PDA

View Full Version : It's amazing that Don Gutteridge is the last.....

Medford Bobby
10-06-2003, 12:01 PM
surviving member of the early '30's St. Louis Cardinals Gas House Gang....he's like 93......His early baseball experience sure did not help the 1970 Sox. We are so lucky that bad club did not kill the franchise and get it moved to Milwaukee or Seattle!!!!!!!!!!

:gulp: Go Fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:

TDog
10-06-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Medford Bobby
surviving member of the early '30's St. Louis Cardinals Gas House Gang....he's like 93......His early baseball experience sure did not help the 1970 Sox. We are so lucky that bad club did not kill the franchise and get it moved to Milwaukee or Seattle!!!!!!!!!!

:gulp: Go Fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:

I just assumed he had died.

It's odd that in 1970, the glamorous Leo Durocher got so much attention from the media that as much as I read about the Sox, I didn't learn until years later that Gutteridge was a former Durochur teammate.

Gutteridge was just an old man in charge of a bad baseball team as far as I could see. Bill Melton said he wasn't able to make the transition from being a friendly coach to the man in charge.

washington
10-06-2003, 04:16 PM
According to baseball-reference.com, 3 50's/60's era Sox coaches are still living: Don Gutteridge (91 years old); Ray Berres (96 yo) and ex-mgr. Al Lopez (95 yo). Must've been something in the water at Comiskey

Mammoo
10-06-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by washington
According to baseball-reference.com, 3 50's/60's era Sox coaches are still living: Don Gutteridge (91 years old); Ray Berres (96 yo) and ex-mgr. Al Lopez (95 yo). Must've been something in the water at Comiskey

That's friggin' amazing!!!

Here's to you, Old Folks!!! :gulp:

LuvSox
10-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by washington

Forget those ariplane and ATM races, race those guys around the infield.

ozzman
10-06-2003, 05:42 PM
I bet they can beat paulie to first