PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the 10/1 Braves and the Sox hitting coaches

fuzzy_patters
10-02-2003, 04:19 PM
Last night I was watching the Cubs/Braves game 2, and I noticed something unique about the Braves hitters. The wind was blowing in, and the Braves were having trouble hitting Carlos Zambrano. Sometime around the fourth or fifth inning, all of the Braves hitters began to shorten up their swings and take the ball up the middle or the other way. A few of them swung a little early and pulled the ball, but the effort was still the same. The Braves had adjusted to a line drive approach to hitting.

I had to stop and ask myself why this adjustment seems like such an anomaly, and I realized that the Sox have not made in-game team adjustments to hitting since Walt Hrniak was here. In the early nineties, the Sox would routinely start shortening their swings against pitchers they hadn't seen before or were having trouble with. I think this probably has a lot to do with the feast or famine offenses of the past few years, and it is something that needs to be rectified.

pudge
10-02-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
Last night I was watching the Cubs/Braves game 2, and I noticed something unique about the Braves hitters. The wind was blowing in, and the Braves were having trouble hitting Carlos Zambrano. Sometime around the fourth or fifth inning, all of the Braves hitters began to shorten up their swings and take the ball up the middle or the other way. A few of them swung a little early and pulled the ball, but the effort was still the same. The Braves had adjusted to a line drive approach to hitting.

I had to stop and ask myself why this adjustment seems like such an anomaly, and I realized that the Sox have not made in-game team adjustments to hitting since Walt Hrniak was here. In the early nineties, the Sox would routinely start shortening their swings against pitchers they hadn't seen before or were having trouble with. I think this probably has a lot to do with the feast or famine offenses of the past few years, and it is something that needs to be rectified.

Amen, bro. If we don't start taking a different approach in the box, we'll always finish #2.

thepaulbowski
10-02-2003, 06:24 PM

Morgan starting talking about Pendleton (I believe he is there hitting coach) and how he was going through that with some of the players in the dugout. But, wouldn't it be nice, if the players could realize this on their own?

soxtalker
10-02-2003, 06:28 PM

Remind those of us who have forgotten -- why was Hrniak dropped as hitting coach?

Daver
10-02-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
Remind those of us who have forgotten -- why was Hrniak dropped as hitting coach?

Because the entire team with the exception of Robin and Frank hated him.

soxtalker
10-02-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Daver

Why?

Daver
10-02-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
Why?

Walt's (actually Charlie Lau's) hitting style does not work well with many hitters,it worked with Frank and Robin and that was it,and Walt was a my way or the highway style coach,so the rest of the team were basically left on their own if they didn't want to do things Walt's way.

Walt would have been better off hiring out as a paid hitting instructor instead of taking a job as a hitting coach.

Dadawg_77
10-02-2003, 10:11 PM
Why not go with co- hitting coaches? This way you have a person who could help out someone with a different style. I think Frank was somewhat hampered by not having someone who understood the Lau style.

thepaulbowski
10-03-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Why not go with co- hitting coaches? This way you have a person who could help out someone with a different style. I think Frank was somewhat hampered by not having someone who understood the Lau style.

Isn't that what the Sox kind of did this year with Greg Walker & Harold? I know Harold came when Walker broke his arm, but he seemed to stick around after Walker came back.

gosox41
10-03-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Daver

I always liked Hriniak. I heard he was too intense for some of the players (and their big egos) but he got results. It's too bad he coudln't lighten up a bit on the personality front. If he were here for the 2003 Sox this team slump never would have been as long.

Bob