PDA

View Full Version : Mags

RichH55
10-07-2003, 01:13 PM
Alright this thread presupposes a few things:

A) That we are trading Mags(Not the wisdom of such a move)
B) We can talk about dealing other guys(C.Lee? Konerko?) at a later time

Just wondering what the market is for Mags

I have heard some talk about NY
- Makes Sense
- Nick Johnson is a nice player, but does he fit here if you can't deal Konerko?
- They would have pitching to deal and they will be players on the FA Market

The team that makes sense to me: Padres

Mags has links to SD; He's a great player as well, and they are looking for "Big" Names who will help their ballclub

Who would we get?

Depending on if you think Reed is ready for primetime, you may or may not want Xavier Nady coming back

I really don't see the point of the deal without Khalil Greene --> He's a good looking youngster, but when a team deals for Giles and then Mags (Even talks about Kendall) they appear to have a win now mentality, so dealing him seems posible

I admit I haven't looked at anything here, but a Jose/Khalil platoon would be nice for next year, with resigning Jose cheap for one more year (with an option)..then Greene answers a big problem for the future

Also need to get pitching back --> Not Kevin Jarvis
I like Brian Lawrence here....A package centered around Lawrence and Greene doesn't look bad to me...I assume a third player in the least...or maybe you take just Lawrence and Greene and try to make them eat a bad contract like Koch(Only one year left, and maybe you can sell the "rebound" idea)

Just some food for thought

fledgedrallycap
10-07-2003, 01:20 PM
The whole deal with Konerko is not worrying so much about what you get in return as it is moving his fat contract and slow butt out of town. I like Paulie, but this club needs to make some changes. I personally feel as though L.A. would be a front-runner with an over-priced (although not to Paulie's extreme) coming back in return.

fledgedrallycap
10-07-2003, 01:21 PM
sorry about that last post - I got a little confused. Don't trade Mags :)

RichH55
10-07-2003, 01:21 PM
Another idea I've been batting around is sort of a three way deal.....

If you go with SD and get a guy like Greene and Lawrence and get a youngster for the third player, then you give yourself more options

Maybe that third player is a prospect and you move him along with more to Montreal for Vazquez.

Or you get Greene, and sign Cabrera and then move Greene onto Montreal

Many scenarios out there

RichH55
10-07-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
sorry about that last post - I got a little confused. Don't trade Mags :)

Please read first lines.

Not about whether to deal Mags or not (We have been over that ad neausuem)....just about what a trade would bring in return

dickallen15
10-07-2003, 02:27 PM
San Diego got Giles, probably will get Kendall, and will go after a big name pitcher. I would doubt they are still interested in Maggs. Those thinking trading Magglio ,who will be making $14 million next year, will bring a slew of top prospects, obviously hasn't been paying attention to the trade market the last couple of years. The Yankees could pick him up, but their prospect well has run dry. If the Sox want full salary relief, you'll see them with someone like Jon Adkins in return for our best player. I don't think that would go over very well, and expect Magglio to stay.

RichH55
10-07-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
San Diego got Giles, probably will get Kendall, and will go after a big name pitcher. I would doubt they are still interested in Maggs. Those thinking trading Magglio ,who will be making $14 million next year, will bring a slew of top prospects, obviously hasn't been paying attention to the trade market the last couple of years. The Yankees could pick him up, but their prospect well has run dry. If the Sox want full salary relief, you'll see them with someone like Jon Adkins in return for our best player. I don't think that would go over very well, and expect Magglio to stay.

Sounds like the case for dealing Carlos.....I still think SD is a viable option...especially when Kendall isnt there yet