PDA

View Full Version : What is Plan B?

hold2dibber
10-01-2003, 04:35 PM
KW has been quoted in the papers as saying that if Colon doesn't accept the Sox' offer, they will go to plan B. My question is, what do people think plan B is? Here are some of my guesses:

1. Try to sign Millwood
2. Try to sign Livan Hernandez
3. Try to trade for Javier Vazquez
4. Try to trade for Odalis Perez
5. Try to sign Andy Petitte

gosox41
10-01-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
KW has been quoted in the papers as saying that if Colon doesn't accept the Sox' offer, they will go to plan B. My question is, what do people think plan B is? Here are some of my guesses:

1. Try to sign Millwood

I have no idea, but it makes me nervous. KW has got to make some intelligent trades like Everett and Alomar.

The last 2 offseasons he has made 2 bad trades. The Wells/Fogg trade arguable kept this team from winning or at least being a lot closer to the Twins in 2002.

I've said enough about the Foulke for Koch trade, but the Sox would prboably be in the playoffs if they still had Foulke.

So it's good to see Kenny take 2 steps forward, he just needs to aboud taking 1 huge one backwards like he's been doing.

Bob

KingXerxes
10-01-2003, 04:48 PM
KW's Plan B:

Release Colon
Release Everett
Trade Ordonez for Richie Sexson

Trade Loaiza, Lee and some prospects so as to obtain the rights to Rob Deer, Steve Balboni, Bob Robertson, Gorman Thomas, Dave Kingman, Frank Howard and Darrell Evans.

:KW

"Man we're going to smoke some major home runs next year."

Hangar18
10-01-2003, 04:56 PM

1. Try to sign Millwood

I like Choice 1 & 3. but definitely not Door #2. GoSox is
Very Right in saying, whatever Trade we do make, WE HAVE TO ANALYZE IT BETTER than the way we did the last 2 Bomb Trades he made. make no mistake, the Ritchie Deal hurt us bigtime.
The Koch Trade is Arguably the worst trade hes made so far.
Both cost us the Following Seasons .....

Lip Man 1
10-01-2003, 06:06 PM
That's a very interesting question. I'm sure the answer will be stranger then the speculation.

Lip

RichH55
10-01-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I like Choice 1 & 3. but definitely not Door #2. GoSox is
Very Right in saying, whatever Trade we do make, WE HAVE TO ANALYZE IT BETTER than the way we did the last 2 Bomb Trades he made. make no mistake, the Ritchie Deal hurt us bigtime.
The Koch Trade is Arguably the worst trade hes made so far.
Both cost us the Following Seasons .....

The Clayton deal is still the worst he has made

MRKARNO
10-01-2003, 10:23 PM
Plan B isnt the scary one, it's plan C that's really scary

RKMeibalane
10-01-2003, 10:48 PM
I don't have a preference on who they sign (yet), just as long as it isn't Jamie Navarro.

DrCrawdad
10-01-2003, 10:51 PM

1. Try to sign Millwood

IIRC Millwood's agent is Scott Boras. If that is the case, then forget Millwood.

Chisoxfn
10-02-2003, 12:29 AM
Since when is LIvan a free agent? Didn't he reach his option?

LASOXFAN
10-02-2003, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
KW's Plan B:

Release Colon
Release Everett
Trade Ordonez for Richie Sexson

Trade Loaiza, Lee and some prospects so as to obtain the rights to Rob Deer, Steve Balboni, Bob Robertson, Gorman Thomas, Dave Kingman, Frank Howard and Darrell Evans.

:KW

"Man we're going to smoke some major home runs next year."

fine moves! :cool:

LASOXFAN
10-02-2003, 02:52 AM
Plan B...

with that money he can sign Carl and everything I read about KW on Carl suggests that he really, really, really wants to sign him. Because he's an idiot he'll throw money at Robbie too, which is a shame. I say give it to Willie for a season. What the hell did you bring him here for if it wasn't to play?

As for pitching, I think he'll go after a lefty, probably Perez but I think LA will sign him back. Twins don't hit lefty's so good and KW knows he has to beat the Twins. And the Tigers, of course. :angry:

34 Inch Stick
10-02-2003, 08:53 AM
You absolutely cannot go into the year with Willie as your starting second baseman. Even if he has an incredible spring he has to be on the bench until he can prove that he can hit in the majors. He also needs to prove he can field second base like a major leaguer. Willie has some interesting talents but he is still very raw.

MHOUSE
10-02-2003, 10:06 PM
#1 re-sign Colon
#2 re-sign Alomar

If we can't get Colon then go after Pettite first and then Hernandez. Pettite is quietly one of the top pitchers in the league. Consistently wins 15 games and got 20 this year. He'd be a HUGE pickup. I'd take Livan Hernandez next and then maybe Millwood, but he struggled later on. No young phenoms for me, I want REAL established pitchers.

No Alomar means Harris and Miles are your second basemen. That's a scary thought at least initially. Miles showed that he can get hits which I like, but I want Alomar leading off for a contender instead of two older AAA guys.

RichH55
10-02-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
#1 re-sign Colon
#2 re-sign Alomar

If we can't get Colon then go after Pettite first and then Hernandez. Pettite is quietly one of the top pitchers in the league. Consistently wins 15 games and got 20 this year. He'd be a HUGE pickup. I'd take Livan Hernandez next and then maybe Millwood, but he struggled later on. No young phenoms for me, I want REAL established pitchers.

No Alomar means Harris and Miles are your second basemen. That's a scary thought at least initially. Miles showed that he can get hits which I like, but I want Alomar leading off for a contender instead of two older AAA guys.

Well I like Pettite(probably not at the price he will wind up getting).......Talking about wins to show the value of Yankees Pitchers doesnt exactly blow my skirt up

Tragg
10-02-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
Plan B...

with that money he can sign Carl and everything I read about KW on Carl suggests that he really, really, really wants to sign him. Because he's an idiot he'll throw money at Robbie too, which is a shame. I say give it to Willie for a season. What the hell did you bring him here for if it wasn't to play?

As for pitching, I think he'll go after a lefty, probably Perez but I think LA will sign him back. Twins don't hit lefty's so good and KW knows he has to beat the Twins. And the Tigers, of course. :angry:

We can't be talking about more than a couple of mill to sign either alomar or everett, can we??

voodoochile
10-02-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
We can't be talking about more than a couple of mill to sign either alomar or everett, can we??

I would think Everett could get $5M/year this off season pretty easily.

RichH55
10-02-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I would think Everett could get $5M/year this off season pretty easily.

Agreed...The Economics have changed...but not everyone is going to only get a million and a half./....just Jose:)

fuzzy_patters
10-02-2003, 10:38 PM
#1 re-sign Colon
#2 re-sign Alomar

One of the announcers tonight, either Tim McCarver or Joe Buck, mentioned that Pettite would like to play in Texas, closer to his children. Unless neither Houston or Texas want him, I'm assuming that puts the Sox out of the running.

MHOUSE
10-02-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
One of the announcers tonight, either Tim McCarver or Joe Buck, mentioned that Pettite would like to play in Texas, closer to his children. Unless neither Houston or Texas want him, I'm assuming that puts the Sox out of the running.

Petitte has talent. That wouldn't mix well with a lot of the players in the Texas clubhouse I hear..... :D: Even if he was going home, how can you go from the NYY to the Texas Rangers?

RichH55
10-03-2003, 01:33 AM
Petitte has talent. That wouldn't mix well with a lot of the players in the Texas clubhouse I hear..... :D: Even if he was going home, how can you go from the NYY to the Texas Rangers?

You should still have good O...that should help him...and the money should be there too

soxtalker
10-03-2003, 06:41 AM
I don't have any idea what KW's plan B is, though, if I look at his past history, it will probably involve the acquisition of a big name. Having said that, I'd prefer that he not do that. Rather, I'd like to see him go after two or three low-cost longer-shot guys like Loaiza. The big-name off-season signings haven't worked out too well for the most part, Colon being an obvious exception.

Jjav829
10-03-2003, 07:40 AM
The D'backs declined their option on Miguel Batista yesterday. They will still try to keep him but hes worth a look. Not that he should necessarily be Plan B, but I wouldn't mind seeing KW go after Batista.

hold2dibber
10-03-2003, 08:39 AM
[BNo Alomar means Harris and Miles are your second basemen. That's a scary thought at least initially. Miles showed that he can get hits which I like, but I want Alomar leading off for a contender instead of two older AAA guys. [/B]

I agree that neither Harris nor Miles is going to cut it, but I don't see why Alomar is the only other options. I have heard rumors that the Angels may cut Adam Kennedy loose. I don't know whether he is any good defensively, but he gets on base at about a .340 clip, steals about 20 bases, and hits about 10 HRs per year. Plus, he is, in KW's words, a "grinder". I think he would be a great fit, if he's available. Also, Luis Castillo will be on the market (although likely too expensive), and the Cardinals likely will cut Fernando Vina loose - he has a great glove and a half decent bat.

My point is, I hope KW doesn't default to Robbie - he has his pluses, but he does seem to be fading with the bat. If Alomar is the choice, however, the Sox really need to find a CF or SS that can lead off. I think it would be a mistake to re-sign Robbie with the idea that he is still capable of leading off. If you sign him, it's because he can field, run the bases and bunt. Not because he can ignite an offense any more.

Win1ForMe
10-03-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
The D'backs declined their option on Miguel Batista yesterday. They will still try to keep him but hes worth a look. Not that he should necessarily be Plan B, but I wouldn't mind seeing KW go after Batista.

That's a very good idea, he's an underrated pitcher. Although, like you said, probably not good enough for Plan B.

RichH55
10-03-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829

I noticed that too.....I put him with Alvarez and Hitchcock as bottom of rotation guys who shouldn't cost a ton

I'd rank them:
1. Hitchcock
2. Alvarez(I can go either way on 1-2, but I think Hitchcock will cost less)
3. Batista

RichH55
10-03-2003, 02:46 PM
I agree that neither Harris nor Miles is going to cut it, but I don't see why Alomar is the only other options. I have heard rumors that the Angels may cut Adam Kennedy loose. I don't know whether he is any good defensively, but he gets on base at about a .340 clip, steals about 20 bases, and hits about 10 HRs per year. Plus, he is, in KW's words, a "grinder". I think he would be a great fit, if he's available. Also, Luis Castillo will be on the market (although likely too expensive), and the Cardinals likely will cut Fernando Vina loose - he has a great glove and a half decent bat.

My point is, I hope KW doesn't default to Robbie - he has his pluses, but he does seem to be fading with the bat. If Alomar is the choice, however, the Sox really need to find a CF or SS that can lead off. I think it would be a mistake to re-sign Robbie with the idea that he is still capable of leading off. If you sign him, it's because he can field, run the bases and bunt. Not because he can ignite an offense any more.

You are much better off with Alomar than Vina