PDA

View Full Version : Scott Boras & the Sox


kraut83
10-07-2003, 04:30 PM
I've seen some postings here in the week regarding players who have Scott Boras as their agent (Millwood, Visquel), and that there was no way Boras would ever let one of his clients sign with the Sox.

What is the cause of this dislike between he and the Sox management/ownership? I think Kevin Millwood would be a great option as he too often this past season fell victim to a lack of run support (14-12, 4.01era, 222 innings 2.5/1 k/bb ratio).

Also, does anyone know of where I could find a list of available free agents this offseason?

Thanks a bunch.

Dadawg_77
10-07-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by kraut83
I've seen some postings here in the week regarding players who have Scott Boras as their agent (Millwood, Visquel), and that there was no way Boras would ever let one of his clients sign with the Sox.

What is the cause of this dislike between he and the Sox management/ownership? I think Kevin Millwood would be a great option as he too often this past season fell victim to a lack of run support (14-12, 4.01era, 222 innings 2.5/1 k/bb ratio).

Also, does anyone know of where I could find a list of available free agents this offseason?

Thanks a bunch.

Not sure if it is personal, just Scott is a bulldog for his players and will do whatever it takes to get the most for them.

soxtalker
10-07-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Not sure if it is personal, just Scott is a bulldog for his players and will do whatever it takes to get the most for them.

Yes. I don't think that Boras tries to steer players away from the Sox, but the Sox seem to avoid players that he represents like they had the plague.

poorme
10-07-2003, 06:34 PM
the sox drafted jeff weaver in the first round with no intention of signing him. the sox had two other picks in the first round and didn't want to spend the money to sign a third. that way JR could hide his own penny pinching by blaming boras.

i was furious when that happened.

dickallen15
10-07-2003, 07:49 PM
Boras tries to get every nickel for his client, and himself. He is not opposed to his players signing with the White Sox, if they are willing to pay what he asks for. He was very good for his clients for a long while, but the tide is starting to turn. The White Sox are not the only organization who doesn't want to deal with him. I'm sure Tom Hicks rues the day he became Boras' best friend.

soxtalker
10-07-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by poorme
the sox drafted jeff weaver in the first round with no intention of signing him. the sox had two other picks in the first round and didn't want to spend the money to sign a third. that way JR could hide his own penny pinching by blaming boras.

i was furious when that happened.

Do you seriously think that he would have wasted picks intentionally? That's value that he gave up. A much more likely explanation is that the GM (Schueler??) did not anticipate what he'd have to pay with Boras as the agent. Maybe give JR some of the blame for also not anticipating correctly. Those are serious errors, and I was furious also.

poorme
10-07-2003, 08:27 PM
from what i heard, they never even negotiated in good faith.

StillMissOzzie
10-07-2003, 11:26 PM
Don't teams have an idea of what the agent is gonna ask for? Isn't that why the Twins passed on Mark Prior,because they knew they weren't gonna pay what he wanted? And is Prior in the Boras stable?


SMO
:gulp:

RichH55
10-08-2003, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by poorme
from what i heard, they never even negotiated in good faith.

And now Weaver and Bobby Seay and Bobby Hill are all making us pay big time:)

poorme
10-08-2003, 09:37 AM
maybe the sox should just not sign any draft picks and use the money to stock JR's humidor.