PDA

View Full Version : Where are the statheads?


FarWestChicago
10-02-2003, 12:01 PM
The demigod of the statheads, Billy Beane, has his team in the playoffs. One would think our flock of young number crunchers would be watching with baited breath. You guys aren't afraid the Abremetrics will lose again and laying low unless they win are you? :smile:

BTW, I'm still in shock over tha last play of yesterday's game. I was half asleep by then. It was quite the surprise. :cool:

cheeses_h_rice
10-02-2003, 12:14 PM
Wouldn't the statheads root for the Red Sox, since Bill James is an adviser to them this year?

Soxboyrob
10-02-2003, 12:18 PM
The smaller a sample pool (i.e. playoff series), the greater the chance for a statistical anomaly. Sabermetrics work great on a grand scale like predicting what will happen over a month or a full season, or comparing what a player did vs. another player in a past season. Anything can happen in a series. Funny thing in this particular series is that both teams are pretty much run by statheads. Someone's gotta lose!

LASOXFAN
10-02-2003, 12:35 PM
theo is a total stathead as well.

and that picture of maddox makes me wonder why in the world the cubs refused to talk to him during the spring when he warned them that he wouldn't talk contract once the season started. what year was that? 98? and look where he is now. Amazing. That goes down as one of the worst moves in a long list of bad moves for the cubs. Scary how good they would be with a staff of:

Prior
Wood
Maddox
Clement
Zambrano

Hate to say it, but that would be fearsome. There's not a dog in that bunch (nor a lefty either).

FarWestChicago
10-02-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
The smaller a sample pool (i.e. playoff series), the greater the chance for a statistical anomaly. Sabermetrics work great on a grand scale like predicting what will happen over a month or a full season, or comparing what a player did vs. another player in a past season. Anything can happen in a series. Funny thing in this particular series is that both teams are pretty much run by statheads. Someone's gotta lose! Soxboy, you're supposed to pull out the sample size excuse AFTER you lose. You're jumping the gun. :smile:

Hangar18
10-02-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
theo is a total stathead as well.

and that picture of maddox makes me wonder why in the world the cubs refused to talk to him during the spring when he warned them that he wouldn't talk contract once the season started. what year was that? 98? and look where he is now. Amazing. That goes down as one of the worst moves in a long list of bad moves for the cubs. Scary how good they would be with a staff of:

Prior
Wood
Maddox
Clement
Zambrano



Hey LA, think you meant 92. Its easy to Assume it was the Cubs Fault they didnt keep Maddux. He was going to leave. He knew deep down, He wanted a Ring, and wasnt ever going to get one had he stayed. IF he had stayed, the Cubs wouldnt have been So Miserable from 92 on, and WOULDNT have Drafted Kerry Wood in 1995. Also.....had he stayed with them thru the 2000 season, they would NEVER have Gotten the #2 Pick and Never wouldve Gotten the Chance to be the First Hobo to get to Sift thru the Proverbial MLB-Dumpster-find-Gold-Rolex-Watch. A lot of What ifs, because of the Cosmic Ping-Pong Balls, and a Conflict of Interested Commissioner, they were able to LUCK OUT.
Maddux stays, They never Draft Wood nor Prior.

FarWestChicago
10-02-2003, 12:57 PM
All right, keep the Flubs crap out of my thread. :angry:

You have been warned....

Can't even have a little fun with the statheads without it getting ruined. :o:

Dadawg_77
10-02-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
The demigod of the statheads, Billy Beane, has his team in the playoffs. One would think our flock of young number crunchers would be watching with baited breath. You guys aren't afraid the Abremetrics will lose again and laying low unless they win are you? :smile:

BTW, I'm still in shock over tha last play of yesterday's game. I was half asleep by then. It was quite the surprise. :cool:

Nah, it is a battle of two organizations which use sabermetrics, with one having double the payroll of the other. Beane, if he wanted, would have been the Red Sox GM. He turn them down. Plus the game started late, and I was in bed by the 6th inning.

But if the White Sox golden age was the late 50's to 60's, which people long to get back to, I asked myself why do those people bash a team which has achieved the same results as not being successful. A little bit hypercritical.

jeremyb1
10-02-2003, 01:10 PM
I actually did watch the game last night and I very rarely watch teams other than the White Sox. Ironically if you watched you probably saw more than Billy did.

jabrch
10-02-2003, 01:13 PM
"There are many methods for predicting the future. For example, you can read horoscopes, tea leaves, tarot cards, or crystal balls. Collectively, these methods are known as "nutty methods." Or you can put well-researched facts into sophisticated computer models, more commonly referred to as "a complete waste of time."


---Scott Adams/Dilbert

FarWestChicago
10-02-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
But if the White Sox golden age was the late 50's to 60's, which people long to get back to, I asked myself why do those people bash a team which has achieved the same results as not being successful. A little bit hypercritical. :?: Dawg, don't get fired up. I'm just trying to have some fun. :smile:

Dadawg_77
10-02-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
:?: Dawg, don't get fired up. I'm just trying to have some fun. :smile:


I am not fired up, just trying to provoke.

FarWestChicago
10-02-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
I am not fired up, just trying to provoke. Cool, that's the spirit. Go for it!! :cool:

MarkEdward
10-02-2003, 05:37 PM
Well, I stayed up until 2:45 EST to watch the ending of the Sox-A's game last night, even though I had class the next day (and my roommate wasn't too happy about the TV being on that late). I'm rooting for the A's throughout the playoffs (well, unless they play the Giants). I'm taking them over the Red Sox because they're the underdogs, and they have Keith Foulke and Mark Johnson in their organization.

So, here's to an A's-Twins ALCS...

WinningUgly!
10-02-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Well, I stayed up until 2:45 EST to watch the ending of the Sox-A's game last night, even though I had class the next day (and my roommate wasn't too happy about the TV being on that late). I'm rooting for the A's throughout the playoffs (well, unless they play the Giants). I'm taking them over the Red Sox because they're the underdogs, and they have Keith Foulke and Mark Johnson in their organization.

So, here's to an A's-Twins ALCS...
What kind of White Sox fan refers to the Boston team as "Sox"?
C'mon!

MarkEdward
10-02-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
What kind of White Sox fan refers to the Boston team as "Sox"?
C'mon!

Dude, it's for the sake of brevity... :smile: