PDA

View Full Version : Is this Cito Gaston thing for real?

lowesox
10-07-2003, 10:40 PM
Would Williams be stupid enough to hire another lame-duck, no-intensity, live off the talent of his team kind of manager? Because that's what Cito is.

He has all of Manuel's bad qualities except he doesn't tinker - in fact, he doesn't do anything. At least Manuel tried to be a difference maker.

And Cito doesn't have the one thing I loved about Manuel - class. Does anybody remember when he complained that he was being left off the all-star coaching staff because the decision makers were racist? He's a whiner and a terrible coach.

If he's chosen as the next manager I really don't know what I'll do. What are the rest of you thinking about the trib naming him the current 'favourite'?

kittle42
10-07-2003, 10:44 PM
Better than some schlep I've never heard of, I suppose.

voodoochile
10-07-2003, 11:08 PM
Would the Sox listen to him? Would he go with a mostly set lineup? Would he use the bullpen and starters properly? Can he get the team to play with intensity on a daily basis?

He has two rings, so anyone who wouldn't play hard for him shouldn't be on the team anyway, IMO.

siugrad25
10-08-2003, 01:22 AM
Once my paper gets its story up on the Web, I'll post the direct link, but we ran a story about the Mets trying to link Don Baylor with the White Sox opening... I haven't had a chance to read the full story because of how busy it's been with the Marlins, but I almost fell out of my chair when I heard someone mention even the thought of Baylor as the next manager... As of 2:15 a.m. it hasn't posted it, but our Website at the Stuart News is TCPalm.com...

Lip Man 1
10-08-2003, 11:45 AM
To answer your question yes. The Tribune has a story Wednesday morning stating that the Sox have already contacted him.

Lip

gosox41
10-08-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
To answer your question yes. The Tribune has a story Wednesday morning stating that the Sox have already contacted him.

Lip

I assume you mean the Sox have contracted Gaston. Baylor would be a bad choice.

Bob

dan
10-08-2003, 02:25 PM
Cito may be mindless, but you really can't argue with results. After all, it's hard to believe that a manager who won the world series twice isn't managing this year! Hire Fisk!

lowesox
10-08-2003, 09:32 PM
Cito has won two World Series rings, but the talent on those teams was unbelievable. I lived in Toronto and saw it all - everybody there would tell you he's the worst manager. What other manager has fans calling for his head right after he's won a world series?

Believe me everybody - he's an awful manager. If the sox hire him, you'll all wish they hadn't.

voodoochile
10-08-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Cito has won two World Series rings, but the talent on those teams was unbelievable. I lived in Toronto and saw it all - everybody there would tell you he's the worst manager. What other manager has fans calling for his head right after he's won a world series?

Believe me everybody - he's an awful manager. If the sox hire him, you'll all wish they hadn't.

IMO, any team that wins the WS must at least have great talent. Cito at least didn't cost them the wins. No one wins with subpar talent and Cito managed to get the team their and win it not once, but twice.

RKMeibalane
10-08-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
IMO, any team that wins the WS must at least have great talent. Cito at least didn't cost them the wins. No one wins with subpar talent and Cito managed to get the team their and win it not once, but twice.

I think people assume that anyone can win if his team is talented enough. Jerry Manuel proved that isn't the case with the way he botched everything up this season. I would imagine that Gaston is a better manager than some are willing to admit, primarilly because those Toronto teams were so talented. Sometimes a good manager is overshadowed by the success of his team.

Looking at it from another angle, Gaston has experience working with talented players. That alone is a good reason to hire him, IMO. One of the biggest problems I had with Jerry Manuel was that he didn't know to handle gifted players. We saw him misuse Frank Thomas, Mark Buehrle, and Jon Garland this past season. His antics regarding Thomas and first base have been well-documented.

I think that Gaston will have a better idea of how to deal with some of the players on this team, which should make things better for next season.

voodoochile
10-08-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I think people assume that anyone can win if his team is talented enough. Jerry Manuel proved that isn't the case with the way he botched everything up this season. I would imagine that Gaston is a better manager than some are willing to admit, primarilly because those Toronto teams were so talented. Sometimes a good manager is overshadowed by the success of his team.

Looking at it from another angle, Gaston has experience working with talented players. That alone is a good reason to hire him, IMO. One of the biggest problems I had with Jerry Manuel was that he didn't know to handle gifted players. We saw him misuse Frank Thomas, Mark Buehrle, and Jon Garland this past season. His antics regarding Thomas and first base have been well-documented.

I think that Gaston will have a better idea of how to deal with some of the players on this team, which should make things better for next season.

Reminds me of the Red Auerbach/Phil Jackson feud in which Auerbach said, "Jackson isn't a great coach, because he can only coach great players."

Wooden from UCLA retorted: "Ask Red how many championships he won before he got Bill Russell."