PDA

View Full Version : Rosenthal On Colon / Mags/ Manager

Lip Man 1
10-07-2003, 12:45 PM
Ken Rosenthal of The Sporting News has a few columns out on the web site dealing with the White Sox.

Here's an excerpt from one of them:

"The White Sox offered RHP Bartolo Colon a three-year deal for reportedly between $30 million and $36 million, prompting one G.M. to remark, "I'm waiting for them to trade (RF Magglio) Ordonez or trade (LF Carlos) Lee. There's no way their payroll computes."

Ordonez is owed $14 million next season, and Lee stands to earn at least $6 million in arbitration. The White Sox's payroll, $51 million this season, likely will be in the range of $55 million-$60 million."

On the other one he talks about the Sox managerial situation in connection with the fact that Williams has retained most of the current coaches and concludes that the Sox are limiting their candidates to guys who are simply grateful to get a big league managing job.

Doesn't sound like the best recipe for winning to me.

Lip

mrwag
10-07-2003, 12:55 PM
What else would you expect?

RichH55
10-07-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Ken Rosenthal of The Sporting News has a few columns out on the web site dealing with the White Sox.

"The White Sox offered RHP Bartolo Colon a three-year deal for reportedly between $30 million and $36 million, prompting one G.M. to remark, "I'm waiting for them to trade (RF Magglio) Ordonez or trade (LF Carlos) Lee. There's no way their payroll computes."

Ordonez is owed $14 million next season, and Lee stands to earn at least $6 million in arbitration. The White Sox's payroll, $51 million this season, likely will be in the range of $55 million-$60 million."

On the other one he talks about the Sox managerial situation in connection with the fact that Williams has retained most of the current coaches and concludes that the Sox are limiting their candidates to guys who are simply grateful to get a big league managing job.

Lip

That GM sounds like me:)

On the coaching....I will believe it one way or the other once I see who they get.......No fair to crucify KW before he even makes the move

KingXerxes
10-07-2003, 01:17 PM
I am fairly convinced that the White Sox already have their manager - and this manager has agreed to stay with all the existing coaches. While I think Kenny Williams does an okay job as far as talent evaluation goes, I think he is something less than straightforward when dealing with the media and the fans. This, of course, is probably the biggest attribute he has in the eyes of ownership.

cheeses_h_rice
10-07-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
I am fairly convinced that the White Sox already have their manager - and this manager has agreed to stay with all the existing coaches. While I think Kenny Williams does an okay job as far as talent evaluation goes, I think he is something less than straightforward when dealing with the media and the fans. This, of course, is probably the biggest attribute he has in the eyes of ownership.

And does the manager you're thinking of have the initials O.G.?

voodoochile
10-07-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes

Actually, I think KW has been pretty straight with the fans and media.

But, it wouldn't surprise me if they have their guy or have already limited the selections down to a few people. That is just smart media management not to make an announcement in the middle of the flubbie hysteria that currently is gripping the newpapers, TV stations and city in general.

ozzman
10-07-2003, 01:34 PM
And does the manager you're thinking of have the initials O.G.?

well ozzie couldnt have agreed to keep the coaches already or florida will be going after some tampering charges

dickallen15
10-07-2003, 02:21 PM
If I recall, Dusty Baker was stuck with a pitching coach the Cubs retained. It didn't effect the hire.

MRKARNO
10-07-2003, 04:02 PM
White Sox offered RHP Bartolo Colon a three-year deal for reportedly between $30 million and $36 million, prompting one G.M. to remark, "I'm waiting for them to trade (RF Magglio) Ordonez or trade (LF Carlos) Lee. There's no way their payroll computes."

Well maybe the sox are upping their payroll. This cant be ruled out.

Daver
10-07-2003, 05:20 PM
I have my suspicions that the next manager is already on the Sox payroll,and was given a year off from managing at any level this season.

soxtalker
10-07-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Actually, I think KW has been pretty straight with the fans and media.

But, it wouldn't surprise me if they have their guy or have already limited the selections down to a few people. That is just smart media management not to make an announcement in the middle of the flubbie hysteria that currently is gripping the newpapers, TV stations and city in general.

I agree on both counts. This kind of announcement is something that they don't want to hide, and it would quickly be forgotten in the Cubs hysteria. For the manager, I'd bet that there are at least two or three possibilities. They may have a front runner, but they'll interview a few. If nothing else, it helps their bargaining position.

MRKARNO
10-07-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Daver
I have my suspicions that the next manager is already on the Sox payroll,and was given a year off from managing at any level this season.

Could you give us a name?

nodiggity59
10-07-2003, 05:40 PM
i agree w/ mkarno vrom before. of course we know JR will not be a "big" spender, but the sox could conceivably end up with a 60-65mil pay roll. i think that what management may mean is that they won't go out of their bracket - they certainly wont spend over seventy.

they havent said they wont spend over 60, weve just got the
impression theyll be a lot like this year which could be 65

hold2dibber
10-07-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by nodiggity59
i agree w/ mkarno vrom before. of course we know JR will not be a "big" spender, but the sox could conceivably end up with a 60-65mil pay roll. i think that what management may mean is that they won't go out of their bracket - they certainly wont spend over seventy.

they havent said they wont spend over 60, weve just got the
impression theyll be a lot like this year which could be 65

This year was under $60 million - $54 million, IIRC. Williams has said in the press that the payroll for '04 will be about the same as it was in '03. If that is the case, if Colon accepts the offer, I think the Sox would probably have to trade Lee AND Maggs to keep the payroll in the $55 million range.

gosox41
10-08-2003, 02:18 PM

Lip

Based on what you wrote, Rosenthal is leaving one factor out of managerial equation; the Sox are probably going to hire a minoroty to manage the team since JR is chairman of the committee.

Willie Randolph and Ozzie Guillen sound like they fit the requirements. I don't want Guillen and don't know much about Randolph to judge him.

Bob

gosox41
10-08-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Daver

Who??? Harold Baines??

Bob

dan
10-08-2003, 02:28 PM
the entire payroll is dependent on the results of arbitration and the signing of Jose, Bartolo, and Everett. If the afformentioned players take large pay cuts, its possible that we could still contend for a division again.

fuzzy_patters
10-08-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Based on what you wrote, Rosenthal is leaving one factor out of managerial equation; the Sox are probably going to hire a minoroty to manage the team since JR is chairman of the committee.

Willie Randolph and Ozzie Guillen sound like they fit the requirements. I don't want Guillen and don't know much about Randolph to judge him.

Bob

You might be on to something. Ozzie, Randolph, and Cito Gaston all fit the minority requirement.

RichH55
10-08-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
You might be on to something. Ozzie, Randolph, and Cito Gaston all fit the minority requirement.

OF those three I like Willie the most