PDA

View Full Version : Sox Game Times Survey

npdempse
10-02-2003, 04:43 PM
The organization is definitely considering changing the start times of games, per this survey they just sent out--

http://lists.mlb.com/u/300899/11012962

It seems, as has been rumored here, that they mostly are thinking that they'll get more people if they start games later.

white sox bill
10-02-2003, 05:16 PM
Field a pennant winner and starting times won't matter.

QueerGirrl
10-02-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by white sox bill

Ditto!!!

voodoochile
10-02-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by white sox bill

I don't know if that is true or not. Yes, they will get attention and attendance with a pennant winner, but can they maximize that potential gain by changing the game times? Can they get more people to come to the park with later times even without a pennant winner - thus giving them more money to spend on a winning club?

It was hard for me to vote on the survey, because I will continue to go to games no matter what. I wish there were some "No difference" options because some start times will effect my ability and desire to go to games, and some won't.

Foulke You
10-02-2003, 05:46 PM
My 2 cents:

Moving the start times on weekday games to 7:35 would be a smart idea. When you consider the horrid traffic patterns in Chicago you have to give people more time to get to the ballpark, especially on a Friday. I can't tell you how many times I see late arriving crowds at Comiskey, especially on Fridays.

Moving start times on Sundays to 2PM would also be good. For myself, I like to sleep in on Sunday so 2 or 2:30PM would make it much easier to make it to a game on a Sunday for me. Plus, many people have Sunday obligations like church in the mornings. Giving them more time might encourage people to go.

soxtalker
10-02-2003, 06:34 PM
This is a tough decision for them. Moving the games back might get some more people who drive in from the suburbs. But you're also moving back the ending time, and that might drive some people away -- particularly those who work downtown.

The Cubs have a lot of (potential) young (20's, 30's) fans able and willing to spend money within a few miles. I don't think that's true for the Sox, though it might be in a few years as the city rebuilds.

MRKARNO
10-02-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
This is a tough decision for them. Moving the games back might get some more people who drive in from the suburbs. But you're also moving back the ending time, and that might drive some people away -- particularly those who work downtown.

The Cubs have a lot of (potential) young (20's, 30's) fans able and willing to spend money within a few miles. I don't think that's true for the Sox, though it might be in a few years as the city rebuilds.

As south loop and west loop gate develop, I would imagine that the attendence at sox games will rise

ChiWhiteSox1337
10-02-2003, 07:39 PM
i'd love it for them to move 1:05 day games in september and august to around 4, so i can watch them after school

Rocklive99
10-02-2003, 07:42 PM
Personally I don't like it. I live about 1 hour away from the park, and my way of getting there has work early the next day and I have school. Then again, you can't make everyone happy, and I usually just goto weekend games anyways, but I still like 7 better

MRKARNO
10-02-2003, 07:58 PM
I really like the idea of the 4:05 game. I went to both of the 3:05 games this year (opening day and cubs-sox) and found them to be very enjoyable times to watch. This way I could go with friends right after school and come home in time to do homework :smile:

LuvSox
10-02-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
i'd love it for them to move 1:05 day games in september and august to around 4, so i can watch them after school

I don't usually go to day games during the week because they get done around 4:00 or so. Outbound traffic is a nightmare then, so I dig changing the start time on day games.

Dadawg_77
10-02-2003, 10:09 PM
The latter the start for weekend day games the better. This way it gives more time to recover from the hangover. The time really makes no difference to me, since all I am going to do is hop the Red Line and not deal with traffic.

whitesoxwilkes
10-02-2003, 10:17 PM
I work 10:30 to 7:30 daily and go to a ton of weeknight games. Normally I get to the park at about 8 if I run to the red line from my office...I'd love to be able to only miss 1 or 2 innings instead of 3.

My compadre on my shift is also a huge Sox fan and comes with me a lot...had him fill out the survey too.

I like the Sunday 1 pm starts though. Leaves enough time to do something Sunday evening.