10-08-2003, 02:39 PM
The Sox have a lot of free agents. Off the top of my head:

Colon
Everett
R. Alomar
S. Alomar
B. Daubach
T. Gordon

My question is, what draft pick compensation would the Sox get for each of these guys who depart (assuming, for the sake of discussion, that they offer arbitration to each - as I understand it, if you don't offer arbitration, you don't get any draft pick compensation)? Is there any limit on the number of draft picks a team can get in any given year? Are the picks always in the "sandwich" round between the 1st and 2nd rounds of the draft? And if so, in what order do teams select during the sandwich round?

poorme
10-08-2003, 02:43 PM
good question. those rules were modified a few years ago.

here's some info from last year:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/features/arbitration02.html

hold2dibber
10-08-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by poorme
good question. those rules were modified a few years ago.

here's some info from last year:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/features/arbitration02.html

Thanks. Interesting stuff. I'm guessing Colon and Everett would be type A (so the Sox would get the signing team's 1st round pick and a supplemental pick), Gordon is either an A or a B, R. Alomar is a B, S. Alomar and Daubach are either C or nothing. If they all left (which, IMHO, is a distinct possibility), the Sox likely would be looking at at least 7 extra early round draft choices.

poorme
10-08-2003, 03:11 PM
how many of them would we actually sign?

Randar68
10-08-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Thanks. Interesting stuff. I'm guessing Colon and Everett would be type A (so the Sox would get the signing team's 1st round pick and a supplemental pick), Gordon is either an A or a B, R. Alomar is a B, S. Alomar and Daubach are either C or nothing. If they all left (which, IMHO, is a distinct possibility), the Sox likely would be looking at at least 7 extra early round draft choices.

Well, IIRC, They base the rankings on the previous 2 years' production. With a Gold Glove in there I'd have a hrad time believing Alomar wouldn't be Type A, but he is borderline.

Colon would net a 1st round pick and likely one of the top 2 or 3 Sandwich round picks.

Everett would get similar except for the Sandwich pick being a middle-Sandwich type pick. (99.9% likelihood he's not offerred arbitration)

Sandy and Dogbag will be Type C's

And, as I mentioned, Robbie Alomar will be a borderline A/B player.

To get an idea of how it all goes down, you really need to take a look at the past couple years' rankings...

Chisoxfn
10-08-2003, 06:40 PM
Don't you have to tender them to make it possible? So the Sox would have to tender Everett at only like a 20% decrease and then if someone else signs him then you get the picks?

Daver
10-08-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
Don't you have to tender them to make it possible? So the Sox would have to tender Everett at only like a 20% decrease and then if someone else signs him then you get the picks?

They have to offer them arbitration,before the arbitration deadline,if they decline arbitration then the Sox get the compensorty picks,if they do not decline arbitration then they are effectively signed for the following season at a salary determined by an approved arbitror.

soxtalker
10-08-2003, 11:10 PM
How does this figure with Thomas deal?

voodoochile
10-08-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
How does this figure with Thomas deal?

That should have nothing to do with it. If neither side takes their option then Frank is a FA, plain and simple. If the Sox take theirs then Frank can buy it out for $2M (not going to happen) making him a FA.

I don't know if once he is a FA whether the Sox can then offer him arbitration, but I don't think so.

RichH55
10-09-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Daver
They have to offer them arbitration,before the arbitration deadline,if they decline arbitration then the Sox get the compensorty picks,if they do not decline arbitration then they are effectively signed for the following season at a salary determined by an approved arbitror.

Colon should land some nice picks....Assuming KW gets another pitcher (its a ?, but guys are out there)...then losing Colon might not be the worst option out there....If we go into the season with Garland as our # 3, then I probably will be changing my tune