PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Scenario

RKMeibalane
10-07-2003, 04:11 PM
What if...

...the new manager decides to name an entirely new coaching staff, and Jerry Manuel is a part of it? How bad would that be, if the Sox were still stuck with him next season?

Hokiesox
10-07-2003, 05:14 PM
I bet JM goes to the evil umpire up north. he and sneezy are pretty close.

voodoochile
10-07-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
I bet JM goes to the evil umpire up north. he and sneezy are pretty close.

He is still under contract with the Sox. He won't be managing the club, but he will have other obligations to the Sox - namely to shut up and sit still for a year. If he were to take a job with another team it would at best negate part of his salary with the Sox and at worst put him in violation of his contract thus costing him all the money. I think he is going to take a year off, go home and smell the flowers then end up as an assisstent under Felipe in SF with the understanding that he will eventually replace him.

mandmandm
10-07-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
He is still under contract with the Sox. He won't be managing the club, but he will have other obligations to the Sox - namely to shut up and sit still for a year. If he were to take a job with another team it would at best negate part of his salary with the Sox and at worst put him in violation of his contract thus costing him all the money. I think he is going to take a year off, go home and smell the flowers then end up as an assisstent under Felipe in SF with the understanding that he will eventually replace him.

Sounds like the Wanny of baseball to me. Be afraid San Fran. Be very afraid.

KingXerxes
10-07-2003, 05:29 PM
Filipe Alou just looked every bit as brain dead as Manuel over this past weekend didn't he? He should hire Ol' Jerry, and they can sit on the end of the Giants bench next year like two plaster statues watching the world pass them by.

thepaulbowski
10-07-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
Filipe Alou just looked every bit as brain dead as Manuel over this past weekend didn't he?

It may be senility creeping in, too! :o:

soxtalker
10-07-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
He is still under contract with the Sox. He won't be managing the club, but he will have other obligations to the Sox - namely to shut up and sit still for a year. If he were to take a job with another team it would at best negate part of his salary with the Sox and at worst put him in violation of his contract thus costing him all the money. ...

Is there any different impact on his contract whether he goes to SF or the Cubs (or any other team)?

dickallen15
10-07-2003, 07:50 PM
I think Jerry is going to collect his money, and sit next season out.