PDA

View Full Version : Wasn't it nice?

Jerko
10-08-2003, 09:40 AM
I am not just saying this because the Cubs lost, but wasn't it nice to see an AGGRESSIVE team with SPEED and people that could run and play d and all that fun stuff? I just wish this happened last year for the Marlins because it would have shown KW that you CAN fire a manager DURING THE SEASON and not have catastrophic results.

woodenleg
10-08-2003, 09:49 AM
I am so jealous of those studs. Made the whole thing worth watching.

:gulp:

FoulkeFan
10-08-2003, 09:51 AM
I was thinking the same thing last night. I started out just watching and hoping that the Cubs would lose, but ended up really rooting for the Marlins. I felt the same way watching those last couple of games that they played with the Giants. They're fun to watch and win or lose, I think they'll make this series exciting. Makes me wish the Sox had just a little bit of speed & defense, instead of a team full of DH's.

poorme
10-08-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by FoulkeFan
Makes me wish the Sox had just a little bit of speed & defense, instead of a team full of DH's. [/B]

me too.

Jerko
10-08-2003, 10:00 AM
I know I started this by saying it was nice to watch the Marlins play, but let me go to the other end of the spectrum now: Isn't it sad that the Florida Marlins, as an expansion team, have recently WON the World Series, had a fire sale and got rid of all their good players, and are BACK in the LCS already in the span of what, 6 years? And our "Original American League Team" has not won a postseason series in what, 44 years now? So as nice a story as the Marlins are, it's kind of infuriating to see them do so well so fast, while the more 'established' francise, the Sox, stagger aimlessly along.

Dadawg_77
10-08-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Jerko
I am not just saying this because the Cubs lost, but wasn't it nice to see an AGGRESSIVE team with SPEED and people that could run and play d and all that fun stuff? I just wish this happened last year for the Marlins because it would have shown KW that you CAN fire a manager DURING THE SEASON and not have catastrophic results.

One of the best things McKeon did for the team was to cut down on stupid aggressivness which cost the Marlin games earlier in the year.

Vsahajpal
10-08-2003, 10:04 AM
Speed and Defense? Pierre misplayed a ball into a triple, Conine flubbed one, so did the shortstop (though he made two terrific plays); as for their running game, Pierre was thrown out early and they didn't run until the 7th and 8th inning with Castillo; neither stolen base amounted to a run. They won because they mashed the hell out of the ball. 8 extra-base hits, including 4 HR, was the reason they won.

SoxFan78
10-08-2003, 10:06 AM
What a great game last night. Gave me goosebumps. Glad to see that the flubs went down, but they are still making excuses. I was listening to Murph and Fred this morning and they were complaining about Lowell's homerun in the 11th. They were saying that if the basket wasn't there it would of not been gone. They said since people weren't sitting in CF that there should be no basket. COME ON! When any Flub hit a home run there, I didn't hear any complaining. Suck it up!

Love the page!

GO MARLINS!!

Dadawg_77
10-08-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Speed and Defense? Pierre misplayed a ball into a triple, Conine flubbed one, so did the shortstop (though he made two terrific plays); as for their running game, Pierre was thrown out early and they didn't run until the 7th and 8th inning with Castillo; neither stolen base amounted to a run. They won because they mashed the hell out of the ball. 8 extra-base hits, including 4 HR, was the reason they won.

Hey not to mention Castillo's last steal was a stupid play. Since he left first base open, the happily deposited IRod over there to face a struggling Lee. As runner you shouldn't take the bat out of your best hitters hands.

poorme
10-08-2003, 10:18 AM
the odds of scoring are greater with a man on second and lee up than a man on first and irod up.

Hangar18
10-08-2003, 10:19 AM
It was Excellent, because the CUBs lost. But yeah,
reminded me of the SOX of the early 90's. Before we fall in love with that team though,,,,,,remember how we didnt have that much POWER ? and it cost us in certain games?

34 Inch Stick
10-08-2003, 10:38 AM
7 home runs, 2 errors, 4 runs scored in the 9th inning versus "closers". If you thought yesterday was nice you should have been out to the Joan this year.

Hangar18
10-08-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

Good Point. The game was closer than it shouldve been .....

Jerko
I'm not saying the Marlins are perfect, and every team makes errors, but yes, there were 2 great defensive plays that helped them win. Sosa hit a shot that would have put the Cubs in the lead, and Alou got forced at second on a great play. Also the scoop by Lee on the first ball that went to Lowell in the last inning was nice too. Yes, Pierre screwed up, and yes, they got caught stealing a few times, but at least they force the other team to think about it and throw over to first a few times. Not like our White Sox who when they get a guy on first he just stands there until the guy behind him either strikes out, hits the ball to short, or homers. At least they keep the other team's pitchers on his toes and gives him something to worry about.

Procol Harum
I know I started this by saying it was nice to watch the Marlins play, but let me go to the other end of the spectrum now: Isn't it sad that the Florida Marlins, as an expansion team, have recently WON the World Series, had a fire sale and got rid of all their good players, and are BACK in the LCS already in the span of what, 6 years? And our "Original American League Team" has not won a postseason series in what, 44 years now? So as nice a story as the Marlins are, it's kind of infuriating to see them do so well so fast, while the more 'established' francise, the Sox, stagger aimlessly along.

You bet your biscuits it's sad. That said, it was plain to see that the Fish are a team with not only speed, defense and youth but with some cajones. This last accoutrement something which the Braves--and a certain team on Chicago's South Side--certainly do not possess.

JRIG
10-08-2003, 10:46 AM

The Marlins won the game because they hit 4 home runs. No amount of speed and defense can make up for the fact that 6 of their 9 runs came via the long ball. Speed and defense are nice to talk about but you can't win unless you outscore your opponent. All the Marlins defense still resulted in EIGHT runs being scored by the Cubs.

Dadawg_77
10-08-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by poorme
the odds of scoring are greater with a man on second and lee up than a man on first and irod up.

But there is a good amount of risk Castillo would have been thrown out. When factor that into, it becomes a bad play gone right.

kraut83
10-08-2003, 11:03 AM
A few mental lapses aside, it was just great watching a team that actually looked like they wanted to be there. They could have just as easily rolled over on a couple of occasions, but did what they needed to win. As clutch as Corky and his crew were at times last night, the fish always had an answer. I've got a good feeling about the rest of this series!

alohafri
10-08-2003, 12:09 PM
I watched little bits and pieces of the game and was impressed by the Marlins. I think the scrubs had them written off right away, as if they were an annoyance that they could just swat away.

But the Marlins are "pesky flies" and they don't seem resigned to losing like the Braves seemed to be.

My (scrub fan) boss told someone today that the scrubs would take the next two games and he wasn't worried in the least. I hope the scrubs themselves have that same attitude.

GO MARLINS!!!!!!!

-Mrs. Aloha

cheeses_h_rice
10-08-2003, 12:14 PM
The sense I'm getting is that Flub fans think the Flubs are just somehow "entitled" to a World Series berth, simply by virtue of their history of losing and the fact that they draw more fans than the Marlins do.

If I hear the phrase "good for baseball" one more time in connection with the Flubs advancing, I think I will chunder.

Last time I checked, it was the team that won 4 of 7 that advanced.

34 Inch Stick
10-08-2003, 12:28 PM
I think Cubs fans have got to be a little upset today knowing that they cannot win without Prior or Wood pitching. Prior is automatic but you never know when Wood's control is going to get him into trouble.

Jerko
10-08-2003, 12:28 PM
"It was a tough play; I wasn't sure,'' he said. "I knew I didn't have control, but then I tried to tag him. Then I didn't have control again. I was probably a little too aggressive, but with those speedsters out there, you have to try something.''

That was what Grudzelainek said about the disputed play on the base paths. That is what I was trying to point out when I started this thread; even though a few guys got caught stealing, the overall team speed of the Marlins was in the back of the Cubs heads all night. The Sox do not pose that kind of problem for other teams. The Sox get a guy on and all the opposing pitcher has to worry about is getting the next guy up to hit a grounder.

washington
10-08-2003, 12:47 PM
The best part of the game to me was the fact that Mike Lowell won it for the Fighting Fish. After all the news stories in June and July about how he should be traded to the Cubs because the Marlins weren't going anywhere and making the Cubs better was "good for baseball."

I just wish Rodriguez grabbed Sosa's bat after his HR and asked the umpires to check it for cork.

FarWestChicago
10-08-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by washington
I just wish Rodriguez grabbed Sosa's bat after his HR and asked the umpires to check it for cork. :nandrolone

Go ahead, check my bat. My September vitamin cycle and the batting practice pitch from Urbina were my best friends last night.

voodoochile
10-08-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by washington
The best part of the game to me was the fact that Mike Lowell won it for the Fighting Fish. After all the news stories in June and July about how he should be traded to the Cubs because the Marlins weren't going anywhere and making the Cubs better was "good for baseball."

I just wish Rodriguez grabbed Sosa's bat after his HR and asked the umpires to check it for cork.

It was a different bat than he used the rest of the game that's for sure.