PDA

View Full Version : Awesome column from an Atlanta writer and Sox fan

cheeses_h_rice
10-04-2003, 05:15 PM
You can feel this guy's frustration...I love it.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/1003/03torpy.html?23625&urac=n&urvf=10652495389610.5063620019143504

Mostly, I hate how Cub fans wield their faux passion for their inept team as a badge of moral superiority. It's kind of a: "Hey, we love a team that usually stinks but we keep coming back. We must really be True Fans."
Our team hasn't won a World Series since 1917. But we don't walk around jibbering about it.
At one time, the Cubs had real fans who worked hard jobs. Then they went on cable and the neighborhoods around Wrigley Field became gentrified and the Cubs became a fad -- like disco with ivy.

woodenleg
10-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

That guy totally tells it like it is.

One bright spot in all of this is that the fans can't hide anymore behind the sympathy of people who live outside of Chicago. People will see them for what they are.

Also, it makes me happy to hear from Sox fans in other cities - go forth and multiply. Spread the bad news about Satan's team!

xil357
10-04-2003, 06:30 PM
Is this guy a regular sports columnist for AJC? He ought to be.

Can we get a WSI exclusive interview with him? Lip?

Better yet, can we put him on retainer here at WSI?

This column ought to be required reading for anyone who visits this site. Can reading it be put in as a mandatory part of the registration page for flyingsock 4.0? PHG?

jortafan
10-04-2003, 08:29 PM
I'm pretty sure this guy was once a reporter for the Daily Southtown, back in the days when it was still called the Southtown Economist. I seem to recall the byline.

LongLiveFisk
10-04-2003, 10:45 PM
Good article, but just once I would like to see someone who is totally uninvolved with Chicago sports, an "outsider", if you will, with no connections to Chicago, make these observations. That way, it would prove that the fakeness and plasticity of a majority of the north side fans is obvious to the masses, and not just some "jealous Sox fan" ranting and raving. It would definitely show them that we're not the only ones who think this.

poorme
10-04-2003, 10:49 PM
who cares about the cubs and their fans? sounds like some kind of inferiority complex.

doublem23
10-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by LongLiveFisk
Good article, but just once I would like to see someone who is totally uninvolved with Chicago sports, an "outsider", if you will, with no connections to Chicago, make these observations. That way, it would prove that the fakeness and plasticity of a majority of the north side fans is obvious to the masses, and not just some "jealous Sox fan" ranting and raving. It would definitely show them that we're not the only ones who think this.

Everyone who doesn't have to live with them just thinks they're cute and that a World Series in Wrigley Field would be the best thing since slice bread.

GoSox2K3
10-05-2003, 12:32 AM
So, I guess it's safe to assume that the Tribune Co. doesn't own the Atlanta Journal Consistution!

Great article! I wish there were more people spreading the truth about the Cubs out there.

DrCrawdad
10-05-2003, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by poorme
who cares about the cubs and their fans? sounds like some kind of inferiority complex.

PoorMe, are you a Cubbie fan?

http://homepage.mac.com/dcrosby/.Pictures/BRAIN.JPG

poorme
10-05-2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
PoorMe, are you a Cubbie fan?

nope. i just don't spend all my waking hours thinking about the cubs.

DrCrawdad
10-05-2003, 09:02 AM
nope. i just don't spend all my waking hours thinking about the cubs.

Interesting, because whenever I've seen this "Sox inferiority complex" load of crap brought up it's been Cubbie fans talking feces.

Hey, if you're a Cubbie fan that's fine. Let's just be candid.

http://homepage.mac.com/dcrosby/.Pictures/failure_manuel.jpg
See Cubs/Sox, we get along just fine.

Nick@Nite
10-05-2003, 09:29 AM
Great article... I hope the good people of Atlanta now know a baseball truism regarding Flubbie Fans; Lovable Losers are not Lovable!

TDog
10-05-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
So, I guess it's safe to assume that the Tribune Co. doesn't own the Atlanta Journal Consistution!

No they don't. But in many ways that have nothing to do with baseball, Atlanta-based Cox Communications is just as evil.

Chicago Derby
10-05-2003, 03:28 PM
I hear you guys....we need to hear from more outsiders because I'm sick and tired of being labeled a jealous Sox fan. Jealous of what? Yuppies drinking beer in the Wrigley bleachers and thinking that's the trendy thing to do in this city? Give me a break! GO BRAVES! I want something to celebrate tonight!

Does anyone besides me wish Ken Williams had gotten the boot?

Chicago Derby

Daver
10-05-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Chicago Derby
I hear you guys....we need to hear from more outsiders because I'm sick and tired of being labeled a jealous Sox fan. Jealous of what? Yuppies drinking beer in the Wrigley bleachers and thinking that's the trendy thing to do in this city? Give me a break! GO BRAVES! I want something to celebrate tonight!

Does anyone besides me wish Ken Williams had gotten the boot?

Chicago Derby

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

Chicago Derby
10-05-2003, 04:55 PM
Thanks....and looking forward to next season already!!!

(translation...let's get some more PITCHING)...a topic I believe KW knows little about...especially after the Todd R. fiasco.

Daver
10-05-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Chicago Derby
Thanks....and looking forward to next season already!!!

(translation...let's get some more PITCHING)...a topic I believe KW knows little about...especially after the Todd R. fiasco.

He traded for Bartolo Colon didn't he?

I would say he knows a little bit about the subject.

soxtalker
10-05-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Daver
He traded for Bartolo Colon didn't he?

I would say he knows a little bit about the subject.

He's made big trades for pitchers in each of the last three off seasons. He'll do something. He's had both good (Colon) and bad (Ritchie, Koch). Will it be good -- I hope so.

ewokpelts
10-05-2003, 10:02 PM
great article...sent the writeran email thanking him, but also correcting him on which team that ^%#&head dybas roots for.
Gene

voodoochile
10-06-2003, 01:06 PM
Sent him an e-mail asking him to come check out the site. He replied as follows:

Thanks man, I'll put yer site on my favorites list. I'm catching hell today (and last Friday) from Cubdom. Apparently, Lee Elia (a former White Sox player, incidentally) was right. Those guys have no jobs.

Hangar18
10-06-2003, 01:28 PM

I admire your "devils advocate" stance here, but the answer
has been written many times before :smile: