PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Virtual Edition

RKMeibalane
10-08-2003, 11:26 PM
April 5: The Chicago White Sox opened the season in Kansas City with a 5-2 win, behind a strong performance from Bartolo Colon. Going eight innings, Colon struck out nine men while walking only one. On the offensive side of the ball, Joe Crede drove in two runs with a double in the fifth inning. Frank Thomas, back at first base, collected two hits and an RBI, and Magglio Ordonez and Aaron Rowand each added run-scoring singles of their own.

April 6: During Spring Training, new Sox manager Cito Gaston hinted that Billy Koch "hadn't quite nailed down the closer's job," causing speculation that the veteran was in danger of being released if he started slowly. The speculation appeared to be justified, as Koch blew a five-run lead in the ninth inning. The Sox held on to win 8-7, but not before Koch was yanked from the game by a dissapointed Gaston, who offered this to reporters following the game: "I don't know what I'm going to do. We're two games into this thing, and we're already having problems."

April 7: Angered by comments that the Sox should have prusued Japanese star Hideki Matsui during the off-season, Jose Valentin sought to prove his crtiics wong. Valentin went 3-4 with a three-run homer and an RBI triple, both off of KC starter Darrel May. Magglio Ordonez added his first home run of the season, and Paul Konerko added an RBI double, as the Sox cruised 7-1. The 3-0 start was the Sox best since 1999, prompting some to believe that the inigmatic club had turned the corner. Frank Thomas was having none of it. "We have a lot of work to do," he said. "Three games doesn't mean anything when you have six months of baseball left."

April 9: Thomas hit his first home run of the season, providing the only offense for a White Sox team that saw itself fall to the Detroit Tigers by the score of 2-1. Thomas, who also singled and walked, had this to say following the game: "Detroit hurt us last season. We need to get things together, or they're going to do it again." Paul Konerko agreed, adding, "We need to do a better job in these kinds of games. The intensity just isn't there for some reason."

April 12: The White Sox continued their early-season success, spanking the Kansas City Royals in their home-opener, winning 11-4 in front of a sold-out crowd at US Cellular Field. Thomas, Ordonez, Konerko, and Carlos Lee each hit home runs, and Mark Buehrle picked up his second win of the season, pitching seven innings before leaving with a man on in the eighth.

doublem23
10-09-2003, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
[Angered by comments that the Sox should have prusued Japanese star Hideki Matsui during the off-season

Hideki plays for the Yankees; you mean Kazuhiro (sp?).

Brian26
10-09-2003, 10:06 AM
I'm still trying to figure out why Konerko, Lee, Mags and Frank are all in that lineup. I'd have to think that at least one of those guys will be gone by 4/1/03.

rmusacch
10-09-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
April 5: The Chicago White Sox opened the season in Kansas City with a 5-2 win, behind a strong performance from Bartolo Colon. Going eight innings, Colon struck out nine men while walking only one. On the offensive side of the ball, Joe Crede drove in two runs with a double in the fifth inning. Frank Thomas, back at first base, collected two hits and an RBI, and Magglio Ordonez and Aaron Rowand each added run-scoring singles of their own.

April 6: During Spring Training, new Sox manager Cito Gaston hinted that Billy Koch "hadn't quite nailed down the closer's job," causing speculation that the veteran was in danger of being released if he started slowly. The speculation appeared to be justified, as Koch blew a five-run lead in the ninth inning. The Sox held on to win 8-7, but not before Koch was yanked from the game by a dissapointed Gaston, who offered this to reporters following the game: "I don't know what I'm going to do. We're two games into this thing, and we're already having problems."

April 7: Angered by comments that the Sox should have prusued Japanese star Hideki Matsui during the off-season, Jose Valentin sought to prove his crtiics wong. Valentin went 3-4 with a three-run homer and an RBI triple, both off of KC starter Darrel May. Magglio Ordonez added his first home run of the season, and Paul Konerko added an RBI double, as the Sox cruised 7-1. The 3-0 start was the Sox best since 1999, prompting some to believe that the inigmatic club had turned the corner. Frank Thomas was having none of it. "We have a lot of work to do," he said. "Three games doesn't mean anything when you have six months of baseball left."

April 9: Thomas hit his first home run of the season, providing the only offense for a White Sox team that saw itself fall to the Detroit Tigers by the score of 2-1. Thomas, who also singled and walked, had this to say following the game: "Detroit hurt us last season. We need to get things together, or they're going to do it again." Paul Konerko agreed, adding, "We need to do a better job in these kinds of games. The intensity just isn't there for some reason."

April 12: The White Sox continued their early-season success, spanking the Kansas City Royals in their home-opener, winning 11-4 in front of a sold-out crowd at US Cellular Field. Thomas, Ordonez, Konerko, and Carlos Lee each hit home runs, and Mark Buehrle picked up his second win of the season, pitching seven innings before leaving with a man on in the eighth.

Is the Sox schedule published anywhere? I have only been able to find the Royals schedule.

RKMeibalane
10-09-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Hideki plays for the Yankees; you mean Kazuhiro (sp?).

You're correct. I was referring to Kaz Matsui. Brain cramp!