PDA

View Full Version : What about Mike Cameron for CF?


Win1ForMe
10-03-2003, 03:17 PM
Like many on these boards have pointed out, I don't want Rowand to be the starting CF next year because he's just not a very good defensive player in center.

What do you guys think Cameron's going to get in the off-season. He made $7.5M this year but I don't think he should get anything close to that. I'm just having a hard time estimating his value.

mike squires
10-03-2003, 03:20 PM
You know, that's interesting. While watching some of the ALDC I was thinking the same thing about Singleton. He would come relativly cheap and maybe he could have one of those types of years he had in 2000??? I know, I know...Let me have it,

Randar68
10-03-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
Like many on these boards have pointed out, I don't want Rowand to be the starting CF next year because he's just not a very good defensive player in center.

What do you guys think Cameron's going to get in the off-season. He made $7.5M this year but I don't think he should get anything close to that. I'm just having a hard time estimating his value.

I don't know. I don't think he's worth more than 5 million. He's never hit .275 or had an OPS of over .850. Mediocre offensively, outstanding defensively.

I'm indifferent. He's going to be looking long-term, as he's already 30. With the OF guys the Sox have in their system, I don't think you can offer him more than a 2-3 year deal. Just don't think it's a match.

In addition, he was pretty upset about the way he was traded and notified about it, when he was dealt by the Sox.

Randar68
10-03-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
You know, that's interesting. While watching some of the ALDC I was thinking the same thing about Singleton. He would come relativly cheap and maybe he could have one of those types of years he had in 2000??? I know, I know...Let me have it,

If the choice is Singleton or Rowand, I'd rather have slow-swing. At least he's lefty.

SoxxoS
10-03-2003, 03:26 PM
I think Rowand is pretty solid defensively...

GoSox2K3
10-03-2003, 03:34 PM
Is Cameron a free agent or would we have to get him in a trade?

PaleHoseGeorge
10-03-2003, 03:34 PM
It's been a long time since anybody around here disputed the point that Ron Schueler got taken by Cincinnati when he traded a fleet-footed centerfielder of Cameron's ability for a hobbling 1B/DH of Konerko's.

:schueler
"Hey you think that one was bad, I said Clemens was finished right before signing Navarro to a long-term deal for the same money."

:ohno
"Rush Limbaugh, please send us some more drugs..."

34 Inch Stick
10-03-2003, 04:03 PM
Not on a Friday George. And, as before the year started, I absolutely disagree with you on this belief.

Win1ForMe
10-03-2003, 04:05 PM
I was actually thinking of a plan where the Sox sign Cameron and platoon Rowand/Reed/Borchard (whoever makes it) in LF. This would give the Sox a pretty damn good outfield defense because while Rowand isn't a good CF, he's good in LF with an above average arm. Of course this means Carlos would be traded. I would then try to sign Luis Castillo at 2B to have as a lead off hitter.

Another move is to trade Konerko and sign someone like Scott Spiezio, a poor man's Mientkiewicz IMO, but someone I do like.

So the lineup looks like-

2B - Castillo
LF - Rowand/Reed
RF - Maggs
DH - Frank
1B - Spiezio
3B - Crede
SS - Jose (ONLY against RHP)/Graffy (against LHP)
CF - Cameron
C - Olivo

I'm thinking this lineup isn't too costly as Valentin/Cam/Spiezio/Castillo can't cost more than a combined $12M. The total $ of the lineup is somewhere around $35M (with bench guys figured in). Assuming the Sox don't have to pick up any of Konerko's salary (although I wouldn't hold my breath for that), and also assuming JR can hike up the payroll to at least $60-65M, the Sox can allocate about $25M-30M on pitching.

I guess that's not too bad as the trio of Garland/Buehrle/Loaiza/Schoenweis will cost about $12M total and take into account Koch at $6M, they would still have about $12M to spend on one good starter and some bullpen guys. What JR should do is get down on his hands and knees and see if he can get Schilling to agree to a trade to the Sox. Arizona would insist Matt Mantei be part of the deal and if the Sox want to take on his contract, they would have a GREAT chance of landing Schilling. IF (and that's a big IF) Mantei is healthy (and that's the only way the Sox should take him) he can be a solid addition to the bullpen forming a good combo with Marte.

Schilling and Mantei would cost a combined $13M (I know Schilling's contract is worth $12 mil by itself but half of that is deferred).

There's too many WHAT IF's involved in signing potential free agents, trades, etc. so there's no way of this happening. But I thought I'd share what I was thinking about...

fuzzy_patters
10-03-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
You know, that's interesting. While watching some of the ALDC I was thinking the same thing about Singleton. He would come relatively cheap and maybe he could have one of those types of years he had in 2000??? I know, I know...Let me have it,

It would not be a bad idea. Singleton is a cheap center fielder with solid defense and good speed. Offensively, he hits for a decent batting average and is left-handed. The major drawbacks are that he has little power and rarely walks. At the time, many Sox fans ripped on Singleton because of those drawbacks, but in retrospect, the scouting report I just gave sounds a heck of a lot like Lance Johnson. I'm sure most Sox fans would love to have One-Dog back. I guess this says something about Sox fans, but I'm not sure what.

Lip Man 1
10-03-2003, 05:30 PM
I have absolutely no idea if this would make any difference or not but in a Sports Illustrated story on Cameron a few years back, Cameron said he was very angry that the Sox didn't bother to tell him about the trade.

In the story Cameron (who was playing winter ball at the time) said he found out about the deal while watching CNN Sports, that it was on the crawl across the bottom of the screen.

You never know what prompts a player to sign with a particular club, that's why I mention this.

Lip

MarkEdward
10-03-2003, 05:45 PM
If Cameron moves to a hitter's (or at least neutral) park next year, he could be very good. Here are his three year splits, home and away:
Home: .224/.324/.385
Away: .278/.364/.510

If we signed him, which wouldn't be that bad of an idea, we'd have to say goodbye to either Ordonez, Colon, or Thomas. Maybe even two of them. I can't see Cameron making less than five million next year.

LuvSox
10-03-2003, 05:48 PM
Only if Cameron puts his hat on straight.

Brian26
10-03-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
Only if Cameron puts his hat on straight.

Thank You. He's a punk.

QueerGirrl
10-03-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
Only if Cameron puts his hat on straight.


It should be a rule. He does look like a thug. Have some professionalism Mike.

steff
10-03-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I have absolutely no idea if this would make any difference or not but in a Sports Illustrated story on Cameron a few years back, Cameron said he was very angry that the Sox didn't bother to tell him about the trade.

In the story Cameron (who was playing winter ball at the time) said he found out about the deal while watching CNN Sports, that it was on the crawl across the bottom of the screen.

You never know what prompts a player to sign with a particular club, that's why I mention this.

Lip


It was actually the ESPN ticker.. but same thing.

Cam will NEVER play for this orginization again.

ma-gaga
10-03-2003, 06:27 PM
What do you guys think Cameron's going to get in the off-season. He made $7.5M this year but I don't think he should get anything close to that. I'm just having a hard time estimating his value.

I've said it before. 4 years $32MM. I'm sure I'll be mocked again...

:)

RichH55
10-03-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
It would not be a bad idea. Singleton is a cheap center fielder with solid defense and good speed. Offensively, he hits for a decent batting average and is left-handed. The major drawbacks are that he has little power and rarely walks. At the time, many Sox fans ripped on Singleton because of those drawbacks, but in retrospect, the scouting report I just gave sounds a heck of a lot like Lance Johnson. I'm sure most Sox fans would love to have One-Dog back. I guess this says something about Sox fans, but I'm not sure what.


No power and no walks....not good times

Though he is part of the Mike Caruso All-Stars!

Rocklive99
10-03-2003, 07:23 PM
If I'm gonna focus on getting one player, I want Juan Pierre. That is if there is any possible way of getting him, because I don't know anything about contracts or anything

cornball
10-03-2003, 07:57 PM
Cameron is an option depending on who else is on the team. Think pitching without it nothing else matters.

Nellie Comiskey
10-03-2003, 10:08 PM
:chicago

Nellie Comiskey
10-03-2003, 10:27 PM
Somehow my message got erased...KW at it again. Cameron is not an option...I know he liked sticking it to the Sox in the 2000 ALDS and everytime he faces his old team. Come on, we know Singleton is not the answer. I do like Rowand's dimeanor/attitude, however he is not a Centerfielder. As we know the Sox have to re-sign some guys(R. Alomar/Colon) and the recent trend has been for the Sox to roll the dice on players coming off injuries/nearing the end of their career: Ellis Burks, Darren Lewis, Kenny Lofton, Jose Conseco, Etc. Borchard has one more shot at the Sox this Spring(unless he's traded this off-season). Jeremy Reed is one more year away.