PDA

View Full Version : Steve Lyons' Ozzie for manager comment


mrwag
10-08-2003, 08:44 AM
Did anyone else catch Steve Lyons' comment that Ozzie is possibly the leading candidate for the vacant Sox mgr. position? I wonder if he's been reading internet sites, or if he has some real knowledge.

I dunno, I liked Ozzie as a player, I'm just not sure how he'd do as a major league manager. I would, however, like to see him as Fisk's assistant manager :)

poorme
10-08-2003, 08:52 AM
it seems obvious that he's one of the serious candidates. why else would KW be waiting?

soxnut
10-08-2003, 09:01 AM
After the press conference last week. KW was interviewed by Damen Andrews. One of the thigs KW said is that he wnats to find someone who is as aggressive as he is. He also said that he couldn't talk to coaches who were still in the post- season. He also said that he has a very short list of candidates. Who does that leave you with???????................Ozzie Guillen.

I have no problem with this. He's enthusiastic, he knows the game and he is aggressive. I think that is what the Sox need.

JDP
10-08-2003, 09:04 AM
He also said that he couldn't talk to coaches who were still in the post- season. He also said that he has a very short list of candidates. Who does that leave you with???????................Ozzie Guillen.

Ozzie Guillen is a coach who is still in the playoffs. How does that leave us with Ozzie Guillen on the short list?

Huisj
10-08-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
He also said that he couldn't talk to coaches who were still in the post- season.

Wouldn't that mean KW hasn't talked to him yet? Isn't he still coaching with Florida, or did he go out with Torborg when he got fired?

poorme
10-08-2003, 09:14 AM
he is the marlins 3rd base coach. KW can't talk to him without the marlins consent. it would be in poor taste to ask while the team is still in the playoffs. guillen is practically begging for the job. you know he wouldn't cost much and he'd be ok with the existing sox coaches.

34 Inch Stick
10-08-2003, 09:33 AM
Bruce Levine reported that Ozzie is the leading contender and that he would bring Joey Cora in as a coach.

poorme
10-08-2003, 09:33 AM
OMG! joey cora made so many mental mistakes, that's just what we need.

wulfy
10-08-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Bruce Levine reported that Ozzie is the leading contender and that he would bring Joey Cora in as a coach.

And Tony Bernazard will be the new hitting coach.

Hangar18
10-08-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by mrwag
Did anyone else catch Steve Lyons' comment that Ozzie is possibly the leading candidate for the vacant Sox mgr. position? I wonder if he's been reading internet sites, or if he has some real knowledge.



Its Funny, when he was Talking about Ozzie as the Possible new SOX Mgr....... the Camera Panned to him in the dugout. Ozzie looked fairly serious, and for a moment, did strike me as A Serious Contender for the Job. If hes learning ANYTHING From McKeon, it couldnt be that bad. by the way
JACK McKEON FOR MANAGER OF THE YEAR. what a job that
guys doing

soxtalker
10-08-2003, 09:47 AM
A few nights ago, Chicago Tonight (on PBS Channel 11 in Chicago) got together many of the remaining members of the old Sportwriters' show. While the focus of the segment was clearly on the Cubs, they did move over into a discussion of the Sox. Several were absolutely delighted at the prospect of Ozzie coming back as manager.

Hangar18
10-08-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker
A few nights ago, Chicago Tonight (on PBS Channel 11 in Chicago) got together many of the remaining members of the old Sportwriters' show. While the focus of the segment was clearly on the Cubs, they did move over into a discussion of the Sox. Several were absolutely delighted at the prospect of Ozzie coming back as manager.

Which now begs the Question. Were the "Delighted" in a
"this guys going to be a great manager for the sox" kind of way,
or "this guys going to be great for us MediaTypes" kind of way ?

Knowing the Lazy Chicago Media, Im sure its the latter

wulfy
10-08-2003, 09:54 AM
Maybe I have this wrong - but I remember Ozzie as a guy who would drive his teammates nuts because he would never shut up - on the field, in the dugout, in the locker room, on the bus. He just chatted away all the time - and his teammates would just tune him out. Has this changed?

He just doesn't strike me as a guy who can be tough enough to get the Frank Thomas' of this team to toe the line. I hope I'm wrong.

poorme
10-08-2003, 10:06 AM
ozzie guillen was one of bill james' favorite players, despite the fact that he never walked. as opposed to what i've read here, he was fundamentally sound in the field and on the bases. he was asked to steal even though he had no speed.

soxtalker
10-08-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Which now begs the Question. Were the "Delighted" in a
"this guys going to be a great manager for the sox" kind of way,
or "this guys going to be great for us MediaTypes" kind of way ?

Knowing the Lazy Chicago Media, Im sure its the latter

I don't remember the details, but I think that it was more the latter -- Ozzie would be highly entertaining. I wouldn't take it too seriously. Many of these guys were retired or semi-retired from the writing. It was just an interesting comment. I remember trying to pick these guys up on the radio (WGN, Sunday afternoons or early evenings) when I was in school in Boston during the South Side hitman days.

kittle42
10-08-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by wulfy
And Tony Bernazard will be the new hitting coach.

Nah. Fred Manrique.

JRIG
10-08-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by wulfy
And Tony Bernazard will be the new hitting coach.

...and Craig Grebeck will be te new first base coach.


I'm against the Guillen For Manager campaign. I just don't think he is what the team needs. This lineup needs to be told to be patient at the plate, take pitches, and learn not to hit the ball on the ground with a man on first. I don't believe Guillen is the man for that job.

mandmandm
10-08-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by wulfy
And Tony Bernazard will be the new hitting coach.

And Dan Pasqua as the bong hitting coach..

TheRockinMT
10-08-2003, 10:51 AM
I don't think Steve Lyons has any inside information nor do any of the other FOX people. He probably just reads all the baseball news and knows that Guillen's name has been mentioned.

voodoochile
10-08-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by TheRockinMT
I don't think Steve Lyons has any inside information nor do any of the other FOX people. He probably just reads all the baseball news and knows that Guillen's name has been mentioned.

And he played with ozzie, so he is probably friendly with him.

Hangar18
10-08-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by TheRockinMT
I don't think Steve Lyons has any inside information nor do any of the other FOX people. He probably just reads all the baseball news and knows that Guillen's name has been mentioned.

Hmmm, he mustve studied under the Professor of Journalism,
Mike Golic. thats all that guy does,,,,,reads the newspapers
then Regurgitates the News for us. He sucks

idseer
10-08-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by JRIG
...and Craig Grebeck will be te new first base coach.


I'm against the Guillen For Manager campaign. I just don't think he is what the team needs. This lineup needs to be told to be patient at the plate, take pitches, and learn not to hit the ball on the ground with a man on first. I don't believe Guillen is the man for that job.

i'm not for or against guillen. i have no clue how he'd be as a manager. but i doubt very seriously he'd produce a team that never walked or did anything else the way he happened to play.
he'll have a hitting coach who presumably would try to dictate plate patience and everything else a good batter should have.
if this is your only reason for not wanting him it's a real weak reason.

Dadawg_77
10-08-2003, 11:06 AM
It sounded like Steve talked to Ozzie before the game. Maybe during the conversation the topic became the White Sox' job with Ozzie mentioning how he would love to have it. Steve being Ozzie's friend knowing Chicagoans are watching the game, talks up Ozzie during the game, trying to help his boy out.

mrwag
10-08-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
After the press conference last week. KW was interviewed by Damen Andrews. One of the thigs KW said is that he wnats to find someone who is as aggressive as he is. He also said that he couldn't talk to coaches who were still in the post- season. He also said that he has a very short list of candidates. Who does that leave you with???????................Ozzie Guillen.

Wouldn't Torre fall under this as well?

Lip Man 1
10-08-2003, 11:25 AM
I find it interesting that at the same time Steve is talking about Ozzie and that he's the leading candidate, the Tribune has come out with a story saying a White Sox source told them it's Cito Gaston, that in fact, Gaston' already been contacted and that there is a strong possibility that Ozzie will get the vacant 3rd base coaches job.

The Tribune story also stated that the A's have given permission to the Sox to speak with Terry Francona. That could be something to remember. The Sox had to ask for permission. They wouldn't have done that if they didn't consider Francona a serious potential candidate.

In other words folks, it's all a big guessing game. No one knows what's going on and that's exacetly the way Kenny Williams wants it.

TDog
10-08-2003, 11:26 AM
It's often former players you never heard of, or never noticed, that make the best managers. How they managed often has no correlation with how they played. When Larry Doby was managing for the Sox, Harry Caray used to complain that he was much more exciting as a player than a manager. Earlier in the 1970s, there was a groundswell of support for Maury Wills to get a managing job. Dave Baum, who I believe has returned to Chicago radio, did editorials on WIND demanding someone give Maury Wills a managing job. Maury Wills may have been the worst manager there ever was.

Of course, not many Sox fans had heard of Jerry Manuel before he came up for the Sox job. Considering Tony Pena's success this year, Sox fans can be excused for want a former player they have heard of.

Just because Ozzie Guillen got fooled by the hidden ball trick on more than one occasion, don't assume he would be outmanaged against Tampa Bay.

JoeyCora28
10-08-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by poorme
OMG! joey cora made so many mental mistakes, that's just what we need.

Hey, watchit!!!

Joey was the man!!!

MarkEdward
10-08-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
It sounded like Steve talked to Ozzie before the game. Maybe during the conversation the topic became the White Sox' job with Ozzie mentioning how he would love to have it. Steve being Ozzie's friend knowing Chicagoans are watching the game, talks up Ozzie during the game, trying to help his boy out.

I really don't think Lyons has any inside information. Here was his thinking: the Sox have a vacancy for manager. Ozzie Guillen is now a coach. Ozzie Guillen used to play for the White Sox. Therefore, he will probably be the new White Sox manager.

Also, if there's one thing I've learned from the 2003 playoffs, it's that Rick Sutcliffe and Steve Lyons are the two worst announcers in baseball. I take everything Lyons says with a grain of salt.

Back to the manger's topic: why not Davey Johnson? What's not to like about a career .564 winning percentage?

Jerko
10-08-2003, 01:38 PM
I don't want anybody who said "We don't owe anything to the fans" as the manager of my favorite baseball team.

JoeyCora28
10-08-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
I don't want anybody who said "We don't owe anything to the fans" as the manager of my favorite baseball team.

:reinsy

Sounds like my kinda guy... Kenny, get Davey Johnson on the phone, now!!!!

firejauron
10-08-2003, 02:01 PM
I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, but does Carlton Fisk have any chance at getting the job? Does anyone know if the White Sox would be willing to hire Pudge? Or would Fisk even be interested?

pudge
10-08-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by firejauron
I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, but does Carlton Fisk have any chance at getting the job? Does anyone know if the White Sox would be willing to hire Pudge? Or would Fisk even be interested?

Pudge has not shown a lot of interest yet... he has been quoted as saying it's a huge commitment that he's not sure he's ready to make... I'd say this is highly doubtful at this time... plus, he would be under a ton of pressure to win, and I'm not sure how he'd handle that... He does not have a very outgoing personality... I personally think Guillen could be great, but I understand everyone's concern with a rookie manager... I think it depends on what kind of team we have next year... Do we have Colon, Alomar, Everett, etc etc? Or do we have a bunch of younger guys in the lineup? If it's a young team, might as well go with Ozzie...

valposoxfan
10-08-2003, 02:29 PM
You all know how I feel already. I WANT OZZIE. He fiery guys. I think he would be damn good for this team. I just have a feeling about it. He knows baseball and he knows how to win. He loves baseball. He will bring passion. I really think given the chance, he could make a difference.

longshot7
10-08-2003, 03:54 PM
how bout Karkovice for baserunning coach?

truthfully, Davey Johnson was goddawful with the Dodgers - they were THE most boring team I'd ever seen - and with Kevin Brown, Gary Sheffield, & Shawn Green, that's saying something.

jortafan
10-08-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
And he played with ozzie, so he is probably friendly with him.

Actually, if you've ever read Lyons' biography, he trashes Ozzie. They didn't get along at all as ballplayers, although their distaste for each other does mellow a bit toward the end.

poorme
10-08-2003, 05:49 PM
steve lyons has a biography? why?

1951Campbell
10-08-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by TheRockinMT
I don't think Steve Lyons has any inside information nor do any of the other FOX people. He probably just reads all the baseball news and knows that Guillen's name has been mentioned.

Psycho said he talked to Ozzie earlier that day.

soxnut
10-09-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by JDP
He also said that he couldn't talk to coaches who were still in the post- season. He also said that he has a very short list of candidates. Who does that leave you with???????................Ozzie Guillen.

Ozzie Guillen is a coach who is still in the playoffs. How does that leave us with Ozzie Guillen on the short list?

What I meant was...........that KW has a short list of coaches he wants to talk to, from teams in the playoffs, he would have to wait to talk to the guy he wants after his team was out of the playoffs, or after the World Series...........he wants someone who he feels has an aggressive style..........Ozzie Guillen....................does how I am expressing it now, :?: make sense????????? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

ajorb11
10-09-2003, 12:34 AM
If the sox need a new bench coach, I think that they should bring back Jeff Liefer. He got enough Practice sitting on the Bench when he was player. I'm still campaining for Tony G, Player-Manager.

dllrbll7
10-09-2003, 12:49 AM
Anyone see Ozzie on the bench today joking around? He was havin a real good time and i think that would really add chemistry to the team if the coach can participate in the fun instead of gahndi keepin his mouth shut and sittin at the end of the bench

alohafri
10-09-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by poorme
. you know he wouldn't cost much

And isn't this always key for the Chairman?
:angry:

alohafri
10-09-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Bruce Levine reported that Ozzie is the leading contender and that he would bring Joey Cora in as a coach.

Oh good! This is the news I wanted to hear before I wasted another 20 bucks betting on the Sox on my next Vegas trip.

Look out Detroit! Here we come!