PDA

View Full Version : Mike Hargrove Thoughts?


fledgedrallycap
10-02-2003, 08:59 AM
The Suntimes reports that Mike Hargrove is interested in the White Sox job. The guy did an outstanding job with a very talented Indians team in the 90's, but tanked with a below-par Oriole team recently.

What is the excitement/confidence level everyone has in Mike Hargrove?

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox022.html

Fisk72
10-02-2003, 09:09 AM
Hargrove reminds me of Roy Williams, whereas he will get you to the big show, but can't seal the deal. Also, I'll always think of him as the hated Indians manager. Then again, as much as I hated Dennis Rodman with Detroit, I loved him when he was with the Bulls. I guess I'm indifferent with this move, although I would hope that it would help Colon decide to come back next year.

34rancher
10-02-2003, 09:19 AM
We are accumulating the rest of the old Injun team, why not him too?

Bobby Thigpen
10-02-2003, 09:32 AM
I think Hargrove is a guy who is good with a young group of players that he can bring through and get to play his style of ball and lead them to some success, but maybe not the promised land- see Cleveland. I don't necessarily see him as that good of a guy with an assortment of veterans who come from different backgrounds- see Baltimore. The Sox are not a young rebuilding team (at least I hope KW doesn't make it one) so I don't think Hargrove would fit too well.

But hey, I've been wrong before.

Hokiesox
10-02-2003, 09:52 AM
they loved him here in Baltimore. But, one thing I've noticed about Baltimore baseball fans is this: they don't know squat. Every Spring, they talk about how the yankees have overspent, and therefore the orioles will somehow be better. When the O's screw up, the announcers talk about how they can't believe their players had 4 errors in last night's game. the people around here talk about how great their players are, blah blah blah.

And, for some reason they love hargrove. Now, granted Hargrove hasn't had stellar talent here in baltimore, but he has had the SAME group of less than desireable talent for 3 years. They've shown 0 (none, zero, zilch) improvement over a 3 year span. He's good at developing nothing. And I don't see him being able to improve the white sox from their mediocrity.

Bring in Gaston, the Alomars like him and he will do fine.

kraut83
10-02-2003, 10:17 AM
Hokie you're right about O's fans, they're pretty much Flubs East! Yes, the talent there sucks, but has anyone noticed the choke job the O's have pulled at the end of the last few seasons? No thanks, I'll pass on Hargrove.

voodoochile
10-02-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by 34rancher
We are accumulating the rest of the old Injun team, why not him too?

With Patterson's return next year, Lofton should be available too.

Hargrove reminds me of Roy Williams, whereas he will get you to the big show, but can't seal the deal.

He came " " that close to "sealing the deal", but his bullpen and defense let him down. They were 1 strike away from winning it all IIRC. Sometimes it isn't the managers fault (yes, even Jerry Manuel). I was thinking about Hargrove as an option just 1/2 hour ago. I wouldn't be adverse to it, but I doubt he is on the Sox list.

fledgedrallycap
10-02-2003, 12:52 PM
If you ask me, Hargrove and Gaston are almost the same manager. When talent was put in thier hands, they did the job and did it very well.

This may or may not be the best stance, but I would prefer Hargrove due to there must be a reason/perception out there which has prevented Cito Gaston from getting a managerial job. The man has two rings and the phone isn't ringing? What gives? Maybe it is because his track record with youth isn't great and the oppurtunity to take over a talented/veteran team hasn't come along.

duke of dorwood
10-02-2003, 07:32 PM
The guy co-existed with Albert Belle-cant be that bad

SoxxoS
10-02-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
If you ask me, Hargrove and Gaston are almost the same manager. When talent was put in thier hands, they did the job and did it very well.

This may or may not be the best stance, but I would prefer Hargrove due to there must be a reason/perception out there which has prevented Cito Gaston from getting a managerial job. The man has two rings and the phone isn't ringing? What gives? Maybe it is because his track record with youth isn't great and the oppurtunity to take over a talented/veteran team hasn't come along.

That is the scariest thing about Gaston. Nobody has any explanation for it, either. Can't argue with 2 rings.

VeeckAsInWreck
10-02-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
The guy co-existed with Albert Belle-cant be that bad

:jerry
"I did too,for one season, and look at what I accomplished!"

Tragg
10-02-2003, 10:22 PM
Pass on Hargrove - just another mediocre retread

fuzzy_patters
10-02-2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
That is the scariest thing about Gaston. Nobody has any explanation for it, either. Can't argue with 2 rings.

Dick Vermiel spent a lot more time out of football than Cito Gaston has out of baseball, and I think he is still a pretty good coach. For that matter, Joe Torre couldn't get a job in baseball for a long time, either. Although, unlike Vermiel and Gaston, Torre hadn't won anything to that point. The Sox should take advantage of the other owner's stupidity and higher Cito Gaston.

RichH55
10-03-2003, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
Dick Vermiel spent a lot more time out of football than Cito Gaston has out of baseball, and I think he is still a pretty good coach. For that matter, Joe Torre couldn't get a job in baseball for a long time, either. Although, unlike Vermiel and Gaston, Torre hadn't won anything to that point. The Sox should take advantage of the other owner's stupidity and higher Cito Gaston.

Dick Vermiel burned out ....Torre got into a good situation......I'm not sold on Cito Gaston in the least

fuzzy_patters
10-03-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
Dick Vermiel burned out ....Torre got into a good situation......I'm not sold on Cito Gaston in the least

That was my point. I believe Cito resigned from the Blue Jays. He very well might have burned out, as well.