PDA

View Full Version : How would you change as Sox fan if Cubs won?...

pudge
10-05-2003, 11:51 PM
I didn't think it would come to this, but amazingly it has. I don't think the Marlins have a shot in hell, so it's up to whichever AL team reaches the WS.... but... Lip's earlier thread about how the Cubs' success will effect the Sox got me thinking...

How would you change as a Sox fan if the Cubs won it all?

Personally, I think I would become a lot less enthusiastic. If Cub fans get the prize first, anything afterward becomes meaningless (unless the Sox rattle off multiple world championships).

Granted, I don't live in Chicago any longer, so it'd be easier to detach myself. I think I'd become more of a casual observer. I wouldn't even mind seeing them move to a city where they could get their own identity, and just let Chicago have their lovable Cubs. My dream was that someday we could win a title and reclaim a large part of the Chi-town fans, but that will never happen if the Cubs win the series.

Of course, I'm hoping the Marlins or Yanks don't let it come to that.

MRKARNO
10-05-2003, 11:52 PM
I think it would be pretty goddamn bad for a year and then it would be managable to be a sox fan

soxnut
10-06-2003, 12:16 AM
Honestly, it can't get any worse really. The Cubs, have already grabbed so much attention over the years for doing nothing but losing, that it won't make a difference. I don't see how their popularity would increase. I think the mystique of the "Lovabale Losers" would then be over.

And then, it would be "the poor White Sox, such losers...... let's hope someday they can win a World Series". Once the Cubs win, the media can move on to the next thing, which should be our Sox and their "gritty, passionate, blue collar style fans".

So, I'd be pretty bummed if the Cubs won it all, but all the hype will be gone after a year. Memory in the sports world is very short term--ask the Angels....... :smile:

JoseCanseco6969
10-06-2003, 12:18 AM
i dont know about losing the hype in a year, i couldnt imagine the cubs fans i know letting me forget it if they won it all. Lets just focus one game at a time, GO FISH!!!!!!!

VeeckAsInWreck
10-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Nobody thought the Marlins had a chance against the mighy Giants, but they proved us all wrong. Let's not count them out yet. Let the NLCS begin!

GO MARLINS!!!!!!!!

TommyJohn
10-06-2003, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by pudge
I didn't think it would come to this, but amazingly it has. I don't think the Marlins have a shot in hell, so it's up to whichever AL team reaches the WS.... but... Lip's earlier thread about how the Cubs' success will effect the Sox got me thinking...

Personally, I think I would become a lot less enthusiastic. If Cub fans get the prize first, anything afterward becomes meaningless (unless the Sox rattle off multiple world championships).

Granted, I don't live in Chicago any longer, so it'd be easier to detach myself. I think I'd become more of a casual observer. I wouldn't even mind seeing them move to a city where they could get their own identity, and just let Chicago have their lovable Cubs. My dream was that someday we could win a title and reclaim a large part of the Chi-town fans, but that will never happen if the Cubs win the series.

I'll tell you the truth. I'm outta here. I am no longer a fan of
the Unlovable Losers on the South Side. I am turning in my
fan membership right here and now. The reasons are many
and various, but I'll state a few:

This team is done. Kaput. Jerry Reinsdorf was half right. Chi-
cago hasn't always belonged to the Cubs, but it does now
and will until baseball is no longer played in America.

The Cubs will beat the Red Sox in this year's "Media Wet
Dream" World Series and have the stuff to dominate the
NL Central for the next several seasons. And how will the
Reinsdorf react? By running the franchise as if it were the
Lansing Lugnuts. Any of you who think that this will "push"
Reinsdorf "harder" are dreaming. They will continue to be
the pathetic, mediocre, low-budget operation that they are,
until the move to Portland, Oregon or Virginia or wherever
they are headed within the next five years.

I've just about had it up to my eyeballs with the proliferation
of foul, abusive articles like the one Viva Magglio posted in the
Parking Lot. I didn't read it, but I can imagine what it says.
Imagine what will be like once the Cubs win the World Series.
Also imagine media Cub-lovers (I won't mention names) doing
a gleeful tap-dance on the Sox' graves. By Chicago media
folks I mean all the out-of-towners who moved here from
elsewhere and embraced all the charm and goodness of the
Cubs and Wrigley.

So, rather than do the Lip thing and come here and bitch, moan
and crab about low budget ball and how Reinsdorf, the spawn
of Satan should do the rest of humanity a favor and die just so
the next egomaniacal, greedy owner can come in and run the
team in the exact same fashion; I will no longer be a fan.

I am totally disavowing and disabusing and releasing myself
of everything and anything that this frickin', no-good, worth-
less, gutless, good-for-nothing, low-budget loser franchise
stands for. There are far better and more worthwhile things
with which to get my blood pressure up over. The gutless,
worthless, poor-mouthing team is not one of them. They win.
I surrender.

To all the posters at WSI, it was great to read so many lively,
interesting, entertaining posts. You kept me entertained and
sometimes had me laughing my butt off during many a slow,
boring work night. I regret that I never met any of you in per-
son. Hangar, steff, PHG and many others sound like great
people to hang out with.

As for the Chicago White Sox, congratulations. You worked
long and hard to make yourselves the second fiddle in this
town and you have succeeded. Make sure you write your
recipies for success in a book. Every loser businessman look-
ing for an excuse for failure will snap it up in an instant. Call
the book, "Chicago Has Always Belonged To the Cubs! and
Other Excuses You Can Come Up With For Your Own Failures."
It'll be popular with some people, I'm sure.

In closing, I might shed a tear or two when the Tribune Co.
finally succeeds in driving you out of town and Jay Mariotti
dances on your grave. It will kind of be like seeing the child-
hood sweetheart that you've always had a crush on get
married. You knew there was never a chance for the two of
you, but you feel that heartache, anyway.

Will I become a Cub fan? Hell, no. I still hate them and their
fans. I just won't follow baseball at all. Better yet, I'll become
a Yankee fan. Well, I haven't really decided. I just know I'm
through with the South Side BUMS.

I want to say one more thing, but at the risk of being deleted,
I won't. I'll just state that I won't waste one more word or
emotion on those choking losers. They're not worth it.

S'long, y'all. Been fun.

MRKARNO
10-06-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by TommyJohn
S'long, y'all. Been fun.

All I can say is that you obviously dont have the fortitude to be a sox fan if that is your attitude

voodoochile
10-06-2003, 01:05 AM
S'long, y'all. Been fun.

You were probably always just biding your time until you could show your true blue roots anyway. Gutless is just one of the many words that comes to mind...

Shall I delete your account for you? Yes, that is a serious offer...

pudge
10-06-2003, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
Honestly, it can't get any worse really. The Cubs, have already grabbed so much attention over the years for doing nothing but losing, that it won't make a difference. I don't see how their popularity would increase. I think the mystique of the "Lovabale Losers" would then be over.

And then, it would be "the poor White Sox, such losers...... let's hope someday they can win a World Series". Once the Cubs win, the media can move on to the next thing, which should be our Sox and their "gritty, passionate, blue collar style fans".

So, I'd be pretty bummed if the Cubs won it all, but all the hype will be gone after a year. Memory in the sports world is very short term--ask the Angels....... :smile:

That's an interesting twist... we'd never have to hear "Cubs haven't won in 95 years, blah, blah, blah."

Then it should switch to, "Sox haven't won in 88 years, blah, blah..."

It'd be interesting to see if that actually happens.

pudge
10-06-2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
You were probably always just biding your time until you could show your true blue roots anyway. Gutless is just one of the many words that comes to mind...

Shall I delete your account for you? Yes, that is a serious offer...

Don't delete his account yet, it's just post-Flubbiewin stress syndrome. He'll be over it as soon as the Fish win game one. (please, please).

voodoochile
10-06-2003, 01:12 AM
Don't delete his account yet, it's just post-Flubbiewin stress syndrome. He'll be over it as soon as the Fish win game one. (please, please).

It was an offer. I am more than willing to help ban/delete/moderate anyone who honestly wants to have it happen. All one needs to do is ask...

cheeses_h_rice
10-06-2003, 01:21 AM
I'll tell you the truth. I'm outta here. I am no longer a fan of
the Unlovable Losers on the South Side. I am turning in my
fan membership right here and now. The reasons are many
and various, but I'll state a few:

This team is done. Kaput. Jerry Reinsdorf was half right. Chi-
cago hasn't always belonged to the Cubs, but it does now
and will until baseball is no longer played in America.

The Cubs will beat the Red Sox in this year's "Media Wet
Dream" World Series and have the stuff to dominate the
NL Central for the next several seasons. And how will the
Reinsdorf react? By running the franchise as if it were the
Lansing Lugnuts. Any of you who think that this will "push"
Reinsdorf "harder" are dreaming. They will continue to be
the pathetic, mediocre, low-budget operation that they are,
until the move to Portland, Oregon or Virginia or wherever
they are headed within the next five years.

I've just about had it up to my eyeballs with the proliferation
of foul, abusive articles like the one Viva Magglio posted in the
Parking Lot. I didn't read it, but I can imagine what it says.
Imagine what will be like once the Cubs win the World Series.
Also imagine media Cub-lovers (I won't mention names) doing
a gleeful tap-dance on the Sox' graves. By Chicago media
folks I mean all the out-of-towners who moved here from
elsewhere and embraced all the charm and goodness of the
Cubs and Wrigley.

So, rather than do the Lip thing and come here and bitch, moan
and crab about low budget ball and how Reinsdorf, the spawn
of Satan should do the rest of humanity a favor and die just so
the next egomaniacal, greedy owner can come in and run the
team in the exact same fashion; I will no longer be a fan.

I surrender.

people to hang out with.

As for the Chicago White Sox, congratulations. You worked
long and hard to make yourselves the second fiddle in this
town and you have succeeded. Make sure you write your
recipies for success in a book. Every loser businessman look-
ing for an excuse for failure will snap it up in an instant. Call
the book, "Chicago Has Always Belonged To the Cubs! and
Other Excuses You Can Come Up With For Your Own Failures."
It'll be popular with some people, I'm sure.

In closing, I might shed a tear or two when the Tribune Co.
finally succeeds in driving you out of town and Jay Mariotti
dances on your grave. It will kind of be like seeing the child-
hood sweetheart that you've always had a crush on get
married. You knew there was never a chance for the two of
you, but you feel that heartache, anyway.

Will I become a Cub fan? Hell, no. I still hate them and their
fans. I just won't follow baseball at all. Better yet, I'll become
a Yankee fan. Well, I haven't really decided. I just know I'm
through with the South Side BUMS.

I want to say one more thing, but at the risk of being deleted,
I won't. I'll just state that I won't waste one more word or
emotion on those choking losers. They're not worth it.

S'long, y'all. Been fun.

Is that the alcohol speaking, or just the rage that we all probably feel to some extent rising to the top?

Sox fans don't give up, IMO.

We may have our moments of "**** this," when we witness a less worthy team on the other side of town celebrate a 3-2 series win -- just the first step of 3, needed to win the World Series, mind you. That's a natural feeling. I myself am pretty bummed tonight, seeing our intracity competitors take that big first step in the postseason, a step that we haven't been able to do since 1917.

But buck up: the Flubs won't be winning **** this year. And, as in so many years' past, their fans will ACCEPT THAT AS SUCCESS. We Sox fans expect more, and will not settle until we reach that promised land of a World Series title.

The Flubs haven't won **** yet, and the Sox can very easily come out on top of this little race we have.

Suck it up. Ignore the papers and the taunts from your idiot, fairweather co-workers. It's not easy being a Sox fan, but that's what will make the ultimate reward of a World Series title that much sweeter.

Go Sox.

soxnut
10-06-2003, 01:25 AM
I'll tell you the truth. I'm outta here.
S'long, y'all. Been fun.

Don't let the door..................................BYE!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

WhiteSox = Life
10-06-2003, 01:49 AM
S'long, y'all. Been fun.

There are just some times when people decide they want to take a different route in life. If TommyJohn feels as if he can get more out of life, or make his life better by cutting the White Sox out of it, then by all means, let him. There is nothing more important in life than happiness and if he feels like he'll be better off without the Sox, then so be it. He may not have been the die-hard fan that a lot of individuals here are (or maybe he was just able to lessen the hold on him over time), but everyone must make their own decisions and he has decided to stop being a fan of the Chicago White Sox. Good luck in your future endeavors, TommyJohn, and may you live a better life without the Sox.

:smile:

Lip Man 1
10-06-2003, 02:32 AM
Soxnut says: "And then, it would be "the poor White Sox, such losers...... let's hope someday they can win a World Series". Once the Cubs win, the media can move on to the next thing, which should be our Sox and their "gritty, passionate, blue collar style fans".

Soxnut the reality of the Sox situation now more then ever is that they are going to be ignored. They have been ignored when they won (I use that in relative terms) and they are ignored when they lose.

They don't matter.

Part of that is bad luck, part of it is factors beyond the organization's control and much of it is factors that they did have the power to change but didn't, wouldn't or couldn't.

They simply don't matter and the Sox fans who are left can suffer in silence.

Not a pretty picture is it? but one that needs to be told.

Lip

jeremyb1
10-06-2003, 02:36 AM

I'm not willing to entertain that possibility right now.

FarWestChicago
10-06-2003, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip And told and told and told and told and told and told.... Right, Lip? :smile:

Lip Man 1
10-06-2003, 02:42 AM
Tommy John:

You don't like me or the way I approach the Sox problems and that's fine...that's your right.

But at least I have tried for a number of years to try to enact some change and continue discussion of this franchise.

Whether it's writing a letter to Uncle Jerry, contacting some media associates with story suggestions or just caring....at least give me credit for trying.

As for you, you're a piece of dung...a cynical, SOB who thinks he's hot crap because of his "witty sarcasim."

I agree with one of the previous posters, you're gutless and this site and what's left of this fandom is much better off without you around.

Give me your address and I'll be happy to send you a check for enough money so you can go out and get a few bottles of bourbon, maybe you'll drink them all at once. That should put you out of your misery, or better yet do us all a favor and become a Cubs fan.

To think you've got the gall to take as your handle the name of one of the best Sox pitchers, a guy who pitched a long time even after serious arm surgery because he loved the game a guy who had guts. Your a fraud.

For the love of God please leave.

Lip

CLR01
10-06-2003, 02:50 AM
Tommy John:

As for you, you're a piece of dung...a cynical, SOB who thinks he's hot crap because of his "witty sarcasim."

I agree with one of the previous posters, you're gutless and this site and what's left of this fandom is much better off without you around.

Give me your address and I'll be happy to send you a check for enough money so you can go out and get a few bottles of bourbon, maybe you'll drink them all at once. That should put you out of your misery, or better yet do us all a favor and become a Cubs fan.

Lip

Ahhh....Lip takes the high road. Classy.

ihatethecubs
10-06-2003, 03:11 AM
if the f***ing cubs win it all it won't change me as a sox fan at all, well except i'll probably hate the media 100 times more. and anybody who bails on my white sox if the cubs win should get their head kicked in hard. we take more b.s. than anybody, were the toughest fans in the world, and i just feel the more crap we go through, the prouder i am to say i'm a sox fan. lets just hope someday soon the question will be "how would you change as a sox fan if the sox won it all?"

StillMissOzzie
10-06-2003, 03:12 AM
Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

I don't think comparing the Angels from last year to any possible situations this year is meaningful. On the other hand, how did it feel to be a Mets fan when the Yankme's won it all those many times- especially whatever year it was that the Yankme's beat the Mets? How about a Giants fan when the A's won so many times? Or even to be a Dodgers fan when the Angels won last year?

Is Chicago that different? Is it because there's more deep-rooted disklike/ hatred between the Sox and the Scrubs? Or is it that both sides of town have been so "long-suffering" that comparisons to other cities just don't apply?

While I still fervently hope & cheer for the Marlins and the A's, BoSox, and/or Yankme's, I think that while 2004 would be miserable, it would have to end sometime. Wouldn't it?

SMO
:gulp: :gulp:

Bisco Stu
10-06-2003, 04:29 AM
The Flubs winning the WS would only make me a STRONGER Sox fan. The hatred would intensify, as would the dream of getting to the WS and knocking them off some year soon, should the Flubs become the "new Atlanta Braves."

soxtalker
10-06-2003, 06:51 AM
Take a deep breath and try to relax... I've been a Sox fan for a long time (early 60's). One thing theme that has held true over the years is that Cubs success has provided motivation for the Sox, who have always needed to provide a winner to draw fans. The Cubs haven't won the WS yet, but even if they do, we have to see how Sox management reacts.

Dan H
10-06-2003, 07:07 AM
The Cubbies winning only intensifies my feeling for the real need for change on the South Side. I don't want to hear about budgets or rebuilding. The present ownership has had the team for nearly a quarter of a century. Their old ways have failed. I will not accept inaction this offseason. I want to remain a fan as i have been since 1961, but I won't want to go out to the park if this team isn't serious about winning and winning now. We've waited so long for real successwe are now getting surpassed by the Cubs.

CLR01
10-06-2003, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker
The Cubs haven't won the WS yet, but even if they do, we have to see how Sox management reacts.

Are you sure about that? Judging by some of the posts here you would think they have just wrapped up their fifth straight.

idseer
10-06-2003, 09:24 AM
"How would you change as Sox fan if Cubs won?..."

the cubs have no influence over me as a sox fan. PERIOD!

chosk8
10-06-2003, 09:51 AM
So, I'd be pretty bummed if the Cubs won it all, but all the hype will be gone after a year. Memory in the sports world is very short term--ask the Angels.......

I agree, I'd be very bummed, but as far as the sports world having a short term memory, that may be. But I will guarantee, if the worst does happen and the cubs win it all, cubs fans will never let us forget. They've been loosing for 95 year and haven't let us forget that. Them winning would only be worse.

woodenleg
10-06-2003, 10:00 AM
Let me tell you something - my family have been Sox fans since they got off the boat.

My grandparents worked at the stockyards and Wisconsin Steel, only to lose their jobs, their pensions.

I had a great uncle who wouldn't root for the Sox because of 1919. But my family stayed the course, because we're not north siders and we don't live north side lives. The only thing that's been constant in our lives is the White Sox.

We've been through a lot of crap on the south side. I've been through seasons where they've sucked absolute crap.

My mom was vice-president of the Luis Aparicio fan club. Her first cousin was president.

When my grandpa was in ill health, he moved down to Tampa to be near his Sox in spring training. He died down there in a bowling alley.

I wouldn't think of giving up and throwing it all away, spitting on my grandparents' and great-grandparent's graves. They did not put up with years and years of b.s. for me to think of quitting. And not quitting because the Sox choked this year, but quitting because of the damned Cubs! Please! Have you no pride?

My grandfather would be proud of me for wearing my Sox hat today.

Procol Harum
10-06-2003, 10:07 AM
Tommy John:

You don't like me or the way I approach the Sox problems and that's fine...that's your right.

For the love of God please leave.

Lip

Glad you didn't take it personal, Lip.

Hangar18
10-06-2003, 11:19 AM

I surrender.

people to hang out with.

S'long, y'all. Been fun.

Tommy is just feeling the Extreme Frustration I know we've all felt from time to time. I was feeling like this Last Week. Before we
all get on a soapbox and condemn the guy, we might stand to look in the mirror..... I'll say this. This year has been the Most Frustrating in YEARS, The Media Sensationalizing the Cubs has not helped. (yesterday, media on the field at Turner Field, talking about the "thousands of cub fans" that were still in the stadium, unfortuneately, the camera panned backward of the fans, REVEALING ONLY A COUPLE HUNDRED PEOPLE BEHIND THE DUGOUT. NIce way to SENSATIONALIZE things NBC, WGN, FOX WLS.

Iwritecode
10-06-2003, 11:30 AM

I have to agree with pudge. I believe this is just a knee-jerk reaction to all the flub-mania occuring around us.

I'll admit, I've had a lot of these same thoughts run through my head. I've never actually stated them out loud, but they have occured. The only difference is they usually happen after a pathetic performance by the Sox and they usually only last about 5 minutes.

After that I'm back to my usually "long-suffering" self. :(:

Procol Harum
10-06-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I'll say this. This year has been the Most Frustrating in YEARS, The Media Sensationalizing the Cubs has not helped.

I think you put your finger on it exactly, Hangar. This has been the most frustrating year in quite a while. Of all those frustrating years before, the only real parallel would have to be the '84 season in that we also had to deal with the grim possibility of the Grubs in the Series while our own Sox had just fallen flat on their collective butts after the near-miss in '83. It's bad enough to have the Sox disappoint, but to do it when the Cubs are prospering rubs salt in the wound. Well, it turned out ok in '84 (Steve Garvey & Leon Durham--woo-hoo!) here's hopin' that the Marlins can rise to the occasion.

DonkeyKongerko
10-06-2003, 11:36 AM
I feel now is the time for Sox fans to shine. The true fans of baseball who are not simply homers and bandwagoners.

I feel I have watched baseball closely enough for the past decade or so to appreciate a good ballgame, a good series, or a good season and give it due recognition. Yes I am a White Sox fan and I will root against the Cubs but not to the point where my hopes and dreams rest on the Cubs' elimination.

I think if the Cubs do win the WS, the NLCS, or nothing more, I will still be able to congratulate the fans because I would want the same if the Sox were making a run. We can show ourselves to be the proverbial "better man" and not become consumed by this envy that eats away at us during times like these.

joecrede
10-06-2003, 12:14 PM
Soxnut says: "And then, it would be "the poor White Sox, such losers...... let's hope someday they can win a World Series". Once the Cubs win, the media can move on to the next thing, which should be our Sox and their "gritty, passionate, blue collar style fans".

Soxnut the reality of the Sox situation now more then ever is that they are going to be ignored. They have been ignored when they won (I use that in relative terms) and they are ignored when they lose.

They don't matter.

Part of that is bad luck, part of it is factors beyond the organization's control and much of it is factors that they did have the power to change but didn't, wouldn't or couldn't.

They simply don't matter and the Sox fans who are left can suffer in silence.

Lip

With all due respect Lip residing in Idaho I don't think you can get an accurate reading on Chicago's level of interest in the Sox.

A 17% increase in attendance and near record television ratings for a team that played horribly in the first half says they do matter and will continue to matter.

voodoochile
10-06-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by idseer

the cubs have no influence over me as a sox fan. PERIOD!

I couldn't have said it better. It's kind of funny because my best and oldest friend like me moved here from Ohio at a young age. So we both follow the Buckeyes, Bears and Bulls. But we diverge at baseball. He being a flubbie fan (he claims this is due to my influence when I was young and naive) and I being a Sox fan (duh).

We hold season tickets to the Bears together and got to see the first victory yesterday at beautiful new Soldier Field. Then we went back to his house and grilled some steaks and he watched the flubbies with his wife and kids, so I did too. He is doing all those things that I do when the Sox are in a tense important game, pacing, yelling, punching pillows, jumping up to yell when Lofton's catch was ruled a trap, etc. I'm just watching the game like a casual fan of baseball, not rooting for either team, just rooting for a good game (and I thought it was a great series). Interesting to be completely removed emotionally from the outcome of the game, yet still care about the outcome.

The flubbies won't make a difference to the Sox if the Sox just win games. We fans don't need anything but that...

FarWestChicago
10-06-2003, 12:31 PM

the cubs have no influence over me as a sox fan. PERIOD! Well said, id. I realize I don't have to put up with as much nauseating stuff as the locals, but even if I did it wouldn't change anything about me and the Sox.

Dick Allen
10-06-2003, 12:33 PM
At this particular point, current events will definitely change me as a Sox fan. If the Northside punks (and their pathetic fans) advance to the WS, it would cause me to try to ignore baseball and try to concentrate on the "more important things" in life. Why? Because, as Hangar would tell you, the media will be in our faces with this, non-stop ,with their Cubbie love affair, and maybe for a longer time than any of us would care to admit. Right now, I can't even pick up a paper or watch TV. And to think that maybe this will inspire the Sox to make moves necessary to getting to the WS? Well, yeah, look what's happened over the last 44 years.
All of a sudden, it's going to be so easy and cut and dried to get there? Sorry, but when it comes to teams that I root for, especially the Sox, pessimism is the word of the day.

alohafri
10-06-2003, 12:56 PM
I've been turning off the radio and/or changing the TV channel when I hear the word "cubs"...I don't even know the score of last night's game.

But this is week two working in scrub fan hell. My boss, the idiot scrub fan, has been relentless since the scrubs won the division. 7 hours a day/5 days a week I have to hear all the crap about the scrubs. Those of us forced to listen to this all day for weeks, it gets on your nerves like nothing else. I came to work this morning with an attitude that I would not let it bother me.
But it does.

Those of you far away from chicago need not try and tell the rest of us that we can get through this. It is hell and it is getting worse and worse. I may need to call my doctor and have him prescribe some happy pills. I don't know how else to get through this.

Mrs. Aloha

ewokpelts
10-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Hey,

My buddy has pretty much blocked the Sox out of his mind, until they get thier $#@$ together. He's also a Giants fan, and is depressed that his beloved Barry lost to the Fightin' Fish.

As for me, I think I'll be real depressed, and then start what may be a one man campaign to rebuild any credibilitay with that ball club on Shields. Which means I'll be trying to drag ANYONE I know to games. It'll be bleak, but it's what I got to do.
Gene

Lip Man 1
10-06-2003, 01:36 PM
Joe Crede:

With respect, I'm not trying to rip on you, I'm on the phone on a daily basis with a number of sources in the media, at lower levels of the Sox organization and with friends and family. I also read all the Chicago papers on a daily basis.

The world is a much smaller place now with the Internet, e-mail, and WGN off the satellite. Unlike thirty years ago you don't need to actually live in Chicago to get an accurate read on the situation.

Besides all you need do is read these posts, particularly the ones from the folks who have been stating all year that the Sox have been ignored. That's primarilly what I was referring to in my comments.

and I'd venture to say if the Sox don't make a serious effort to take on the Cubs head- on, this off season as well as lose a number of their free agents, I think you'll find the attendence dropping to the levels immediately after the White Flag Trade.

We'll see of course, maybe Uncle Jerry will get motivated by the Cub success...but I doubt it. History shows that he didn't change his policy after 1984, 1989 and 1998.

He didn't raise payroll, sign significant free agents or make major organization changes then and I don't think he'll do so now.

Lip

alohafri
10-06-2003, 02:21 PM
I would hate the bastards and their "fans" even more than I already do. There is nothing worse than a sCrUB fan after a sCrUB victory.

Dan H
10-06-2003, 02:33 PM
Joe Crede:

With respect, I'm not trying to rip on you, I'm on the phone on a daily basis with a number of sources in the media, at lower levels of the Sox organization and with friends and family. I also read all the Chicago papers on a daily basis.

The world is a much smaller place now with the Internet, e-mail, and WGN off the satellite. Unlike thirty years ago you don't need to actually live in Chicago to get an accurate read on the situation.

Besides all you need do is read these posts, particularly the ones from the folks who have been stating all year that the Sox have been ignored. That's primarilly what I was referring to in my comments.

and I'd venture to say if the Sox don't make a serious effort to take on the Cubs head- on, this off season as well as lose a number of their free agents, I think you'll find the attendence dropping to the levels immediately after the White Flag Trade.

We'll see of course, maybe Uncle Jerry will get motivated by the Cub success...but I doubt it. History shows that he didn't change his policy after 1984, 1989 and 1998.

He didn't raise payroll, sign significant free agents or make major organization changes then and I don't think he'll do so now.

Lip

Some fans say it doens't make any difference what the Cubs do. But it does make a huge difference as evident by some of the posts. We probably shouldn't be obsessed about the Cubs, but we are, and that is not going to change.

I agree with Lip. If the Sox are not motivated by the Cub success, the team will be hurting. Seeing the Cubs in the playoffs only makes me want to see the Sox return all the more. And with the Cubs winning this series, it raises the bar. Chicago teams can win in the post season. That concept is not illegal. Hope Springs Eternal went out with the hula hoop.

We as fans are not obligated to show our loyalty. The organization needs to show its loyalty to us. If it responds by not taking some real action it will show what it thinks of us, which wouldn't be much.

The White Sox did some positive things this year, and they need to build on that, not sit by while the Cubs really take over the city. The team doesn't have enough die hard fans to fill the stadium through another rebuilding period.

If the organization isn't serious about going to a World Series, sell to someone who is. I will not be impressed by another win total in the mid '80s.

joecrede
10-06-2003, 02:37 PM
Lip,

The Cubs owners also happen to own a newspaper, a radio station, and a TV station. The Sox are going to be ignored by a good portion of the Chicago media whether the Cubs win or not. The Cubs winning doesn't change that. Simply, it can't get worse.

On the topic of being ignored, why should Sox fans limit their information/discussion of the team to the Chicago media? As you correctly pointed out, the internet has made the world a smaller place. The internet also provides terrific alternatives to mainstream media. Places where there is excellent analysis and debate. Sox fans just have to think outside the box moreso than most when we want to discuss our favorite team, but hey nobody said the Sox fan thing would be easy.

eshunn2001
10-06-2003, 02:58 PM
Baseball season is over as far I am concerned. Did you guys(and ladies) see those Bears yesterday?? 13-3?? LOL. can't wait til baseball season starts up again.

The Cubs winning means nothing to me. GO SOX

KingXerxes
10-06-2003, 03:30 PM
As a White Sox fan, the only way a Cub pennant would change me is that I'd be a dissappointed we weren't able to do it - that's all. As a matter of fact, I'm feeling a bit dissappointed now that we've won absolutely nothing in the post season in my life, and I've never known the feeling that Cub fans have at this moment. Not jealousy mind you, just a profound emptiness.

I don't think the Cubs success will have too much bearing on the White Sox organization either. I don't see Reinsdorf and Williams breaking out some super-secret manuel entitled "How to Win a Pennant".

I do think, even though they've only gotten through the NLDS, that this series with Atlanta could have a very profound effect on the Cubs however. Up until last night, they had proven absolutely nothing - but now that's changed. Wood and Prior - hell the whole roster for that matter - can stake the claim to having playoff experience, and sucessful playoff experience at that. Baker said it well last night after the game when he talked about how their good outings can effect them over the entirety of their respective careers - that can only bode well for the Cubs in the years to come.

As for the White Sox, they've somehow got to get past the "lump in their throat" mentality that they seem to acquire every time they get to the post-season. Hell we even saw that mentality in the Minnesota series that effectively eliminated us.

Yesterday, the Cubs learned to win a big, big game. We haven't yet. And I feel empty.

chisox56
10-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Well since they say that hell would freeze over and the world would end i wouldn't change at all.

idseer
10-06-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Dan H
Some fans say it doens't make any difference what the Cubs do. But it does make a huge difference as evident by some of the posts. We probably shouldn't be obsessed about the Cubs, but we are, and that is not going to change.

I agree with Lip. If the Sox are not motivated by the Cub success, the team will be hurting. Seeing the Cubs in the playoffs only makes me want to see the Sox return all the more. And with the Cubs winning this series, it raises the bar. Chicago teams can win in the post season. That concept is not illegal. Hope Springs Eternal went out with the hula hoop.

respectfully ...
what kind of logic is that? it makes a huge difference as evident by some of the posts? yeah, the people who say it makes a difference to them, it's a difference. those who say it doesn't .... it doesn't! you make it sound like we're wrong. we're not wrong. you throw that 'WE' around as if there're no individuals here. WE aren't obsessed .... YOU are! i don't belong to any gang. and obviously a lot of others don't either.

also, why should the sox be motivated by the cubs? how are all the cities with only one team motivated? either the organization wants to try to put a serious competitor out there or it doesn't. the sox success has NOTHING do do with the cubs no matter how often you say it. when the sox get an owner who wants to win ... we'll win! and when we do, people will show up. i think those of you blaming the cubs for all the sox woes (or even a portion) are just looking for scapegoats. the cubs don't make us stink ... we do!

wulfy
10-06-2003, 07:12 PM
I'm mostly a non-posting lurker here, but I thought I'd weigh in on this subject. I am a Sox fan and I try to simply ignore the Cubs and thier fans at all times. I take the Cubs "wrap" off the sport page in the Tribune - and I've got a fabulous sports page inside with no mention of the North Side ball club. When the Cubs dominate both sport radio stations here, when then it's time for The Loop or XRT.

I like being a Sox fans - it makes me different than every other yahoo in this City. In my office of about 50 guys, there are two of us who are Sox fans - and I like it that way. I get frustrated with this team like everybody else on this board, but I'll be back again in March - digging through the papers to see how Josh Stewart's arm is feeling.

guillen4life13
10-06-2003, 08:05 PM
I know lots of you know this, but I'm a high schooler in Oak Park, which is a very Scrub-happy town with lots of blind Cub lovers.

You want to know the truth? Today a Cubs fan threatened to punch me because I called the Cubs "the scrubs." The worst about it is that he was serious. And earlier that day, I asked him who their 3rd baseman was. Guess what? The jagoff didn't know! That's a little hard to ignore. In a high school where scrub fans not just outnumber, but probably are up on a ratio of 10:1... it's kind of depressing to have these guys taunting you in your face.

My general reply is, "At least we don't cheat." They ignore that.

They keep on giving me crap about the jerk-offs who charged Gamboa and the ump... and I keep reminding them that that guy who charged the ump had gotten drunk at Wrigley Field, and was a Cubs fan. Of course, they conveniently ignore that... again.

That just makes me want to see the scrubs lose even more. I want them to go to game 7 in the NLCS and have their asses laid on a plate in extra innings by the Fish. Then let the A's go to the series against the Marlins... and let the best team win.

idseer
10-06-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
I know lots of you know this, but I'm a high schooler in Oak Park, which is a very Scrub-happy town with lots of blind Cub lovers.

You want to know the truth? Today a Cubs fan threatened to punch me because I called the Cubs "the scrubs." The worst about it is that he was serious. And earlier that day, I asked him who their 3rd baseman was. Guess what? The jagoff didn't know! That's a little hard to ignore. In a high school where scrub fans not just outnumber, but probably are up on a ratio of 10:1... it's kind of depressing to have these guys taunting you in your face.

My general reply is, "At least we don't cheat." They ignore that.

They keep on giving me crap about the jerk-offs who charged Gamboa and the ump... and I keep reminding them that that guy who charged the ump had gotten drunk at Wrigley Field, and was a Cubs fan. Of course, they conveniently ignore that... again.

That just makes me want to see the scrubs lose even more. I want them to go to game 7 in the NLCS and have their asses laid on a plate in extra innings by the Fish. Then let the A's go to the series against the Marlins... and let the best team win.

ok. this is a pet peeve of mine. not a big deal but as long as it's brought up ....
the reason he offered to rearrange your face is because you insulted him. why are you so surprised? i'm sure it would be different if he'd been a friend. but apparently you felt you could insult this 'jagoff's' taste without consequences. some people will literally kill you for this seemingly small thing. maybe you should confine your insults to the web .... where you're safe!

almost everyone on here has a real problem refering to them by their name. the cubs!
i KNOW you don't like 'the big skirt' or 'the white sux'.
how's it any different?

Chicago Derby
10-06-2003, 08:51 PM
I boycotted the Cubune about two years ago, and now I'm boycotting (for good) WGN TV. I'm not watching the local news on any channel until this **** is over and done.

The sad part to me is...and I hope I'm dead wrong...JR won't wake up and make the changes he should have years ago...if he didn't do it then, he won't do it now. Why would the Cubs winning anything (or even going deep in the playoffs, only to lose) affect JR when the Cubs have been the media darlings all along?

To be perfectly blunt, we have an owner who doesn't give a ****.

Someone with some money, intelligence and caring offer to buy this team PLEASE (but keep it here).

Chicago Derby
(the downtown filly)

poorme
10-06-2003, 09:08 PM
wouldn't matter to me. actually, i might have to go out and get a new sox hat.

TornLabrum
10-06-2003, 09:14 PM
Since I just got in, I'll respond to the original question. What the Cubs do has no affect on me as a Sox fan. I've been wearing my Sox jacket everywhere I go since the playoffs began and will continue to do so.

The Cubs, as far as I'm concerned might as well be on another planet. If The Score or even the Sox own radio flagship station, wants to go to an "all Cubs all the time format," I'll turn on another radio station or put on a CD. I don't care what the Cubs do, and I certainly don't have to listen to anyone else talking about them on the local media outlets.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-06-2003, 09:51 PM
As my column this week notes, I'm a Sox Fan for the long haul. Whatever the Flubbies do or don't do has no effect. All the media nonsense the past week has forced me to modify my routine, but not too much.

For example, my Cubune Sports section comes with 8 pages of Flubbie coverage wrapped on the outside. I simply take those 8 pages off, toss it in the recycle bin, and go about my usual reading of the sports page--Flubbie free. This is so convenient, I kind of wish they could do this during the regular season, too. Just keep putting all the Flubbie coverage on the same 1-2 pages and I can get a "purified" daily sports fix.

As for local TV news and the radio... forget it. Just watch BBC America and FoxSportsWorld, and listen to MusicMatch internet radio. I keep a sunny demeanor all day long.

:gulp:

Bisco Stu
10-06-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
I think you put your finger on it exactly, Hangar. This has been the most frustrating year in quite a while. Of all those frustrating years before, the only real parallel would have to be the '84 season in that we also had to deal with the grim possibility of the Grubs in the Series while our own Sox had just fallen flat on their collective butts after the near-miss in '83. It's bad enough to have the Sox disappoint, but to do it when the Cubs are prospering rubs salt in the wound. Well, it turned out ok in '84 (Steve Garvey & Leon Durham--woo-hoo!) here's hopin' that the Marlins can rise to the occasion.

Imagine being a Sox/Mets fan in 1984, if you know your MLB history.

84 was also the year the Urinal became "appreciated" by yuppies as "nostalgia" (I blame Reagan trying to turn the 80's into the 50's).

Before 1984 the Urinal was generally regarded as a dump, having grown up on the Nort Side, I know this to be fact.

soxnut
10-07-2003, 12:17 AM
" (I blame Reagan trying to turn the 80's into the 50's).

I love the 80's and I wish I'd lived in the 50's.....................

But anyway............I went for a walk tonight in my downtown area of Lansing, Illinois, wearing my Sox sweatshirt. As I was walking along, there were a group of people in their late teens early 20's hanging out. And I'm thinking "oh great, what am I in for?" But whattaya know, one of the guys see my Sox sweatshirt and says "yeah White Sox!!!!!! #### the Cubs........yeah White Sox" and we high-fived................oh yeah, everything is gonna be alright :D:

sox_fan_forever
10-07-2003, 12:28 AM
I don't think the Cubs winning the World Series would affect me that much. If anything, I think it would make me a more passionate Sox fan, and I think I'm pretty passionate now. I am definitely rooting for the Marlins, but there is part of me that is starting not to care about non-Sox baseball. The way I see it is, yeah, if the Cubs win it all the media and their fans will go on for years about it. But at the same time we won't have to hear any more about stupid curses and long suffering fans. I think that's why there is a little bit of me that thinks a Cubs-Red Sox Series wouldn't be all bad. It would be hell while it's going on, but in the long run (hopefully) I won't have to hear about all their stupid stuff anymore.

Dan H
10-07-2003, 10:20 AM
respectfully ...
what kind of logic is that? it makes a huge difference as evident by some of the posts? yeah, the people who say it makes a difference to them, it's a difference. those who say it doesn't .... it doesn't! you make it sound like we're wrong. we're not wrong. you throw that 'WE' around as if there're no individuals here. WE aren't obsessed .... YOU are! i don't belong to any gang. and obviously a lot of others don't either.

also, why should the sox be motivated by the cubs? how are all the cities with only one team motivated? either the organization wants to try to put a serious competitor out there or it doesn't. the sox success has NOTHING do do with the cubs no matter how often you say it. when the sox get an owner who wants to win ... we'll win! and when we do, people will show up. i think those of you blaming the cubs for all the sox woes (or even a portion) are just looking for scapegoats. the cubs don't make us stink ... we do!

I will agree with you that we need an owner who wants to win. I also agree the Sox blew the chance to win the AL central not the Cubs.

I also never said everybody feels as I do. I said many do, and from what I see it is a majority if not a large minority.

My main point is this: If the Sox have a hard time competing in this town when the Cubs are losing, what is the team going to do if the Cubbies go to the World Series? Believe me it makes a difference especially if the owner doesn't feel he can make money in this environment.

My last point: Fans have not returned as many have hoped. That is not a reflection of the fans but of an organization that doesn't understand its own fan base. It needs to be turned around and it won't happen if Jerry Reinsdorf doesn't respond to Cub mania. That is reality and it has nothing to do with any other franchise.

woodenleg
10-07-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
" (I blame Reagan trying to turn the 80's into the 50's).

I love the 80's and I wish I'd lived in the 50's.....................

But anyway............I went for a walk tonight in my downtown area of Lansing, Illinois, wearing my Sox sweatshirt. As I was walking along, there were a group of people in their late teens early 20's hanging out. And I'm thinking "oh great, what am I in for?" But whattaya know, one of the guys see my Sox sweatshirt and says "yeah White Sox!!!!!! #### the Cubs........yeah White Sox" and we high-fived................oh yeah, everything is gonna be alright :D:

That's cool! I'm in Cal City, and some clueless neighbor painted the Cubs logo on his front hood.

I try to ignore the Cubs crap, but when I see stuff like this on the south side, when our parents and grandparents busted their butts as Sox fans, it sends me into a rage.

Good to see some people are being raised right by their parents, just like my momma learned me the Ways of the White Sox.

joeywpb
10-07-2003, 12:03 PM
The Marlins DO have a shot in hell. I was at game 3 and 4 of the NLDS in miami, and it was amazing. They are my 2nd(and local) team-we all know whos first. I think everyone is over looking the Marlins, and thats when they play there best. If you are a betting person put some $ on the fish. Sure I am bias, but I was at game 7 when the Marlins won it all(1997). I realized that watching the indians lose(as a sox fan) was just as fun as watching the marlins win. I will feel like I am at comiskey this weekend with all these flub "fans" sitting all around me(the windy city classic). I missed living up there, but atleast I don't have cubs baseball being shoved on me.

Tom in Boston
10-07-2003, 02:33 PM
Hey Mrs. Aloha,

I may not be in Chicago right now, but I have a Scrub fan for a roommate and a family full of Scrub fans calling and e-mailing on a regular basis - does that count? :D:

joeywpb
10-07-2003, 03:09 PM
From your name I am lead to believe you live in Boston. It has to sux everytime someone says "sox" they mean the red sox. Most of you who live in Chi-town have scrub "fans" as "friends", but just wait a week and everything will be back to normal. It will be tough wearing my sox hat(visor), and being on probation. Meaning there will be "words".

Paulwny
10-07-2003, 03:26 PM
With JR's lack of $$ commitment to the sox I find it hard to believe that no one, other then me, could see the cubs as a better team then the sox.

They both play in equally bad divisions and the Trib saw the opportunity to take over the city and put a nail in the sox coffin by increasing payroll.

It's now in JR's lap, either spend some $$ on a few crow bars to remove the nail and awaken the corpse or go on thinking that his way of thinking is still the right way.

Hangar18
10-07-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

They both play in equally bad divisions and the Trib saw the opportunity to take over the city and put a nail in the sox coffin by increasing payroll.

It's now in JR's lap, either spend some $$ on a few crow bars to remove the nail and awaken the corpse or go on thinking that his way of thinking is still the right way.

Hehh heh, Wake Up Dead :angry:

IronFisk
10-07-2003, 04:25 PM
I'm DAMN PROUD to be a Sox fan - this is when the rubber meets the road - who's gonna slide off other than Tommy-boy?? Just got my authentic 1983 All-Star patch from e-bay to sew on my uni, and I'm feelin' pretty good - hey, Manuel's GONE too!!

Geez, the sCrUBS have not even beat the flyin' fish yet! This is LONG from being over, and I really see a HUGE hill for them. The way the Marlins are playing, I doubt the flubs will get in the WS. If they do somehow, the Yankmee's will wipe em' up!

So, lets all just remember that we very well could be in this same position next year, and I really think we will. With a better manager, I think this team will tear it up.

Whatever happens though, I WILL NOT lessen as a Sox fan because our nemesis gets hot - what kind of f'in loyalty is that?

GO SOX...GO FISH!!! :D:

adsit
10-07-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Tom in Boston
Hey Mrs. Aloha,

I may not be in Chicago right now, but I have a Scrub fan for a roommate and a family full of Scrub fans calling and e-mailing on a regular basis - does that count? :D:

Oh, yeah... that counts. Poor you, can't get away from it.

Is it too late to call your housing office (though I'm just guessin' you're going to school here) and get a new roommate? You shouldn't have to suffer through that.

I've been laying low lately... taking a little vacation, meeting some new people, and mostly ignoring this travesty. I was thinking I'd live vicariously through the thrills experienced by my Red Sox fan friends, but they've started talking out loud about their dreams of a Loveable Loser Series, and I can't deal. At all.

To answer the originally posted question... if anything, I'll be an even stronger Sox fan. I forget who was using it here as a sig, but it sums up my thoughts quite well...

Sox fans, like the Marines, the few the proud
Cub fans, like cockroaches, step on a few, a few more come out

Chicago peeps, stay strong. Go Marlins!

guillen4life13
10-07-2003, 05:28 PM
ok. this is a pet peeve of mine. not a big deal but as long as it's brought up ....
the reason he offered to rearrange your face is because you insulted him. why are you so surprised? i'm sure it would be different if he'd been a friend. but apparently you felt you could insult this 'jagoff's' taste without consequences. some people will literally kill you for this seemingly small thing. maybe you should confine your insults to the web .... where you're safe!

almost everyone on here has a real problem refering to them by their name. the cubs!
i KNOW you don't like 'the big skirt' or 'the white sux'.
how's it any different?

Let me first say that I understand what you are saying.

But... when I called the Cubs "The Scrubs," I was not talking to this kid. So, in a sense, you're right, but also in a sense, it's like I'm forced to completely hide my allegiences to the Sox until the Cubs either win or get eliminated. Everyone who has ever interacted with me pretty much knows I'm a Sox fan, and they're giving me hell for it.

I don't like Frank being called the "Big Skirt" or the Sox being called the "White Sux," but it's not like I'm going to pick a fight with someone over it. Only time I've ever almost gotten into a fight with someone in regards to the whole Sox/Cubs issue was when this Cubs fan kid I know took my Sox hat and put it in a puddle of mud (in which I was the one who was threatening to kick the guy's ass).

But, to sum this post up: I understand what you're saying, and I know to take your advice... but at the same time, I don't like the fact that what you say is fact. In other words... I wish things weren't the way they were.

But then again, don't we all?

Rocklive99
10-07-2003, 05:31 PM
How would you change as Sox fan if Cubs won?...

It would give me higher expectations for next years White Sox team, and hope that the team plays more motivation and that it has something to prove.

harwar
10-07-2003, 06:03 PM
Whats' the big ****ing deal anyway?I fully expect the cubs to at least get to the World Series but its not the end of the world for White Sox fans.I'll still have my season tickets and we'll go as often as we can and although i'm not the physical force i once was i'll never back down from any stinkin cub fan so long as i can draw breath.To me its nothing less than war.I know that fans will be deserting to the other side because some people just can't stand the stress of fighting on a loosing side but to me its simple.I'm a lifelong White Sox fan and i'll likely die one,all others are the enemy.

FarmerAndy
10-07-2003, 06:27 PM
First off, I'm rooting for the fighting fish big-time. I want the Cubs to fall flat. But while we talk about how it would affect the Sox if the Cubs make the World Series, has anybody stopped to think about how it might affect the Cubs? It could really ruin their entire way of existance.

Try and follow with me.

Remember the San Fransisco Chronicle article from just a couple of weekes ago? It talked about how the Red Sox and Cubs both embrace this idea of being long suffering fans. I forget who wrote the article, but there was a link to it posted on another thread. In the end the writer said that he'd take a White Sox fan any day. White Sox fans have never turned losing into something romantic.

The attitude about Sox fans in this city has always been that we are bitter. We get mad when we lose, rather than wax poetic about it. The Cubs fan base on the other hand have always been labeled as the eternal optimist. They have handeled years of futility in a different way. They have this over dramatic notion that their long stretch of misery is somehow poetic, and it ends every year by the posibility of hope that next year brings. I know, the whole thing really makes me want to puke too. SO, WHAT HAPPENS IF THE CUBS MAKE THE WORLD SERIES, OR ACTUALLY WIN IT? Their whole idea of being long suffering fans will be over. The next time they have a losing season, they can't turn it into some kind of dramatic tragedy that continues to torture them. They will have tasted post season success, and want more. They won't expect to win every year in their same old "next year is our year" kind of way, but rather they will TRULY expect to win. And when they don't win, we may see them start to show signs of the same bitter attitude we seem to have when we lose. No more eternal optimism, we may actually see bitter Cub fans. Their whole delusion that losing can somehow be loveable will be forever shattered.

Maybe I'm way off base, but I think that post season success for the Cubs could be the end of their world as they know it.

soxnut
10-07-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
First off, I'm rooting for the fighting fish big-time. I want the Cubs to fall flat. But while we talk about how it would affect the Sox if the Cubs make the World Series, has anybody stopped to think about how it might affect the Cubs? It could really ruin their entire way of existance

FarmerAndy......I've been saying the something similar in this thread and others. Their "mystique" will be ruined. They will be just another team that has won a championship. Big deal. :D:
:D:

soxwon
10-07-2003, 07:49 PM
honestly i think the MARLINS are going to really surprise the CUBS. tonight i see the FISH winning, and one of the DYNAMIC DUO will lose a game in this series.
FLORIDA IS UNDERATED they whooped SF- i never thiought possible.
the Cubs magic has to hit a roadblock- How the hell did WE beat them 4 games.
IT CAN BE DONE- I really have a good feeling about the MARVELOUS MARLINS.
just have faith people- watch the game and channel your soxpower into the FISH.
keep saying Conine your gonna do it!!!
Castilla your gonna do it!!!
GO PUDGE your gonna belt one.
believe in the faith of mental thoughts(maybe i am the mental one lol)
just BELIEVE ok guys.
if the cubs load the bases say to yourself FLORIDA your gonna get out of this.
lets give it a try ok
DA REVERAND-JUST BELIEVE

soxwon
10-07-2003, 09:05 PM
see positive thinking-didnt i call it in my last post!!!
ami the only believer?

guillen4life13
10-07-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by soxwon
Castilla your gonna do it!!!

I think you mean Castillo. Castilla is a thing of the NLDS. Castillo is the NLCS. :cool:

flo-B-flo
10-07-2003, 10:33 PM
[i]Originally posted by voodoochile I'm just watching the game like a casual fan of baseball, not rooting for either team, just rooting for a good game (and I thought it was a great series). Interesting to be completely removed emotionally from the outcome of the game, yet still care about the outcome.

The flubbies won't make a difference to the Sox if the Sox just win games. We fans don't need anything but that... [/B] ALL my friends out here are crumb fans and this is the approach I took to the cubgasm. I agree we just need our guys to win games. We don't care to be lovable losers thats why we are better fans and winners.

3rdgensoxfan
10-07-2003, 11:56 PM
I wouldn't. . . .It's as simple as that.

MRKARNO
10-08-2003, 12:08 AM
Well the Marlins are giving us hope that we wont even need to worry about this

Dan H
10-08-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
With JR's lack of $$ commitment to the sox I find it hard to believe that no one, other then me, could see the cubs as a better team then the sox.

I agree with this opinion. It is not just that the Cubs may go the World Series, it will be how the Sox respond. If the Sox had won something meaningful lately, this wouldn't be that big a problem. But going to the playoffs once every ten years is no solution.

I will never be a Cubs fan. That doesn't mean that I will be happy with a team that just plods along with hopes of winning a weak division. It is time build a tradition on the South Side, a winning tradition. Expecting fans to just wait for success will not work.

soxguy
10-12-2003, 12:40 AM
Why does ANY true sox fan care about what happens on the northside of the city or in the papers? If you are a sox fan you are a sox fan. The cubs are in another league, they just happen to share the same city. Who cares. God bless. I grew up on the nw side of chicago, I am not a southsider by any stretch of the imagination........but I have always and will always be a Chicago White Sox fan! No matter how trendy or "cool" or "in" it is to follow the warm and fuzzy media dubbed cubs, I could never jump in their direction, i'd rather jump off a bridge. LISTEN all true sox fans......we are all mad as hell at how our team choked in the stretch, and we all feel a little betrayed by our orginization, but stay the course. Do not discount who you are, what you stand for, what you like. The reason we are ticked is because we are all sooo very passionate about our team. Its ok, be pissed.....take it out on the teams that should matter to us next season i.e. royals,TWINS,TIGERS etc. When we finally win a world championship it will be that much sweeter !

Lip Man 1
10-12-2003, 12:13 PM
Sox Guy says: "When we finally win a world championship it will be that much sweeter !

Of course most of us will be dead before that happens...if it ever happens.

Lip

bc2k
10-12-2003, 01:48 PM
The Cubs winning the Series in 2003 wouldn't keep me away from my Sox, but JR could. If Sox ownership doesn't show me their great desire to fight back by greatly improving, after such a successful Cubs season, that will keep me from Comiskey Park.

By "fighting back," I'm mean signing top flight FA's that will improve the Sox, not signing one name player and expecting a quick fix. By "fighting back," I mean increasing payroll by the beginning of the season, and then increasing it again as we near the trade deadline. A good start to "fighting back" would be signing a REAL MLB manager! Get a Torre, get a Pinella, get a Baker.

Basically, the 2003 Cubs success has taken much of my patience with JR and the Sox. Prove to me NOW that you are serious about winning the WS or I'll boycott this team.

vegyrex
10-12-2003, 06:47 PM
I think my hatred of the Cubs and JR would intensify. :angry:

If the flubs do win I'll be doing a lot of this--> :gulp:

And a lot of this---> :whiner:

Sox4Life
10-16-2003, 02:42 PM
hmmm i can't swear on this thing so I'll have to make due what what i can. I'm an 18 year old GIRL and i show more heart than you, ya phoney, disheartening, impersonator. If you REALLY loved the sox, you wouldn't bail out. My family has stuck with them through everything, and I intend to stick with them till hell freezes over. Baseball is a way of life, you don't just bail on it, or decide not to follow it. Hell! it's my religon! If you can resist the roar of the crowd when mags hits a "duck snort" into the outfield or a homer into the stands, or when loaiza has such a great game that he gets a standing ovation, you dont' belong here. You don't know what it means to be die hard. It's all the cheers and all the tears, and if you can't do that good riddance. I have no tolerance. And this was the nicest way i could say it.... :angry:

ewokpelts
10-16-2003, 03:15 PM
well...good thing this post is now irelevant....
Gene