PDA

View Full Version : Who wins the Race to the World Series? White Sox or Cubs?

ssang
10-06-2003, 02:13 PM
Does anyone else feel this is like one gigantic race between our Sox and the Dispicible Cubs?

I mean in '83 we had the major upper hand and things looked bleak for the Cubs. The Sox had a good shot at the world series. But alas, it was not to be as the Orioles upset the Sox, thus crushing all Sox fans hopes for the time being. Both teams would still have to wait.

In '84 the worst-case scenario came true. The Sox went from a 20 game division winner to finishing under .500 in one season. And the Cubs came from nowhere and actually got even closer to the series than they have this year. ONE freakin' game away! But a God-send named the San Diego Padres came all the way back to save the day as they won 3 straight games to prevent the Cubs from getting to the World Series.

In '89 The White Sox and their fans got another Major scare as we sucked big-time while the Cubs won their division. Again, the Cubs were one series away from the whole thing. But they never seriously threatened the Giants. Another bullet dodged.

In '93 and '94 we thought we finally might just get to the world series. Just think, we were actually 2 games (2 HOME games I might add) away from making it to the Big one. 1993 was a bitter ending but the future was extremely bright! The Cubs meanwhile, were still far from contending as they continued to suck both seasons. Obviously, we all know what happened in '94 and many of us still have not recovered. I'm not going into detail but let's just say Uncle Jerry didn't excalty help the White Sox make it to the wrold series in 1994.

1998 was hardly a threat if you ask me. The Cubs had to play a playoff game to make it to the post season (they actually won more, 90 games, in '98 than they did this season, 88). They hardly had anything special pitching and hitting wise. It was a very quiet playoff stay for the Cubs fans as the Braves dominated in a 3-0 sweep. The Sox meanwhile, were just an average ballclub. But again, '98 was no threat.

2000 was a weird feeling. We won the most games in the AL and would have had home field throughout the entire postseason....but you knew we were longshots to get tot he world series. Out pitching was limping badly to the finish line and it's not like they were world-beaters even before the injuries. As the Sox usually have since 1917, we choked worse than expected even! Our supposed strength, the offense, embarrassed themselves in a patheric 3-0 sweep vs. Seattle. The Cubs, by the way, were nowhere to be found.

That brings us to today. This is a serious threat for the Cubs to make it to the series first. We choked and missed the post season and now the Cubs are heavy favorites to make it to the world series.

Is this the bleakest things have ever looked for us? Worse than '84? I was too young to remember any detial of that season, but from what my dad tells me, he is even more scared now than he was with the Cubs just 1 game away. He said the Tigers would've murdered the Cubs. This year, if the Cubs can get past the Marlins (as expected) they have a REAL good chance to win it all!?!? As much as I hate to say it, Prior and Wood iare just tremendous!

These are some scary times. I'll just be glad when the Marlins (only 10 year old franchise) surprises the Cubs and I can give a big sigh of relief. IT WILL NOT HAPPEN THIS YEAR!! Keep the faith, the Cubs still need to win 4 more games. The Marlins have heart!!!

Mammoo
10-06-2003, 04:14 PM
...the Cubs are four victories away. The Marlins don't stand a chance against that pitching staff.

It is, what it is!!!

More power to 'em!

FarWestChicago
10-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo
...the Cubs are four victories away. The Marlins don't stand a chance against that pitching staff.

It is, what it is!!!

More power to 'em! :crossdresser

Mammoo and I are HUGE Sox fans.

ssang
10-06-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo

It is, what it is!!!

More power to 'em!

Uh....this is a web site for WHITE SOX fans. Are you sure you're at the right place? I mean.... "more power to them"

You have to be a Cub fan, right?

MRKARNO
10-06-2003, 04:37 PM
I think that both teams are gonna get real darn close a number of times before it actually happens. I dont think one team will just come up and shock the world. It will be a "wow this took a lot of tries in october the last few years" type of thing, where the shock of getting to a certain point will be over. I dont think that one team will be good and not the other. I think that in the next 10 years there will be 4 appearances by a chicago team in the World Series

KingXerxes
10-06-2003, 05:01 PM
They actually tied by both getting there in 1906, although if one were to count World's Championships (as opposed to World Series Winners) then the Cubs - who were called the White Stockings at the time were the actual winners in the 1870's. But if you measure it in terms of the first World Series winner, then the White Sox win for knocking off the Cubs in 1906. Now if volume of World Series appearances is what you mean, then the Cubs win hands down with ten National League Pennants to the White Sox four American League crowns. World Series winners? Tied at two each.

Mammoo
10-06-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by ssang
Uh....this is a web site for WHITE SOX fans. Are you sure you're at the right place? I mean.... "more power to them"

You have to be a Cub fan, right?

I see by your profile that I've been a Sox fan a lot longer than you. In fact, my son has been a Sox fan a lot longer than you! :smile:

Anyway, I refuse to waste valuable energy "hating" the Cubs when I can put it to good use rooting for the White Sox. If the Cubs win eight games straight, it doesn't change the fact that my team spit the bit when it counted.

Here's to ya!! :gulp:

ssang
10-06-2003, 05:13 PM
What I meant by this thread is who is gonna go in modern history. 1906 is WAY too far back to mean anything today. I'm basically saying since the 1959 appearance by the Sox.

SpringfldFan
10-06-2003, 05:50 PM
I recall all of those years you mention. By far this is the scariest time. In fact it is so scary that I have practically resigned myself to a northside world series champion very soon. I believe this because of what I see in that organization's personnel. They have four "ace" starters who are all just reaching, or have yet to reach, their prime. They also continue to have one of the premier minor league systems in baseball, and we forget they have a highly touted and young first baseman and center fielder who basically missed the last half of this season on the DL.

The other Cub playoff appearances were times when everyone came together at just the right time with career years. This Cub team appears to be strong from deep within and what we see now I am afraid is just a hint of what is to come.

39thandWallace
10-07-2003, 02:38 AM
I don't understand how this site became a "WE HATE THE CUBS SITE" If you don't like this team then don't watch them. Also, a Sox fan should not be measured by how much they hate the Cubs that is ridiculous.

We are just as loyal as Yankee, Red Sox, Cub's fan's are. I want the Sox to beat the Cubs every chance they get but if the Sox aren't involved I don't care, simple as that.

KingXerxes
10-07-2003, 10:13 AM
My sentiments exactly.

Viva Magglio
10-07-2003, 10:14 AM
A lot of us are not convinced that the Cubs winning this NLCS is a foregone conclusion. Wood and even Prior can be had if the Marlins do the little things.

voodoochile
10-07-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by 39thandWallace
I don't understand how this site became a "WE HATE THE CUBS SITE" If you don't like this team then don't watch them. Also, a Sox fan should not be measured by how much they hate the Cubs that is ridiculous.

We are just as loyal as Yankee, Red Sox, Cub's fan's are. I want the Sox to beat the Cubs every chance they get but if the Sox aren't involved I don't care, simple as that.

Originally posted by KingXerxes
My sentiments exactly.

That's why for the most part we have been moving threads to the Parking Lot. This one was at least on the suface more about the Sox and their chances/need to make the WS so I left it alone.

Lip Man 1
10-07-2003, 01:32 PM
This is sort of an unfair question at this point because the Cubs are only four wins away from doing it, but I'll answer the question this way, as long as the Cubs are willing to spend 88 million dollars on payroll and the White Sox about 53 million the odds are tremendously in the Cubs favor.

The numbers have shown conclusively that the larger the payroll, the better your chances of getting to a World Series.

No team has ever made the series since the labor impasse of 1994 with a payroll of less then 65 million.

Lip

Gumshoe
10-07-2003, 07:51 PM
Good stuff Lip. I agree totally. the evil that IS JR and all of his hiring bullcrap has shown him to be what HE really is. HE is the loser. Sox fans are winners. Our team has been plagued by the worst owners of all time. I hope he sells really fast. Any news on this?

As for the Cubs, look at them legit. I can't stand cub FANS, so I won't root for the Cubs. But I don't think they have it. In my opinion, Zambrano is weak right now and clement is so so, so Prior and Wood HAVE to come up big. Their relievers are WEAK and their lineup is too. This team isn't as good, actually, as the Marlins are. They have holes, but they do have solidarity. Don't believe the hype. They can do a 5 game series, but I don't think they can last 7. marlins in 5

gumshoe

MRKARNO
10-07-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
They can do a 5 game series, but I don't think they can last 7. marlins in 5

As much as I want the fish in five, I dont think it's fair to either team to say that one team will win in 5 or less. I dont think either team is good enough to win in less than 6 games, but I predict fish in 6

doublem23
10-07-2003, 09:28 PM
If the Cubs get there first, it will only end all doubt for me that god really doesn't exist.

GO MARLINS! SECURE MY AFTERLIFE!

Gumshoe
10-08-2003, 01:18 PM
especially since prior is going to lose tonight, cubs score runs but can't win. Let's face it. Their bullpen is WEAK and their offense is due for a few more 1 or 0 run games. Advantage, Marlins. Wood is also not going to keep this streak up.

2-0 and going back to FLA

Gumshoe

ps - go red sox

Dan H
10-08-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
especially since prior is going to lose tonight, cubs score runs but can't win. Let's face it. Their bullpen is WEAK and their offense is due for a few more 1 or 0 run games. Advantage, Marlins. Wood is also not going to keep this streak up.

2-0 and going back to FLA

Gumshoe

ps - go red sox

I don't know what makes you think Prior will lose tonight. He is due for a sub par performance, but I will have to see it to believe it. I do hope you are right. What is also hopeful is that the Cubs will depend too much on Wood and Prior. Good as they are, I don't think the team can expect them to win everything. Last night took a little momentum away from the Cubbies.

On who goes to the Series first, I worry that the Sox have the talent but not the will. Even if the Cubs don't make it this year, they will be dangerous again next year. I just hope the Sox do some signficant things in the off season.