PDA

View Full Version : Bring Fisk In As Manager

springrovesoxfan
10-04-2003, 05:59 PM
As much as I like Ozzie as a canidate for manager, I think the best guy for the job would be Carlton Fisk. Here is someone who truely understands the game, respects the game, and would not tolerate anyone not giving 100%, every game. If I remember correctly, he told off someone From the yankees for not running out a ground ball. He would make them play fundamentlly sound ball. I think he could get the most out of the players the Sox have
Also, I feel he would help bring the borderline or casual Sox fan back to the park as he was popular and respected by most, if not all Sox fans of the 80's.

ChiWhiteSox1337
10-04-2003, 06:03 PM
I'd think it would be smarter to bring in Fisk rather than Yount or Brett. If you're going to bring in a HOFer you might as well bring in a fan favorite. The person on the yankees that I think you're talking about is Deion Sanders, I saw that quote in the random quote generator here on WSI.

xil357
10-04-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by springrovesoxfan
As much as I like Ozzie as a canidate for manager, I think the best guy for the job would be Carlton Fisk. Here is someone who truely understands the game, respects the game, and would not tolerate anyone not giving 100%, every game. If I remember correctly, he told off someone From the yankees for not running out a ground ball. He would make them play fundamentlly sound ball. I think he could get the most out of the players the Sox have
Also, I feel he would help bring the borderline or casual Sox fan back to the park as he was popular and respected by most, if not all Sox fans of the 80's.

Yes!

JR, get on your hands and knees and BEG Fisk to come back as the manager of the Sox!

Hopefully Fisk would not hold the same grudge against KW as he justifiably does hold against Ron Schueler for the fiasco surrounding his release in 1993 and the disrespect Fisk was shown when trying to enter the Sox clubhouse before Game 1 of the 1993 ALCS.

thechico
10-04-2003, 06:32 PM
He's got my vote too.

Wasn't there some brew-ha-ha between Pudgester & Hawk? I hope Pudge can put the bad crap behind him.
If he *is* considering it (if offered) I think upper mgmt would have to give him the authority to do what he knows how to do.
Cmon Uncle Jerry!

soxwon
10-04-2003, 07:47 PM
Clarence Gaston and only him please.
no fisk-no experience no Baines-no experience and no Ozzie- No experience
Cito- 2 series rings enough said

pudge
10-04-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by soxwon
Clarence Gaston and only him please.
no fisk-no experience no Baines-no experience and no Ozzie- No experience
Cito- 2 series rings enough said

I'm weary of the rookies too. I just don't think Fisk's heart is in it right now, he has said he's not really interested in managing just yet. I think it would have to be the right situation, not a pressure-filled one.

I think Ozzie Guillen could work IF the Sox plan on bringing back the whole coaching staff anyway. The coaches will help out Guillen, and I think he could become a popular and successful manager around here for years to come (plus maybe he'll bring some of that scrappy Marlins mentality).

Gaston I'm not so sure about... the rings don't mean everything. I think his style is a little too laid back, ala Manuel. I'd be a little cautious about Gaston. Also, why hasn't Gaston gotten a job in the past several years? Questionable...

poorme
10-04-2003, 10:26 PM
fisk and JR hate eachother. that will never happen.

Corkinator
10-05-2003, 01:01 AM
I'm nervous about the lack of experience, too. However, if the Sox do decide to bring back a former player rather than an experienced manager, Fisk would be the perfect choice. JR may not love him, but we (or most of us) do. JR might actually consider a good PR move for a change. Fisk respects the game, as evidenced by his dressing down of Sanders and his personal committment to being in shape that allowed him to catch for so many years. Who would be better at handeling a pitching staff than a former catcher? Look at the job Pena did this year. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea.

TheRockinMT
10-05-2003, 01:00 PM
Yes to Carlton Fisk. He is a battler, knows how to handle pitchers and wouldn't expect anything less than 100%. He is a great baseball name and we could use that celebrity status on this team. I think when Fisk talks baseball inquiring minds listen. That's what the Sox need.

ode to veeck
10-05-2003, 02:18 PM
fisk and JR hate eachother. that will never happen.

and as we all know JR's a stubborn as a sociopathic rampaging elephant--, so regardless of how one think's of fisk's spirit or mgr experience, this one's as likely as JR not being the Sox owner

ref: basic calculus epsilon for limit qty closest to zero

TDog
10-05-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by TheRockinMT
Yes to Carlton Fisk. He is a battler, knows how to handle pitchers and wouldn't expect anything less than 100%. He is a great baseball name and we could use that celebrity status on this team. I think when Fisk talks baseball inquiring minds listen. That's what the Sox need.

The Sox already have under contract someone with the qualities people see in Fisk, except for the celebrity status. Art Kusnyer, the bullpen coach, would get respect from his players, wouldn't expect anything less than 100 percent and knows how to handle pitchers. I think he would make a better manager than Fisk, but people would say he doesn't have the experience. He has been around baseball since signing with the White Sox in 1966, but has only managed one season, leading Sarasota to a 42-21 record in 1988.

gosox41
10-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by TDog
The Sox already have under contract someone with the qualities people see in Fisk, except for the celebrity status. Art Kusnyer, the bullpen coach, would get respect from his players, wouldn't expect anything less than 100 percent and knows how to handle pitchers. I think he would make a better manager than Fisk, but people would say he doesn't have the experience. He has been around baseball since signing with the White Sox in 1966, but has only managed one season, leading Sarasota to a 42-21 record in 1988.

I think the way the Sox should approach the managerial search is to list the qualities they're looking for in a manager. The top 4 things I want a manager to have are:

1. Excellent leadership ability. That means making the tough decision, but using sound logic to do it. It also means taking the heat from the media and admitting mistakes.

2. Intensity-No more sitting back in the dugout falling asleep. No more waiting until September 25 to have a team meeting.

3. Respect of the players-Can't be screwing them around at the drop of a hat. The whole Buehrle/Cotts thing was handled badly. It's important to have an open line of communication where the players feel they can talk to the manager and the manager listens and isn't going to punish the player for his ideas.

4. Baseball Smarts-Anyone can learn this. I'd be happy if the Sox just had a computer to manage by "the book." But no more tinkering and stupid stuff like that.

Can guys like Fisk or Guillen bring all these attributes to the table?

Bob

springrovesoxfan
10-06-2003, 12:35 AM
I dont know for sure about Ozzie, but I think Fisk fits those Qualities. Being a former catcher, he knows how to control the game plus he wasn't afriad to stand up for what he felt needed to be accoplished. Also being a well known player who didn't like stupid management, either in the dugout or the front office, he will be able to communicate with players better than most managers in the game today.

SoxxoS
10-06-2003, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by springrovesoxfan
I dont know for sure about Ozzie, but I think Fisk fits those Qualities. Being a former catcher, he knows how to control the game plus he wasn't afriad to stand up for what he felt needed to be accoplished. Also being a well known player who didn't like stupid management, either in the dugout or the front office, he will be able to communicate with players better than most managers in the game today.

The former catcher thing worked OK with Scoscia... :cool:

Procol Harum
10-06-2003, 10:13 AM
Hey guys--save the bandwidth. Like Ode and Poorme pointed out, Reinsdorf and Fisk detest each other so there is NO WAY in Gehenna this is going to come to pass.