PDA

View Full Version : US Cellular ballpark improvements

palehosepub
10-08-2003, 03:34 PM
Here's what I know about ballpark improvements for US Cellular next year. I have a neighbor who is a contractor involved in the project.

1) Remove the top dozen (or so) rows of seats from the entire upper deck.
2) Built a canopy over the reduced upper deck in the green and black color scheme which is gradually replacing all things blue. (Eventually all the seats may be replaced with green, but that expenditure would be years away). The canopy is to reduce the "vertigo feeling" of the upper deck.
3) Cut "arches" in the upper deck to mirror old Comiskey' design and to "open up" the space.
4) Relocate removed seats to the newly added right field upper deck "porch" .
Sounds like some nice improvements!!!!

Viva Magglio
10-08-2003, 04:03 PM
Isn't the RF porch several years away too?

A.T. Money
10-08-2003, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the post, and welcome aboard.

But these are things we've speculated all year, except for the arches thing. When are the White Sox going to officially announce this?

xil357
10-08-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by palehosepub
Here's what I know about ballpark improvements for US Cellular next year. I have a neighbor who is a contractor involved in the project.

2) Built a canopy over the reduced upper deck in the green and black color scheme which is gradually replacing all things blue. (Eventually all the seats may be replaced with green, but that expenditure would be years away). The canopy is to reduce the "vertigo feeling" of the upper deck.
3) Cut "arches" in the upper deck to mirror old Comiskey' design and to "open up" the space.

Welcome aboard!

Thanks for the insider info.

I was disappointed that my vacation to Chicago coincided with the Sox being on the road in late July and early August, so I was unable to see in person the changes made for 2003. But with all these exciting changes in the works, now I know I simply must get up there in 2004 to check it all out!

Green seats, arches and a so-called home run porch! Excellent!

GoSox2K3
10-08-2003, 04:16 PM

Thanks for the update! Can't wait to see the end product. I'm having trouble imagining where the arches would go.

How about this for a ballpark improvement: Making possible to put up a giant sign that says "White Sox: World Champions ". I'd actually settle for one that just said "American League Champions". I wish Sox ownership was more committed to making that happen.

voodoochile
10-08-2003, 04:17 PM

Others have said it, but I'll make it "official"... Welcome Aboard! :D:

Always nice to see some "inside info" about what the future holds. Hope you are right. I am surprised to learn the RF UD is going to be installed so soon. That would be fantastic.

palehosepub
10-08-2003, 04:21 PM
I am a season ticket holder and none of these changes have been formally announced. But I can say with a good degree of certainty that they will be done. My guess is the SOX PR will have to make an announcement in the coming weeks as the season ticket renewals will be sent out soon.

Mammoo
10-08-2003, 04:48 PM
My guess is the SOX PR will have to make an announcement in the coming weeks as the season ticket renewals will be sent out soon.

...and all the Cubs hysteria dies down! :D:

DrCrawdad
10-08-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo

Donít hold your breath waiting for the hysteria to die down. Win or lose the Cubbie hysteria wonít die any time soon. Heck, Cubbie fans and the media have already said that the Cubbies winning the NLDS has ended the Cubbies 95 year World Series Championship dry spell.

MRKARNO
10-08-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo

Maybe penny can quiet down the cubs hysteria

Gammons Peter
10-08-2003, 05:33 PM
Arches?? where, how. In the new roof/canopy/overhang

A.T. Money
10-08-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Gammons Peter

I haven't been able to visualize that either. Hopefully it's not on the outside only where you can't see it on the inside.

Foulke You
10-08-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Gammons Peter

Perhaps the canopy will start from where the top of the roof is now and they will cut the arches into the bare concrete where the seats have been ripped out? They could smooth and straighten out the concrete, paint it, and make it look sharp without changing the existing structure of the deck too much. Then put a little walkway that encircles the upper deck and allows people to walk by the arches and see the skyline. Just me speculating here. I have no idea what their final plan is.

dllrbll7
10-08-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Perhaps the canopy will start from where the top of the roof is now and they will cut the arches into the bare concrete where the seats have been ripped out? They could smooth and straighten out the concrete, paint it, and make it look sharp without changing the existing structure of the deck too much. Then put a little walkway that encircles the upper deck and allows people to walk by the arches and see the skyline. Just me speculating here. I have no idea what their final plan is.

I think that would be very sweet. The only thing is thats like having two UD concourses. It would be a sweet view of the city from up there i would imagine.

soxnut
10-09-2003, 12:50 AM
Years ago I wrote a letter to the Sox suggesting the idea of the arches in the upper deck, to create a space where light would come through, and add character shadows. I hope that is what's going on. If the arches are part of the facade of the roof canopy, that would be cool too, kind of a play on the old facade of Yankee Stadium.

I also agree with the canopy idea of getting rid of the vertigo feeling. When I have sat in the upper deck, I prefer to sit in the first few rows(of course) or the rows under the roof. Anywhere in the middle does give me the vertigo effect, so I know the canopy will reduce that feeling. :smile:

I just would like an official announcement, and some artists renderins, photos, etc.

chisox06
10-09-2003, 02:07 AM
I dont know about you guys but I remeber seeing those photos of Comiskey on that construction website a long while back, and then it got taken down once it got popular here. Its sounding more and more like those plans that we saw are what is actually going to happen (RF porch, UD cut off etc). I loved those pictures and it made Comiskey look a LOT less sterile and real cool. Hopefully those are the blueprints there actually following. I just wish they would tell us something instead of having us take shots in the dark.

mrwag
10-09-2003, 09:05 AM
I sure hope he's right. Sounds like some really neat upgrades. It's too bad we had to wait 13 years for a finished product. It would have been much cheaper to build it right in the first place, but oh well. Comiskey's always been, in my opinion, a great place to watch a game. Now it will be even better. I just hope they bring the seat pricing levels down to Earth in some of the less-desirable locations. Half-price nights are great, but games through the week aren't possible for everyone.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-09-2003, 09:52 AM
In my opinion, anything the Sox do that make the Cell look more like Yankee Stadium is a HUGE MISTAKE. The blue seats and blue wall padding do enough to make the ballpark look foolish on the South Side. The front of the new roof's facade should be plain--just like Old Comiskey's. Gingerbread nonsense is for NYC's architecture, not Chicago's.

I love the idea of adding arched windows to the Cell. It's no coincidence that Memories of Old Comiskey Park features the arched windows very prominently. Adding arched windows at the rear of the upper deck would be aesthetically pleasing and would solve the problem of getting city skyline views from inside the ballpark. Surprise! Only the fans in the upper deck would get it. Finally there is something special about sitting up there... a good thing.

I'm not an engineer, but I know the posts supporting the rear of the upper deck are 7-10 rows in front of the top row of seats. Assuming the current roof is coming off along with the top 10 rows or so, you might (?) be able to remove the decking and leave the support joists intact. From the point where each support post meets the upper deck, you could create a narrow concourse that wrapped around the top of the upper deck. Since those posts have been supporting 10 rows of seats and a cantilevered roof, they can certainly support this much smaller structure, too.

The rest is easy. Beyond the new upper concourse would be a tall wall (20 feet or so) featuring arched windows and the support posts for a newly enlarged roof. Because this roof will have posts at the *front* in addition to the rear, the weight will be more evenly distributed--thus permitting the weight of a new concourse at the rear. Best of all, those arched windows will be visible from every part of the ballpark and be VERY REMINISCENT of the original design of Old Comiskey. Take a look at this picture from opening day at Old Comiskey and see if you don't agree.

Memories of Old Comiskey Park (http://flyingsock.com/OldComiskey/Beginnings.htm)

Frankly, this sounds pretty expensive. However the arched window idea is the best I've heard yet for fixing the upper deck and making those 10,000 seats worth sitting in.

phaedrus
10-09-2003, 10:02 AM
If they make those arches big enough we might even be able to see a little bit of the skyline to the north.

I still remember sitting in the front row of the upper deck in left field of the old park and having a home run come right at me - only to go right over my head and on to the roof. I turned around and watched that ball drop down through an arch. One of my most vivid memories of the old park. I'd love to see them come back.

anewman35
10-09-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

The rest is easy. Beyond the new upper concourse would be a tall wall (20 feet or so) featuring arched windows and the support posts for a newly enlarged roof. Because this roof will have posts at the *front* in addition to the rear, the weight will be more evenly distributed--thus permitting the weight of a new concourse at the rear. Best of all, those arched will be visible from every part of the ballpark and be VERY REMINISCINT of the original design of Old Comiskey. Take a look at this picture from opening day at Old Comiskey and see if you don't agree.

Wow, this sounds like such a great idea that I'll be disappointed if it (or something simliar) doesn't happen. I hadn't been too impressed with the idea of changing the upper deck (thinking that if people don't like it, fine, just don't sit up there), but if they can make it so there's actually something to do and see "up there", that will greatly improve the ballpark.

I'm looking forward to seeing the plans!

Jerko
10-09-2003, 11:01 AM
The biggest improvement at the Cell is the fact that they got rid of this:

:jerry

dickallen15
10-09-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Jerko
The biggest improvement at the Cell is the fact that they got rid of this:

:jerry

Isn't that the truth