PDA

View Full Version : Rosenthal On Sox Manager

Lip Man 1
10-02-2003, 01:55 PM
I'm posting this to provide information only not to throw names around...thank you!

Ken Rosenthal was on The Sporting News radio network taking phone calls and talking about the managerial openings so I contacted my friend who is a senior producer there and they were kind enough to put me through.

Peter Brown was the host and I've know Peter a long time, (he had me as a guest on his show the day of the White Flag Trade) so he started off by kidding me about 'do the Sox still play in Chicago?...' I said "not according to Cub fans but the fact is they only won two more games then the Sox this season but that's a different story..." and everybody laughed.

I asked Ken "On Monday at the press conference Ken Williams said the entire coaching staff would be back except for Bruce Kimm, what does that do to the hiring process and does that automatically mean those coaches are back with the major league team?"

Ken answered "That's a great question and I just wrote a column about the whole White Sox situation. You look at the Orioles who retained their whole coaching staff and who did they hire? Mike Hargrove. That situation prevents the Sox from hiring any type of big name. Personally I didn't believe the talk about Tony LaRussa but even if he was interested in the job, do you think he's not going to bring along Dave Duncan? Keeping the coaching staff changes the field and tells me that the Sox are going to go the low budget approach with a manager. Jerry Manuel is still on the payroll and they are not going to pay a lot of money to have two managers."

Peter then asked me, "Mark you've followed this team for a number of years, who do you think the Sox are going to hire?"

I said "Unfortunately I think it's going to be either Cito Gaston or Ozzie Guillen. " Peter went "yeeekkkk....boy I can't wait to see the Orioles play the White Sox, Eddie Murray against Ozzie Guillen."

Ken then said "Cito certainly accomplished some things with the Jays, he won back to back World Series, but the question is 'why hasn't he been able to find another job since then? That bug me. I'm just not sure a guy who's been away from the game that long is a good fit and you're going to put him in Chicago? With the pressure that's now on that franchise?"

Peter then mentioned Mike Hargrove saying "Meanwhile Mike Hargrove has already called the Sox like four times since the job has opened, he's begging for it. " Ken answered, "Mike is a competent manager but he's not dynamic."

So there you have it. For what it's worth.

Lip

valposoxfan
10-02-2003, 02:04 PM
Kinda depressing...

SoxxoS
10-02-2003, 02:05 PM
I am not big fans of any of those guys...is death an option?

Ozzie has no managerial experience. Neither did Mike Scoscia (sp>), but neither did Jerry Manuel. It seems like lightning in a bottle there. I, for one, don't want our staff trying to find that guy.

Cito Gaston-Agreed with what Rosenthal said. Why hasn't he found another job somewhere else? The guy won two World Series'. That scares me.

Hargrove-Decent choice. However, did you see the team he had with the Indians in the mid 90's? It would be hard to screw that up (Although we all know who can.). Baltimore was a waste, he didn't have any team there. When David Segui is an intricate part of your offense...

Here is a name that nobody has mentioned that I wouldn't mind-
Davey Johnson? That is the ex-Orioles manger I would like to see. I remember I talked to him at a celebrity golf outing in Lake Tahoe, right after Bevington got fired. I shouted out to him "Hey Davey, the White Sox would love to have you." He looked back and smiled and said "We'll see."

I also wouldn't mind Larry Dierker, as he has been talked about before.

TraderTim
10-02-2003, 02:11 PM
Lip:

Nice piece. Thanks.

Why would Cito require him to wait for the World Series to be over? That's the part that scares me...That sounds much more like Ozzie or another inexperienced guy is the front runner and the rest will most likely get lip service.

Forkit!

SoxxoS
10-02-2003, 02:14 PM
Nice article on Davey Johnson (no mention of White Sox) (http://www.artbabyart.com/untrainedeye.htm)

After reading that, how can you NOT want him?

white sox bill
10-02-2003, 02:25 PM
Anyone, just not Ozzy---we don't need another apprentice!

hold2dibber
10-02-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
IHere is a name that nobody has mentioned that I wouldn't mind-
Davey Johnson? That is the ex-Orioles manger I would like to see. I remember I talked to him at a celebrity golf outing in Lake Tahoe, right after Bevington got fired. I shouted out to him "Hey Davey, the White Sox would love to have you." He looked back and smiled and said "We'll see."

I also wouldn't mind Larry Dierker, as he has been talked about before.

I've been touting Davey Johnson (along with Jim Leyland0 since before the All Star break, but I have never seen anyone in a position of any authority suggest that that was even on the Sox' radar screen.

I still like Johnson, I like Dierker, I think Gaston would be a good choice, and even Fregosi would be okay. I don't know what to think about Backman - is he a yeller and a screamer (like Bowa)? I do not think this team will respond to that - but I don't think you need that to get guys to play hard all the time.

SoxxoS
10-02-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I've been touting Davey Johnson (along with Jim Leyland0 since before the All Star break, but I have never seen anyone in a position of any authority suggest that that was even on the Sox' radar screen.

I still like Johnson, I like Dierker, I think Gaston would be a good choice, and even Fregosi would be okay. I don't know what to think about Backman - is he a yeller and a screamer (like Bowa)? I do not think this team will respond to that - but I don't think you need that to get guys to play hard all the time.

They didn't respond to Manuel's quiet demeanor, either. So, maybe it's time for the other extreme.

Plus, I read the Barons were 8th in the league in home runs, but third in the league in runs scored.
You mean he knows how to get his team to score without the 3 run homer? No way.

hold2dibber
10-02-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
They didn't respond to Manuel's quiet demeanor, either. So, maybe it's time for the other extreme.

Plus, I read the Barons were 8th in the league in home runs, but third in the league in runs scored.
You mean he knows how to get his team to score without the 3 run homer? No way.

I certainly don't want a push over like Manuel. I want someone who is decisive and commands respect not by yelling and screaming, but by setting up standards to which the players must adhere, making players accountable when they don't get the job done, and who will accept nothing less than full out effort and focus at all times. You don't need to be a screamer to accomplish those things, as, for example, Joe Torre, Mike Scoscia and Ron Gardenhire have proven. I think the current Sox players would not react well to a screamer, but they would react well to a disciplinarian. There is a big difference.