PDA

View Full Version : Prior on the Sox

anotherDCsoxfan
10-08-2003, 09:29 AM
I had the honor of attending the University of Southern California at the same time as Mark Prior. At the time, USC coach Mike Gillespie said Prior was better at that stage in his career than Tom Seaver.

So you can imagine the pain I felt when the Cubs made Prior the second pick of the 2001 draft.

Background aside, USC's student paper, the Daily Trojan, recently interviewed Prior and asked him to do a few word associations, including:

"DT: White Sox.
Little brother of the Cubs"

That would be bulletin board material if it were in a bigger paper!

Prior also talks about White Sox fans in the article.

http://www.dailytrojan.com/article.do?issue=/V150/N30&id=01-prior.30s.html

LuvSox
10-08-2003, 09:32 AM
He's got a real big mouth for someone who hasn't been around long.

woodenleg
10-08-2003, 09:51 AM
Like I always say - just like Cain and Abel.

Prior doesn't bug me, though.

Hangar18
10-08-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by LuvSox
He's got a real big mouth for someone who hasn't been around long.

Why do you think I call him the Best AAA Player around
(Arrogant Amateur Athlete) I like that hes talking Smack,
at least he can back it up

Huisj
10-08-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Why do you think I call him the Best AAA Player around
(Arrogant Amateur Athlete) I like that hes talking Smack,
at least he can back it up

He really does seem like a whiner though.

I hate his socks too. make his calves look fat. he looks like a little weenie trying to look tough out there with his prissy little haircut and perfect sideburns peaking out from under his hat and the put on mad look on his face.

he seems like a robot programmed to be a cub.

CLR01
10-08-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Huisj

I hate his socks too. make his calves look fat. he looks like a little weenie trying to look tough out there with his prissy little haircut and perfect sideburns peaking out from under his hat and the put on mad look on his face.

he seems like a robot programmed to be a cub.

I wish we had that robot with the prissy little haircut and perfect sideburns.

Instead we have :wright

Hangar18
10-08-2003, 10:30 AM

Now that you mention it.......He does strike me as one of those Weenie Pretty Boys who Really wants to be a Tough Guy. The Typical JOCK in High School who suddenly dons a Leather Jacket
so Everyone can think hes cool all of a sudden. Something about a guy who Wears Blue Panty Hose that I cant take
Seriously ........

thepaulbowski
10-08-2003, 10:42 AM
Now that you mention it.......He does strike me as one of those Weenie Pretty Boys who Really wants to be a Tough Guy. The Typical JOCK in High School who suddenly dons a Leather Jacket
so Everyone can think hes cool all of a sudden.

Hey...Leave me out of this :D:

Hangar18
10-08-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
Hey...Leave me out of this :D:

hehh heh. I went thru that phase myself hehheh. But at
least I was a musician, so it kind of worked. And I didnt wear
Panty Hose

chosk8
10-08-2003, 10:53 AM
DT: What is the best thing about playing for the Cubs?

The fans. They are simply the greatest around.

DT: What do you hate the most about the Braves?

Mark Prior: The annoying chant they do after every hit they get no matter if it is important or not.

Two asinine statements. "The annoying chant they do after every hit they get no matter if it is important or not", as opposed to the annoying cheers the 'greatest fans around' give to you or any other pitcher after every single strike.

Yeah he's good, no doubt about it, but he has a lot to learn.

LuvSox
10-08-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by chosk8
Yeah he's good, no doubt about it, but he has a lot to learn.

He needs a beating thrown his way.

TDog
10-08-2003, 12:42 PM

I think that would be good for baseball.

ewokpelts
10-08-2003, 12:43 PM
hehh heh. I went thru that phase myself hehheh. But at
least I was a musician, so it kind of worked. And I didnt wear
Panty Hose

then I guess you were never into motley crüe then...eh?

Hangar18
10-08-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
then I guess you were never into motley crüe then...eh?

yeah. definitely was. but then Metallica and Megadeth
happened. I was a changed man (musically anyway)

ozzman
10-08-2003, 12:59 PM
Let's hope steve kline sees mr prior in a dark alley :smile:

flo-B-flo
10-08-2003, 01:00 PM
Most times arrogance is a bad thing. In Priors case it is not. As Ali said "it ain't braggin' if you back it up". I long for the Sox to have a pitcher who woofs at other teams because he KNOWS he can beat them and they can't hit him. Prior TELLS the Cardinals they can't beat him. Our best guy tells the Cards he wants to play for them.

GoSox2K3
10-08-2003, 02:27 PM
He called Sox fans the "craziest" fans. I dunno, that sounds like a compliment to me.

It's not like he said we were the worst fans (he gave that distinction to Florida).

Foulke You
10-08-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
He called Sox fans the "craziest" fans. I dunno, that sounds like a compliment to me.

It's not like he said we were the worst fans (he gave that distinction to Florida).

I kind've took "craziest" to implicate the fans running on the field incidents. One of which was perpetrated by one of the "greatest fans" of the Cubs. I don't think he meant it as a compliment.

Side Note: Little Brother of the Cubs is 1W-0L versus Prior and Big Frank took him yard so shut your pie hole Mark until you beat us. Now I REALLY want him to get lit up tonight by the Fish.

Procol Harum
10-08-2003, 02:52 PM

Tonight would make for a nice platform for that--about 9 earned runs in 2-2/3rds innings-worth.

longshot7
10-08-2003, 03:00 PM
Ah, the Daily Trojan, that bastion of journalism. They conducted this interview thru webchat - boy, that's a good way to get a story. How do they know it was him?

I can dish it - I'm a former DT reporter...

harwar
10-08-2003, 03:09 PM
Say what you want about Prior,the guy is going to be the most dominant pitcher in baseball for years to come,and i wish we had him.
As for leather jackets,when i was in high schooll you had to fight for the right to wear one(cabretta).If you had one on,anyone could challenge you and you had to fight the guy to keep it.Its strange though,i don't remember any jocks wearing them.

Hangar18
10-08-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3

I took it as a Compliment. He even got it right "south siders"

bc2k
10-08-2003, 03:31 PM
When will Prior become a free agent? I'm not sure on the rules on MLB, but were the Cubs able to sneak another year of Prior with the Cubs by not letting him pitch enough in 2002?

What is that rule? Is it innings or time with the team?

MetalliSox
10-08-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
When will Prior become a free agent? I'm not sure on the rules on MLB, but were the Cubs able to sneak another year of Prior with the Cubs by not letting him pitch enough in 2002?

Pretty sure they have him for at least 4 more years after this one. Unless he signed a contract longer then the 6 years a draft pick has to stay with the original club contractually.

Clarkdog
10-08-2003, 04:03 PM

Prior's contract is interesting and shows he is no dope when it comes to knowing the value of his talent and how the financial system in baseball works.

Mark Prior - 5 years/$10.5M
2002: $0.25M (+$4.0M signing bonus)
2003: $0.65M
2004: $1.6M
2005: $2.0M
2006: $2.0M
-If eligible, he can void deal after 2004 and opt for salary arbitration
-Salary escalates $0.5M each year for ROTY, Cy Young and All-Star game

First, he signed a major league deal right out of school - to mean that his service time to the Cubs began the minute he put on an Iowa Cubs uniform. Prior was not going to allow himself to toil in the minors for long. It was in the Cubs best interest to get him to the majors ASAP to take advantage of the ticking clock.

Second, his deal is voidable after the 2004 season - if he is eligable - (which he should be) for arbitration. So he can effectively double the size of the contract through arbitration. Here is his deal:

Here is where Prior's money will likely end up:

2003: $1.15M (All Star or Cy Young)
2004: $2.1M (All Star or Cy Young)
2005: $6.5M (Arbitration $ - similar to Wood + All Star or Cy)
2006: $9.5M (Arbitration $ - similar to Wood + All Star of Cy)
Total: $23.5M

I am no expert on how service time is measured - ESPN lists Prior as having 2 years.

bc2k
10-08-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Clarkdog
Prior's contract is interesting and shows he is no dope when it comes to knowing the value of his talent and how the financial system in baseball works.

First, he signed a major league deal right out of school - to mean that his service time to the Cubs began the minute he put on an Iowa Cubs uniform. Prior was not going to allow himself to toil in the minors for long. It was in the Cubs best interest to get him to the majors ASAP to take advantage of the ticking clock.

Second, his deal is voidable after the 2004 season - if he is eligable - (which he should be) for arbitration. So he can effectively double the size of the contract through arbitration. Here is his deal:

I am no expert on how service time is measured - ESPN lists Prior as having 2 years.

Thank you much Clarkdog. Information laid out nicely.

MRKARNO
10-08-2003, 05:10 PM
I really hope some pitcher has the guts to knock Prior and Wood down soon. It's so annoying how they dish it and dont respond. If I were a pitcher against Prior in the playoffs I'd throw at Prior's head at the risk of getting tossed.

anotherDCsoxfan
10-08-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by CLR01
I wish we had that robot with the prissy little haircut and perfect sideburns.

Instead we have :wright

Interesting side note: Jon Garland would have been in the same USC graduating class as Prior had he not skipped college to accept an offer from the Flubs. Seems like we got the worse end of that one!

Vsahajpal
10-08-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by anotherDCsoxfan
Interesting side note: Jon Garland would have been in the same USC graduating class as Prior had he not skipped college to accept an offer from the Flubs. Seems like we got the worse end of that one!

He'd have been a year ahead of Prior if he went to SC.

rmusacch
10-08-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Clarkdog

Are you sure about the part of his major league clock started ticking the minute he put on a Iowa Cubs uni? I don't think that is the case.

DrCrawdad
10-08-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
He'd have been a year ahead of Prior if he went to SC.

http://www.encuentro2000.org/slap.jpg

Vsahajpal
10-09-2003, 12:02 AM

He's a Cub through 2008.

Hangar18
10-09-2003, 08:30 AM
He's a Cub through 2008.

Are you sure about this? I thought The Messiah was Signed
to a 5 yr Deal, which would put his Last year as a Cub in 2006
at which point, not only will he still be the Most Arrogant Athlete
on the planet, he Will Become the RICHEST PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE.....
....EVER.

Vsahajpal
10-09-2003, 08:57 AM

Yes I'm sure.

Hangar18
10-09-2003, 09:02 AM
Yes I'm sure.

...so your saying it was a 7 yr deal he signed?
Why was the the "5 Year Deal" thrown around? Somethings
not Jiving Right Here. What I knew, was The Messiah Wanted
$10,000,000 bucks (In small, unmarked bills) and the Cubs made it a 5 Yr Deal.
Does it mean when he actually BECAME a Cub? even if thats the case, wasnt he Called to Save Them in May of Last year?

Vsahajpal
10-09-2003, 09:13 AM
For a player to qualify as a major league free agent, he must have at least six full years of major league service.

Hangar18
10-09-2003, 09:16 AM
For a player to qualify as a major league free agent, he must have at least six full years of major league service.

aha. Ok, help me define "full years". The Messiah arrived in May and stayed the whole season. Theyre not counting that as a Year then? also....wont the cubs have to give him some type of "extension" before 2008?

Vsahajpal
10-09-2003, 09:39 AM
Does the season begin May 21st? I don't think so. Therefore he's a free agent after the 2008 season.

poorme
10-09-2003, 09:45 AM
it doesn't have to be a 100% full season. they do some sort of calculations that i haven't investigated. that way you can't bring a player up 2 days into the season just to screw him out of a year of free agency. i don't even try to learn these things as there are so many exceptions. i don't know if the # days on the active roster are summed over the years or what.

Hangar18
10-09-2003, 09:59 AM
Does the season begin May 21st? I don't think so. Therefore he's a free agent after the 2008 season.

Take It Easy Brother, those are pretty good Questions.
No need for Venom

Hangar18
10-09-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by poorme
it doesn't have to be a 100% full season. they do some sort of calculations that i haven't investigated. that way you can't bring a player up 2 days into the season just to screw him out of a year of free agency. i don't even try to learn these things as there are so many exceptions. i don't know if the # days on the active roster are summed over the years or what.

Thanks. That was the ANSWER Vsjpal was kind Enough
To Not Give me. this makes sense now, teams will do that
to screw players around.

Vsahajpal
10-09-2003, 10:03 AM

It is the 1st day of the season. Kerry Wood made his major league debut April 12th, 1998. Had he been recalled on April 1, he'd be a free agent after this year ends. Instead, he will be granted FA after 2004.

Hangar18
10-09-2003, 10:08 AM
It is the 1st day of the season. Kerry Wood made his major league debut April 12th, 1998. Had he been recalled on April 1, he'd be a free agent after this year ends. Instead, he will be granted FA after 2004.

I think PoorMe got the Answer for us. Thanks for Playing though

Vsahajpal
10-09-2003, 10:17 AM
lol, you crack me up, man. Prior's a free agent after 2008, I'm sorry that hurts you, but it ain't my fault.

As for service time, it is what it is. A FULL season.

Hangar18
10-09-2003, 10:20 AM
lol, you crack me up, man. Prior's a free agent after 2008, I'm sorry that hurts you, but it ain't my fault.

As for service time, it is what it is. A FULL season.

Im not blaming you for Priors contract status, but I would blame you for not helping me with the Answer I was looking for....
which what was considered/regarded Service Time. I took it as you being a Jerk.

Vsahajpal
10-09-2003, 10:26 AM
The fact is I told you, it's not my fault you don't comprehend English. I said free agency is granted after 6 FULL years of service time. Why is that difficult to understand? I said Prior's a free agent after 2008, you questioned that, I assured you he was, you questioned that, I gave you the rule, you questioned THAT! I don't know what you want me to do. Define Full? I thought that was patently obvious. A full season is what it is.

poorme
10-09-2003, 10:27 AM
well, don't go betting the house on what i said. i'm pretty sure you can't call up a minor leaguer on day #2 of the season just to screw him. that may have been discussed in the latest bargaining round. i may be wrong. but if not, why would a team EVER have a rookie on the opening day roster?

Hangar18
10-09-2003, 10:39 AM
The fact is I told you, it's not my fault you don't comprehend English. I said free agency is granted after 6 FULL years of service time. Why is that difficult to understand? I said Prior's a free agent after 2008, you questioned that, I assured you he was, you questioned that, I gave you the rule, you questioned THAT! I don't know what you want me to do. Define Full? I thought that was patently obvious. A full season is what it is.

whatever man, I asked you to define FULL, your response was a quip of some sort. My grasp of the English Language isnt the subject. You Finally DID clarify the answer when someone else, PoorMe, asked in a roundabout way. which led me to believe
you were just being a Jerk about it. Thats ok. I asked nicely
was the whole point. I'll just have other Posters ask you questions on my Behalf.

Vsahajpal
10-09-2003, 10:57 AM
well, don't go betting the house on what i said. i'm pretty sure you can't call up a minor leaguer on day #2 of the season just to screw him. that may have been discussed in the latest bargaining round. i may be wrong.

Actually you can. If Wood, for example, was the opening day starter in 1998, then that year would've counted in full. So 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, and 03 would grant him his 6 years. However, he was called up on the 12th, so his first full season was from 4-12-98 to 4-12-99, and his second was from 4-12-99 to 4-12-00. He *technically* reaches his 6th full season 4-12-04, but obviously he can't just declare free agency in the midst of the season so he finishes out the year.

but if not, why would a team EVER have a rookie on the opening day roster?

I think for the most part, they may already have service time so it isn't that much of a difference. For example, if a team is out of the race, they may decide it is worth bringing up some promising kids to take their lumps at the big league level. They can evaluate them at the majors and decide what direction they'll go in from there, rather than throwing them into the fire next April when all is still left to play for. That's usually the case with rookies on the opening day roster, their team's management has decided they can definitely cut it and their service time has already begun so put the best team on the field.

One key point though is that if they decide they can't cut it, they may send the kids back to the minors, and their service time clock stops. Thus 6 FULL seasons of service time is needed.

Hangar18
10-09-2003, 10:59 AM
Now that I finally got the answer to that question (thanks vic) heres another one. Can the owners actually do that?
Cheat players out of service time? Wasnt this part of a big
Fiasco previously between the Owners and Players in 1994?
thanks for your help......

voodoochile
10-09-2003, 11:25 AM
at which point, not only will he still be the Most Arrogant Athlete
on the planet, he Will Become the RICHEST PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE.....
....EVER.

Interesting. You think he will get a larger contract than ARod ($250M)? More money than Jordan did on a yearly basis ($37M his final year)?

I would be very surprised if the numbers went that high. Of course first he has to get there while continuing to improve and stay healthy.

voodoochile
10-09-2003, 11:30 AM
One key point though is that if they decide they can't cut it, they may send the kids back to the minors, and their service time clock stops. Thus 6 FULL seasons of service time is needed.

Really? I thought it was 6 years from the day they first set foot on a major legue field regardless of where they are playing when the 6 years is up. Learn something new every day...

Vsahajpal
10-09-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Interesting. You think he will get a larger contract than ARod ($250M)? More money than Jordan did on a yearly basis ($37M his final year)?

I would be very surprised if the numbers went that high. Of course first he has to get there while continuing to improve and stay healthy.

There was an article in the Southtown about Prior's future worth, I'm not sure if he he wrote the last line in jest, though. I guess I would agree with you, VC. I just don't see how the length of his contract would allow the monetary aspect to approach $250 MM.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/arvia/x03-ard1.htm

Heh, after reading it again, I wish I had posted this earlier and just ended all doubt:

Considering Maddux had turned down a $27.5 million, five-year offer from the Cubs in 1992, and his teammate Mike Hampton had turned down a $105 million, seven-year offer from the Cubs after the 2000 season, I wondered how much Mark Prior would be in a position to turn down following the 2008 season, when he becomes a free agent.

alohafri
10-09-2003, 02:17 PM

I hate his socks too. make his calves look fat.

A guy I teach with compares his calves to Hillary Clinton.

Procol Harum
10-09-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by alohafri
A guy I teach with compares his calves to Hillary Clinton.

Whoa!! Bad mental picture there! Of course, we all remember that Hillary is really a Yankee fan so the navy blue would have a slimming effect in her case. :D:

qpalzm
10-10-2003, 06:52 AM
From the CBA:

Following the completion of the term of his Uniform Player’s
Contract, any Player with 6 or more years of Major League service
who has not executed a contract for the next succeeding season shall
be eligible to become a free agent

Definition of Major League service:

One full day of Major League service will be credited for
each day of the championship season a Player is on a Major League
Club’s Active List. A total of 172 days of Major League credited
service will constitute one full year of credited service. A Player
may not be credited with more than one year of credited service, 172
days, in one championship season.

A player's FULL year may span as many seasons as necessary until he reaches 172 days on the roster.

Basically, Prior will be a FA after 2008. He may choose to become a free agent if he is assigned to the minors after 3 years of ML service. (May, 2005)

poorme
10-10-2003, 09:34 AM
this is interesting because there were 181 days between the first and last day of the season.