PDA

View Full Version : Sully's N.B.C. Article

DrCrawdad
10-03-2003, 07:47 AM
But with an absence of advertising and Jumbotrons, (The Shrine) is really the only old-school ballpark left in the major leagues. - Paul Sullivan, Cubune 10/3/2003 (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/cs-031002cubswrigley,1,763233.story)

The absence of advertising makes The Shrine the only old-school ballpark left? Here's a couple questions for you Sully.

Which professional ballparks of old were free of advertisements?

As far as I know most, if not all, other professional ballparks HAD advertising so how does The Shrine not having advertising make it old-school?

Some people in management and some players donít understand that we are here to write the truth, not be public relations agents. I feel like Iíve always done that and I feel longtime Tribune readers respect that. That may be why Iím no longer covering the Cubs, but Iím better off with the Sox anyway. - Paul Sullivan, 2002 Interview with WSI.

Sully, seems that you've learned your lesson. You're doing a fine job burying your nose up the Cubune's arse with these VineLine worthy articles now.

http://spindys.com/Comics/DEC2001/rudolfthebrownnose.jpg

Hangar18
10-03-2003, 09:55 AM
To give the Wrigley Credit for not having a JumboTron and Advertising on the outfield walls, Is like Crediting A Chinese restaurant for not having Hamburgers and HotDogs on their
menu's. Stupid. Everyone and their mother knows (except foolish cub fans) that the cubs are STUCK. THEY CANT put
advertising on the Walls, it will cover the Ivy. THEY CANT put a new JumbTron in CenterField, Otherwise, the Media will not be able to talk about the "delightful" hand operated scoreboard.
Truth is, the place is a Landmark, and they CANT do any of those things. And that Pisses the Cubs off, they cant make even more $$$$ on advertising.

Hangar18
10-03-2003, 09:59 AM
Just think, if the Owners Committee HADNT feared Eddie DeBartolo and shot his bid down to buy the SOX, thus allowing Reinsdorfs group to BUY the Cubs, JR wouldve removed the Ivy off the wall to have Ad Space, put up Huge BUDWEISER signs on the Fences, so that the ROOFTOP owners Couldnt get a Free View anymore, bought the buildings on Waveland, Razed them, and had parking there. Wouldve gotten an alderman to help repeal liquor licenses within 1 mile of Wrigley and alienated his
fan base. how awesome would that have been ????

woodenleg
10-03-2003, 10:04 AM
Don't give me that "no ad" crap - I've seen that cheap-ass Sears sign.

I mean, Sears. One loser deserves another.

Brian26
10-03-2003, 10:06 AM
Two excellent posts by Hangar. Absolutely correct...the Cubs would never put up advertising or change the scoreboard because they don't have room without sacrificing their meal ticket anyway. As Crawdad already stated...look at any old pictures of Fenway, Shibe, Ebbets, Crosley, Forbes...they all had HUGE billboards and advertisements all over their outfield walls. The lack of advertising doesn't make Wrigley old-school at all.

Hangar18
10-03-2003, 10:16 AM
So what is the net result/Grade for Sullivans Article.
F
A waste of time, ink and paper. since it took 5 minutes for me
to read it, and lets say I make 10bucks an hour, Id say
Mr. Sullivan owes me .83 cents, hell lets round up. Sullivan
owes me a Buck, and anyone else that had to read that Already-Written before article

Hangar18
10-03-2003, 10:26 AM
...and what bothers me most about that article, is that
18,743 stupid cub fans will then Spew what they just read today, and like Lemmings, all say "hey mon, at least wrigley is Old School, we dont have Kennedy Expressway Billboards in our stadium like the Cell, because were old school man".
Carol Sleazak and Jackass Couch will then write articles directly from Murhpys and SportsCorner, Celebrating the the "fact" 98% Cub Fans "love their 'old-school stadium with no billboards'

woodenleg
10-03-2003, 10:49 AM
Of course not - there are more than enough billboards in the surrounding neighborhood, which the Flubs show no respect for anyway. So once again, it is a serious oversight.

You don't need them in the park when you can put them outside of it, where 3x the people will see them.

fuzzy_patters
10-03-2003, 11:11 AM
The stupid part about the article is that Wrigley had billboards on its walls when it was new. If they want to make it "old school," they should cut down the ivey and put the billboards back up. Then it would be just like it was in the 1910s-1930s.

Hangar18
10-03-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
The stupid part about the article is that Wrigley had billboards on its walls when it was new. If they want to make it "old school," they should cut down the ivey and put the billboards back up. Then it would be just like it was in the 1910s-1930s.

Anyway we can send this to Paul Sullivan and that know-it-all-blow-hard baseball historian Bob Costas ?

TDog
10-03-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters

If you want to talk old school, the green monster in Fenway Park wasn't always green. Before it was painted, the wall was covered with advertising.

When the new ballpark opened in Baltimore, people were raving about its retro -- old school -- aspects, including adds on the outfield walls.

I don't go to the ballpark to watch the game, not the skyline outside ballpark, the ivy on the walls or the people enjoying themselves in an advertising-free environment. I wouldn't make a very good Cubs fan.

DrCrawdad
10-03-2003, 01:28 PM
That's my point. A truly "Old-school" ballpark is one chock-full of ads. I want Sully to give some examples of "old-school" ballparks that did NOT have ads.

As I pointed to a Cubbie fan friend, all the things that people fawn about at The Shrine are later additions or changes.