PDA

View Full Version : Eddie (The Brat) Stanky memories

TheRockinMT
10-03-2003, 04:34 PM
I really loved to see the baseball card of the Brat on the WSI front page. I really loved that 1967 season even though it ended badly for the Sox, who were in posiiton the last week to win the Great Pennat Race.

Let me tell you this human interest story about me and the Brat.

I was in high school in 1967 and had been a Sox fan since I was old enough to play little league baseball. I was really excited about the '67 pennant race and how the punchless Sox almost took the whole thing. I had to suffer listening to twins baseball over the radio stations becasue it was Twinkie country where I was raised. The only good thing was 18 games with the Sox I could listen to. I also could tune in to WMAQ 670 AM at night and pick up the Sox games, but sometimes reception wasn't real goo. NBC had baseball games on Saturday afternoon and there were several Sox games.

I used to write letters to Eddie Stanky and he would reply to everyone of them. He sent his team photo postcard and always wrote something to me on the card. I remember in September watching a Saturday NBC game between the Sox and Tigers in Chicago and Gary Peters had the Sox ahead 3-0 in the 9th. A Tiger hitter launched one to the wall in left where it was caught by Walt Williams I believe. Stanky brought in Bob Locker and the Tigers got to him and the Sox for 7 runs in the 9th to win. Stunning turn around of events to say the least and the NBC guys were saying how this could be the end of the Sox chances, etc, etc. I sat down and wrote a letter to the Brat and said I had faith in the Sox. The next day was a DH and Joel Horlen no-hit the Tigers and the 2nd game was a combined three picther shut out win also. I got a card from Stanky later in the week thanking me for my support and mentioning I had been right as witnessed by the two-wins one of them the no-hitter. At the end of the season he sent me a bunch of Sox stuff in the mail without my having to even ask for anything. I wonder how many big league players would do that kind of thing now?

Hangar18
10-03-2003, 04:57 PM
How Cool is that. very nice

Lip Man 1
10-03-2003, 05:24 PM
The Rockin MT:

If you haven't already, browse through the WSI Interview section of the web site. J.C. Martin, Gary Peters and Ed Herrmann had memories of Stanky that they shared

For me I remember the "striptease" incident in Detroit where Stanky tore apart his uniform after a writer asked him about a pitch that Gates Brown hammered to beat the Sox as well as the famous quote when the Sox lost a game to Minnesota in August. Then VP Humphrey was standing in the hall waiting to meet Stanky and Eddie kept him waiting. Afterwards when asked about what he did Stanky replyed, "What do I need to see him for, can he hit?"

LOL

Lip

Nellie Comiskey
10-03-2003, 08:50 PM
Stanky was a little before my time, however I met him numerous times growing up.....we attended the same church. He was indeed a great baseball man. The one image I'll always have of the Brat was him going nuts/basically suffocating Leo Durocher after Bobby Thompson hit the "shot heard 'round the world." You are right....having a major league manager/GM/player respond that way doesn't occur often. :luis&nell

Reichardt
10-04-2003, 06:09 AM
It was during the magical summer of 77 when the Texas Rangers hired Stankey as manager. He managed one game and then changed his mind and quit. I was only 4 during the 67 pennant stretch so I don't have too many memories of that time. My Sox interest kicked into high gear during the reign of Don Gutteridge :smile: