PDA

View Full Version : Home ump in Cleveland

cheeses_h_rice
08-29-2001, 10:31 PM
Did anyone else happen to witness the BRUTAL calls the home ump was giving Bob Wickman in the top of the 9th inning in the BoSox/Indians game? I am going to go so far as to say he pretty much gave Cleveland the W -- there were at least 3 called strikes that were 6-8 inches at least off the plate. On one batter, he called an outside strike that was almost a foot away, and then gave Wickman a strike on an inside pitch that was 3-4 inches off the plate. So instead of 2-0 counts, you'd have 1-1, then 1-2 instead of 3-0.

Brutal. Just brutal.

By the way, nice game tonight, Sox. You too, Josh.

:versatile

Thanks!

CFFan
08-29-2001, 10:35 PM
OK, what were you smoking, pitch track and the overhead cam showed all those pitches in the zone.

cheeses_h_rice
08-29-2001, 10:37 PM
Pitch track? Overhead cam? They used neither. Were you watching the same game as me?

Even Buck Showalter was saying that the ump was giving Wickman pitches on the outside and inside of the plate.

Trust me, the outside balls were WAY outside. What a joke.

cheeses_h_rice
08-29-2001, 10:41 PM
I'm not alone:

http://boards.go.com/cgi/espn/request.dll?MESSAGE&room=mlb_chw&id=96975

http://boards.espn.go.com/cgi/mlb/request.dll?MESSAGE&room=mlb_bos&id=699541&move=firstThread

voodoochile
08-29-2001, 10:45 PM
I watched it. I was pretty ticked.I don't know what game CFF was watching. It was on ESPN here and there wasn't a single pitch track or any other attempt to justify the calls one way or the other. I thought the calls were at best questionable...

However... he was calling the game the same way in the bottom of the 8th, and seemed to have a pretty wide zone all night. Not saying it was right, but at least he was consistently bad...

Boston is just coming apart at the seams...

PutItOnTheBoard
08-29-2001, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by CFFan
what were you smoking

Btw, this could very well be the most played out phrase in the history of human language...

cheeses_h_rice
08-29-2001, 10:48 PM
I did read some posts that said the strike zone was wide all night; can't say for sure, since I just tuned in in the 9th.

But the game was 2-1, Wickman couldn't find the plate, and the home ump was just GIVING the game to him, so I was very ticked off at that. I thought the BoSox should have gotten at least 1 run out of it.

cheeses_h_rice
08-29-2001, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by PutItOnTheBoard

Btw, this could very well be the most played out phrase in the history of human language...

No, PIOTB, don't you know it's:

"It's like ___ on acid."

(Usually used in a review of a record, a movie, or a play.)

FarWestChicago
08-29-2001, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by PutItOnTheBoard

LOL!! You have a point there. I think a well placed "pass the bong" still has a little life in it, though.

chisoxt
08-29-2001, 11:05 PM
Actually, that called third strike on Offerman looked pretty good - too close to take. Anyway, it's hard to tell with that goofy SF camera angle.

NUCatsFan
08-29-2001, 11:42 PM
While it doesn't concern us, the calls in the Mets-Phillies game was just as bad.

Jerry_Manuel
08-29-2001, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by NUCatsFan
While it doesn't concern us, the calls in the Mets-Phillies game was just as bad.

Well seeing how the NFL officials have some free time perhaps they can take up baseball.

Mathew
08-30-2001, 05:12 AM
I've umped and refed many sports and I say phuck the refs. there are many good officials who aren't pros. Veteren refs are usually good, but it;s not like sporst where there is a disparity in talent, refs can be very good and bad at any level.