PDA

View Full Version : Konerko for Choi

Dadawg_77
10-08-2003, 01:03 PM
It might work. The Cubs aren't going to play him and I think he will be a good offensive power for awhile at a cheap rate. Plus it give Dusty one more veteran to use.

JRIG
10-08-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
It might work. The Cubs aren't going to play him and I think he will be a good offensive power for awhile at a cheap rate. Plus it give Dusty one more veteran to use.

This would be a great pick up for the Sox. Remember the talk about the Cubs re-signing Randall Simon for next year and blocking Choi even more? If there's a veteran available, you can bet Dusty will be interested. With the Flubs losing Karros after this year (he's a FA, no?) Just tell him Konerko is like Karros -- as a matter of fact, he is Karros. Limited walks, high average, power ceiling of about 30 HR, first basemen, good with the media, overpaid, white, right-handed hitters.

poorme
10-08-2003, 01:13 PM
of course you'd jump all over that, but no way the cubs do that. jim hendry isn't stupid.

Rocky Soprano
10-08-2003, 01:18 PM
Konerko for Patterson, thats one I would do. :D:

Foulke You
10-08-2003, 01:36 PM
Choi would get eaten alive in the AL. Why is Choi for Konerko a good trade? I think all this Cubs postseason garbage is polluting people's minds. Trading a proven AL All-Star power hitter for an unproven lefty who didn't exactly light the world on fire in his playing time. Not to mention that Choi strikes out a lot. Konerko had one off year people! Who is to say that he isn't going to turn it around in '04 and have another year like '02? I'll take my chances with Konerko over a Cubs reject prospect any day. I know Konerko has a hefty contract but c'mon, you guys speak of Paulie like we should trade him for anyone who can hold a bat.

gosox41
10-08-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Choi would get eaten alive in the AL. Why is Choi for Konerko a good trade? I think all this Cubs postseason garbage is polluting people's minds. Trading a proven AL All-Star power hitter for an unproven lefty who didn't exactly light the world on fire in his playing time. Not to mention that Choi strikes out a lot. Konerko had one off year people! Who is to say that he isn't going to turn it around in '04 and have another year like '02? I'll take my chances with Konerko over a Cubs reject prospect any day. I know Konerko has a hefty contract but c'mon, you guys speak of Paulie like we should trade him for anyone who can hold a bat.

I think the idea would be to dump PK's overpriced salary on someone. Even when using his '02 numbers, he is highly overpaid. I would trade him for anyone who can hold a bat...or even a ball. PK is eating up too much salary that can be used to keep a productive player.

Bob

voodoochile
10-08-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You

Konerko also had one half season where he actually deserved to earn something close to the amount of money he will be paid these next two years. Get whatever you can for him and move that fat contract. If they can get Choi, that would be fine because it would free up $8M to sign pitching, CF or a SS.

inta
10-08-2003, 02:08 PM
maybe then sox fans would finally (deservedly) boo paulie.

MHOUSE
10-09-2003, 04:42 PM
I'd take Randall Simon over Choi. He doesn't walk much, but he also doesn't stirke out a lot. He always puts the ball in play and has a lot of power. But, he also manages to spray some hits around unlike many of the Sox hitters. I love his free-swinging style and he plays very good defense at first.

RichH55
10-09-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
I'd take Randall Simon over Choi. He doesn't walk much, but he also doesn't stirke out a lot. He always puts the ball in play and has a lot of power. But, he also manages to spray some hits around unlike many of the Sox hitters. I love his free-swinging style and he plays very good defense at first.

I'm not a big fan of Choi....but id take him in a second over Simon

Alot of power....cmon

RKMeibalane
10-09-2003, 07:22 PM
I don't want see Randall Simon on this team. The minute the trade was announced, those fools in the Chicago media would claim that the Sox were condoning Simon's behavior when he hit that girl in the sausage costume this past summer.

Besides, he's not that good. He's left-handed and has a long swing. The Sox used to have a player like that. His name was Jeff Liefer. Liefer was terrible, and Simon would be if he played on the South Side. The Cubs can keep him for the rest of his career as far as I'm concerned.

poorme
10-09-2003, 07:32 PM
simon is a decent player, but not someone you want to give 500 AB's. he hardly ever strikes out, so he's useful against nasty pitchers. a waaay better player than jeff leifer.

RichH55
10-09-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by poorme
simon is a decent player, but not someone you want to give 500 AB's. he hardly ever strikes out, so he's useful against nasty pitchers. a waaay better player than jeff leifer.

waaay better? I don't think Randall Simon is waaay better than anyone ever

Unless we are talking about swinging at and hitting bad pitches...and thats not really a trait I want the team picking up

poorme
10-09-2003, 07:58 PM
well, which would you rather have, a player with a lifetime .690 OPS or a lifetime .775 OPS?

RichH55
10-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by poorme
well, which would you rather have, a player with a lifetime .690 OPS or a lifetime .775 OPS?

At 1B? Ummmmm the guy I can package for a better player:)

soxwon
10-09-2003, 08:39 PM
ever see Simon and Aramis Ramirez- the FAT ASS BOOKENDS
not that i look at guys dubpas- butt you cant miss these freaks.

voodoochile
10-09-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
At 1B? Ummmmm the guy I can package for a better player:)

Exactly. Neither of those numbers is adequate for a 1B. Give the job to Frank and sign some old slugger to DH and you are in much better shape.

kingkirk04
10-11-2003, 02:36 AM
As a Cub fan, I will tell you that Choi is garbage. I was a big fan of him when he first came up, but his hitting philosophy totally changed. When he first came up, he walked to coincide with his hits, to produce a mammoth OBP for a rookie. In the second half of the season, the guy was taking walks for the hell of it, it seemed like. He's incredibly passive at the plate, not patient mind you, but passive, and can't pull a ball. His swing is incredibly looooong and has tons of holes in his swing, especially low and inside, which he seems to swing at everytime.

If the Cubs don't decide to keep Simon, who I am thrilled with (27 RBI in 39 games as a Cub), I hope Choi pans out, but at this point I think hes a bust. He might pull a Patterson and turn it around, but Patterson is also a lot younger than Hee Seop.

RichH55
10-11-2003, 02:28 PM
I have a buddy whose a Cub Fan....His biggest fear is that the team doesnt win, but still brings back all the old timers...just like last time, and hell just like 1945

Resigning Randall Simon isn't really in the best interests