View Full Version : An Iowa Point of View

alohafri
10-07-2003, 08:35 PM
Here's a great column from a columnist at the Des Moines register:

http://www.dmregister.com/opinion/stories/c5917686/22436658.html

Mrs. Aloha

doublem23
10-07-2003, 09:27 PM
Meanwhile, the other 99.9% of Iowa are asking, "Isn't 'Sox' spelled with a 'cks'?"

TDog
10-07-2003, 10:16 PM
I think Arnie would be at home at WSI.

mike
10-07-2003, 10:42 PM
I've never been to the North side of Chicago, but I can imagine what it must be like as I walk the streets of Iowa City. You can't walk 3 feet without seeing a cubs hat here or a cubs shirt there. I've only met 4 other sox fans the whole time I've been here. But hey it sure is fun to walk down those streets wearing my sox stuff. The thing about most cubs fans are they think everyone is a Cubs fan. It's nice to knock them back into reality for a bit.

Nick@Nite
10-07-2003, 11:13 PM
I grew up in Davenport, Iowa. As far back as I can remember it ALWAYS crossed my mind that Chicago was a two baseball team town. It rankled me that the Cubs got so much TV coverage on the local sports news and in the Quad City Times, while the Sox were barely mentioned, if at all.

I'd come home from school and Jack Brickhouse would be droning on about ... "he gave it a ride" or some crap, and that was about it for watching the Cubs as far as I was concerned. Day baseball on WQAD-TV? Hey, I had neighbors to terrorize (and little league baseball to play!)

As for channel 44 cable, we had it. My Dad would bust a gut laughing while Harray Caray did his thing (and later in combo with Jimmy Piersall). My Pops wasn't a diehard, but he enjoyed watching the Sox, and would barely mention anything to do with the Cubs.

I remember (vaguely, I admit) the Dick Allen years and Chuck Tanner managing. Believe it or not, when playing whiffle-ball in the neighborhood, I was either Nyls Nyman (how forgettable is he!?) or Jorge Orta (both lefties -- I naturally bat righthanded -- but like most kids playing whiffle-ball, I'd bat lefty) ...

I'm not implying that I'm a super Sox fan, but I'll say this...

As long as I put shoe leather to Earth, and have tongue, tonsils, and vocal cords, I will forever say that the Cubs and their fans can kiss my ass.

fuzzy_patters
10-08-2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by alohafri
Here's a great column from a columnist at the Des Moines register:

http://www.dmregister.com/opinion/stories/c5917686/22436658.html

Mrs. Aloha

I love his subtle plea to get the Iowa State fans to become White Sox fans because the Cubs are so similar to the Hawkeyes. That was great. The only problem with the article was that the Sox threatened to move to Tampa in the late 1980s, not the early '80s.