PDA

View Full Version : Open e-mail to Ken Williams

Lip Man 1
10-06-2003, 03:43 AM
Just FYI. His e-mail address is kwilliams@chisox.com

Dear Mr. Williams:

I don't really know what to say to you right now except that I'm feeling very frustrated. Even if the Cubs lose in the NLCS they have stuck a dagger deeper into the heart of the Sox franchise. Personally I think they are going to the World Series and my fear is that this will be the death knell for the Sox.

I'm not a reactionary. I have studied Sox history in detail for 43 seasons and have written many articles on them. This franchise now is at the most crucial point in its history.

What happens in the future depends on what you do in the next few months and what your boss allows you to do.

With respect, I urge you to tell him that contrary to his published comments since June 2002, Chicago has NOT always "been a Cubs town," (see the time period from the mid 50's through the mid 60's) and the Sox can compete with the Cubs if he wishes to!

The Cubs payroll is near 90 million, they paid top dollar for a top manager and acquired eight veteran players since the past off season.

I don't expect you to be able to raise the payroll to that level but it is absolutely unbelieveable that the Chicago White Sox have a lower payroll then the Minnesota Twins.

This is the nation's 3rd largest market, if this organization refuses to act like it is in that sized market, please ask the owner to sell the franchise.

I have followed this team for 43 years and am STILL waiting for a World Series, with luck the Florida Marlins could be in their second one in ten years!

No more excuses sir, or I assure you, if you thought it was difficult to draw fans since the White Flag Trade, wait till you see your attendence figures if the Sox pull back and don't take on the Cubs. You drew almost two million fans this past season. Sox fans have shown they care and will support you if you act like you care.

I wish you all the luck in the world in the near future and in the coming months.

Sincerely,
Mark Liptak
mliptak1@ida.net

Dan H
10-06-2003, 07:24 AM
I agree with this sentiment completely. The Sox cannot no longer survive with the huge credibility problems they currently have. I will write Williams myself.

LuvSox
10-06-2003, 08:03 AM
That guy gets a lot of open letters.

cornball
10-06-2003, 08:19 AM
Nice letter Lip, thank you, you speak for the majority in the letter.

hold2dibber
10-06-2003, 09:00 AM
I don't know why you're sending it to Williams. There's nothing in that letter that applies to him or his duties. Print it out, gets yourself an envelope and a stamp and send it to JR. All Williams is going to do is say "he might be right," delete it, and move on with his day. Nothing he can do about it (and if you think he's going to send it to his boss and ask him to up the payroll or sell the team, you're nuts).

Lip Man 1
10-06-2003, 02:14 PM
Hold;

Uncle Jerry has received such letter already. I sent one to him as soon as the Cubs clinched and Williams came out with his payroll statements.

and Williams might surprise you. He seems to speak plainly and with candor at least judging from his statements about the team, the late Manager Gandhi and his manuverings the past year.

He has a relationship with Uncle Jerry that goes back at least 15 years. It was Reinsdorf that showed up at Williams house and personally assured his parents that he would take care of their son (according to a published story) when he signed a Sox minor league contract.

Williams might be able to speak freely with him.

At the very least it didn't cost anything to try did it? I just lost a few moments of time in the early morning hours.

Lip

Hangar18
10-06-2003, 02:28 PM
That is an excellent letter, to the point, and very Timely
considering this Dark Moments we are entering. The thing that
has made me most fearful, is that most of OUR Future, is out
of our Hands. They better realize whats at stake here

bc2k
10-06-2003, 03:07 PM
Nice work Lip, keep it up.

hold2dibber
10-06-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Hold;

Uncle Jerry has received such letter already. I sent one to him as soon as the Cubs clinched and Williams came out with his payroll statements.

and Williams might surprise you. He seems to speak plainly and with candor at least judging from his statements about the team, the late Manager Gandhi and his manuverings the past year.

He has a relationship with Uncle Jerry that goes back at least 15 years. It was Reinsdorf that showed up at Williams house and personally assured his parents that he would take care of their son (according to a published story) when he signed a Sox minor league contract.

Williams might be able to speak freely with him.

At the very least it didn't cost anything to try did it? I just lost a few moments of time in the early morning hours.

Lip

As long as you sent a similar letter to JR, I'm happy, because the points you make are right on the money.

And you may be right about KW - I don't think he would come right out and tell JR to sell if he's not going to up the ante, but I do think he probably is secure enough to tell JR that he thinks raising the payroll is important.

The one (and only, as far as I can tell) good thing about the Cubs' otherwise horrifying success, is that it does put the heat on the Sox to improve. You think it was hard competing against the Cubs in this town when they were lovable losers? Well, now that they're lovable winners, it's going to be that much harder. The Sox organization will have to work that much harder to make a mark in this town now.

Brian26
10-06-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
That guy gets a lot of open letters.

LOL. Lip's been on Kenny's spam block list shouldergate (tm).

Greg1983
10-06-2003, 06:57 PM
I'm going to follow Lip's lead and email KW.

I doubt he'll ever see this, but if I can write my congressman, why not write the GM of a baseball team?

If anyone knows Reinsdorf's email, let me know and I'll send him one as well.

Here's what I'm sending him:

Mr. Williams,

I'm writing to you this evening in a state of immense frustration, as I know many others are as well. Many of us Sox fans are pained to see the success of the Cubs. No matter how this season ends for them, I know they have electrified their organization and the city of Chicago. I also know they have the nucleus in place to compete at a very high level for several more years.

I'm aware that as the team's general manager, you are not in charge of every decision regarding the team's payroll and finances. I'm also aware that I have no clue exactly what financial position the White Sox organization is in. I just urge you to remember something, and to mention this to your boss as we proceed through this offseason:

You have to spend money to make money.

I don't mean spend extravagantly or foolishly. We need good general managers to make good decisions with the money they have to spend. I believe you can and will make those good decisions. But the team must make a serious commitment, financially and otherwise, to win championships, or else the fans and the revenues will never come.

Please don't let Mr. Reinsdorf continue to put the cart before the horse. Give us a team with talent and stability. Give us an experienced manager to lead us into battle. In short, give us a product worth buying, and we'll buy it. We'll come back to the ballpark in the same droves in which we left it in the late 90's. But we've been waiting since 1959 for a home-field playoff win, let alone a pennant, and since 1917 for a championship. Expecting us as fans to take the initiative is as unrealistic as it is unfair.

I wish you all the best.

Nick@Nite
10-06-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
You think it was hard competing against the Cubs in this town when they were lovable losers? Well, now that they're lovable winners, it's going to be that much harder.

I almost threw up when reading the above line, because it is so true.

These are dark, stormy seas the White Sox Nation is sailing.

duke of dorwood
10-06-2003, 07:36 PM
The e mail shares the pain with someone who I feel has the same pain. He just works for a anesthesiologist who is numb to pain unless it strikes him in the wallet area. This mess we are in is ownerships fault. I'm sick of hearing about money before a winning team.

:reinsy

fans@whitesoxinteracive.com

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Love,

Jerry