PDA

View Full Version : Someone Else's Image is Tarnished too


Hangar18
10-01-2003, 01:57 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/rapoport/cst-spt-rap01.html


Funny how I never remember this being talked about. Rapoport breaks a big rule here "outing" the Cubs, but kudos to him for digging this up and reporting on it. Very Timely

Hangar18
10-01-2003, 02:01 PM
Im being serious when I say I never knew about this before.
Kind of tells you how tough it was for BallPlayers back in
the day

woodenleg
10-01-2003, 02:15 PM
Yes, I have that book on order so that I can see exactly what it says.

It's not surprising though.

cheeses_h_rice
10-01-2003, 02:27 PM
How come we never read **** like this about the Yankees?

Good god this city is cursed...and not in a cute, "good" way, either.

washington
10-01-2003, 02:42 PM
Interesting story, I haven't heard it before, maybe the Cubune will include it with the rest of its expanded playoffs coverage.

IIRC, Ty Cobb and Tris Speaker were accused of fixing a game in late 1919 (so that one of their teams would finish in second place & get the associated bonus money). Both players were later "cleared" by the Commissioner but supposedly more to avoid a scandal than because of a lack of evidence.

woodenleg
10-01-2003, 02:44 PM
Who will tell the flubbies?

Now that they have their own sports section - the "Cubs Extra", they probably haven't seen it.

Where did I put the scissors?

"Say it ain't so, uh.......Hippo"

xil357
10-01-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
http://www.suntimes.com/output/rapoport/cst-spt-rap01.html


Funny how I never remember this being talked about. Rapoport breaks a big rule here "outing" the Cubs, but kudos to him for digging this up and reporting on it. Very Timely


WOW

I never had heard of this either?

TornLabrum? Have you heard of this?

WOW

Foulke You
10-01-2003, 03:50 PM
Very interesting. It wouldn't surprise me. The 1919 White Sox were probably just the first team to get caught fixing games, not the first team that actually did it.

Viva Magglio
10-01-2003, 05:17 PM
I have NEVER heard of this before. With all that has been written about Cubs history, I'm surprised (well, not really now that I think about it) that these allegations have never been talked about before.

Lip Man 1
10-01-2003, 06:03 PM
In one of his earlier book historian / stat geek Bill James wrote an article entitled "28 men out." It's a play off the Asimof story "Eight men Out," the 1919 Black Sox.

James points to evidence that he researched that pointed the finger at Cobb, Ruth, Speaker and 25 others, including some Cubs who looked like they were involved in gambling activities.

If you read "Eight Men Out," Asimof paints the case that gambling was actually an almost everyday occurance back in the early days of baseball.

Lip

TornLabrum
10-01-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by xil357
WOW

I never had heard of this either?

TornLabrum? Have you heard of this?

WOW

I've never read anything regarding the 1918 Series being fixed. However, I do know that Heinie Zimmerman and Claude Hendrix were among those banned by Landis for throwing games.

It's also true that the grand jury investigation that ultimately broke the Black Sox scandal started as the result of the investigation of an attempt to fix a regular season Cubs game. The Cubs pitcher involved (Hendrix? I'd have to look it up) was benched and Pete Alexander started the game and still lost.

Also of note is that the Cubs home games in the 1918 Series were played at Comiskey Park, which had a larger seating capacity than Cubs Park (as I think it was called then).

TommyJohn
10-02-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I've never read anything regarding the 1918 Series being fixed. However, I do know that Heinie Zimmerman and Claude Hendrix were among those banned by Landis for throwing games.

It's also true that the grand jury investigation that ultimately broke the Black Sox scandal started as the result of the investigation of an attempt to fix a regular season Cubs game. The Cubs pitcher involved (Hendrix? I'd have to look it up) was benched and Pete Alexander started the game and still lost.

Also of note is that the Cubs home games in the 1918 Series were played at Comiskey Park, which had a larger seating capacity than Cubs Park (as I think it was called then).


I believe Hendrix was the pitcher in question for the 1920
game, I forget the catcher.

Many years ago I read parts of "The Hustler's Handbook" by
Bill Veeck. That is the book where Veeck wrote excerpts of
Harry Grabiner's diary. Included was an entry that tabbed
someone a "1918 series fixer." I'm pretty sure the author
of the book on the 1918 series used this as his source
material.

So now, Boob, are the Cubs being "punished" for their ne-
farious activities?

:costas

Uhhhhhh....I named my son after Kirby Puckett.