PDA

View Full Version : How do you cope?

thechico
10-06-2003, 11:38 AM
Well, like Tommy John, I'm ticked too. But, I'm sticking around. I don't live in Chi-town anymore, but there are still too many Flub fans for my taste here in NE Indiana.
Scrubs winning round 1 makes it harder to eat. Still can't forget the fargin icehole who held up the sign in 2000 that said Sox will lose Round 1. Woulda liked to make him eat that.
So, what are you fellow hoseheads doing to cope with the stress?

Chico

ewokpelts
10-06-2003, 11:45 AM
plan to shoot myself...that or get REALLY drunk

Dadawg_77
10-06-2003, 12:14 PM
Durgs, lots of drugs

and enough

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

to make her look

:cleo

:messica

voodoochile
10-06-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Durgs, lots of drugs

and enough

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

to make her look

:cleo

:messica

I don't ever want to drink THAT much beer ever again in my life...

Hangar18
10-06-2003, 12:20 PM
Ive been things. Lots of things. just trying to NOT watch TV
or read the Papers. I honestly think the MEDIA is more excited than the Fans. They showed a bunch of Bozos last nite at Clark and Addison, but you know what? It wasnt as many people as I would expect. Even their own fans seem a bit more reserved than I was expecting. The following story was just relayed to me by a "Casual" cub & sox fan. the guy goes to both parks, and is just there to be there. He said there was a CLTV (cub-loverTV) reporter trying to interview a "fan", and everyone was jumping around, being silly and cheering. He said ONE LONE SOX FAN, with his black cap on, kept interrupting the interview by saying "Sox Still Win" "4 games to 2" "Go White SOX".
That guy spoke volumes, and for Many by doing that. I Laughed hearing that, and my coworker said he Thought of Me
seeing that guy

Reichardt
10-06-2003, 12:23 PM
Being a fan of the Indianapolis Colts - yeah I'm the one - football has been a good diversion this fall. Having said that, I'm sure Michaels and Madden will find a way to bring up the 95 year crap during the game tonight. :(:

mandmandm
10-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Luckily Chris Rock's old special was on right after the game. I needed some comic relief and while I have seen it many times it made me laugh. Ignore the media. If you live in Chicago do not bother watching the local news. I am currently avoiding sports talk radio. And while the Tribune gets knocked for obvious reasons, they have the courtesy of wrapping a special Cubs section around the sports section. I can quickly take all of the Cubs love articles off and discard in the garbage.

alohafri
10-06-2003, 01:26 PM
I thought I could cope. But I said in an another post, it's getting worse and worse in the office; my boss is a scum (scrub) fan. So I get to come into work every day and hear all the latest drivel about the scum. I even get to mail playoff tickets to other scum fans!(which means I have to handle the slimy tickets). Meanwhile, I'm trying to get some WORK done while the boss plays cards on his computer and dreams up ways to talk about baseball...today he asked if refunds were given yet for Sox playoff tickets. So he is fishing for ANTHING just to bring up the subject of baseball, so that he can talk more about the scum. And tomorrow I get to hear about when he is leaving for the scum game, and all the details about going to the game, then on Wednesday I get to hear all about how wonderful and "electric" the crowd was at the ugly field, and on and on, until the next game. This will not end until the scum are eliminated. So how am I coping? I just might go postal.

Mrs. Aloha

Soxboyrob
10-06-2003, 01:30 PM
I'm coping by remembering that no amount of Cub success or lack thereof will make the Sox a better or worse team. Cub success has nothing to do with us. Let them have their day. Their team is good. Just hope the Sox get a good manager and commit to trying to be a better team that will draw more fans, rather than cutting payroll because we don't draw enough fans.

alohafri
10-06-2003, 01:34 PM
There was a TINY good moment in this hell I'm living in:

My scum fan boss said he got last minute tix to last Friday's game from his brother. He said they got all the way to the ugly field but they wouldn't let them in. Turns out the tickets were for the 2nd round.
Scum fans are so stupid they don't even LOOK at their tickets before going to the game.

Mrs. Aloha

alohafri
10-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
I'm coping by remembering that no amount of Cub success or lack thereof will make the Sox a better or worse team. Cub success has nothing to do with us. Let them have their day. Their team is good. Just hope the Sox get a good manager and commit to trying to be a better team that will draw more fans, rather than cutting payroll because we don't draw enough fans.

Nobody here has blamed the scrubs for the Sox' lack of success. And nobody has said the scrubs aren't a good team.

Sox fans have NO CHOICE when it comes to letting the scrubs "have their day". The problem is, they're having their day, their year, their century. And their fans and the media will make sure that they shove "their day" down Sox fans' throats for the rest of our lives. And THAT is what is hard to cope with.

Mrs. Aloha

Iwritecode
10-06-2003, 01:58 PM
I'm coping by knowing the fact that the Cubs will choke at some point in time. It may be later than sooner, but it will happen. History has proven this time and time again.

Who would have thought they would lose to a team nick-named the "hitless wonders"?

Who thought the "Miracle Mets" would come back and take the division?

Who thought Leon Durham would miss such and easy ground ball?

What's it gonna be this year???

alohafri
10-06-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob

No, it won't make the Sox any better, but it could cause the Chairman to put less into payroll than he already is, "giving up" Chicago to the sCrUBs.

In the meantime, I cope by fantasizing of ways for the sCrUBs to blow it...currently, Mark Prior gets speared by Bill Goldberg.

My new hero, Robert Fick.

woodenleg
10-06-2003, 02:29 PM
...by Elizabeth Flubler-Loss

There are certain stages of grief. 1) Shock – Immediately following the death of a loved one it is difficult to accept the loss. A feeling of unreality occurs. During those first days and through any religious rituals or memorials there is a feeling of being-out-of-touch. 2) Emotional Release – the awareness of just how dreadful the loss is accompanied by intense pangs of grief. In this stage a grieving individuals sleeps badly and weeps uncontrollably 3) Panic - For some time a grieving person can feel in the grip of mental instability. They can find themselves wandering around aimlessly, forgetting things, and not being able to finish what they started. Physical symptoms also can appear -- tightness in the throat, heaviness in the chest, an empty feeling in the stomach, tiredness and fatigue, headaches, migraine headaches, gastric and bowel upsets. 4) Guilt – At this stage an individual can begin to feel guilty about failures to do enough for the deceased, guilt over what happened or what didn’t happen. 5) Hostility – Some individuals feel anger at what “caused” the loss of the loved one. 6) Inability to Resume Business-as-Usual Activities - the ability to concentrate on day-to-day activities may be severely limited. It is important to know and recognize that this is a normal phenomenon. A grieving person’s entire being – emotional, physical and spiritual, is focused on the loss that just occurred. Grief is a 100% experience. No one does it at 50%. 7) Reconciliation of Grief – balance in life returns little by little, much like healing from a severe physical wound. There are no set timeframes for healing. Each individual is different. 8) Hope - the sharp, ever present pain of grief will lessen and hope for a continued, yet different life emerges. Plans are made for the future and the individual is able to move forward in life with good feelings knowing they will always remember and have memories of the loved one.

KingXerxes
10-06-2003, 02:40 PM
Iwritecode - Maybe it's just me, but I think when a team chokes - they choke at all big situations, not just periodically.

Let's face it, last night's win was the biggest Chicago baseball victory in the past 86 years - they didn't choke - they won. If Florida takes them four straight, I will still have a hard time saying they choked, because they went down to Atlanta and beat a team with 101 regular season victories in a deciding Game 5 in order to even get to face Florida (who had a better regular season than the Cubs themselves).

I'm sure there isn't one happy White Sox fan around today, but to deny the fact that the Cubs just won a big game, and a big series doesn't lessen the sadness - it only reduces the credibility of White Sox fans everywhere.

LoveTheSox
10-06-2003, 02:40 PM
Reading your techniques for coping has definitely helped. Thank you, you guys make me laugh, and I need a laugh right about now. I felt sick after watching the cubs win, not because I wish bad times upon them, but I am so sick of all the cubbie coverage I can't stand it! I just have to remind myself that we are going to get a better manager (hopefully anyway), and next year will be our turn. Not that the coverage will be as widespread or sickening as it is now, but we will have our turn. I am confident.

MarqSox
10-06-2003, 02:52 PM
Throwing my support behind the boys over at marlinbaseball.com has been surprisingly uplifting. I feel like I'm spreading the White Sox Gospel by educating the Fish Fans on what Cub fans are really like. Not that they won't understand by this time next week anyway ...

SoxFan76
10-06-2003, 06:18 PM
the thing that scares me about the cubs winning, is that the fans will waste all of their time making fun of sox fans rather than celebrating their first championship in 95 years. i guess that would just show the stupidity of cubs fans, but its still incredibly annoying regardless. plus it doesnt take a genius to know that cubs fans outnumber sox fans, so wherever i go in school, i see people with their cub paraphanelia on. it makes me sick.

and sort of on topic, why do they keep saying the cubs have won their first series in 95 years? i thought they made it to the world series in the 40s, which would require winning a series.

chitown sox
10-06-2003, 06:25 PM
I don't know about north-side chicago (except for the absolutely sickening coverage of the "partying" on television), but we got a helluva lot of Flubbies fans here in Salt Lake City, of all places. Students, teachers, school administrators, even the west-side SLC gangsters that hang around the $.50 taco stand. All flubby-crazy.

And not to mention Rick Reilly. Yeah, that's right, Rick Motherf'ing Reilly. One of the greatest sportswriters of our era, who has disgraced himself with a certain embarrassing article in the latest SI.

It's enough to make a real man cry.

:sox :sox :sox :sox :sox :sox

How to cope? Go Fish! I'm thinking they'll win in five.

duke of dorwood
10-06-2003, 06:27 PM
I've stayed away from local radio-staying with syndicated shows like Howard Stern then avoiding sports radio and TV news all together. Its the best I can do. I just cant take it anymore.

fuzzy_patters
10-06-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
the thing that scares me about the cubs winning, is that the fans will waste all of their time making fun of sox fans rather than celebrating their first championship in 95 years. i guess that would just show the stupidity of cubs fans, but its still incredibly annoying regardless. plus it doesnt take a genius to know that cubs fans outnumber sox fans, so wherever i go in school, i see people with their cub paraphanelia on. it makes me sick.

and sort of on topic, why do they keep saying the cubs have won their first series in 95 years? i thought they made it to the world series in the 40s, which would require winning a series.

It isn't the first series they have won, it is the first post-season series they have won. Their last post-season series win was the 1908 World Series.

Deadguy
10-06-2003, 07:46 PM
I tried to avoid the news and the newspaper, but it is just impossible to avoid this Cub hysteria. I go to ISU, and everyone around here is talking about it.

There was actually a riot around here as well.

I tried to hole myself up in my appartment with the television off, and just forget about the existence of the playoffs, but as soon as the Cubs won, fireworks were going off outside, and people were honking their horns for about 15 minutes.

All this hoopla, and the Cubs are just going to the NLCS. I can't imagine what would happen if, *gulp*, the Cubs win the World Series.

I don't even really have any hatred for the Cubs or their fans, just apathy. However, all this celebration by the Cubs fans just reminds me of how painful the Sox collapse was to me.

I can't imagine what it would be like if I lived in Chicago.

ChiSoxFann
10-06-2003, 07:47 PM
this is awful i opened my big mouth about two weeks ago and made a bet with one of my teachers and long story short the scrubs made it to the second round of the playoffs so now i have to dye my hair blue :(:

voodoochile
10-06-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by ChiSoxFann
this is awful i opened my big mouth about two weeks ago and made a bet with one of my teachers and long story short the scrubs made it to the second round of the playoffs so now i have to dye my hair blue :(:

Not if you report them to the administration for gambling and harrassment...

Chicago Derby
10-06-2003, 08:05 PM
Alcohol, avoiding local TV and radio (lots of CNN and of all things, WFMT), creating a **** list at work of Flub fans....and getting revved up for tomorrow's game...GO FISH

Chicago Derby

Daver
10-06-2003, 08:13 PM
Well yesterday I turned the TV off after the football game was over and spent the evening cleaning this:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/daver/Fifty%20Cal.jpg

Believe it or not it is very relaxing.

:redneck

xil357
10-06-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Well yesterday I turned the TV off after the football game was over and spent the evening cleaning this:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/daver/Fifty%20Cal.jpg

Believe it or not it is very relaxing.

:redneck

Daver,

You know that I'm the furthest thing from a gun lover, but your post and that picture brought a smile to my face.

Was the relaxing part actually cleaning the gun or stroking it lovingly and whispering sweet nothings into the barrel?

kraut83
10-06-2003, 08:49 PM
Suprisingly, Michigan State not sucking this year has been a great diversion, and we haven't even had a chance to pound lumps on the Buckeyes yet!

That being said, I can't wait until the flubs tank against the fish so their "fans" can go back to their latte and biscotti and think about next year.

Go Marlins!!!

Clarkdog
10-06-2003, 08:51 PM
I cope knowing that regardless of the outcome of the Flubs postseason odyessy, the passion of the White Sox fan is absolute. It will not diminish, if anything the resolve will grow stronger. To be a Cubs fan is to be passive, to be a Sox fan is a right of passage. It is generational.

Being a Sox fan is a greater metaphor for life than anything I have encountered. Life is tough, successes are few and failures are plenty. That is the history of this team. That is why we follow so close - we are so observant because we see the opportunities for success and understand why they failed.

A Cubs fan is too busy calling on his cell phone or vomiting in his hat to know how many pitches that Zambrano has thrown and that his sinker is up.

A lot of folks here have a doom and gloom view, feeling that Flubs success will lead to the demise of the White Sox franchise. I don't think so, a lot of people thought the world would got to hell in a handbasket because of Y2K. You saw how that turned out. The Flubs winning a World Series is not the sign of an upcoming apocalypse for the White Sox or the world. The hysteria would pass and life will go on.

Our day will come, and when it does you won't find me jamming it down a Cubs fan throat. It wouldn't be worth it - because they would never understand.

:woo-woo
Especially this guy.

Daver
10-06-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by xil357
Daver,

You know that I'm the furthest thing from a gun lover, but your post and that picture brought a smile to my face.

Was the relaxing part actually cleaning the gun or stroking it lovingly and whispering sweet nothings into the barrel?

LOL!

The only weapon I talk to is this one;

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/daver/Belt%20Drive%202.jpg

Mostly due to the migraines I am getting trying to build new parts for it.Needless to say the words spoken to it are not worth repeating........

xil357
10-06-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Needless to say the words spoken to it are not worth repeating........

Is it really just words or are there kleenex tissues involved, too?

And does the gun talk back to you? What does she say? I hope it isn't just "lip service." <--- and there are so many levels on which you may choose to respond....

TDog
10-06-2003, 10:38 PM
Moving to Alaska this summer has helped me cope. I have to wait for something to come out on DVD before I can see it on television, and our awesome daily newspaper ran the Cubs story at the bottom of the front sports page -- below women's World Cup coverage.

Cub crap don't sell in Mariner country.

sox_fan_forever
10-06-2003, 10:55 PM
I was lucky enough to have to work last night so I didn't have to see the game. None of my co-workers are Cub fans so I didn't have to listen to them. Today I advoided tv, radio (all radio, not just sports), and newspapers. So luckily I haven't really had to deal with it yet. It's quite possible that I am in denial right now and that it will hit me like a ton of bricks tomorrow. Oh well...Go Fish!