PDA

View Full Version : John Kass' Article Today


Dadawg_77
10-03-2003, 11:31 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/chi-0310030289oct03,1,5356583.column?coll=chi-homepagenews2-utl


Talks about him ending a prevoius column with "Go Cubs"

idseer
10-03-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/chi-0310030289oct03,1,5356583.column?coll=chi-homepagenews2-utl


Talks about him ending a prevoius column with "Go Cubs"


pathetic.

GoSox2K3
10-03-2003, 01:03 PM
It didn't take Kass very long to start rooting for the dark side.

GoSox2K3
10-03-2003, 03:43 PM
At least Richard Roeper isn't a traitor like Kass:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/roeper/cst-nws-roep29.html

QueerGirrl
10-03-2003, 04:17 PM
Kass is a big fat turd. F'ing traitor. I have no tolerance for fair-weathered Sox fans. Either you're with us or against us. I hate that "I'm happy that a Chicago team is in it" bullcrap, especially when it come out of the mouths of "Sox fans". :angry:

Sorry, I lost it there for a moment. All is well.

washington
10-03-2003, 05:34 PM
Kass is a Sox season ticket holder but his articles this week show that he hasn't forgotten who pays his salary. A few years ago, I think in 1998, he wrote a column about how painful it was for Sox fans to see Sosa become so successful with the Flubs. Apparently ignorant of the fact that most Sox fans don't give a rat's a** about Sosa or his steroid-induced theatrics

voodoochile
10-03-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by washington
Kass is a Sox season ticket holder but his articles this week show that he hasn't forgotten who pays his salary. A few years ago, I think in 1998, he wrote a column about how painful it was for Sox fans to see Sosa become so successful with the Flubs. Apparently ignorant of the fact that most Sox fans don't give a rat's a** about Sosa or his steroid-induced theatrics

I think Kass feels a deeper loyalty to the city than he does to the Sox. He wants the city put in a positive light as often as possible and as a result he wants positive press. When a Chicago team is in the playoffs in any sport, there is positive national press about the city and more tourism money for the businesses that exist here.

There is a bigger picture than Sox baseball at work and though I am not rooting for the flubbies, I understand the sentiment at work...

GoSox2K3
10-03-2003, 06:15 PM
I think Roeper did a better job of acknowledging the Cubs success without selling out by saying he'd root for them.

idseer
10-03-2003, 07:43 PM
i think this is the stupidest thing about sox fans that i ever come across. it's absolutely ignorant to think you can only be a true sox fan if you hate the cubs. i don't hate the cubs and i'll put up my 'fanness' against anyone here.
where was it ever written you had to hate one team to root for another? you actually use words like 'traitor' and 'fair weathered'.
listen to yourselves! it's little better than gang mentality.
and please spare me the crap about their owners. anyone take a look at ours lately?


get a clue!

ssang
10-03-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by idseer
i think this is the stupidest thing about sox fans that i ever come across. it's absolutely ignorant to think you can only be a true sox fan if you hate the cubs. i don't hate the cubs and i'll put up my 'fanness' against anyone here.
where was it ever written you had to hate one team to root for another? you actually use words like 'traitor' and 'fair weathered'.
listen to yourselves! it's little better than gang mentality.
and please spare me the crap about their owners. anyone take a look at ours lately?


get a clue!

I disagree with you. Hating the Cubs is part of the package of being a Sox fan. It's what makes our experience as White Sox fans so unique. To us, rooting for a baseball team involves more than just love for one team......we must Hate the Cubs too! As far as I'm concerned, anyone who roots for both teams might as well just be a Cub fan. In fact, I think that becuase most Sox fans (the real ones anyways) hate the Cubs, it forms an even closer bond among the fans than any other major league ballclub. It's like it's US vs. THEM. And we all know that 95% of this country would love to see the Cubs succeed. We must stick together in our hatred for the Cubs as it is our duty and right as White Sox fans. It's just one of those things. The sky is blue, the grass is green, sugar makes you fat, and if you are a White Sox fan you HATE the Cubs. It's just another cylce of life.

WHO's WITH ME!?!?!

idseer
10-03-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by ssang
I disagree with you. Hating the Cubs is part of the package of being a Sox fan. It's what makes our experience as White Sox fans so unique. To us, rooting for a baseball team involves more than just love for one team......we must Hate the Cubs too! As far as I'm concerned, anyone who roots for both teams might as well just be a Cub fan. In fact, I think that becuase most Sox fans (the real ones anyways) hate the Cubs, it forms an even closer bond among the fans than any other major league ballclub. It's like it's us vs. them. And we all know that 95% of this country would love to see the Cubs succeed. We must stick together in our hatred for the Cubs as it is our duty and right as White Sox fans. It's just one of those things. The sky is blue, the grass is green, sugar makes you fat, and if you are a White Sox fan you HATE the Cubs. It's just another cylce of life.

WHO's WITH ME!?!?!


un believable!

Meixner007
10-03-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by ssang
I disagree with you. Hating the Cubs is part of the package of being a Sox fan. It's what makes our experience as White Sox fans so unique. To us, rooting for a baseball team involves more than just love for one team......we must Hate the Cubs too! As far as I'm concerned, anyone who roots for both teams might as well just be a Cub fan. In fact, I think that becuase most Sox fans (the real ones anyways) hate the Cubs, it forms an even closer bond among the fans than any other major league ballclub. It's like it's us vs. them. And we all know that 95% of this country would love to see the Cubs succeed. We must stick together in our hatred for the Cubs as it is our duty and right as White Sox fans. It's just one of those things. The sky is blue, the grass is green, sugar makes you fat, and if you are a White Sox fan you HATE the Cubs. It's just another cylce of life.

WHO's WITH ME!?!?!

I am (slowly raises a hand).

faneidde
10-03-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by ssang
I disagree with you. Hating the Cubs is part of the package of being a Sox fan. It's what makes our experience as White Sox fans so unique. To us, rooting for a baseball team involves more than just love for one team......we must Hate the Cubs too! As far as I'm concerned, anyone who roots for both teams might as well just be a Cub fan. In fact, I think that becuase most Sox fans (the real ones anyways) hate the Cubs, it forms an even closer bond among the fans than any other major league ballclub. It's like it's us vs. them. And we all know that 95% of this country would love to see the Cubs succeed. We must stick together in our hatred for the Cubs as it is our duty and right as White Sox fans. It's just one of those things. The sky is blue, the grass is green, sugar makes you fat, and if you are a White Sox fan you HATE the Cubs. It's just another cylce of life.

WHO's WITH ME!?!?!
I am.

woodenleg
10-03-2003, 09:40 PM
John Kass brings a real South Side perspective to the Trib.

I don't think he was "disloyal". I think a true Sox fan is loyal to the Sox above all else. Sure, many of us understandably hate the Cubs, but I think Kass is just being a gentleman about it.

He shouldn't have used the word "jealous", though. Jealousy is an admission that you have no pride. If I were "jealous", that would mean that I want to be a Cub fan, and I don't.

As for today's article, I thought it was quite fair-minded. He repeated a lot of Sox fans' sentiments without judgment. That's more than we can hope for from most of the media. It was good to get those unvarnished opinions in print, because most of the time, we don't get a fair shake.

naprvllesoxfan
10-03-2003, 09:46 PM
To ssang.
I totally agree with you. I grew up as a Sox fan and my relatives were all Cub fans. They hated the Sox so naturally it only seemed natural for me to hate the Cubs. I know alot of Cubs fans that hate the Sox as much as we had the Cubs. If I hear one more person say to me that I should root for the Cubs, just because it is a Chicago team, I think I will be sick. I root for my own team!

voodoochile
10-03-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by naprvllesoxfan
To ssang.
I totally agree with you. I grew up as a Sox fan and my relatives were all Cub fans. They hated the Sox so naturally it only seemed natural for me to hate the Cubs. I know alot of Cubs fans that hate the Sox as much as we had the Cubs. If I hear one more person say to me that I should root for the Cubs, just because it is a Chicago team, I think I will be sick. I root for my own team!

Welcome Aboard! :D:

FoulTerritory
10-03-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by ssang
I disagree with you. Hating the Cubs is part of the package of being a Sox fan. It's what makes our experience as White Sox fans so unique. To us, rooting for a baseball team involves more than just love for one team......we must Hate the Cubs too! As far as I'm concerned, anyone who roots for both teams might as well just be a Cub fan. In fact, I think that becuase most Sox fans (the real ones anyways) hate the Cubs, it forms an even closer bond among the fans than any other major league ballclub. It's like it's US vs. THEM. And we all know that 95% of this country would love to see the Cubs succeed. We must stick together in our hatred for the Cubs as it is our duty and right as White Sox fans. It's just one of those things. The sky is blue, the grass is green, sugar makes you fat, and if you are a White Sox fan you HATE the Cubs. It's just another cylce of life.

WHO's WITH ME!?!?!



I'm with you 100%

MRKARNO
10-03-2003, 11:45 PM
I must admit for a period of two weeks I really tried to like the cubs. Once the Sox started tanking and I started getting **** from all of these fair weathered cubs fans, I couldnt stand it anymore and this experience will probably always cause me to hate the cubs for the rest of my life.

woodenleg
10-03-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I must admit for a period of two weeks I really tried to like the cubs. Once the Sox started tanking and I started getting **** from all of these fair weathered cubs fans, I couldnt stand it anymore and this experience will probably always cause me to hate the cubs for the rest of my life.

I know what you mean.

I remember when the rivalry was "cute". I was as allergic to the Cubs as I am now, but in the eighties, in the dawn of Cubpaganda, it started getting nasty.

I really started to hate the Cubs when I left Chicago, and discovered that there were Cub fans under every rock. People elsewhere think the Cubs are the underdog, while the "underdog" has its foot on our necks.

Then I had to live in Wrigleyville and witnessed the evils of Cubdom first hand. My grandfather was a minor leaguer - I have too much respect for the players and the game to disrespect any team. But the arrogant fans and the hype at our expense are what turn me off.

You always tell yourself to forget about it, but then someone says something really rude and arrogant, and it's war all over again.

alohafri
10-04-2003, 12:50 PM
80-90% of scrub fans are a-holes, in my experience. They come to Sox Park to harass Sox fans (and to run out onto the field), they clog talk radio with their anti-Sox trash talk...they even go to Bridgeport bars and harass Sox fans there. Hangar gets harassed for rooting for the Sox at North side bars. Mr. Aloha and I went to a South side Irish bar last weekend and the scrub fans that were there were trashing the Sox also (it was quite a feat of self-restraint of both of us to keep from punching their lights out). Even my boss (the scrub fan) has made some derogatory comments about the South side.

Asking a Sox fan to support the other Chicago team is like asking a Mets fan to support the Yankees. Ugh.

:(: --Mrs. Aloha

GoSox2K3
10-04-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by ssang
I disagree with you. Hating the Cubs is part of the package of being a Sox fan. It's what makes our experience as White Sox fans so unique. To us, rooting for a baseball team involves more than just love for one team......we must Hate the Cubs too! As far as I'm concerned, anyone who roots for both teams might as well just be a Cub fan. In fact, I think that becuase most Sox fans (the real ones anyways) hate the Cubs, it forms an even closer bond among the fans than any other major league ballclub. It's like it's US vs. THEM. And we all know that 95% of this country would love to see the Cubs succeed. We must stick together in our hatred for the Cubs as it is our duty and right as White Sox fans. It's just one of those things. The sky is blue, the grass is green, sugar makes you fat, and if you are a White Sox fan you HATE the Cubs. It's just another cylce of life.

WHO's WITH ME!?!?!

I'm with you 100%

TDog
10-04-2003, 05:33 PM
You're not a Sox fan because they're in Chicago. You're a Sox fan because they're the Sox. Sometimes it isn't pretty, but that's the way it is. I don't live in Chicago, and like many of the Northwest Indiana fans hanging around WSI, I've never lived in Chicago. When I secondarily rooted for the Padres as my local team in 1984, much of what made the World Series so sweet was the fact that the Padres had to make Cubs fans cry to get there. And it still was only fractionally as sweet as it would have been if the Sox had come to San Diego that October.

Cubs fans may be your family, your in-laws your friends and your co-workers, but in the arena of baseball, they want your team to cease to exist. The Cubs management has pursued policies that seek to put the Sox out of business. Except for most fair-weather fans, who probably knew nothing about baseball anyway, they didn't support your team in 2000 and probably mocked you for being a Sox fan when it was all over. Some that wanted to support you were pressured to toe the Cubby line.

And if the Cubs are really America's team as announcers would have you believe, they're not really the local team anyway. The Star Wars allusions to the Dark Side are valid. You should be rooting for them to lose so badly tonight that they will have too many severely injured players to field a starting lineup and will have to pitch Troy O'Leary tomorrow.

Cubs are scum.

hsnterprize
10-05-2003, 10:14 AM
I'll tell ya something...it's a real quandrum when I have to talk about the Cubs and such. I'm a 1000% White Sox fan, and I have no bones in telling people so. Journalistic ethics aside, we all know that reporters in this town are fans of either one or the other. I'm not saying that every person is a "die hard" or even chooses one side over another, but I can tell you there are a lot more happier reporters out there because their personal favorite baseball team is still playing while the Sox are finished. Now, of course, if the Sox were playing, they'd report on that and on how the fans are behaving. However, we all know there are tons of Cub fans who work in the press. All I've been hearing about on the news over the past week or so is about the "Cub Fever" or "Playoff Fever" Chicago is experiencing. Believe it or not, WGN did a story about how some Sox fans are handling this storm of Cubness Needless to say, there are Sox fans who, like us, can't stand this Cub swell. They had to find someone playing softball in a park near U.S. Cellular Field who "wishes the Cubs well" even though he claims to be a die-hard Sox fan. And...there was a shot of a bar in teh Beverly neighborhood where the bartender was weaing a Braves jersey. The TV cameras followed a man weaing a Cubs cap and jacket into the bar to a loud rendition of boos. That man said that since he was born and raised in Chicago, we should root for our hometown teams. Years ago, I admit I thought like that. Now, I've obviously have been reformed to the proper "choose oneor the other" mentality.

Now, as a reporter, it's tough for me to be totally unbiased. Of course, I report when the Cubs are playing well and when they're not...that's my job. I have to sound like I'm liking the Cubs even though in my heart, I can't stand them. I was in the Wrigley Field press box a couple of weeks ago, and I'll tell you I really felt uncomfortable in there. Remember...this was when the Sox were still in the pennant chase, so even while the Cubs and Cincinnati Reds were on the field, I kept a look at the Sox game...they won that afternoon. I stress this very seriously...AS A REPORTER...I wish the Cubs well. Whether we Sox fans like it or not, the Cubs' success is a HUGE story, and it keeps us journalists busy...especially with the Bears playing as loust as they are. However, AS A FAN, I hope they choke. I'd love to rub it in the faces of Cub fans for all the grief I've taken because I'm not on the "Cub-lover" bandwagon. It's tough to go against such a strong tide, but I'll really be happy when the Braves win Game 5 of their series tonight.

I've shown that plenty of times out in the field, and on this website, so if anyone questions my loyalty to the Sox, then I suggest you read many of my previous 350+ posts proving my love for the Silver and Black. I've told Sox fans and players that when I'm on the job, I have to "call it straight", but when I'm being a fan, I'm Sox all the way. It's as simple as that.

I'm even taking flak from my wife for wanting the Braves to win the series. She says that even though she's not a Cubs fan, she's wanting to see a Chicago team win. I love her very dearly, but that is such malarkey. When Sosa came through in the clutch like he always does by flying out to the center fielder in the 9th inning, I started sining like Ray Charles, "Georgia On My Mind". It felt so good to see Sammy once again be Mr. Reliable. Has anyone other than me noticed how ineffective Corky has been in this series; albeit he's had a couple of shining moments, but not enough to live up to his superstar status.

I'm looking forward to 2004 and the hopes of a better Sox season than this year. As expected, we Sox fans will continue to demand that our team do whatever it has to do short of selling it's soul to Satan to being a winning product to the south side. And this time...a division title alone won't cut it. We want a team to at least get to the World Series, let alone win it. The Sox were too talented on paper this year not to be in the post season. In 2004, there will definitely be NO EXCUSES...We want a winner...that's it in a nutshell.

TornLabrum
10-05-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
I'll tell ya something...it's a real quandrum when I have to talk about the Cubs and such. I'm a 1000% White Sox fan, and I have no bones in telling people so. Journalistic ethics aside, we all know that reporters in this town are fans of either one or the other. I'm not saying that every person is a "die hard" or even chooses one side over another, but I can tell you there are a lot more happier reporters out there because their personal favorite baseball team is still playing while the Sox are finished. Now, of course, if the Sox were playing, they'd report on that and on how the fans are behaving. However, we all know there are tons of Cub fans who work in the press. All I've been hearing about on the news over the past week or so is about the "Cub Fever" or "Playoff Fever" Chicago is experiencing. Believe it or not, WGN did a story about how some Sox fans are handling this storm of Cubness Needless to say, there are Sox fans who, like us, can't stand this Cub swell. They had to find someone playing softball in a park near U.S. Cellular Field who "wishes the Cubs well" even though he claims to be a die-hard Sox fan. And...there was a shot of a bar in teh Beverly neighborhood where the bartender was weaing a Braves jersey. The TV cameras followed a man weaing a Cubs cap and jacket into the bar to a loud rendition of boos. That man said that since he was born and raised in Chicago, we should root for our hometown teams. Years ago, I admit I thought like that. Now, I've obviously have been reformed to the proper "choose oneor the other" mentality.

Now, as a reporter, it's tough for me to be totally unbiased. Of course, I report when the Cubs are playing well and when they're not...that's my job. I have to sound like I'm liking the Cubs even though in my heart, I can't stand them. I was in the Wrigley Field press box a couple of weeks ago, and I'll tell you I really felt uncomfortable in there. Remember...this was when the Sox were still in the pennant chase, so even while the Cubs and Cincinnati Reds were on the field, I kept a look at the Sox game...they won that afternoon. I stress this very seriously...AS A REPORTER...I wish the Cubs well. Whether we Sox fans like it or not, the Cubs' success is a HUGE story, and it keeps us journalists busy...especially with the Bears playing as loust as they are. However, AS A FAN, I hope they choke. I'd love to rub it in the faces of Cub fans for all the grief I've taken because I'm not on the "Cub-lover" bandwagon. It's tough to go against such a strong tide, but I'll really be happy when the Braves win Game 5 of their series tonight.

I've shown that plenty of times out in the field, and on this website, so if anyone questions my loyalty to the Sox, then I suggest you read many of my previous 350+ posts proving my love for the Silver and Black. I've told Sox fans and players that when I'm on the job, I have to "call it straight", but when I'm being a fan, I'm Sox all the way. It's as simple as that.

I'm even taking flak from my wife for wanting the Braves to win the series. She says that even though she's not a Cubs fan, she's wanting to see a Chicago team win. I love her very dearly, but that is such malarkey. When Sosa came through in the clutch like he always does by flying out to the center fielder in the 9th inning, I started sining like Ray Charles, "Georgia On My Mind". It felt so good to see Sammy once again be Mr. Reliable. Has anyone other than me noticed how ineffective Corky has been in this series; albeit he's had a couple of shining moments, but not enough to live up to his superstar status.

I'm looking forward to 2004 and the hopes of a better Sox season than this year. As expected, we Sox fans will continue to demand that our team do whatever it has to do short of selling it's soul to Satan to being a winning product to the south side. And this time...a division title alone won't cut it. We want a team to at least get to the World Series, let alone win it. The Sox were too talented on paper this year not to be in the post season. In 2004, there will definitely be NO EXCUSES...We want a winner...that's it in a nutshell.

I completely understand where you're coming from. In my case it's a split personality regarding how I write about the Sox. Here at WSI, I can be myself on the boards and in my "Fallen Arches" columns and say what I really think. On the other hand I edit and write for the Windy City Sox Fans newsletter where everything is positive because we need the players to attend our luncheons and support from people in the front office for things we'd like to do involving the club.

Right now, at least as soon as I get my email program fixed, I'm planning on writing a "good riddance" article about Jerry Manuel (and yes, I will mention what a good guy he is, because he is) here while at the same time trying to write something nice about him for the newsletter (because he did help us by attending several of our events, always stopped by at our SoxFest booth to say hi, etc.).

My solution when I have negative stuff to write for the newsletter is to keep it as neutral as possible. Manuel's tinkering with the lineup will become something like "his attempts to find the right combination persisting until nearly the All-Star break." People will be able to read between the lines, but I won't be attacking him.

I can't imagine what I'd have to do, though, if I had to suck it up and try to be positive about the Cute and Cuddlies being in the playoffs. Maybe talk about what the Cubs fans are saying and keeping keeping my comments neutral.

As I said, I feel for you.

poorme
10-05-2003, 10:46 AM
you can't be a fan of both teams. your heart has to belong with one or the other. anyone who pulls for both teams is not a real baseball fan.

i respect a real knowledgeable baseball fan who is a cubs fan. they're pretty unusual though.

the rest of them are not even worth thinking about.

hsnterprize
10-05-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I completely understand where you're coming from. In my case it's a split personality regarding how I write about the Sox. Here at WSI, I can be myself on the boards and in my "Fallen Arches" columns and say what I really think. On the other hand I edit and write for the Windy City Sox Fans newsletter where everything is positive because we need the players to attend our luncheons and support from people in the front office for things we'd like to do involving the club.

Right now, at least as soon as I get my email program fixed, I'm planning on writing a "good riddance" article about Jerry Manuel (and yes, I will mention what a good guy he is, because he is) here while at the same time trying to write something nice about him for the newsletter (because he did help us by attending several of our events, always stopped by at our SoxFest booth to say hi, etc.).

My solution when I have negative stuff to write for the newsletter is to keep it as neutral as possible. Manuel's tinkering with the lineup will become something like "his attempts to find the right combination persisting until nearly the All-Star break." People will be able to read between the lines, but I won't be attacking him.

I can't imagine what I'd have to do, though, if I had to suck it up and try to be positive about the Cute and Cuddlies being in the playoffs. Maybe talk about what the Cubs fans are saying and keeping keeping my comments neutral.

As I said, I feel for you. Thanks, Hal...

It's good to know that people don't think I'm a "traitor" or "bandwagon jumper" just because we're in this situation. Obviously, it's tough for me to be upbeat about the baseball season. It wouldn't be so bad if the Cubs weren't in the playoffs. However, this is a time where we Sox fans, regardless of what the media says, have to stick together and realize that to a certain extent, it IS us vs. them. We have to stand our ground and prepare ourselves for when the Cubs are eliminated. We might not get the top billing for celebrating a Cubs loss, but at least we can be happy that our top rivals are gone.

And to point out, yes...Jerry Manuel is a great guy. He's a man of faith, and he's a person my radio station has often profiled. However, I'm just glad that he's no longer Sox manager. Personally, I don't know who should take his place...but I trust the Sox, if their smart, will get someone who actually gives a rip about winning and who will listen to the fans' concerns about how the team/organization is doing.

hsnterprize
10-05-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by poorme
you can't be a fan of both teams. your heart has to belong with one or the other. anyone who pulls for both teams is not a real baseball fan.

i respect a real knowledgeable baseball fan who is a cubs fan. they're pretty unusual though.

the rest of them are not even worth thinking about. DITTO!!!!!!!

FarWestChicago
10-05-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by poorme
i respect a real knowledgeable baseball fan who is a cubs fan. they're pretty unusual though.Well, there's Vic and Grobber and.....and....and....well, there's two! :smile:

hsnterprize
10-05-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Well, there's Vic and Grobber and.....and....and....well, there's two! :smile: There's this old lady that WGN TV often touts with her knowledge and wisdom about how the Cubs are doing and what they should do. Now, I'm dead serious...she knows her stuff. She almost knows more than Dusty with all the stuff she spouts every morning. She often suggests a lineup for the Cubbies, and it looks like they're taking her advice seriously. I forgot what her name is, but she's pretty smart. As for the other Flubbie fans, I could care less.

TDog
10-05-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
...I've told Sox fans and players that when I'm on the job, I have to "call it straight", but when I'm being a fan, I'm Sox all the way. It's as simple as that.

Jerome Holtzman edited a book in which great sportswriters discussed their craft. He titled it, "No Cheering in the Press Box." Local radio is different because it is, in part, a cheerleading medium. Calling it straight becomes rooting for the home team. I understand that. I would expect Sox haters in the local media to put on a happy face if the Sox were in the playoffs.

Newspapers are different, though. For any self-respecting print journalist, calling it straight means, well, no cheering in the press box. I knew someone who sat in the press box in San Diego during the 1984 World Series. (My World Series experience, like that of most Sox fans, is limited) He said that when Kurt Bevacqua hit his home run in fifth inning of game two (blowing kisses to the crowd after rounding third), there was only a single clap for applause in the San Diego press box. My friend said people gave him dirty looks, and he sat on his hands for the remainder of the game.

I get the feeling the Wrigley Field press box is a little less professional.

soxruleEP
10-08-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by woodenleg
John Kass brings a real South Side perspective to the Trib.



He shouldn't have used the word "jealous", though. Jealousy is an admission that you have no pride. If I were "jealous", that would mean that I want to be a Cub fan, and I don't.



Actually he should have used "envious." You are jealous of what you have; you are envious of what others possess.

pudge
10-08-2003, 03:25 PM
I still think it'd be cool for him to do something on the way we've bonded with the guys at the Marlins board... marlinbaseball.com... it cracks me up...

eshunn2001
10-08-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by idseer
i think this is the stupidest thing about sox fans that i ever come across. it's absolutely ignorant to think you can only be a true sox fan if you hate the cubs. i don't hate the cubs and i'll put up my 'fanness' against anyone here.
where was it ever written you had to hate one team to root for another? you actually use words like 'traitor' and 'fair weathered'.
listen to yourselves! it's little better than gang mentality.
and please spare me the crap about their owners. anyone take a look at ours lately?


get a clue!


No this is UN Beliveable!!! Hating the Cubs runs through my veins. I might hate the Cubs more than I love the Sox. (the Cubs give me alot more reasons to hate them, than the Sox give me to love them.)

voodoochile
10-08-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by eshunn2001
No this is UN Beliveable!!! Hating the Cubs runs through my veins. I might hate the Cubs more than I love the Sox. (the Cubs give me alot more reasons to hate them, than the Sox give me to love them.)

So you are more an anti-flubbie fan than a Sox fan. That's kind of sad...

Hokiesox
10-08-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by naprvllesoxfan
To ssang.
I totally agree with you. I grew up as a Sox fan and my relatives were all Cub fans. They hated the Sox so naturally it only seemed natural for me to hate the Cubs. I know alot of Cubs fans that hate the Sox as much as we had the Cubs. If I hear one more person say to me that I should root for the Cubs, just because it is a Chicago team, I think I will be sick. I root for my own team!

I get this treatment out here in DC. Everyone knows I'm from Chicago, and don't understand that I'm a white sox fan, and nothing more (although, the marlins are growing on me). To me, the north side may as well be in Wisconsin. It's not my city. It's a posh town. Chicago should be a working class city, and the Sox represent that.

eshunn2001
10-08-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
So you are more an anti-flubbie fan than a Sox fan. That's kind of sad...

I was a Sox fan b4 I was a Cub hater. Thier fans have made me this way, the media has made me this way. If you cut my wrist all that bleeds out is silver and black. I was over stating my point.

bc2k
10-08-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
Chicago should be a working class city, and the Sox represent that.

Sandburg coined Chicago as the "city of big shoulders" after seeing all the dock laborers. He wasn't watching rainbows in Wrigleyville.

Chisox353014
10-08-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by idseer
i think this is the stupidest thing about sox fans that i ever come across. it's absolutely ignorant to think you can only be a true sox fan if you hate the cubs. i don't hate the cubs and i'll put up my 'fanness' against anyone here.
where was it ever written you had to hate one team to root for another? you actually use words like 'traitor' and 'fair weathered'.
listen to yourselves! it's little better than gang mentality.
and please spare me the crap about their owners. anyone take a look at ours lately?


get a clue!

Have you ever been to a Sox-Cubs game? Seriously, this is not a one-way street we're talking about here. Maybe Sox fans in general have more vitriol for the other side, but there are PLENTY of Flubbie fans who hate the South Side and Sox fans. And that's the way it should be as far as I'm concerned. Nothing is more annoying to me than a "Chicago baseball fan", or someone telling me I should be rootin' for the Cubbies just cause they're from Chicago. Ummm, I dislike everything about your team and I'm sure as hell not going to root for them now just because they're in the playoffs. Besides, how insanely boring would it be if EVERYONE was rooting for the Flubs?

QueerGirrl
10-08-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by ssang
I disagree with you. Hating the Cubs is part of the package of being a Sox fan. It's what makes our experience as White Sox fans so unique. To us, rooting for a baseball team involves more than just love for one team......we must Hate the Cubs too! As far as I'm concerned, anyone who roots for both teams might as well just be a Cub fan. In fact, I think that becuase most Sox fans (the real ones anyways) hate the Cubs, it forms an even closer bond among the fans than any other major league ballclub. It's like it's US vs. THEM. And we all know that 95% of this country would love to see the Cubs succeed. We must stick together in our hatred for the Cubs as it is our duty and right as White Sox fans. It's just one of those things. The sky is blue, the grass is green, sugar makes you fat, and if you are a White Sox fan you HATE the Cubs. It's just another cylce of life.

WHO's WITH ME!?!?!

I'm with you 100%

joejacksonsshoes
10-08-2003, 06:12 PM
I hope this makes sense:

I like carrots. I don't like peas.

Some people like peas and carrots. Good for them. I don't.

Furthur more, no matter how good someone else tells me those peas are, I don't like 'em and I'm not buying 'em.
__________________

To be a White Sox fan in this town.

mandmandm
10-10-2003, 04:26 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/chi-0310100334oct10,1,7458323.column?coll=chi-news-col

This was basically my night on Wednesday come third inning except I have satellite and was able to get FX.

voodoochile
10-10-2003, 05:52 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ll=chi-news-col

This was basically my night on Wednesday come third inning except I have satellite and was able to get FX.

*****! Comcast sucks. No problems with RCN. If that were me, it would be the last bill they ever sent me that got paid.

GoSox2K3
10-10-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
Sandburg coined Chicago as the "city of big shoulders" after seeing all the dock laborers. He wasn't watching rainbows in Wrigleyville.

:chimp
When did Ryno ever say that? He's the only Sandburg I have heard of.

Realist
10-10-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by ssang
I disagree with you. Hating the Cubs is part of the package of being a Sox fan. It's what makes our experience as White Sox fans so unique. To us, rooting for a baseball team involves more than just love for one team......we must Hate the Cubs too! As far as I'm concerned, anyone who roots for both teams might as well just be a Cub fan. In fact, I think that becuase most Sox fans (the real ones anyways) hate the Cubs, it forms an even closer bond among the fans than any other major league ballclub. It's like it's US vs. THEM. And we all know that 95% of this country would love to see the Cubs succeed. We must stick together in our hatred for the Cubs as it is our duty and right as White Sox fans. It's just one of those things. The sky is blue, the grass is green, sugar makes you fat, and if you are a White Sox fan you HATE the Cubs. It's just another cylce of life.

WHO's WITH ME!?!?!

I'm with you 100%. A few of years ago the Indians were playing the Cubs and we were battling the Indians for first place. I had to root for the Cubs. I believe the internal conflict gave me a noticable twitch