PDA

View Full Version : Gardy Blames "Full Production" of Singing of God Bless America For Fateful 7th Inning

joecrede
10-03-2003, 02:02 PM
Yep, a lovable bunch these Twins are ...

"I know there are very good reasons they are singing this in New York," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. "But they make a full production out of it . . . and, meantime, my pitcher is over there trying to stay loose."

Full article (http://www.startribune.com/stories/508/4133147.html)

Rocky Soprano
10-03-2003, 02:05 PM
What a retard! :?:

washington
10-03-2003, 02:10 PM
Does Gardenhire ever stop whining? He's almost as bad as Dusty Baker.

JRIG
10-03-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
Yep, a lovable bunch these Twins are ...

Full article (http://www.startribune.com/stories/508/4133147.html)

And here I thought the most classless Twins moment of the night was when Jaque Jones (I think) refused to be tagged by Andy Pettite and started backpedaling towards home plate.

QueerGirrl
10-03-2003, 03:36 PM
Those Twins are actually making me root for the Yanks. And I really hate the Yanks! Damn they are a bunch of whiners. Shut the hell up already!

Rocky Soprano
10-03-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
And here I thought the most classless Twins moment of the night was when Jaque Jones (I think) refused to be tagged by Andy Pettite and started backpedaling towards home plate.

I could'nt believe he did that. Next time he came up to bat, I would of clocked him right on his back.

mandmandm
10-03-2003, 04:05 PM
I am pretty sure the Yankee stadium announcer is famous but who is he? When announcing the 7th inning stretch he sounds like the crypt keeper.

MarkEdward
10-03-2003, 04:39 PM
God Bless America= worst patriotic song ever. Take Me Out To The Ballgame is more patriotic.

Woody Guthrie's original This Land Is Your Land= maybe the best patriotic song ever.

Brian26
10-03-2003, 04:42 PM

Hmm. Didn't Juan Rivera lay down a bunt and do the same thing to Radke?

MarqSox
10-03-2003, 05:52 PM
Last I checked, the idea was to not get out. Not sure why trying, legally, to avoid getting tagged is "classless." Pettitte had an easy solution -- throw the stupid ball to first.

oldcomiskey
10-03-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by mandmandm
I am pretty sure the Yankee stadium announcer is famous but who is he? When announcing the 7th inning stretch he sounds like the crypt keeper.

Bob Shepard

JRIG
10-03-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Last I checked, the idea was to not get out. Not sure why trying, legally, to avoid getting tagged is "classless." Pettitte had an easy solution -- throw the stupid ball to first.

If you think running backwards towards home plate when the pitcher has the ball in his hand and tries three times to tag the player out, each time the runner jumping backwards a little bit further to avoid it making no attempts to move towards first base, with no one on base, isn't classless I'm not going to spend time trying to convince you otherwise.

voodoochile
10-03-2003, 07:09 PM
If you think running backwards towards home plate when the pitcher has the ball in his hand and tries three times to tag the player out, each time the runner jumping backwards a little bit further to avoid it making no attempts to move towards first base, with no one on base, isn't classless I'm not going to spend time trying to convince you otherwise.

Actually, I don't. What happens if Pettit throws the ball away while throwing the ball to first? It's happened before. Where is it written that a player has to give up just because they appear to be out?

JRIG
10-03-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Actually, I don't. What happens if Pettit throws the ball away while throwing the ball to first? It's happened before. Where is it written that a player has to give up just because they appear to be out?

I think we're just going to have to disagree on this one. I'm not a huge fan of baseball's "unwritten rules", but I think you just don't try to show up an opponent like that. I honestly don't think Jones was trying to force Pettite to throw to first -- his intent wasn't to try to get on base. It was just to get Pettite to chase him.

I think it's one thing to avoid a tag. It's another to run backwards towards home plate. And I'd say the same thing if a Sox did it. Like I said, I think we'll agree to disagree on this one.

fquaye149
10-04-2003, 10:19 AM
a pitcher can throw over to first base infinity times if he wants. i mean, gee, he might get the runner any one of those times...but it is still classless. chop blocking in football helps you win the game but gee whiz don't tell that to linemen in the trenches.

whatever...if you think that's good heads up baseball, hustling and all that, jeez

TornLabrum
10-04-2003, 10:24 AM
I can think of one thing to do if I'm in Pettitte's shoes. Keep backing the SOB back towards the plate. Once he touches or passes it he is out.

xil357
10-04-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Woody Guthrie's original This Land Is Your Land= maybe the best patriotic song ever.

Maybe this is Parking Lot territory, but I agree wholeheartedly.

TornLabrum
10-04-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by xil357
Maybe this is Parking Lot territory, but I agree wholeheartedly.

My first and only comment: I think what makes GBA a great song was the timing of it's publication just before the U.S. World War II when indeed the entire world was in peril and only Great Britain and the United States stood in the way of a world run by tyrants. As a result it stands as a symbol to Americans of the generation that fought in that war and to their children, of whom I am one.

I don't think the billionaire owners, especially real estate tycoon Jerry Reinsdorf, would really approve of the original TLIYL with Guthrie's line about the sign that said "No Trespassing." Do you?

xil357
10-04-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I don't think the billionaire owners, especially real estate tycoon Jerry Reinsdorf, would really approve of the original TLIYL with Guthrie's line about the sign that said "No Trespassing." Do you?

Of course not. That's what makes the song great. (Neocons fire away...)

Viva Magglio
10-04-2003, 04:54 PM
GBA is a great song, but does it still need to be sung at the 7th inning stretch now that we're two years removed from 9/11? I don't mean to be cold-hearted, but we have to move on. True, few if any of us experienced 9/11 first hand like New Yorkers did. Nevertheless, let's roll.

TornLabrum
10-04-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
GBA is a great song, but does it still need to be sung at the 7th inning stretch now that we're two years removed from 9/11? I don't mean to be cold-hearted, but we have to move on. True, few if any of us experienced 9/11 first hand like New Yorkers did. Nevertheless, let's roll.

Did Osama die and I didn't hear about it?