PDA

View Full Version : Ivan Rodriguez

hose
10-04-2003, 07:14 PM
Pudge Rodriguez has come up big for the Marlins all season long and he was awesome agianst the Giants.

Rodriguez had one homer with 6 rbi's, batted .353 with a 1.038 OPS in the NLDS. He threw out Marquis Grissom at third yesterday and knocked in the winning run with a clutch hit.

Today he scored the go ahead run by knocking over the catcher at the plate and jarring the ball out of his mitt. Then saved the game by tagging out a hard charging Snow at the plate to end the game.

I seem to recall that Rodriguez was not really thought of to highly by some of the members here at WSI when he was a free agent last winter.

cheeses_h_rice
10-04-2003, 07:15 PM
He was on an obvious decline in his abilities. This year is a fluke.

RichH55
10-04-2003, 07:23 PM
His 2nd half didnt prove much to me

hose
10-05-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
His 2nd half didnt prove much to me

Well he proved it to Felix Rodriguez and the rest of the Giants :

Rodriguez also picked Snow off first base in the sixth with the game tied. He drove in all four Marlins runs and threw out a runner in their 11-inning victory Friday.

"The guy does it all," said Giants reliever Felix Rodriguez (no relation), who gave up Florida's two runs in the eighth. "Pudge won both games by himself. If they don't have Pudge Rodriguez, they probably don't have a chance. He's the best catcher in baseball, and he made all the plays today."

cornball
10-05-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by hose
Pudge Rodriguez has come up big for the Marlins all season long and he was awesome agianst the Giants.

Rodriguez had one homer with 6 rbi's, batted .353 with a 1.038 OPS in the NLDS. He threw out Marquis Grissom at third yesterday and knocked in the winning run with a clutch hit.

Today he scored the go ahead run by knocking over the catcher at the plate and jarring the ball out of his mitt. Then saved the game by tagging out a hard charging Snow at the plate to end the game.

I seem to recall that Rodriguez was not really thought of to highly by some of the members here at WSI when he was a free agent last winter.

IRod is a winner, always has been, I guess KW would consider him a grinder.

MHOUSE
10-05-2003, 12:07 PM
Pudge was HUGE for the Marlins. He drove in all four yesterday and then had two huge plays at the plate. What an exciting series that was. Marlins have a great squad there.

jabrch
10-06-2003, 01:13 PM
Pudge is a great ball player...I'd love to have him...

But he is not a luxury that we can afford. 10mm for a catcher is not in the cards. Olivo is fine...I wish he could hit offspeed stuff, but I can live with him.

It is sad when we can not afford the same luxury as the Florida Marlins, isn't it? Obviously they have a very young (pre-arbitration) pitching staff so they have low cost there. And they cobbled together and offense with their young people (Castillo, Gonzalez, Cabrerra) and with castaways (Pierre, Encarnacion, Lee, Conine). They have no 5mm closers who can't pitch, 8 mm DH, 8mm sub .250 hitting 1Bs or 14mm OFs to bog them down.

I am not saying I want to start over building a team like the Marlins did. I think we have at least another chance this year if we can find a way to get enough of the core back... But Florida did a very good job putting a team on the field with limited resources.

Hangar18
10-06-2003, 01:22 PM
Guess What Team is going to run out and sign him this offseason?
hint: fuzzy blue team the media loves

fuzzy_patters
10-06-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Guess What Team is going to run out and sign him this offseason?
hint: fuzzy blue team the media loves

Not the Twins! Oh, you meant the other one.