man (18! last year) and hits righty - the Sox have plenty of right handed hitting double-play machines already, thank you. Also, if you factor in Graffy's numbers against lefties, (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_player_splits.jsp?playerID=115017&sitSplit1=All&statType=1&splitSet=1&statSet=1) the Jose/Tony platoon at short is MUCH more productive than Aurillia (even taking into consideration the fact that Aurilia played in a pitcher's park). Plus, he is, at best, only a slight upgrade defensively over Jose (at best). Jose/Tony combined probably will cost approximately the same as Aurillia. I wouldn't go anywhere near Aurillia.

gosox41
10-09-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Aurilla is way down the list of SS I want....Had one great year that I remember and the rest of his numbers wont justify what he winds up making

I'm just thinking that I'd rather have Aurilla for about $1 mill. then Valentin for $3 mill.

Obviosuly neither is my first choice, but this team needs to start investing wisely. It's not worth overpaying Jose.

Bob

soxwon
10-09-2003, 08:44 PM
Santiagos so old
if we signed Santiago say in Spring Training
it would take him a year to drive from phoenix to chicago
too many rest stop breaks LMAO

guillen4life13
10-09-2003, 09:36 PM
We already have two people competing for time at 1B... getting J.T. would be ludicrous.

Seeing as the two positions that probably have the most glaring needs are CF, and SS (though I think SS is good enough as of now), I think that a CF who can lead off would be ideal. Trading for Juan Pierre would be great (PK+Borchard for Juan Pierre).

I know some of you may not like that idea, but here's my reasoning. PK is not worth what he is being paid, and there is speculation that Joe Borchard is not on his way to tapping into the potential many believe he has/had. Yet, the Marlins have this top prospect CF switch hitter with a very high power/RBI potential. On top of that, they might be drawn to PK because he is probably a better option for the Marlins than Derrek Lee. PK is only one year removed from making the all-star team, and having an awesome year. He's still relatively young, so there is some draw to such a player. And if LTP and PK don't satisfy the Marlins, then we can toss Aaron Rowand into the mix also.

Meanwhile, the Sox get the leadoff hitter/CF they've been needing. Pierre has amazing speed, and a good track record in terms of BA. Career .729 OPS, .357 OBP, .307 BA. Averages around 53 SB's per season. I really don't see what's not to like about him.

RichH55
10-09-2003, 10:27 PM
I'm just thinking that I'd rather have Aurilla for about $1 mill. then Valentin for $3 mill.

Obviosuly neither is my first choice, but this team needs to start investing wisely. It's not worth overpaying Jose.

Bob

Except you have the money flipped....thats probably a minor point here, right?

RichH55
10-09-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
We already have two people competing for time at 1B... getting J.T. would be ludicrous.

Seeing as the two positions that probably have the most glaring needs are CF, and SS (though I think SS is good enough as of now), I think that a CF who can lead off would be ideal. Trading for Juan Pierre would be great (PK+Borchard for Juan Pierre).

I know some of you may not like that idea, but here's my reasoning. PK is not worth what he is being paid, and there is speculation that Joe Borchard is not on his way to tapping into the potential many believe he has/had. Yet, the Marlins have this top prospect CF switch hitter with a very high power/RBI potential. On top of that, they might be drawn to PK because he is probably a better option for the Marlins than Derrek Lee. PK is only one year removed from making the all-star team, and having an awesome year. He's still relatively young, so there is some draw to such a player. And if LTP and PK don't satisfy the Marlins, then we can toss Aaron Rowand into the mix also.

Meanwhile, the Sox get the leadoff hitter/CF they've been needing. Pierre has amazing speed, and a good track record in terms of BA. Career .729 OPS, .357 OBP, .307 BA. Averages around 53 SB's per season. I really don't see what's not to like about him.

How about the .729 OPS?

Tragg
10-09-2003, 11:35 PM
We should be dumping overpaid, declining veterans, not adding them. The alomar brothers are tough enough to stomach - snow? santiago? Maybe we could sign Ozzie - but as a SS, not a manager

BroadwyBabyMiami
10-10-2003, 12:27 AM
one of the funniest things i heard during the Marlins Giants playoff games was "hey santiago! you died 10 years ago and nobody told you!" hahaha

that being said i think you are better off without him.

if he made any key plays during that series i really can't recall so they must not have been that great.

hold2dibber
10-10-2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by guillen4life13

I can't imagine the Marlins doing that deal. First of all, PK is way overpaid, and the Fish are broke as it is. This deal would add about $6 mm to their payroll next year, and I don't think they can afford it, especially with Lee, Lowell and Castillo becoming free agents. To get Pierre, the Sox would have to give the Fish someone good and cheap - like Crede or Reed or Garland or Marte. I wouldn't do any of those deals.

JDP
10-10-2003, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
....especially with Lee, Lowell and Castillo becoming free agents.

Not to mention I-Rod as well.

guillen4life13
10-10-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I can't imagine the Marlins doing that deal. First of all, PK is way overpaid, and the Fish are broke as it is. This deal would add about $6 mm to their payroll next year, and I don't think they can afford it, especially with Lee, Lowell and Castillo becoming free agents. To get Pierre, the Sox would have to give the Fish someone good and cheap - like Crede or Reed or Garland or Marte. I wouldn't do any of those deals.

Borchard?