PDA

View Full Version : Deep Thoughts

xil357
10-06-2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

On a side note: My Uncle is the one who caused Bush I to coin the phrase Voodoo Economics. The Laffer Curve - based on Supply Side economics was the lynchpin of the Reagan economic plan. Like Uncle like nephew...

Re: "Voodoo economics."

I have seen more puns and double entendres and more great personal stories here on WSI tonight than I ever have before.

Even though 2003 was a disappointment by most standards, I personally cherish many memories of the 2003 campaign even though I didn't make it to one Sox home game. But I was there with you in spirit, bratwurst in hand, watching the All Star Game between static on my TV here at home in Texas. I was at the Saturday night debacle at the Ballpark in Arlington when Bart imploded against the Rangers, cheering for the Sox with two other lonely Sox fans in the CF bleachers when Sandy and Lee brought the Sox back and made a game of it. I was in Chicago when they started their remarkable run against the Royals -- in Kansas City. (In 2004 I'm going to plan my annual visit to Chicago a little more intelligently!). I was in the game chat in early July when the Sox beat the Twins in extra innings on a Frank walk-off on the day they traded for Everett and Alomar, when suddenly everything seemed possible. I was in the car on my birthday driving home from a Friday night rib and hot link dinner listening to the Sox on the Rangers' radio broadcast when they were heating up again in late August. And although I was driving home in the car each night when the Sox tanked it by getting swept in Minnesota, I got the scoop here when I got home. Except when I could listen to White Sox radio or see them live on network TV, I've gotten all the best Sox news this year FIRST at WSI.

Sox fans seem to me to be like the irrepressible British of WWII, who despite continuing to be bombed day after night by the tenacious Nazis, kept their spirits, dry wits and overall good cheer. I think the worst of times (like the Cubs win last night) brings out the best in us Sox fans.

I know we quarrel a whole lot over things like pitching and defense vs. OBP and OPS and what motivates JR to be such a tightwad, and even more mercilessly over in the Parking Lot. We're not unlike the Brits in another way -- we are like Parliament. We also demand that our media coverage be as fair and balanced and dogged as the BBC.

But when we are under attack, under the most trying circumstances (such as now), we keep ourselves cheerful with stories that tug at our heartstrings, tales of Or-E-O, Maaaglio and of brighter seasons that almost were. We are a brotherhood (and sisterhood) that goes beyond just an allegiance to the colors (heck, we can't agree on red pin stripes or silver and black!). It's deeper than that.

We are united in being the ultimate contrarians. We all feel alone in our own lives because people think that because we have ties to Chicago, we must be Cubs fans. But together, like England, we are an island in a sea of Cubbie blue, around which the sharks and Messerschmitts gather like an impending maelstrom.

But we fear not. We soldier on. Sox Army stands united.

Thanks, WSI recent enlistees, regulars, personalities, church elders, mods and, yes, sanitation engineers, for keeping WSI going and growing.

Thanks, Pale Hose "Winston Churchill" George, for making this all possible in the first place. This one's for you:
:gulp:

Cheers!

konerkopeachy
10-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Well written! A great article for the articulate-impaired, such as myself.

voodoochile
10-07-2003, 01:09 AM
Nice post. I loved the part about Ribs and hotlinks. Where do you live? Chicago has the best BBQ in the world, IMO. I realize there are some in Texas, Kansas and NC who would argue, but man there are some rib joints on the southside that will make a dead man get up and walk for a taste of the sauce.

If that seems a tangent, it really isn't at least not in my mind, see your point about the diversity in Sox fans made me think about the comparison to the homogenized fanbase that roots for the northsiders. Maybe it is just my impression, but the people here come from all walks of life and aren't afraid of who they are or what they feel. There is everything from plumbers to lawyers to doctors to students to delivery drivers who post here and all of them aren't afraid of going "south of Chinatown" to find a little fun.

Next year we have to do some true southside get togethers and get away from the north side bars and restuarants. Go find the true Chicago. The hole in the wall restaurants and bars that celebrate life and where real people gather. Not those clones who sit in the bleachers at Wrigley and think they are the next hot thing because they can bow to Sham-ME* and leave after 7 to beat the crowd to Hi-Tops...

flo-B-flo
10-07-2003, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by xil357
Re: "Voodoo economics."

I have seen more puns and double entendres and more great personal stories here on WSI tonight than I ever have before.

Even though 2003 was a disappointment by most standards, I personally cherish many memories of the 2003 campaign even though I didn't make it to one Sox home game. But I was there with you in spirit, bratwurst in hand, watching the All Star Game between static on my TV here at home in Texas. I was at the Saturday night debacle at the Ballpark in Arlington when Bart imploded against the Rangers, cheering for the Sox with two other lonely Sox fans in the CF bleachers when Sandy and Lee brought the Sox back and made a game of it. I was in Chicago when they started their remarkable run against the Royals -- in Kansas City. (In 2004 I'm going to plan my annual visit to Chicago a little more intelligently!). I was in the game chat in early July when the Sox beat the Twins in extra innings on a Frank walk-off on the day they traded for Everett and Alomar, when suddenly everything seemed possible. I was in the car on my birthday driving home from a Friday night rib and hot link dinner listening to the Sox on the Rangers' radio broadcast when they were heating up again in late August. And although I was driving home in the car each night when the Sox tanked it by getting swept in Minnesota, I got the scoop here when I got home. Except when I could listen to White Sox radio or see them live on network TV, I've gotten all the best Sox news this year FIRST at WSI.

Sox fans seem to me to be like the irrepressible British of WWII, who despite continuing to be bombed day after night by the tenacious Nazis, kept their spirits, dry wits and overall good cheer. I think the worst of times (like the Cubs win last night) brings out the best in us Sox fans.

I know we quarrel a whole lot over things like pitching and defense vs. OBP and OPS and what motivates JR to be such a tightwad, and even more mercilessly over in the Parking Lot. We're not unlike the Brits in another way -- we are like Parliament. We also demand that our media coverage be as fair and balanced and dogged as the BBC.

But when we are under attack, under the most trying circumstances (such as now), we keep ourselves cheerful with stories that tug at our heartstrings, tales of Or-E-O, Maaaglio and of brighter seasons that almost were. We are a brotherhood (and sisterhood) that goes beyond just an allegiance to the colors (heck, we can't agree on red pin stripes or silver and black!). It's deeper than that.

We are united in being the ultimate contrarians. We all feel alone in our own lives because people think that because we have ties to Chicago, we must be Cubs fans. But together, like England, we are an island in a sea of Cubbie blue, around which the sharks and Messerschmitts gather like an impending maelstrom.

Thanks, WSI recent enlistees, regulars, personalities, church elders, mods and, yes, sanitation engineers, for keeping WSI going and growing.

Thanks, Pale Hose "Winston Churchill" George, for making this all possible in the first place. This one's for you:

Cheers! here here GO-GO SOX!! thanks George,Daver,Voodoo, and all at WSI!! :)

woodenleg
10-07-2003, 10:32 AM
I understand completely and appreciate what you are saying, but I come from an Irish nationalist family, and I always felt as if they were the British and we were the Irish.

:)

It really feels that way sometimes - like your nationalism is disloyal to the Empire.

Regardless,

xil357
10-07-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by woodenleg
I understand completely and appreciate what you are saying, but I come from an Irish nationalist family, and I always felt as if they were the British and we were the Irish.

:)

It really feels that way sometimes - like your nationalism is disloyal to the Empire.

Regardless,

No offense intended. Yes, the plight of Ireland and the Irish is a great metaphor for Sox fans as well. Especially the Guinness...

PaleHoseGeorge
10-07-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by xil357
....We are united in being the ultimate contrarians. We all feel alone in our own lives because people think that because we have ties to Chicago, we must be Cubs fans. But together, like England, we are an island in a sea of Cubbie blue, around which the sharks and Messerschmitts gather like an impending maelstrom.

Thanks, WSI recent enlistees, regulars, personalities, church elders, mods and, yes, sanitation engineers, for keeping WSI going and growing....

These are awfully nice sentiments. Thank you. WSI is approaching its fifth anniversary, and for me all of the seasons have been made special for having shared them here with you. I'm sure you know I'm a fan of Churchill's and I'm flattered to have anything I ever did be likened to anything he ever did. Of course the entire site is strictly tongue-in-cheek, so I'll accept your accolades in the humorous spirit I know you intended. And many thanks, too, of course.

I've never thought of WSI as Britain during the blitz, but I can see the parallels. I've always likened it more to British-American colonists finally staking out for themselves what the tyranny of Whitehall would never give them any other way but through open revolution to the crown: true equality and true independence.

Yeah, I'd like to be George Washington and I'd flatter myself to be Benjamin Franklin, too. In truth I'm far closer to John Adams... too vain and stubborn for my own good.. but the very rock upon which the Declaration of Independence was conceived.

"Facts are stubborn things." :smile:

SouthSideHitman
10-07-2003, 08:26 PM
Man, when I saw the title of this thread I thought it would be a cheap, one-off Jack Handy joke, but this works too.

I guess that I've said what I wanted about Sox fandom on the What Kind of Fan? thread, so I just wanted to say that xil357 really struck a chord with me talking about the good times this year. I guess what with the implosion and the flubs, I've felt really bad about this season but I can still take a lot of good things with me from this year.

Huddling through two and a half hours of cold rain and then nine innings of cold to watch the Sox beat the Tigers (and see Koch's only good outing). Watching Bueherle outpitch Pedro in June. Seeing four wins over the flubs - two blowouts two walk-offs. Sweeping the sweeping the twins. Watching KW trade the Sox into momentary national respect. Sitting in a car in Louisville to listen to the last nailbiting innnings of the last Sox win in KC in August. Winnniing six straight at home and then going in to the Bronx and pounding the Bombers. Finally, my last Sox game of the year is what I will take with me to hold me over, in this our winter of discontent. Sitting in the upper-deck on the last Monday game surrounded by yankees fans only to see the Sox come back and win it with a walk-off by Maggs. Even though the Sox were done, that pumped the crowd who chanted "cubs suck" and "yankees suck!" until they reached the street.

Only five months 'till Tucson. Vive la Sox!

VeeckAsInWreck
10-07-2003, 10:52 PM
Hey xil357,

Just like SouthSideHitman before me, I thought this would be a SNL Jack Handy type post, but it was better than that anyway. I am glad that you found this site and have been able to attend games at the Cell vicariously through us. When you are in town in '04 let us know, we'll have a Polish or Kosher dog (your choice).

At the moment we are under attack. (not like the people of Iraq)
However, we are huddling together showing our disgust for the machine known as "The Cubs". We can only hope the Marlins come through, regardless I also thank PHG, West, and everyone else who does a wonderful job of keeping our sanctuary up. Keep up the good work!

:gulp: GO MARLINS!!!!!!!!