PDA

View Full Version : buck weaver

jortafan
10-04-2003, 09:33 AM
Just stumbled across this story about Buck Weaver's niece while searching through the downstate Illinois papers on-line (yes, I'm trying to find anything to take my mind off the Cubs, and I'm not particularly in the mood for anything political now).

http://www.pantagraph.com/stories/100403/new_20031004024.shtml

I'll have to admit, I wish she could have lived long enough to see her dream come true.

TornLabrum
10-04-2003, 10:34 AM
"He played eight games of flawless baseball," Follett said. "If he was guilty of anything, it was being true to his teammates."

Of course if a crime were committed, Weaver might have been named as an accessory. Looking at it from a human standpoint, though, Weaver was in an untenable position. He tried his best to win when at least 3 regulars, two pitchers, and a utility player were actively trying to throw the games. He had a choice of reporting it to his boss, who covered it up when Joe Jackson tried to tell about the fix, and ratting on his teammates, or to do exactly as he did.

As it was, when the scandal broke, Weaver was caught up in it and his baseball career was through. What a horrible choice to have to make!